Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] aem_again@yahoo.com is offline

Default Safeway "Rancher's Reserve"

On Apr 13, 10:44*am, "Paul & Robin Barrett" >
wrote:
> Anyone else figure out that this much touted, supposedly superior, "grade"
> of beef has been quietly downgraded from USDA Choice to USDA Select, at
> least for some cuts? *I found out when I bought a whole rib roast which was
> still in the cryovac wrap from the packing house and was identified as
> Select. *Never would have known had they cut it up and put it in the display
> case.

Been true from the beginning, I think. When they first introduced it
I quizzed the meat department manager and he kept saying it was not
graded. You can pretty much tell just by eyeballing the marbling --
or lack thereof -- that's it would not be graded USDA Choice. I don't
buy it, even on sale. -aem