Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pico de gallo

It turned out too hot. This batch of jalapenos is hotter than usual.
Just chiles, tomato, onion and some fresh lime juice. We had tacos
for dinner. One happy family. This is a simple, fool proof way to
make my wife and son happy. All that was missing was an avocado.

I posted a few pix just because it was pretty.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1552229...7616309480441/

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> It turned out too hot. This batch of jalapenos is hotter than usual.
> Just chiles, tomato, onion and some fresh lime juice. We had tacos
> for dinner. One happy family. This is a simple, fool proof way to
> make my wife and son happy. All that was missing was an avocado.
>
> I posted a few pix just because it was pretty.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/1552229...7616309480441/
>
> --Bryan

Pretty dishes.

If I'm not certain of the heat of the jalapenos, I hold back on a
couple, mix everything else up and taste it. Then I'll add another or
even two more if necessary.

I haven't seen a hard shell taco in ages. Soft tacos are all we get
here. I think they only sell hard shells at Taco Bell.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 16:41:47 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> wrote:

>It turned out too hot. This batch of jalapenos is hotter than usual.
>Just chiles, tomato, onion and some fresh lime juice. We had tacos
>for dinner. One happy family. This is a simple, fool proof way to
>make my wife and son happy. All that was missing was an avocado.
>
>I posted a few pix just because it was pretty.
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/1552229...7616309480441/
>
>--Bryan

Very pretty indeed, Bryan. Then again, maybe you just make photogenic
pico de gallo. :-)

I am looking forward to about 3+ months from now, when the tomatoes
will be ripe and I can make a batch of this stuff (w/lemon juice
instead of lime; no accounting for (my) taste...).

And now you've got me thinking about tomato sandwiches on toast. ARGH!
How will I get through the next 100 days without 'em??

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 5:27*am, Terry > wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 16:41:47 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
>
> > wrote:
> >It turned out too hot. *This batch of jalapenos is hotter than usual.
> >Just chiles, tomato, onion and some fresh lime juice. *We had tacos
> >for dinner. *One happy family. *This is a simple, fool proof way to
> >make my wife and son happy. *All that was missing was an avocado.

> >I posted a few pix just because it was pretty.

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/1552229...7616309480441/

> >--Bryan

> Very pretty indeed, Bryan. *Then again, maybe you just make photogenic
> pico de gallo. :-)

Those plates are well suited to the tacos.

Check this out:

http://stlouiseats.typepad.com/st_lo...-tarascos.html

Aren't those chairs nice? The tabletops are likewise very festive. I
should ask them to let me photograph the place and put up pix. The
food is good too, though they don't have any salsas that I'd describe
as great.

> I am looking forward to about 3+ months from now, when the tomatoes
> will be ripe and I can make a batch of this stuff (w/lemon juice
> instead of lime; no accounting for (my) taste...).
>
> And now you've got me thinking about tomato sandwiches on toast. ARGH!
> How will I get through the next 100 days without 'em??

You can get rather good little 2" ones if you want to pay the big
bucks, but those don't quite taste like a big beefsteak.

Do you grow your own?

> Best -- Terry

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 04:27:19 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> wrote:

>> I am looking forward to about 3+ months from now, when the tomatoes
>> will be ripe and I can make a batch of this stuff (w/lemon juice
>> instead of lime; no accounting for (my) taste...).
>>
>> And now you've got me thinking about tomato sandwiches on toast. ARGH!
>> How will I get through the next 100 days without 'em??

>You can get rather good little 2" ones if you want to pay the big
>bucks, but those don't quite taste like a big beefsteak.
>
>Do you grow your own?

Yup. Have done so for the last decade or so. Year before last was a
wonderful harvest, last year was not so good. I'm going to try the
raised beds this year. And at least one yellow tomato plant.

The wife eats tomatoes but it's more like 'tolerate' than 'enjoy'. Me,
I love 'em.

Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 7, 8:48*pm, Terry > wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 04:27:19 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
>
> > wrote:
> >> I am looking forward to about 3+ months from now, when the tomatoes
> >> will be ripe and I can make a batch of this stuff (w/lemon juice
> >> instead of lime; no accounting for (my) taste...).

> >> And now you've got me thinking about tomato sandwiches on toast. ARGH!
> >> How will I get through the next 100 days without 'em??

> >You can get rather good little 2" ones if you want to pay the big
> >bucks, but those don't quite taste like a big beefsteak.

> >Do you grow your own?

> Yup. *Have done so for the last decade or so. *Year before last was a
> wonderful harvest, last year was not so good. *I'm going to try the
> raised beds this year. *And at least one yellow tomato plant.
>
> The wife eats tomatoes but it's more like 'tolerate' than 'enjoy'. Me,
> I love 'em.

The yellows are low acid. Maybe she'll like those more. With some
folks it's the acid that turns them off. It can cause those tongue
bumps that hurt. Also, there are those who like cooked tomatoes, but
not raw. JJ Eugronus, who posted here a few times recently feels that
way. To me, high acid tomatoes, the intense red ones, are as good as
it gets. Tomatogrowers.com has good prices on seed, especially
quantity prices. I always buy tomato and chile seeds from them. This
year, I'm growing Ceylon, Matina and Juliet tomatoes, and Chichimeca
and (of course) Big Jim chilies.

We're doing a bit of raised bed in our yard. Also, our city has a
new community garden going in, and I'm in on that at ground level (bad
pun).

> Terry

--Bryan

My best pico de gallo! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 2 06-12-2014 12:38 PM
Pico De Gallo [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 27-03-2009 07:34 AM
Pico de gallo Julie Bove Diabetic 50 24-08-2008 04:52 PM
Pico De Gallo Julie Bove General Cooking 26 19-02-2008 03:09 AM
Pico de Gallo (1962) Barry Popik Historic 0 12-11-2004 02:26 AM