Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

On Apr 4, 10:28*pm, "Hoges in WA" > wrote:
> .... Anyone have a recipe for Claypot chicken with straw mushrooms?

Bamboo shoots complement straw mushrooms, I think, so I'd try
something along these lines:

1 chicken, cut into pieces (cut the breasts into 2 or 3 pieces,
the thighs in half)
1 small can sliced bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
1 can straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed
4 TB soy sauce
2 TB rice wine or dry sherry
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 quarter-sized slice fresh ginger
2 star anise
optional: 1 dried red chile pepper (I usually include, but for a
dish aiming to highlight the mushrooms, probably not)
optional: half a head of Napa cabbage, chopped into large pieces
(it will not be crisp-tender, but still goes well in this kind of
dish)
water to at least half the depth of the chicken (may partially
supplement with chicken broth for extra richness)

Follow your clay pot/sand pot directions for slow cooking, or simmer
in enameled cast iron pot and transfer to clay pot for serving.

Optional: a few drops of sesame oil just before serving. -aem