Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dried Chili Pepper Question

Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:

> Here is my thought. I want to buy some whole Chipotle peppers
> and devain and deseed them myself. Since the peppers are dried I was
> wondering if there is any special tips or advice I could garner? Do you
> devain and deseed them dry or do you rehydrate them? I don't want to
> rehydrate them myself. Maybe a small knife or X-ACTO knife?

Won't work. When the peppers are dried the heat is throughout the chile.
You can only tame them when perfectly fresh.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jebediah Kornworthy" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:
>>
>>> Here is my thought. I want to buy some whole Chipotle
>>> peppers and devain and deseed them myself. Since the peppers are dried
>>> I was wondering if there is any special tips or advice I could garner?
>>> Do you devain and deseed them dry or do you rehydrate them? I don't
>>> want to rehydrate them myself. Maybe a small knife or X-ACTO knife?

>> Won't work. When the peppers are dried the heat is throughout the chile.
>> You can only tame them when perfectly fresh.
>>
>> -sw

> Thanks sw,
>
> I have a bottle of ground chipotle but it had more heat than I
> wanted. So you say that it won't help now because the capsaicin has
> spread throughout the pepper during the drying process? Interesting, I
> never knew or heard this before. Very interesting. I imagine you found
> out the hard way, which is how I sometimes learn things also.
>
> Here is what is interesting. Their is a Mexican restaurant called
> Baja Fresh that has a chipotle salsa and it isn't hot at all. I wonder
> how they do it? Maybe they deseed them first and roast them in-house?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Jeb

Or maybe they only use a small amount of chipotle in the salsa, just enough
for some flavor but
not enough to heat it up to much. As this is a large chain, they are
probably using chipotle 'flavoring'.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:
>>
>>> Here is my thought. I want to buy some whole Chipotle
>>> peppers and devain and deseed them myself. Since the peppers are dried
>>> I was wondering if there is any special tips or advice I could garner?
>>> Do you devain and deseed them dry or do you rehydrate them? I don't
>>> want to rehydrate them myself. Maybe a small knife or X-ACTO knife?

>> Won't work. When the peppers are dried the heat is throughout the chile.
>> You can only tame them when perfectly fresh.

> I have a bottle of ground chipotle but it had more heat than I
> wanted. So you say that it won't help now because the capsaicin has spread
> throughout the pepper during the drying process? Interesting, I never
> knew or heard this before. Very interesting. I imagine you found out the
> hard way, which is how I sometimes learn things also.

Once the cells in a pepper start to wilt and rupture, its capsaicin breaks
loose from the membranes and gets all over the inside of the pepper. I
often "tame" habenero peppers with an Exacto knife and if the peppers are
not absolutely fresh, then don't even bother.

Same with a Jalapeno. Removing the seeds and membranes from a wilted (or
dried) jalapeno will not result in a significantly milder pepper.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:26:46 -0700, "Jebediah Kornworthy"
> wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:
>>
>>> Here is my thought. I want to buy some whole Chipotle
>>> peppers and devain and deseed them myself. Since the peppers are dried
>>> I was wondering if there is any special tips or advice I could garner?
>>> Do you devain and deseed them dry or do you rehydrate them? I don't
>>> want to rehydrate them myself. Maybe a small knife or X-ACTO knife?

>> Won't work. When the peppers are dried the heat is throughout the chile.
>> You can only tame them when perfectly fresh.
>>
>> -sw

>Thanks sw,
>
> I have a bottle of ground chipotle but it had more heat than I
>wanted. So you say that it won't help now because the capsaicin has spread
>throughout the pepper during the drying process? Interesting, I never
>knew or heard this before. Very interesting. I imagine you found out the
>hard way, which is how I sometimes learn things also.
>
> Here is what is interesting. Their is a Mexican restaurant called
>Baja Fresh that has a chipotle salsa and it isn't hot at all. I wonder how
>they do it? Maybe they deseed them first and roast them in-house?
>
>Thanks again.

Could be they're using mild jalapenos to make their chipotles.

You might look into Spanish smoked paprika as a source of smoky
flavor. There are hot and sweet varieties.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 08:46:05 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:
>
>> Here is my thought. I want to buy some whole Chipotle peppers
>> and devain and deseed them myself. Since the peppers are dried I was
>> wondering if there is any special tips or advice I could garner? Do you
>> devain and deseed them dry or do you rehydrate them? I don't want to
>> rehydrate them myself. Maybe a small knife or X-ACTO knife?

> Won't work. When the peppers are dried the heat is throughout the chile.
> You can only tame them when perfectly fresh.
>
> -sw

i don't want to argue with your experience, but maybe the capsaicins
migrate first to the veins (which are typically removed when de-seeding).

at any rate, it goes against the advice of many, many food writers that
de-seeding dried peppers has no effect on heat. i think.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 00:15:15 -0700, Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> Won't work. When the peppers are dried the heat is throughout the chile.
>>> You can only tame them when perfectly fresh.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> i don't want to argue with your experience, but maybe the capsaicins
>> migrate first to the veins (which are typically removed when de-seeding).
>>
>> at any rate, it goes against the advice of many, many food writers that
>> de-seeding dried peppers has no effect on heat. i think.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Blake,
>
> I also don't want to offend anyone but I have heard exactly what
> you are saying also. Soooo, I'm not sure who or what is right. I've done
> every search I can think of on the internet and cannot find the answer that
> I was looking for. Tomorrow I am calling the spice company that I have
> dealt with in the past, Penzey's. I will ask for the most knowledgeable
> person and see what they say. Thanks for your input. If I find the
> information that I am looking for I will post again.
>
> Jeb

i'd be interested in what you find out.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 08:46:05 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Jebediah Kornworthy wrote:
>>
>>> Here is my thought. I want to buy some whole Chipotle
>>> peppers
>>> and devain and deseed them myself. Since the peppers are dried I was
>>> wondering if there is any special tips or advice I could garner? Do
>>> you
>>> devain and deseed them dry or do you rehydrate them? I don't want to
>>> rehydrate them myself. Maybe a small knife or X-ACTO knife?

>> Won't work. When the peppers are dried the heat is throughout the chile.
>> You can only tame them when perfectly fresh.
>>
>> -sw

> i don't want to argue with your experience, but maybe the capsaicins
> migrate first to the veins (which are typically removed when de-seeding).
>
> at any rate, it goes against the advice of many, many food writers that
> de-seeding dried peppers has no effect on heat. i think.
>
> your pal,
> blake

during the smoking the peppers absorb a pretty good amount of heat. Of
course the seeds are still hot .
When I make Chipotles, I take them off when they are still pliable. I
found some recently that I put up in a zip lock bag .