Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Passover foods are in stock

I noticed in the grocery store today that many of the Passover
foods are on sale, so now's the time to buy if you depend on
seasonal stuff like matzoh, potato starch (flour), etc.

My sister-in-law buys as few boxes of matzoh for her husband
to snack on (neither are Jewish, they developed a taste for it.)

I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
in round tube like an oatmeal box. They were ON SALE for $5.49.
Yikes. The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
for $1. (I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 6:46*pm, Gloria P > wrote:

> I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
> in round tube like an oatmeal box. *They were ON SALE for $5.49.
> Yikes. *The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
> for $1. *(I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)
>
> gloria p

Yeah, but ya got get there real early in the mawnin. I stopped buying
them when they were about 3.59. I could eat a boxful in one sitting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> I noticed in the grocery store today that many of the Passover
> foods are on sale, so now's the time to buy if you depend on
> seasonal stuff like matzoh, potato starch (flour), etc.
>
> My sister-in-law buys as few boxes of matzoh for her husband
> to snack on (neither are Jewish, they developed a taste for it.)
>
> I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
> in round tube like an oatmeal box. They were ON SALE for $5.49.
> Yikes. The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
> for $1. (I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)
>
> gloria p

Last year I bought coconut macaroons (you are right, they were $1), and
I also bought 3 boxes of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt, that it is my
favorite brand; the salt was 50 cents. I bought other things, but
those are the two I remember.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
> in round tube like an oatmeal box. They were ON SALE for $5.49.
> Yikes. The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
> for $1. (I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)

I learned how to make my own. Cheaper and I can use Splenda for DH who
is Diabetic.

This year DD and the 'angelic' grandgirls will be here during Passover,
so I might have them help Grandma to bake some. I just love cooking with
my grandgirls.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 6:46*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> I noticed in the grocery store today that many of the Passover
> foods are on sale, so now's the time to buy if you depend on
> seasonal stuff like matzoh, potato starch (flour), etc.
>
> My sister-in-law buys as few boxes of matzoh for her husband
> to snack on (neither are Jewish, they developed a taste for it.)
>
> I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
> in round tube like an oatmeal box. *They were ON SALE for $5.49.
> Yikes. *The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
> for $1. *(I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)
>
> gloria p

Heh. They started setting up the Passover food aisle in Stop & Shop
back in February! I make my own chocolate macaroons. Cheaper,
easier, and more fun. Plus, I can make tons of them.....

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> I noticed in the grocery store today that many of the Passover
> foods are on sale, so now's the time to buy if you depend on
> seasonal stuff like matzoh, potato starch (flour), etc.
>
> My sister-in-law buys as few boxes of matzoh for her husband
> to snack on (neither are Jewish, they developed a taste for it.)
>
> I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
> in round tube like an oatmeal box. They were ON SALE for $5.49.
> Yikes. The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
> for $1. (I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)
>
> gloria p

I'm goning to start looking for the Passover Coca Cola. It's made
with real sugar and not corn syrup. Much, Much better taste.

Harriet & critters in azusa, ca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:53:56 -0700 (PDT), "mequeenbe.nospam"
> wrote:

>Gloria P wrote:
>> I noticed in the grocery store today that many of the Passover
>> foods are on sale, so now's the time to buy if you depend on
>> seasonal stuff like matzoh, potato starch (flour), etc.
>>
>> My sister-in-law buys as few boxes of matzoh for her husband
>> to snack on (neither are Jewish, they developed a taste for it.)
>>
>> I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
>> in round tube like an oatmeal box. They were ON SALE for $5.49.
>> Yikes. The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
>> for $1. (I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)
>>
>> gloria p

>I'm goning to start looking for the Passover Coca Cola. It's made
>with real sugar and not corn syrup. Much, Much better taste.
>
>Harriet & critters in azusa, ca

Costco here (NC) has had Mexican Coca Cola since before Christmas. No
HFCS, tastes great.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Gloria P wrote:
>
>> I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
>> in round tube like an oatmeal box. They were ON SALE for $5.49.
>> Yikes. The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
>> for $1. (I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)

> I learned how to make my own. Cheaper and I can use Splenda for DH who is
> Diabetic.
>
> This year DD and the 'angelic' grandgirls will be here during Passover, so
> I might have them help Grandma to bake some. I just love cooking with my
> grandgirls.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south-Texas

Share please? The recipe that is. My mom's fave was always cocoanut
macaroons, and now that she's gone and both eldest daughter and I are
diabetic, well, they just haven't been a need to make them.....but if I had
a recipe that called for Splenda, well, that may be a horse of a different
color.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>
>> Gloria P wrote:
>>

>>> I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
>>> in round tube like an oatmeal box. They were ON SALE for $5.49.
>>> Yikes. The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
>>> for $1. (I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)
>>>

>> I learned how to make my own. Cheaper and I can use Splenda for DH who is
>> Diabetic.
>>
>> This year DD and the 'angelic' grandgirls will be here during Passover, so
>> I might have them help Grandma to bake some. I just love cooking with my
>> grandgirls.
>>

>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south-Texas
>>

> Share please? The recipe that is. My mom's fave was always cocoanut
> macaroons, and now that she's gone and both eldest daughter and I are
> diabetic, well, they just haven't been a need to make them.....but if I had
> a recipe that called for Splenda, well, that may be a horse of a different
> color.
> -ginny

In case you are interested, Damsel posted recipes for macaroons. One
recipe was sugar-free, coconut-almond macaroons. I made them, but I
lost the recipe when my HD fried. I may look for that recipe, later.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Gloria P wrote:
>>

>> I noticed in the grocery store today that many of the Passover
>> foods are on sale, so now's the time to buy if you depend on
>> seasonal stuff like matzoh, potato starch (flour), etc.
>>
>> My sister-in-law buys as few boxes of matzoh for her husband
>> to snack on (neither are Jewish, they developed a taste for it.)
>>
>> I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
>> in round tube like an oatmeal box. They were ON SALE for $5.49.
>> Yikes. The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
>> for $1. (I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)
>>
>> gloria p

> Last year I bought coconut macaroons (you are right, they were $1), and
> I also bought 3 boxes of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt, that it is my
> favorite brand; the salt was 50 cents. I bought other things, but
> those are the two I remember.
>
> Becca

Really? Salt? Diamond Kosher is a standard item in my area and it is
never marked down. It's usually around $2 a box.
Granted, I live in a community with a fairly large Jewish population -
but kosher salt is pretty widely used by all these days. Isn't it??
My local groceries have year round kosher sections. The just get way
expanded around Passover.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote on Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:08:56 -0400:

> Becca wrote:
>> Gloria P wrote:
>>>
>>> I noticed in the grocery store today that many of the
>>> Passover foods are on sale, so now's the time to buy if you depend
>>> on seasonal stuff like matzoh, potato starch (flour),
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> My sister-in-law buys as few boxes of matzoh for her husband
>>> to snack on (neither are Jewish, they developed a taste for it.)
>>>
>>> I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that
>>> come in round tube like an oatmeal box. They were ON SALE
>>> for $5.49. Yikes. The day after Passover they will be on a
>>> mark-down table for $1. (I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Last year I bought coconut macaroons (you are right, they
>> were $1), and I also bought 3 boxes of Diamond Crystal Kosher
>> salt, that it is my favorite brand; the salt was 50 cents. I bought
>> other things, but those are the two I remember.
>>
>> Becca

> Really? Salt? Diamond Kosher is a standard item in my area and
> it is never marked down. It's usually around $2 a box.
> Granted, I live in a community with a fairly large Jewish
> population - but kosher salt is pretty widely used by all
> these days. Isn't it?? My local groceries have year round
> kosher sections. The just get way expanded around Passover.

Matzo, macaroon and cereal makers seem to have similar ways of
thinking. The amount in the box has been steadily reduced over the
years. I see Trader Joe's has large boxes of matzohs now with 3 lbs
inside, I think.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 5:02*am, The Cook > wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:53:56 -0700 (PDT), "mequeenbe.nospam"
>

> > wrote:
>
> >Gloria P wrote:
> >> I noticed in the grocery store today that many of the Passover
> >> foods are on sale, so now's the time to buy if you depend on
> >> seasonal stuff like matzoh, potato starch (flour), etc.

> >> My sister-in-law buys as few boxes of matzoh for her husband
> >> to snack on (neither are Jewish, they developed a taste for it.)

> >> I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
> >> in round tube like an oatmeal box. *They were ON SALE for $5.49.
> >> Yikes. *The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
> >> for $1. *(I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)

> >> gloria p

> >I'm goning to start looking for the Passover Coca Cola. *It's made
> >with real sugar and not corn syrup. *Much, Much better taste.

> >Harriet & critters in azusa, ca

> Costco here (NC) has had Mexican Coca Cola since before Christmas. *No
> HFCS, tastes great.
> --
> Susan N.
>
> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
> 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

So THAT'S why our supermarkets have glass bottle Coke in their
Hispanic sections
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>> Gloria P wrote:
>>>

>>> I noticed in the grocery store today that many of the Passover
>>> foods are on sale, so now's the time to buy if you depend on
>>> seasonal stuff like matzoh, potato starch (flour), etc.
>>>
>>> My sister-in-law buys as few boxes of matzoh for her husband
>>> to snack on (neither are Jewish, they developed a taste for it.)
>>>
>>> I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
>>> in round tube like an oatmeal box. They were ON SALE for $5.49.
>>> Yikes. The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
>>> for $1. (I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Last year I bought coconut macaroons (you are right, they were $1),
>> and I also bought 3 boxes of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt, that it is
>> my favorite brand; the salt was 50 cents. I bought other things,
>> but those are the two I remember.
>>
>> Becca

> Really? Salt? Diamond Kosher is a standard item in my area and it is
> never marked down. It's usually around $2 a box.
> Granted, I live in a community with a fairly large Jewish population -
> but kosher salt is pretty widely used by all these days. Isn't it??
> My local groceries have year round kosher sections. The just get way
> expanded around Passover.
>
> Tracy

They sell Kosher salt in the baking section, along with iodized salt,
pickling salt and ice cream salt, but I do not like the brand they
regularly sell. It starts with the letter "N", I remember that much. I
did not like the texture. During Passover they had Diamond Crystal,
which I had been buying at the Penzey's store in Houston.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 1:53*am, "mequeenbe.nospam" > wrote:
> Gloria P wrote:
> > I noticed in the grocery store today that many of the Passover
> > foods are on sale, so now's the time to buy if you depend on
> > seasonal stuff like matzoh, potato starch (flour), etc.

> > My sister-in-law buys as few boxes of matzoh for her husband
> > to snack on (neither are Jewish, they developed a taste for it.)

> > I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
> > in round tube like an oatmeal box. *They were ON SALE for $5.49.
> > Yikes. *The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
> > for $1. *(I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)

> > gloria p

> I'm goning to start looking for the Passover Coca Cola. *It's made
> with real sugar and not corn syrup. *Much, Much better taste.
>
> Harriet & critters in azusa, ca

Is it usually stocked with the rest of the soda, or in a separate
Passover section?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Mar 19, 1:53 am, "mequeenbe.nospam" > wrote:
> Gloria P wrote:
> > I noticed in the grocery store today that many of the Passover
> > foods are on sale, so now's the time to buy if you depend on
> > seasonal stuff like matzoh, potato starch (flour), etc.

> > My sister-in-law buys as few boxes of matzoh for her husband
> > to snack on (neither are Jewish, they developed a taste for it.)

> > I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
> > in round tube like an oatmeal box. They were ON SALE for $5.49.
> > Yikes. The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
> > for $1. (I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)

> > gloria p

> I'm goning to start looking for the Passover Coca Cola. It's made
> with real sugar and not corn syrup. Much, Much better taste.
>
> Harriet & critters in azusa, ca

Is it usually stocked with the rest of the soda, or in a separate
Passover section?

About the only passover food I buy anymore is matzo, I already have my two
packages of five one pound boxes, ten pounds all together at $1/lb... I like
matzo and a lot ends up as matzo meal, just run it through my meat grinder.
I like broken matzo in chicken soup too, Jewish penicillin with farfel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> Gloria P wrote:
>>
>>> I was blown away by the price of Manischewitz macaroons that come
>>> in round tube like an oatmeal box. They were ON SALE for $5.49.
>>> Yikes. The day after Passover they will be on a mark-down table
>>> for $1. (I LOVE their chocolate macaroons.)

>> I learned how to make my own. Cheaper and I can use Splenda for DH who is
>> Diabetic.
>>
>> This year DD and the 'angelic' grandgirls will be here during Passover, so
>> I might have them help Grandma to bake some. I just love cooking with my
>> grandgirls.
>>

>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south-Texas

> Share please? The recipe that is. My mom's fave was always cocoanut
> macaroons, and now that she's gone and both eldest daughter and I are
> diabetic, well, they just haven't been a need to make them.....but if I had
> a recipe that called for Splenda, well, that may be a horse of a different
> color.
> -ginny

Here's the coconut one"

* Exported from MasterCook *

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coconut Macaroons

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 15 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cookies Passover

1/2 cup egg whites -- 3 or 4
Sweetener equivalent to 1 1/4 cups sugar (30
packets)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
4 tablespoons coconut milk -- leche do coco
2 tablespoons water

mix water, coconut and coconut milk with coconut, incorporating it with
the back of a soup spoon.

Beat egg whites until fluffy but not stiff. Stir in sweetener, salt,
vanilla. Blend in coconut.

Bake at 325 about 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

>>> I learned how to make my own. Cheaper and I can use Splenda for DH
>>> who is Diabetic.
>>>
>>> This year DD and the 'angelic' grandgirls will be here during
>>> Passover, so I might have them help Grandma to bake some. I just love
>>> cooking with my grandgirls.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Janet Wilder
>>> Way-the-heck-south-Texas
>>>

>> Share please? The recipe that is. My mom's fave was always cocoanut
>> macaroons, and now that she's gone and both eldest daughter and I are
>> diabetic, well, they just haven't been a need to make them.....but if
>> I had a recipe that called for Splenda, well, that may be a horse of a
>> different color.
>> -ginny

> In case you are interested, Damsel posted recipes for macaroons. One
> recipe was sugar-free, coconut-almond macaroons. I made them, but I
> lost the recipe when my HD fried. I may look for that recipe, later.
>

> Becca

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coconut Almond Macaroons

Recipe By :butterflydog
Serving Size : 15 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cookies

2 2/3 cups flaked coconut
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup chopped almonds

Combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt in mixing bowl. Stir in egg
whites and almond extract. Stir in almonds; mix
well.

Drop from teaspoon onto lightly greased paper lined baking sheets.

Garnish with candied cherry halves, or a whole almond if desired. Bake
at 325 for 20 to 25 minutes, or until edges of cookies are golden brown.

Remove from baking sheets immediately. When cool, dip some in chocolate
if desired.

"These are moist and chewy"
Source:
"Rec. Food.Recipes"
Yield:
"2 1/2 dozen"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for the recipe!

Becca

Janet Wilder wrote:

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Coconut Almond Macaroons
>
> Recipe By :butterflydog
> Categories : cookies

> 2 2/3 cups flaked coconut
> 2/3 cup sugar
> 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 4 egg whites
> 1 teaspoon almond extract
> 1 cup chopped almonds
>
> Combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt in mixing bowl. Stir in egg
> whites and almond extract. Stir in almonds; mix
> well.
>
> Drop from teaspoon onto lightly greased paper lined baking sheets.
>
> Garnish with candied cherry halves, or a whole almond if desired.
> Bake at 325 for 20 to 25 minutes, or until edges of cookies are
> golden brown.
>
> Remove from baking sheets immediately. When cool, dip some in
> chocolate if desired.

> "These are moist and chewy"
> Source:
> "Rec. Food.Recipes"
> Yield:
> "2 1/2 dozen"

Gluten-Free Foods are no Healthier Than Regular Foods, Study Finds graham[_4_] General Cooking 29 10-07-2015 08:32 AM
NICE FOODS,HEALTH FOODS---------It will enable your life is full ofexuberant energy [email protected] General Cooking 0 28-05-2008 05:31 PM
NICE FOODS,HEALTH FOODS---------It will enable your life is full ofexuberant energy kungfuer[_2_] General Cooking 0 28-05-2008 08:23 AM
Passover Sheryl Rosen General Cooking 57 28-04-2005 02:29 AM
Chicken stock and stock pots DawnK Cooking Equipment 30 23-10-2003 06:22 PM