Old 13-04-2009, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Safeway "Rancher's Reserve"

Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior, "grade"
of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA Select, at
least for some cuts? I found out when I bought a whole rib roast which was
still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was identified as
Select. Never would have known had they cut it up and put it in the display
case.

Paul Barrett

Old 13-04-2009, 06:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Paul & Robin Barrett wrote:

Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior, "grade"
of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA Select, at
least for some cuts? I found out when I bought a whole rib roast which was
still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was identified as
Select. Never would have known had they cut it up and put it in the display
case.

Paul Barrett

Figures. Just another way to get the bottom lines to look better to the
shareholders and such. Akin to decreases in the packaging contents
sizes and increase in prices. Lower the cost of the components and
ingredients, etc. Many folks, for example, never notice that packages
of something went from 16 ounces to 14 ounces to 13 ounces, and so
forth, and yet the prices remain the same or even increased.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Old 13-04-2009, 06:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 10:44*am, "Paul & Robin Barrett"
wrote:
Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior, "grade"
of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA Select, at
least for some cuts? *I found out when I bought a whole rib roast which was
still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was identified as
Select. *Never would have known had they cut it up and put it in the display
case.

Been true from the beginning, I think. When they first introduced it
I quizzed the meat department manager and he kept saying it was not
graded. You can pretty much tell just by eyeballing the marbling --
or lack thereof -- that's it would not be graded USDA Choice. I don't
buy it, even on sale. -aem
Old 13-04-2009, 07:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul & Robin Barrett" wrote in message
mmunications...
Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior, "grade"
of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA Select, at
least for some cuts? I found out when I bought a whole rib roast which
was still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was identified as
Select. Never would have known had they cut it up and put it in the
display case.

My Vons sells the stuff, too. It is crap. Some of the worst beef I have
ever eaten. Always has been, too. When you have to put a ton of tenderizer
on a NY strip steak you know it is bad.

Paul

Old 13-04-2009, 07:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 1:40*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
"Paul & Robin Barrett" wrote in messagenews:[email protected] d.gcicommunications...

Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior, "grade"
of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA Select, at
least for some cuts? *I found out when I bought a whole rib roast which
was still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was identified as
Select. *Never would have known had they cut it up and put it in the
display case.

My Vons sells the stuff, too. *It is crap. *Some of the worst beef I have
ever eaten. *Always has been, too. *When you have to put a ton of tenderizer
on a NY strip steak you know it is bad.

I'd rather have shoeleather tough beef than beef that's been
chemically tenderized.

Paul

--Bryan
The album, "School of the Americas" is now available online.
Go to: http://www.thebonobos.com/
Click on the album cover to purchase. This is a fold out case with a
lyrics booklet for only $9.99. That's right folks, only $9.99.

Old 13-04-2009, 08:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo®" wrote in message
On Apr 13, 1:40 pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
"Paul & Robin Barrett" wrote in
messagenews:[email protected] d.gcicommunications...

Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior,
"grade"
of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA Select, at
least for some cuts? I found out when I bought a whole rib roast which
was still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was identified
as
Select. Never would have known had they cut it up and put it in the
display case.

My Vons sells the stuff, too. It is crap. Some of the worst beef I have
ever eaten. Always has been, too. When you have to put a ton of tenderizer
on a NY strip steak you know it is bad.

I'd rather have shoeleather tough beef than beef that's been
chemically tenderized.

Papaya juice extract is not exactly an inorganic chemical. But I agree, I
prefer natural.

Paul

Old 13-04-2009, 08:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 2:03*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
[...]

I knew you meant papain. I think it alters flavor as well as
texture. The discount steak places use it (Ponderosa, Bonanza). It's
not gross. I just don't like the flavor it imparts.

Old 13-04-2009, 08:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ications,
"Paul & Robin Barrett" wrote:

Anyone else figure out that this

I stopped buying beef from Safeway a long time ago, well before they
came up with this "Rancher's Discards" name.

much touted,

I never, ever heard anyone "tout" it except Safeway, and they never used
any words that meant anything.

supposedly superior,

Again, never anything solid. It was just their "new" house brand.

"grade"

Safeway had a long policy of only selling ungraded beef. I can't
imagine that they would ever start selling USDA Choice beef without
heavily advertising that fact. I never saw anything.

of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA Select, at
least for some cuts? I found out when I bought a whole rib roast which was
still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was identified as
Select. Never would have known had they cut it up and put it in the display
case.

I just wonder if your local store ran out of rib roasts and just
couldn't get any from the warehouse, so ordered some locally.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

"[Don't] assume that someone is "broken" just because they behave in ways
you don't like or don't understand." --Miche
Old 13-04-2009, 09:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

On Apr 13, 2:03*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Bobo Bonobo®" wrote in message

On Apr 13, 1:40 pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:

My Vons sells the stuff, too. It is crap. Some of the worst beef I have
ever eaten. Always has been, too. When you have to put a ton of tenderizer
on a NY strip steak you know it is bad.

I'd rather have shoeleather tough beef than beef that's been
chemically tenderized.

Papaya juice extract is not exactly an inorganic chemical. *But I agree, I
prefer natural.

I knew you meant papain.

You *knew* he meant fruit juice, even though he never posted that, so
you then referenced "chemically tenderized"? Do I understand that
correctly? Just want to know for the future.

Old 13-04-2009, 09:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 3:12*pm, Dan Abel wrote:
In article
,
*Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

On Apr 13, 2:03*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
"Bobo Bonobo®" wrote in message

On Apr 13, 1:40 pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
My Vons sells the stuff, too. It is crap. Some of the worst beef I have
ever eaten. Always has been, too. When you have to put a ton of tenderizer
on a NY strip steak you know it is bad.

I'd rather have shoeleather tough beef than beef that's been
chemically tenderized.

Papaya juice extract is not exactly an inorganic chemical. *But I agree, I
prefer natural.

I knew you meant papain.

You *knew* he meant fruit juice, even though he never posted that, so
you then referenced "chemically tenderized"? *Do I understand that
correctly? *Just want to know for the future.

Chemically (with papaya enzyme), as opposed to mechanically (with a
hammer). I don't think that they use the juice, just the extracted
enzyme. That's what all "tenderizer" is, isn't it? I guess I could
have interpreted " put a ton of tenderizer on" it as meaning, hit it
with a BFH, kinda like "open up a can of whoop ass."

"In United States, Papain is available in Grocery stores as Adolph's
Meat Tenderizer."
source-- http://www.indiacurry.com/faqhints/p...izemeathow.htm

If you're accusing me of trying to look more knowledgeable than I am,
you're mistaken. I won't ask for an apology.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 14-04-2009, 01:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul & Robin Barrett" wrote in message
mmunications...
Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior, "grade"
of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA Select, at
least for some cuts? I found out when I bought a whole rib roast which
was still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was identified as
Select. Never would have known had they cut it up and put it in the
display case.

Paul Barrett

I have always been very pleased with the Ranchers Reserve beef. The only
beef we eat just grilled is tenderloin steak, and thay are always great. It
is much better than Kroger. Now we are buying Costco, and it is very good,
but has to be frozen due to the larger qunatity.

DP

Old 14-04-2009, 01:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior, "grade"
of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA Select, at
least for some cuts?

It doesnt look very nice in the Davis safeway, so I buy my meat at CO-
OP (5 dot ranch) and on campus.
Very delicious.
Their pork is really expensive though.

Old 14-04-2009, 03:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 7:09*pm, "Dale P" wrote:
"Paul & Robin Barrett" wrote in messagenews:[email protected] d.gcicommunications...

Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior, "grade"
of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA Select, at
least for some cuts? *I found out when I bought a whole rib roast which
was still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was identified as
Select. *Never would have known had they cut it up and put it in the
display case.

Paul Barrett

I have always been very pleased with the Ranchers Reserve beef. *The only
beef we eat just grilled is tenderloin steak, and thay are always great. *It
is much better than Kroger. *Now we are buying Costco, and it is very good,
but has to be frozen due to the larger qunatity.

If it's tenderloin, then select should be plenty tender, and select
tends to be leaner. Not always the case, as not as well marbled beef
can have more concentrated fat. I made beef stew today in the
Crockpot with lean, need to be braised, pre-cut chunks cut from
shoulder. That stuff is only good for braising or eating raw. Yes,
I'm a cross between an idiot and a wild animal in that I eat beef
cold, out of the package, and never seem to fall ill as a result.
Nothing wrong with Select, as long as you're not paying Choice prices
for it.
I buy strips and t-bones graded Choice, and sometimes the marbling
varies dramatically between steaks in the same coldcase. The steaks
that resemble Prime are more tender. Those that approach Select still
have that sweetness that I have come to associate with the strip cut,
but are admittedly chewier.
Select and ungraded beef is not unwholesome, just not as tender.

DP

Old 14-04-2009, 03:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

"Paul & Robin Barrett" wrote in message
mmunications...
Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior,
"grade" of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA
Select, at least for some cuts? I found out when I bought a whole rib
roast which was still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was
identified as Select. Never would have known had they cut it up and put
it in the display case.

My Vons sells the stuff, too. It is crap. Some of the worst beef I have
ever eaten. Always has been, too. When you have to put a ton of
tenderizer on a NY strip steak you know it is bad.

I just cooked a small beef roast this weekend that was a RR from Safeway,
which I'd froze. Sold dirt cheap and I was wondering why back then (a month
ago). But it was tender and tasty, so I have no beefs with them. Top round
and Bottom Round both for 1.99/pound.

Old 14-04-2009, 11:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 9:16*pm, "Cheryl" wrote:
"Paul M. Cook" wrote in ...

"Paul & Robin Barrett" wrote in message
ommunications...
Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior,
"grade" of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA
Select, at least for some cuts? *I found out when I bought a whole rib
roast which was still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was
identified as Select. *Never would have known had they cut it up and put
it in the display case.

My Vons sells the stuff, too. *It is crap. *Some of the worst beef I have
ever eaten. *Always has been, too. *When you have to put a ton of
tenderizer on a NY strip steak you know it is bad.

I just cooked a small beef roast this weekend that was a RR from Safeway,
which I'd froze. Sold dirt cheap and I was wondering why back then (a month
ago). *But it was tender and tasty, so I have no beefs with them. *Top round
and Bottom Round both for 1.99/pound.

Roasted to MR and sliced super thinly, I don't see what the difference
would be.