Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default recession cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> On Mar 26, 12:32 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> If you like Hamburger Helper® and are put-off by the high cost of those
>> boxes, you can substitute a 35¢ box of generic macaroni & cheese (Aldi's
>> brand in the blue box is good) HTH :-)

> No. That is not "good."

I did condition it with "if you like HH"... No it's not very good, but
it's as good or better than using HH.

Sauté the meat with some onions, add the cheeze packet along with a cup
of milk. Stir and bring to a boil. Add the raw noodles and 1 1/2 cups
of water and maybe some frozen vegetables. Cook until the noodles are
done, adding more hot water as necessary.

(The stirfried cabbage or green beans, hot peppers, and brown rice is
much better)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:19:25 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:14:33 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:05:43 -0700, Dimitri wrote:
>>>
>>> Glutamate Contents of Foods
>>> Food SizeServing Glutamate(mg/serving)
>>>
>>> Tomato juice 1 cup0.827
>>> Tomato 3 slices0.339
>>> Meat loaf dinner 9 oz.0.189
>>> Human breast milk 1 cup0.176

>>jesus, it must be the human breast milk that's making my nose run! thanks,
>>dimitri.

> That's okay, Blake. If she's any kind of a mother, she'll have a
> tissue at the ready.
>
> Carol

good ol' mom.

your pal,
norman
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" ha scritto nel messaggio

> maybe i should look into this. the sticker shock for the better cuts is>
> starting (o.k., not just starting) to become appalling.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Even more effective, IMO, is using any meat or flesh as an ingredient rather
than always facing a hunk of pure meat on a plate. I've an upcoming period
when I will be cooking cheaper foods for a large group and have given this a
lot of thought. My usual work is to make high end feasts and money no
object, with people really stuffing themselves, unfortunately.
I decided I already knew how to cut grocery costs. No chops, steaks or
other pure meat servings. Always beginning with some kind of antipasto,
always serving a soup or pasta before the flesh. Substituting with whole
grains and pulses when a really good recipe presents itself. My plan is to
have at least one star dish wach meal, and otherwise to pelt them with
delish but cheap courses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:29:52 +0200, Giusi wrote:

> "blake murphy" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> maybe i should look into this. the sticker shock for the better cuts is>
>> starting (o.k., not just starting) to become appalling.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Even more effective, IMO, is using any meat or flesh as an ingredient rather
> than always facing a hunk of pure meat on a plate. I've an upcoming period
> when I will be cooking cheaper foods for a large group and have given this a
> lot of thought. My usual work is to make high end feasts and money no
> object, with people really stuffing themselves, unfortunately.
> I decided I already knew how to cut grocery costs. No chops, steaks or
> other pure meat servings. Always beginning with some kind of antipasto,
> always serving a soup or pasta before the flesh. Substituting with whole
> grains and pulses when a really good recipe presents itself. My plan is to
> have at least one star dish wach meal, and otherwise to pelt them with
> delish but cheap courses.

yep. i cook a lot of chinese stuff, so i know that drill.

about the only hunk o' meat thing i do is pot roast (with only cabbage),
which is pretty cheap to start with, and i usually only do that when it
goes on sale or is facing retirement age.

your pal,
blake