Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another Meyer Lemon Coffee Cake

I found this recipe from Stewart to be a more complex coffee cake, but
the final effort was delicious. The basic batter (without the
additions of the lemons) is a perfect sour cream batter for the
addition of any ingredients, i.e. blueberries, sliced apples, peaches.
@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Meyer Lemon Coffee Cake

breakfast, cakes

for the streusel
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon coarse salt
6 oz cold unsalted butter
for the cake
5 Meyer Lemons; paper thin slice
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
4 oz unsalted butter, room temperature,; plus more for pan
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons finely grated Meyer lemon zest
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
for the glaze
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice

Make the streusel: Mix together flour, brown sugar, and salt. Using a
pastry cutter or your fingers, cut butter into the flour mixture until
small to medium clumps form. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to use
(up to 3 days).

Make the cake: Cook lemon slices in a medium saucepan of simmering
water for 1 minute. Drain, and repeat. Arrange lemon slices in a
single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch angel food cake pan.

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat
butter, granulated sugar, and lemon zest with a mixer on medium speed
in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. With the
mixer running, add eggs, 1 at a time, then the vanilla. Reduce speed
to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with sour
cream. Spoon 1/2 of the batter evenly into cake pan. Arrange 1/2 of
the lemon slices in a single layer over the batter. Spread remaining
batter evenly over the top. Cover with the remaining lemon slices in a
single layer.

Sprinkle the chilled streusel evenly over the batter. Bake until cake
is golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean,
about 55 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack set over a baking sheet,
and let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of
the pan, and remove outer ring. Let cool on rack for 15 minutes. Run a
knife around the center tube.

Slide 2 wide spatulas between the bottom of the cake and the pan, and
lift cake to remove from the center tube. Let cool completely on rack.

Make the glaze: Just before serving, stir together confectioners'
sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Drizzle over cooled cake,
letting excess drip down the sides. Let glaze set before slicing,
about 5 minutes. (Cake can be stored for up to 3 days. The lemon
flavor will intensify with time.)

Helpful Hint: Mildly acidic Meyer lemons are available from late
fall through early spring. For the rind to soften and sweeten
sufficiently during baking or roasting, slice the lemon to
near-transparent thinness. A mandoline, a handheld slicer, or a sharp
knife and a steady hand will do the trick.

Notes: M Stewart

Yield: 10 servings

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:
> I found this recipe from Stewart to be a more complex coffee cake, but
> the final effort was delicious.

> Make the glaze: Just before serving, stir together confectioners'
> sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Drizzle over cooled cake,
> letting excess drip down the sides. Let glaze set before slicing,
> about 5 minutes. (Cake can be stored for up to 3 days. The lemon
> flavor will intensify with time.)
>
> Helpful Hint: Mildly acidic Meyer lemons are available from late
> fall through early spring. For the rind to soften and sweeten
> sufficiently during baking or roasting, slice the lemon to
> near-transparent thinness. A mandoline, a handheld slicer, or a sharp
> knife and a steady hand will do the trick.
>
> Notes: M Stewart

i have about a dozen meyer lemons left on the tree behind the
mobile...i'll probably make this up tonite.

harriet & critters in azusa ca (j j the 14 1/2 year old jack russell
terrior and ms faddy tabby catty the 18 lb maine coon lady cat)

Meyer Lemon Zest Nonny Barbecue 7 18-07-2009 06:49 PM
Meyer Lemon & Tequila 8-) koko General Cooking 3 31-12-2007 07:28 AM
Poached Salmon with Lemon Crisps and Meyer Lemon Cream becky Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2007 02:42 AM
I UNDERSTAND ENTENMANN'S HAS DISCONTINUED THEIR LEMON COFFEE CAKE Robert Hovland Marketplace 0 27-06-2005 06:23 AM
The Creamery's Meyer Lemon Cake? Opvidfan General Cooking 0 09-06-2004 03:22 AM