Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oatmeal raisin cookies smoke while cooking on a heavy-duty sheet

I use two cookie sheets for baking the recipe. One is a Pyrex
professional metal sheet. (If you google on "Pyrex Professional Large
Flat Cookie Sheet", you'll see it in the second photo for amazon.com.)
The other is a no-name non-stick sheet.

Normal cooking time is 11 minutes at 375F. I use both sheets at once.
Shortly before time is up, smoke comes from the oven. The raisins on the
Pyrex sheet seem to be the cause. Oddly, the cookie bottoms are NOT
burned (or even darker), and the cookies taste just as good as those on
the other sheet.

I tried reducing the temperature to 350 and cooking an extra minute.
Still some smoke, but not as much.

I grease both sheets with butter.

Any ideas why the smoke for the heavy-duty Pyrex sheet, but not the other?

Thanks,

Ray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ray K" > wrote in message
>I use two cookie sheets for baking the recipe. One is a Pyrex professional
>metal sheet. (If you google on "Pyrex Professional Large Flat Cookie
>Sheet", you'll see it in the second photo for amazon.com.) The other is a
>no-name non-stick sheet.
>
> Normal cooking time is 11 minutes at 375F. I use both sheets at once.
> Shortly before time is up, smoke comes from the oven. The raisins on the
> Pyrex sheet seem to be the cause. Oddly, the cookie bottoms are NOT burned
> (or even darker), and the cookies taste just as good as those on the other
> sheet.
>
> I tried reducing the temperature to 350 and cooking an extra minute. Still
> some smoke, but not as much.
>
> I grease both sheets with butter.
>
> Any ideas why the smoke for the heavy-duty Pyrex sheet, but not the other?

Why did you use butter?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ray K" > wrote in message
>I use two cookie sheets for baking the recipe. One is a Pyrex professional
>metal sheet. (If you google on "Pyrex Professional Large Flat Cookie
>Sheet", you'll see it in the second photo for amazon.com.) The other is a
>no-name non-stick sheet.
>
> Normal cooking time is 11 minutes at 375F. I use both sheets at once.
> Shortly before time is up, smoke comes from the oven. The raisins on the
> Pyrex sheet seem to be the cause. Oddly, the cookie bottoms are NOT burned
> (or even darker), and the cookies taste just as good as those on the other
> sheet.
>
> I tried reducing the temperature to 350 and cooking an extra minute. Still
> some smoke, but not as much.
>
> I grease both sheets with butter.
>
> Any ideas why the smoke for the heavy-duty Pyrex sheet, but not the other?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ray

Yes, you'l need a lower temperature - see the lst paragraph.

http://www.wise4living.com/khcookware/glass.htm

Dimitri

Glass cookware, nowadays, consists primarily of bakeware dishes in various
shapes, liquid measuring cups, and mixing bowls, all made of borosilicate
glass, the same kind used for laboratory ware. Corning Pyrex glass cookware
can withstand severe temperature differentials, such as cold liquid on the
inside and a direct flame on the outside. It is subject to chipping,
scratching, and cracking, though. Such minor damage, if liquid works its way
in and then is subject to rapid heating, can cause the glass to shatter.
When this happens in the oven, it makes a mess, but at least nobody is hit
by flying glass. Fear of such catastrophic failure on the stovetop may be
the reason few, if any, ceramic glass cookware pots and pans are made
anymore.

Corning Ware glass cookware also includes tempered glass lids, widely
available on the Corning lines of cookware as well as available separately.
Glass appliance covers can be one solid piece or may be fitted with metal or
metal and plastic handles as well as metal rims to guard against damage.

Glass bakeware dishes behave differently from metal bakeware. Porcelain
glass cookware heats up and cool down more slowly and help prevent a thick
crust from forming on casseroles, brownies, and other foods. Generally, to
adapt a recipe from a metal dish to a glass dish, you should lower the
baking temperature by 25 degrees and allow a bit of extra time in the oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 6:15*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Ray K" > wrote in message

> >I use two cookie sheets for baking the recipe. One is a Pyrex professional
> >metal sheet. (If you google on "Pyrex Professional Large Flat Cookie
> >Sheet", you'll see it in the second photo for amazon.com.) The other is a
> >no-name non-stick sheet.

> > Normal cooking time is 11 minutes at 375F. I use both sheets at once.
> > Shortly before time is up, smoke comes from the oven. The raisins on the
> > Pyrex sheet seem to be the cause. Oddly, the cookie bottoms are NOT burned
> > (or even darker), and the cookies taste just as good as those on the other
> > sheet.

> > I tried reducing the temperature to 350 and cooking an extra minute. Still
> > some smoke, but not as much.

> > I grease both sheets with butter.

> > Any ideas why the smoke for the heavy-duty Pyrex sheet, but not the other?

> > Thanks,

> > Ray

> Yes, you'l need a lower temperature - see the lst paragraph.
>
> http://www.wise4living.com/khcookware/glass.htm
>
> Dimitri

But he said it was a pyrex _metal_ sheet, not glass. That threw me at
first.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat said...

> "Ray K" > wrote in message
>>I use two cookie sheets for baking the recipe. One is a Pyrex
>>professional metal sheet. (If you google on "Pyrex Professional Large
>>Flat Cookie Sheet", you'll see it in the second photo for amazon.com.)
>>The other is a no-name non-stick sheet.
>>
>> Normal cooking time is 11 minutes at 375F. I use both sheets at once.
>> Shortly before time is up, smoke comes from the oven. The raisins on
>> the Pyrex sheet seem to be the cause. Oddly, the cookie bottoms are NOT
>> burned (or even darker), and the cookies taste just as good as those on
>> the other sheet.
>>
>> I tried reducing the temperature to 350 and cooking an extra minute.
>> Still some smoke, but not as much.
>>
>> I grease both sheets with butter.
>>
>> Any ideas why the smoke for the heavy-duty Pyrex sheet, but not the
>> other?
>>

> Why did you use butter?

Why didn't you use cut to fit parchment paper lightly oiled or oil-sprayed?

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 18:05:28 -0400, Ray K >
> wrote:
>
>>I use two cookie sheets for baking the recipe. One is a Pyrex
>>professional metal sheet. (If you google on "Pyrex Professional Large
>>Flat Cookie Sheet", you'll see it in the second photo for amazon.com.)
>>The other is a no-name non-stick sheet.
>>
>>Normal cooking time is 11 minutes at 375F. I use both sheets at once.
>>Shortly before time is up, smoke comes from the oven. The raisins on the
>>Pyrex sheet seem to be the cause. Oddly, the cookie bottoms are NOT
>>burned (or even darker), and the cookies taste just as good as those on
>>the other sheet.
>>
>>I tried reducing the temperature to 350 and cooking an extra minute.
>>Still some smoke, but not as much.
>>
>>I grease both sheets with butter.
>>
>>Any ideas why the smoke for the heavy-duty Pyrex sheet, but not the other?

> Generally, you shouldn't need to grease the sheet for
> oatmeal (OR chocolate chip) cookies, they 'lubricate'
> themselves from the butter in the recipe.

Sometimes they're Olde Tyme cookies, then they need a dab of KY Jelly.

I always brush my metal cookie sheets with a thin coat of Crisco, then like
with pancake griddles you don't need more for each batch. And the trick is
not to let them cool in the pan, tap the edge of the pan to loosen and
remove cookies right away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Ray K" > wrote in message
> >I use two cookie sheets for baking the recipe. One is a Pyrex professional
> >metal sheet. (If you google on "Pyrex Professional Large Flat Cookie
> >Sheet", you'll see it in the second photo for amazon.com.) The other is a
> >no-name non-stick sheet.
> >
> > Normal cooking time is 11 minutes at 375F. I use both sheets at once.
> > Shortly before time is up, smoke comes from the oven. The raisins on the
> > Pyrex sheet seem to be the cause. Oddly, the cookie bottoms are NOT burned
> > (or even darker), and the cookies taste just as good as those on the other
> > sheet.
> >
> > I tried reducing the temperature to 350 and cooking an extra minute. Still
> > some smoke, but not as much.
> >
> > I grease both sheets with butter.
> >
> > Any ideas why the smoke for the heavy-duty Pyrex sheet, but not the other?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ray

> Yes, you'l need a lower temperature - see the lst paragraph.
>
> http://www.wise4living.com/khcookware/glass.htm
>

> Dimitri
>
> Glass cookware, nowadays, consists primarily of bakeware dishes in various
> shapes, liquid measuring cups, and mixing bowls, all made of borosilicate
> glass, the same kind used for laboratory ware. Corning Pyrex glass cookware
> can withstand severe temperature differentials, such as cold liquid on the
> inside and a direct flame on the outside. It is subject to chipping,
> scratching, and cracking, though. Such minor damage, if liquid works its way
> in and then is subject to rapid heating, can cause the glass to shatter.
> When this happens in the oven, it makes a mess, but at least nobody is hit
> by flying glass. Fear of such catastrophic failure on the stovetop may be
> the reason few, if any, ceramic glass cookware pots and pans are made
> anymore.
>
> Corning Ware glass cookware also includes tempered glass lids, widely
> available on the Corning lines of cookware as well as available separately.
> Glass appliance covers can be one solid piece or may be fitted with metal or
> metal and plastic handles as well as metal rims to guard against damage.
>
> Glass bakeware dishes behave differently from metal bakeware. Porcelain
> glass cookware heats up and cool down more slowly and help prevent a thick
> crust from forming on casseroles, brownies, and other foods. Generally, to
> adapt a recipe from a metal dish to a glass dish, you should lower the
> baking temperature by 25 degrees and allow a bit of extra time in the oven.

Yahbut he had a metal sheet.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 19:09:29 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Yahbut he had a metal sheet.

Parchment paper is a cheap investment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 8:24*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:

> Parchment paper is a cheap investment. *

I second the parchment paper. Wish I'd bought some years ago. It can
be used a number of times, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ray K wrote:
> I use two cookie sheets for baking the recipe. One is a Pyrex
> professional metal sheet. (If you google on "Pyrex Professional Large
> Flat Cookie Sheet", you'll see it in the second photo for amazon.com.)
> The other is a no-name non-stick sheet.
>
> Normal cooking time is 11 minutes at 375F. I use both sheets at once.
> Shortly before time is up, smoke comes from the oven. The raisins on the
> Pyrex sheet seem to be the cause. Oddly, the cookie bottoms are NOT
> burned (or even darker), and the cookies taste just as good as those on
> the other sheet.
>
> I tried reducing the temperature to 350 and cooking an extra minute.
> Still some smoke, but not as much.
>
> I grease both sheets with butter.
>
> Any ideas why the smoke for the heavy-duty Pyrex sheet, but not the other?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ray

Thanks to all for the good tips. I will try parchment paper next time.

To answer some of the other comments:

1.I butter the sheets because I have some left over in the dish I use to
soften it before adding to the sugars. I apply it with a paper towel.

2. I let the cookies rest on the sheets for six minutes after removing
from the oven, trying to let them firm up before removing. On the Pyrex
sheet, they tend to stick to the sheet; they are much easier to remove
from the greased cheap sheet. I'll have to try brooklyn1's tip to tap
the pan to loosen and remove the cookies immediately. I may have to
increase the in-oven time a bit to compensate for the cooking that
continues while the cookies were on the sheets for six minutes outside
the oven.

3. I'll also experiment with no greasing of any kind on the sheets,
relying on the butter in the batter instead, as The Other Guy suggested.

Thanks again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 00:45:41 -0400, Ray K >
wrote:

>3. I'll also experiment with no greasing of any kind on the sheets,
>relying on the butter in the batter instead, as The Other Guy suggested.

I think that will take care of your problem. Good luck and report
back when you get a chance!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.