Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dead Spread

I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely involved
in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had passed
away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by a
reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
service.

Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given our
weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes. There were
croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken salad. There
were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable mix. There was a
very good potato salad, an excellent cheese tray and a tray of crudites,
along with a large assortment of crackers and small breads. There were
numerous condiments, pickles, olives, etc. The homemade desserts included
a fresh peach and cranberry pie, a key lime pie, a chocolate cheesecake,
and a tres leche cake. Beverages included fresh strawberry lemonade,
sweetened and unsweetened iced tea, hot and iced coffee, as well as a large
assortment of soft drinks.

I didn't count heads, but I'm guessing there were around 40-45 people.
There was ample food for everyone and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
I told my doctor I get very tired when I go on a diet, so he gave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright said...

> I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely
> involved in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend
> had passed away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed
> by a reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
> service.
>
> Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given
> our weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes.
> There were croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken
> salad. There were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable
> mix. There was a very good potato salad, an excellent cheese tray and a
> tray of crudites, along with a large assortment of crackers and small
> breads. There were numerous condiments, pickles, olives, etc. The
> homemade desserts included a fresh peach and cranberry pie, a key lime
> pie, a chocolate cheesecake, and a tres leche cake. Beverages included
> fresh strawberry lemonade, sweetened and unsweetened iced tea, hot and
> iced coffee, as well as a large assortment of soft drinks.
>
> I didn't count heads, but I'm guessing there were around 40-45 people.
> There was ample food for everyone and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Wayne,

It's always sad when we lose someone.

Best to you and your best friend.

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely involved
> in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had passed
> away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by a
> reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
> service.
>
> Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given our
> weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes. There were
> croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken salad. There
> were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable mix. There was a
> very good potato salad, an excellent cheese tray and a tray of crudites,
> along with a large assortment of crackers and small breads. There were
> numerous condiments, pickles, olives, etc. The homemade desserts included
> a fresh peach and cranberry pie, a key lime pie, a chocolate cheesecake,
> and a tres leche cake. Beverages included fresh strawberry lemonade,
> sweetened and unsweetened iced tea, hot and iced coffee, as well as a large
> assortment of soft drinks.
>
> I didn't count heads, but I'm guessing there were around 40-45 people.
> There was ample food for everyone and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Nice! Did you bring a dessert, Wayne? Pies and cakes‹very nice.
Around here there *might* be cake, but generally it's bars and/or
cookies. May Alex rest her weary soul. Do you know where the food came
from? It's become de rigeur around here for the food to come from Sam's
or Cub. When my friends' dad died four years ago, the family availed
themselves of Byerly's (local upscale grocery store chain) catering
service. When another friend's sister died, a local Jewish deli put on
the spread.

(What'd you play at the service? I thought David was the organist in
your family.)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 26 Apr 2009 04:11:35p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely
>> involved in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend
>> had passed away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service,
>> followed by a reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for
>> the memorial service.
>>
>> Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given
>> our weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes.
>> There were croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken
>> salad. There were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable
>> mix. There was a very good potato salad, an excellent cheese tray and
>> a tray of crudites, along with a large assortment of crackers and small
>> breads. There were numerous condiments, pickles, olives, etc. The
>> homemade desserts included a fresh peach and cranberry pie, a key lime
>> pie, a chocolate cheesecake, and a tres leche cake. Beverages included
>> fresh strawberry lemonade, sweetened and unsweetened iced tea, hot and
>> iced coffee, as well as a large assortment of soft drinks.
>>
>> I didn't count heads, but I'm guessing there were around 40-45 people.
>> There was ample food for everyone and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

> Nice! Did you bring a dessert, Wayne? Pies and cakes‹very nice.

I baked two fresh peach and cranberry pies. Some other close friends baked
the rest of the desserts.

> Around here there *might* be cake, but generally it's bars and/or
> cookies. May Alex rest her weary soul. Do you know where the food came

She's was a very sweet lady. Her sister, aged 86, died in Kansas the week
before. My friend's first cousin died in mid March. Three hits in less
than two months.

The food came from one of the AJ's stores. We have a privately owned
supermarket chain here in Phoenix called Basha's. The Basha family owns
the upscale AJ's, the above average Basha's supermarkets, and an economy
supermarket chain called Food City. The AJ's markets are really like
oversized gourmet shops.

http://www.ajsfinefoods.com/

> from? It's become de rigeur around here for the food to come from Sam's
> or Cub. When my friends' dad died four years ago, the family availed
> themselves of Byerly's (local upscale grocery store chain) catering
> service. When another friend's sister died, a local Jewish deli put on
> the spread.
>
> (What'd you play at the service? I thought David was the organist in
> your family.)

You're thinking of my former partner, Ken. Among other pursuits, he ws a
church organist. I play both piano and organ. The chapel had a lovely
pipe organ. The family is Methodist and in addition to any othe music,
wanted a number of very old traditional Methodist hymns. Besides those I
pleyed the following:

Handel: Dead March from Saul
Bach: Jesu, joy of man's desiring
Fau Pavane
Beethoven: Adagio from Pathetique Sonata
Pachelbel: Canon in D

--
Wayne Boatwright
A converted cannibal is one who, on Friday, eats only fishermen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.250...
>I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely involved
> in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had passed
> away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by a
> reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
> service.
>
> Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given our
> weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes. There
> were
> croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken salad. There
> were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable mix.

I do not know why I just can't stand Roll-ups. They taste like the're
wrapped in cardboard.

Blegh....

Maybe it's cause I think Flour tortillas are like eating school paste.

Dimitri.

I hope the funeral was a celebration of life how lucky he was to have had
his mother that long.

My FIL had his mother around till he was 80 she passed on when she was 106.

dc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 26 Apr 2009 04:59:24p, Dimitri told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .250...
>>I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely

involved
>> in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had passed
>> away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by a
>> reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
>> service.
>>
>> Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given

our
>> weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes. There
>> were croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken salad.
>> There were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable mix.

> I do not know why I just can't stand Roll-ups. They taste like the're
> wrapped in cardboard.
>
> Blegh....
>
> Maybe it's cause I think Flour tortillas are like eating school paste.

I've had good and bad roll-ups, Dimitri. The bad ones are as you describe.
Good roll-ups usually are made with lighter, thinner, tortillas, and not at
all gluey.

> Dimitri.
>
> I hope the funeral was a celebration of life how lucky he was to have had
> his mother that long.

Definitely a celebration. Her grandaughter, 4 great-grandaughters, and
son-in-law each spoke of events in her life, and the minister was very
uplifting. It was a very nice service.

> My FIL had his mother around till he was 80 she passed on when she was

106.

That's remarkable, but sad that a parent outlives their child.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Cold beer and pizza are spiritual. ~Betsy Cañas Garmon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:59:24 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>I do not know why I just can't stand Roll-ups. They taste like the're
>wrapped in cardboard.
>
>Blegh....
>
>Maybe it's cause I think Flour tortillas are like eating school paste.

Maybe they did it the correct way and used lavash.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.250...
|I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely involved
| in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had passed
| away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by a
| reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
| service.
|
| Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given our
| weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes. There were
| croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken salad. There
| were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable mix. There was a
| very good potato salad, an excellent cheese tray and a tray of crudites,
| along with a large assortment of crackers and small breads. There were
| numerous condiments, pickles, olives, etc. The homemade desserts included
| a fresh peach and cranberry pie, a key lime pie, a chocolate cheesecake,
| and a tres leche cake. Beverages included fresh strawberry lemonade,
| sweetened and unsweetened iced tea, hot and iced coffee, as well as a large
| assortment of soft drinks.
|
| I didn't count heads, but I'm guessing there were around 40-45 people.
| There was ample food for everyone and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Sad but it sounds as if you did very well under what are strenuous
conditions. Simple foods can often be the best solution. Thank you
for having shared this with us.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> Dimitri.
>
> I hope the funeral was a celebration of life how lucky he was to have had
> his mother that long.
>
> My FIL had his mother around till he was 80 she passed on when she was
> 106.
>
> dc

The Boss - her dad lived to 86 her grandmother to 106 Her mom is 92 and
going strong - talk about good genes.....

I told her if she goes first I'll do away with her.

:-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given our
> weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes. There were
> croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken salad. There
> were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable mix. There was a
> very good potato salad, an excellent cheese tray and a tray of crudites,
> along with a large assortment of crackers and small breads. There were
> numerous condiments, pickles, olives, etc. The homemade desserts included
> a fresh peach and cranberry pie, a key lime pie, a chocolate cheesecake,
> and a tres leche cake. Beverages included fresh strawberry lemonade,
> sweetened and unsweetened iced tea, hot and iced coffee, as well as a large
> assortment of soft drinks.
>
> I didn't count heads, but I'm guessing there were around 40-45 people.
> There was ample food for everyone and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Does that qualify as a Sandra Lee Dead Spread- "70% Store bought and 30%
from your pantry" ??

The selection of desserts sounds good-covered all bases (chocolate,
fruit,tart,dairy)
I'd love a good recipe for tres leches cake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 26 Apr 2009 05:17:24p, sf told us...

> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:59:24 -0700, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>>I do not know why I just can't stand Roll-ups. They taste like the're
>>wrapped in cardboard.
>>
>>Blegh....
>>
>>Maybe it's cause I think Flour tortillas are like eating school paste.

> Maybe they did it the correct way and used lavash.

No, I don't think it was lavash. I've had enchiladas made by the market
and the flour tortillas seemed the same as used in the roll-ups. You don't
see lavash in Phoenix very often.

--
Wayne Boatwright
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 26 Apr 2009 05:20:32p, pavane told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .250...
>|I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely
>|involved
>| in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had
>| passed away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by
>| a reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
>| service.
>|
>| Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given
>| our weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes.
>| There were croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken
>| salad. There were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable
>| mix. There was a very good potato salad, an excellent cheese tray and
>| a tray of crudites, along with a large assortment of crackers and small
>| breads. There were numerous condiments, pickles, olives, etc. The
>| homemade desserts included a fresh peach and cranberry pie, a key lime
>| pie, a chocolate cheesecake, and a tres leche cake. Beverages included
>| fresh strawberry lemonade, sweetened and unsweetened iced tea, hot and
>| iced coffee, as well as a large assortment of soft drinks.
>|
>| I didn't count heads, but I'm guessing there were around 40-45 people.
>| There was ample food for everyone and everyone seemed to enjoy it.
>
> Sad but it sounds as if you did very well under what are strenuous
> conditions. Simple foods can often be the best solution. Thank you
> for having shared this with us.
>
> pavane

Thanks, Pavane. Yes, any passing is sad, but both the service and the
reception were filled with fond memories. Everything did go well, and I
think the food choice was perfect.

--
Wayne Boatwright
As the days grow short, some faces grow long. But not mine. Every

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 26 Apr 2009 05:21:55p, Dimitri told us...

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>
>> Dimitri.
>>
>> I hope the funeral was a celebration of life how lucky he was to have

had
>> his mother that long.
>>
>> My FIL had his mother around till he was 80 she passed on when she was
>> 106.
>>
>> dc

> The Boss - her dad lived to 86 her grandmother to 106 Her mom is 92 and
> going strong - talk about good genes.....
>
> I told her if she goes first I'll do away with her.

Good genes, Indeed! We have such on my father's side of the family. I
hope they were passed onto me. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
It's bizarre that the produce manager is more important to my

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 26 Apr 2009 05:32:14p, Goomba told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given
>> our weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes.
>> There were croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken
>> salad. There were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable
>> mix. There was a very good potato salad, an excellent cheese tray and
>> a tray of crudites, along with a large assortment of crackers and small
>> breads. There were numerous condiments, pickles, olives, etc. The
>> homemade desserts included a fresh peach and cranberry pie, a key lime
>> pie, a chocolate cheesecake, and a tres leche cake. Beverages included
>> fresh strawberry lemonade, sweetened and unsweetened iced tea, hot and
>> iced coffee, as well as a large assortment of soft drinks.
>>
>> I didn't count heads, but I'm guessing there were around 40-45 people.
>> There was ample food for everyone and everyone seemed to enjoy it.
>>

> Does that qualify as a Sandra Lee Dead Spread- "70% Store bought and 30%
> from your pantry" ??

Gawd, I hope not. :-) I've never seen anything she presented that I'd want
to eat. The food this shop supplied was all made from scratch, including
the croissants they bake on premise.

> The selection of desserts sounds good-covered all bases (chocolate,
> fruit,tart,dairy)
> I'd love a good recipe for tres leches cake.

The person who brought the tres leches cake said she used Alton Brown's
recipe. It was quite good.

--
Wayne Boatwright
And I find chopsticks frankly distressing. Am I alone in thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm sorry to hear of your friend's loss. I have two friends now with
parents near death, ironically both in the same city (Chattanooga). One
is 96 with Parkinsons: the other has Alziemers with a brain bleed from a
fall, aged 86. I think the 86 year old will go first, but either way;
we're in for a dead spread soon.

You can never go wrong with "Jesu, man of man's desiring", be it funeral
or wedding. I love that piece of music. I also love "Amazing Grace" at
a funeral

Libby

..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely involved
> in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had passed
> away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by a
> reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
> service.
>
> Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given our
> weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes. There were
> croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken salad. There
> were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable mix. There was a
> very good potato salad, an excellent cheese tray and a tray of crudites,
> along with a large assortment of crackers and small breads. There were
> numerous condiments, pickles, olives, etc. The homemade desserts included
> a fresh peach and cranberry pie, a key lime pie, a chocolate cheesecake,
> and a tres leche cake. Beverages included fresh strawberry lemonade,
> sweetened and unsweetened iced tea, hot and iced coffee, as well as a large
> assortment of soft drinks.
>
> I didn't count heads, but I'm guessing there were around 40-45 people.
> There was ample food for everyone and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

I am sorry about your friend's mother's death, Wayne. I see you
have been busy the last few days.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 26 Apr 2009 06:07:16p, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely
>> involved in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend
>> had passed away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service,
>> followed by a reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for
>> the memorial service.
>>
>> Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given
>> our weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes.
>> There were croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken
>> salad. There were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable
>> mix. There was a very good potato salad, an excellent cheese tray and
>> a tray of crudites, along with a large assortment of crackers and small
>> breads. There were numerous condiments, pickles, olives, etc. The
>> homemade desserts included a fresh peach and cranberry pie, a key lime
>> pie, a chocolate cheesecake, and a tres leche cake. Beverages included
>> fresh strawberry lemonade, sweetened and unsweetened iced tea, hot and
>> iced coffee, as well as a large assortment of soft drinks.
>>
>> I didn't count heads, but I'm guessing there were around 40-45 people.
>> There was ample food for everyone and everyone seemed to enjoy it.
>>

> I am sorry about your friend's mother's death, Wayne. I see you
> have been busy the last few days.

Thank you, Jean...

--
Wayne Boatwright
I refuse to believe that trading recipes is silly. Tuna fish

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.250...
> I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely
> involved
> in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had passed
> away at age 90.

Sorry about that. Life sucks, then you die.

I don't mean to be crude, that's just the way it is.

I am sorry. At least she made it to 90,

Aloha,
TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 26 Apr 2009 11:37:47p, TFM® told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .250...
>> I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely
>> involved in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend
>> had passed away at age 90.

> Sorry about that. Life sucks, then you die.
>
> I don't mean to be crude, that's just the way it is.
>
> I am sorry. At least she made it to 90,
>
> Aloha,
> TFM®

Thanks, Allan. Yes, that is the way it is. No one escapes alive. At
least she lived a long and happy life, and made her family very happy as
well.

--
Wayne Boatwright
The bagel, an unsweetened doughnut with rigor mortis. ~Beatrice &

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 23:31:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> You're thinking of my former partner, Ken. Among other pursuits, he ws a
> church organist. I play both piano and organ. The chapel had a lovely
> pipe organ. The family is Methodist and in addition to any othe music,
> wanted a number of very old traditional Methodist hymns. Besides those I
> pleyed the following:
>

> Pachelbel: Canon in D

i thought this last one was more associated with weddings. <insert crude
joke here>

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

blake murphy wrote:

> i thought this last one was more associated with weddings. <insert crude
> joke here>

An oldie but a goodie ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

--Lin (the guy's comedy rant is right-on!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
.250:

> I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely
> involved in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend
> had passed away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service,
> followed by a reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for
> the memorial service.
>
> Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given
> our weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes.
> There were croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken
> salad. There were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable
> mix. There was a very good potato salad, an excellent cheese tray and
> a tray of crudites, along with a large assortment of crackers and
> small breads. There were numerous condiments, pickles, olives, etc.
> The homemade desserts included a fresh peach and cranberry pie, a key
> lime pie, a chocolate cheesecake, and a tres leche cake. Beverages
> included fresh strawberry lemonade, sweetened and unsweetened iced
> tea, hot and iced coffee, as well as a large assortment of soft
> drinks.
>
> I didn't count heads, but I'm guessing there were around 40-45 people.
> There was ample food for everyone and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

wow. sounds like a real hoedown.
grimey *******.

--
tommy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Duh'Weenie hummed:

>I played the organ for the memorial service.

And I bet it was memorable. hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 27 Apr 2009 06:50:54a, blake murphy told us...

> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 23:31:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> You're thinking of my former partner, Ken. Among other pursuits, he ws

>> church organist. I play both piano and organ. The chapel had a lovely
>> pipe organ. The family is Methodist and in addition to any othe music,
>> wanted a number of very old traditional Methodist hymns. Besides those

>> pleyed the following:
>>

>> Pachelbel: Canon in D

> i thought this last one was more associated with weddings. <insert crude
> joke here>
>
> your pal,
> blake

It's often used at weddings, but is also nice to play as people are exiting
a memorial service.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 27 Apr 2009 07:32:03a, tommy told us...

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> .250:
>
>> I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely
>> involved in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend
>> had passed away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service,
>> followed by a reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for
>> the memorial service.
>>
>> Only the desserts were homemade, but everything was very good. Given
>> our weather (yesterday it was 90 degrees} there were no hot dishes.
>> There were croissant sandwiches of tender roast beef, ham, and chicken
>> salad. There were also roll-ups of turkey and a very tasty vegetable
>> mix. There was a very good potato salad, an excellent cheese tray and
>> a tray of crudites, along with a large assortment of crackers and
>> small breads. There were numerous condiments, pickles, olives, etc.
>> The homemade desserts included a fresh peach and cranberry pie, a key
>> lime pie, a chocolate cheesecake, and a tres leche cake. Beverages
>> included fresh strawberry lemonade, sweetened and unsweetened iced
>> tea, hot and iced coffee, as well as a large assortment of soft
>> drinks.
>>
>> I didn't count heads, but I'm guessing there were around 40-45 people.
>> There was ample food for everyone and everyone seemed to enjoy it.
>>

> wow. sounds like a real hoedown.
> grimey *******.

<g> Yes, it was very nice.

--
Wayne Boatwright
I have long believed that good food, good eating is all about risk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 23:31:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> > You're thinking of my former partner, Ken. Among other pursuits, he ws

> > church organist. I play both piano and organ. The chapel had a lovely
> > pipe organ. The family is Methodist and in addition to any othe music,
> > wanted a number of very old traditional Methodist hymns. Besides those

> > pleyed the following:
> >

> > Pachelbel: Canon in D

> i thought this last one was more associated with weddings. <insert crude
> joke here>

Organist fags like Lil' Wayne generally have very poor taste, it runs to the
maudlin, dopey, and saccharine, not to say "obvious"...

--
Best
Greg

"The trouble with socialism is that you eventually run out of other
people's money."~~~~Margaret Thatcher

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> Duh'Weenie hummed:
> >
> >I played the organ for the memorial service.
> >

> And I bet it was memorable. hehe

Hopefully Lil' Wayne took his choppers out...

;-P

--
Best
Greg

"The trouble with socialism is that you eventually run out of other
people's money."~~~~Margaret Thatcher

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.250...
>I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely involved
> in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had passed
> away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by a
> reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
> service.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friends mother.

I've never understood "dead spreads". I know my mother wasn't fond of the
idea. It's like throwing a party because someone died. My mother didn't
want to have a "reception" after my father died. The funeral home actually
asked me if we were going to do this and wanted to print invitations for
her. That would be a NO. They also wanted to bring over a funeral wreath
to hang on the front door. Sorry but no one is wearing black crepe for a
year, either.

Back in the day (as they say) the "dead spread " was to help tide the family
over because the grieving widow(er) certainly would be so prostrate with
grief they couldn't possibly cook for the family for at least a week.
Hence, Barb Schaller's hot dish heaven

From your account it's a catered affair with crystal glasses, champagne
flowing and copious desserts. Sounds more like a party to me.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .250...
>>I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely
>>involved
>> in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had passed
>> away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by a
>> reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
>> service.
>>

> I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friends mother.
>
> I've never understood "dead spreads". I

> Jill

IMHO one needs to remember funerals are for the living. The dead don't care.
All or most all of the rituals are designed to assist the living in their
final acceptance of their loss.

In the Russian and many other Eastern European traditions at the end of the
graveside service we each throw a piece of dirt.

The purpose of the dead spread, again IMHO serves 2 purposes. First it keeps
the family busy while they grow in their acceptance, and secondly by the
friends coming up and sharing their sorrow, the sorrow is somehow lessened.

A sorrow shared is 1/2 a sorrow
A joy shared is twice a joy.

Dimitri

For more on this search "sacred art of Dying"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .250...
>> I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely
>> involved
>> in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had passed
>> away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by a
>> reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
>> service.
>>

> I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friends mother.
>
> I've never understood "dead spreads". I know my mother wasn't fond of
> the idea. It's like throwing a party because someone died. My mother
> didn't want to have a "reception" after my father died. The funeral
> home actually asked me if we were going to do this and wanted to print
> invitations for her. That would be a NO. They also wanted to bring
> over a funeral wreath to hang on the front door. Sorry but no one is
> wearing black crepe for a year, either.
>
> Back in the day (as they say) the "dead spread " was to help tide the
> family over because the grieving widow(er) certainly would be so
> prostrate with grief they couldn't possibly cook for the family for at
> least a week. Hence, Barb Schaller's hot dish heaven
>
> From your account it's a catered affair with crystal glasses,
> champagne flowing and copious desserts. Sounds more like a party to me.
>
> Jill

The way I see it, there is no right or wrong, each of us view things
differently. I did not know the departed, but when I croak, I want there
to be a party. There should be champagne and cocktails, a delicious
assortment of nibbles and noshes. Life goes on, people should live,
laugh and love. They should tell tales of things I did, and things they
think I did. My wish, is to be cremated with my memorial done at sea
and my ashes sprinkled in the Caribbean. I will be so jealous that I
missed the party. lol

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I've never understood "dead spreads". I know my mother wasn't fond of
> the idea. It's like throwing a party because someone died. My mother
> didn't want to have a "reception" after my father died.

It does presume you have friends and family who want to get together and
share memories, laughs, tears and the like together. Not too unlike an
Irish wake. And to refresh those who may have traveled great distances
to the funeral....

> The funeral
> home actually asked me if we were going to do this and wanted to print
> invitations for her.

NEVER have I heard of "invitations" to this sort of thing! Perhaps they
were asking you if you wanted to just add a printed notice that to the
funeral program or obituary the family would welcome mourners after the
service blah blah blah. Sometimes your social skills (or lack thereof)
surprise me, and you seem to interpret things in such an odd way.

That would be a NO. They also wanted to bring
> over a funeral wreath to hang on the front door. Sorry but no one is
> wearing black crepe for a year, either.

> Back in the day (as they say) the "dead spread " was to help tide the
> family over because the grieving widow(er) certainly would be so
> prostrate with grief they couldn't possibly cook for the family for at
> least a week. Hence, Barb Schaller's hot dish heaven

Different functions. In my family, the dead spread is not provided by
the attendees after the service, but they might have sent something over
for the family to partake of during times of illness or during a period
of mourning.

> From your account it's a catered affair with crystal glasses, champagne
> flowing and copious desserts. Sounds more like a party to me.
>
> Jill

Some of us have people in our lives that will come for a funeral.
Families often have their best impromptu family reunions during these
funerals. That YOUR family doesn't does in no way make it the norm.
Celebrating someone's life or time for mutual support after their
funeral is very traditional.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:30:00 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .250...
>>I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely involved
>> in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had passed
>> away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by a
>> reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
>> service.
>>

> I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friends mother.
>
> I've never understood "dead spreads". I know my mother wasn't fond of the
> idea. It's like throwing a party because someone died. My mother didn't
> want to have a "reception" after my father died. The funeral home actually
> asked me if we were going to do this and wanted to print invitations for
> her. That would be a NO. They also wanted to bring over a funeral wreath
> to hang on the front door. Sorry but no one is wearing black crepe for a
> year, either.
>
> Back in the day (as they say) the "dead spread " was to help tide the family
> over because the grieving widow(er) certainly would be so prostrate with
> grief they couldn't possibly cook for the family for at least a week.
> Hence, Barb Schaller's hot dish heaven
>
> From your account it's a catered affair with crystal glasses, champagne
> flowing and copious desserts. Sounds more like a party to me.
>
> Jill

people who likely haven't seen each other in a while would like to have a
drink and a nosh. it doesn't seem odd to me.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> .250...
>>> I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely
>>> involved
>>> in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had passed
>>> away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by a
>>> reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
>>> service.
>>>

>> I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friends mother.
>>
>> I've never understood "dead spreads". I know my mother wasn't fond of
>> the idea. It's like throwing a party because someone died. My mother
>> didn't want to have a "reception" after my father died. The funeral home
>> actually asked me if we were going to do this and wanted to print
>> invitations for her. That would be a NO. They also wanted to bring over
>> a funeral wreath to hang on the front door. Sorry but no one is wearing
>> black crepe for a year, either.
>>
>> Back in the day (as they say) the "dead spread " was to help tide the
>> family over because the grieving widow(er) certainly would be so
>> prostrate with grief they couldn't possibly cook for the family for at
>> least a week. Hence, Barb Schaller's hot dish heaven
>>
>> From your account it's a catered affair with crystal glasses, champagne
>> flowing and copious desserts. Sounds more like a party to me.
>>
>> Jill

> The way I see it, there is no right or wrong, each of us view things
> differently. I did not know the departed, but when I croak, I want there
> to be a party. There should be champagne and cocktails, a delicious
> assortment of nibbles and noshes. Life goes on, people should live, laugh
> and love. They should tell tales of things I did, and things they think I
> did. My wish, is to be cremated with my memorial done at sea and my ashes
> sprinkled in the Caribbean. I will be so jealous that I missed the
> party. lol
>

> Becca

That's what I'd call a wake

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote in news:75omlnF18q7nuU1
@mid.individual.net:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I've never understood "dead spreads". I know my mother wasn't fond of
>> the idea. It's like throwing a party because someone died. My mother
>> didn't want to have a "reception" after my father died.

Well, Jillymac, it seems like she just wanted to get rid of him, and be
done with it. Out of sight, out of mind.

There are lots of people in the world that actually *care* for the people
who have died, and *really* miss them.
And they get together and commiserate, or celebrate, that persons life. It
shows that actually 'gave a ****' about the dead one.

> It does presume you have friends and family who want to get together and
> share memories, laughs, tears and the like together. Not too unlike an
> Irish wake. And to refresh those who may have traveled great distances
> to the funeral....

Gooms, I think Jillymac is beyond help. She's stuck in the "My mother
didn't want it, so neither do I" mould. So sad.

Me...... I couldn't give a rats arse about the funeral bit, I've told the
SO to either;
a) Have me in an open casket in the middle of the room and have a huge
bloody party while I'm there, or,
b) have me cremated quickly and quietly, and put me in the middle of the
room while the party (which is written in my Will) goes on around me.

I want people to get together and talk about all the little things that
have gone on in the past, which I have forgotten about, or have just
forgotten to tell anyone else about. To laugh, hopefully not cry, but just
to get all the 'fractions' in my life together at one time.

I've set aside $10,000 in my Will for the 'celebration'.

> Sometimes your social skills (or lack thereof)
> surprise me, and you seem to interpret things in such an odd way.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Now *that's* an understatement!!!

>> From your account it's a catered affair with crystal glasses,

champagne
>> flowing and copious desserts. Sounds more like a party to me.

And a bloody good party at that!!

>> Jill

> Celebrating someone's life or time for mutual support after their
> funeral is very traditional.

Indeed.

I have 'buried' my fair share of friends/family (getting close to 200
now), and *always* celebrate their lives afterwards.

I learnt to celebrate, rather than mourn, around about #10.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown needlessly wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .250...
> >I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely

involved
> > in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had passed
> > away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by a
> > reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
> > service.
> >

> I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friends mother.

You weren't even sorry about your *own* mother's passing, vulture, who do ya
think you are kiddin, LOL...???

> I've never understood "dead spreads". I know my mother wasn't fond of the
> idea. It's like throwing a party because someone died. My mother didn't
> want to have a "reception" after my father died. The funeral home

actually
> asked me if we were going to do this and wanted to print invitations for
> her. That would be a NO. They also wanted to bring over a funeral wreath
> to hang on the front door. Sorry but no one is wearing black crepe for a
> year, either.

Of course not, vultures move on to their next mess of carrion...

> Back in the day (as they say) the "dead spread " was to help tide the

family
> over because the grieving widow(er) certainly would be so prostrate with
> grief they couldn't possibly cook for the family for at least a week.
> Hence, Barb Schaller's hot dish heaven
>
> From your account it's a catered affair with crystal glasses, champagne
> flowing and copious desserts. Sounds more like a party to me.

Don't worry, if it's at all a pleasant gathering you *won't* be invited...

--
Best
Greg

"The trouble with socialism is that you eventually run out of other
people's money."~~~~Margaret Thatcher

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:30:00 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> > .250...
> >>I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely

involved
> >> in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had

passed
> >> away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed by a
> >> reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the memorial
> >> service.
> >>

> > I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friends mother.
> >
> > I've never understood "dead spreads". I know my mother wasn't fond of

the
> > idea. It's like throwing a party because someone died. My mother

didn't
> > want to have a "reception" after my father died. The funeral home

actually
> > asked me if we were going to do this and wanted to print invitations for
> > her. That would be a NO. They also wanted to bring over a funeral

wreath
> > to hang on the front door. Sorry but no one is wearing black crepe for

> > year, either.
> >
> > Back in the day (as they say) the "dead spread " was to help tide the

family
> > over because the grieving widow(er) certainly would be so prostrate with
> > grief they couldn't possibly cook for the family for at least a week.
> > Hence, Barb Schaller's hot dish heaven
> >
> > From your account it's a catered affair with crystal glasses, champagne
> > flowing and copious desserts. Sounds more like a party to me.
> >
> > Jill

> people who likely haven't seen each other in a while would like to have a
> drink and a nosh. it doesn't seem odd to me.

It's a pretty good bet that no one really wants to "see" Jill under any
circumstances...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> I did not know the departed, but when I croak, I want there to be a party.

I think we can all be pretty sure that there will be a helluva party when
Sheldon finally becomes worm food. (I mean earthworms, that is, not the
pinworms which already infest him.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Becca" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> .250...
>>>>
>>> I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friends mother.
>>>
>>> I've never understood "dead spreads". I know my mother wasn't fond
>>> of the idea. It's like throwing a party because someone died. My
>>> mother didn't want to have a "reception" after my father died. The
>>> funeral home actually asked me if we were going to do this and wanted
>>> to print invitations for her. That would be a NO. They also wanted
>>> to bring over a funeral wreath to hang on the front door. Sorry but
>>> no one is wearing black crepe for a year, either.
>>>
>>> Back in the day (as they say) the "dead spread " was to help tide the
>>> family over because the grieving widow(er) certainly would be so
>>> prostrate with grief they couldn't possibly cook for the family for
>>> at least a week. Hence, Barb Schaller's hot dish heaven
>>>
>>> From your account it's a catered affair with crystal glasses,
>>> champagne flowing and copious desserts. Sounds more like a party to me.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> The way I see it, there is no right or wrong, each of us view things
>> differently. I did not know the departed, but when I croak, I want
>> there to be a party. There should be champagne and cocktails, a
>> delicious assortment of nibbles and noshes. Life goes on, people
>> should live, laugh and love. They should tell tales of things I did,
>> and things they think I did. My wish, is to be cremated with my
>> memorial done at sea and my ashes sprinkled in the Caribbean. I will
>> be so jealous that I missed the party. lol
>>

>> Becca

> That's what I'd call a wake
>
> Jill

What do you call a sick individual who posts a thread titled "Waiting
for the the undertaker"?

-dk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>
>> I did not know the departed, but when I croak, I want there to be a party.

> I think we can all be pretty sure that there will be a helluva party when
> Sheldon finally becomes worm food. (I mean earthworms, that is, not the
> pinworms which already infest him.)
>
> Bob

I agree with this post.

-dk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 28 Apr 2009 07:14:14a, Dimitri told us...

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> .250...
>>>I never thought I'd be posting about one of these since I'm rarely
>>>involved
>>> in a funeral. But here we were, the mother of my best friend had
>>> passed away at age 90. There was to be a memorial service, followed
>>> by a reception at my friend's home. I played the organ for the
>>> memorial service.
>>>

>> I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friends mother.
>>
>> I've never understood "dead spreads". I

>> Jill

> IMHO one needs to remember funerals are for the living. The dead don't
> care. All or most all of the rituals are designed to assist the living
> in their final acceptance of their loss.
>
> In the Russian and many other Eastern European traditions at the end of
> the graveside service we each throw a piece of dirt.
>
> The purpose of the dead spread, again IMHO serves 2 purposes. First it
> keeps the family busy while they grow in their acceptance, and secondly
> by the friends coming up and sharing their sorrow, the sorrow is
> somehow lessened.
>
> A sorrow shared is 1/2 a sorrow
> A joy shared is twice a joy.
>
> Dimitri
>
> For more on this search "sacred art of Dying"

Amen.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Recipe: A series of step ~by ~step instructions for preparing

Dead Spread Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 18 28-10-2014 06:21 AM
Walking Dead dead spread? sf[_9_] General Cooking 1 10-02-2014 01:13 AM
Dead Spread Dimitri General Cooking 13 06-10-2009 12:41 AM
Another Dead Spread Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 50 23-08-2006 09:56 PM
My first dead spread Nancy Young General Cooking 74 04-05-2006 08:29 PM