Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French Lentils

Hello All!
From today's Washington Post.
This worked rather well but, since I don't intend to look for gourmet
lentils (cost their weight in gold!), I used Moong or Gram lentils. They
did take longer than 30 minutes to cook.

French Lentils
The Washington Post, March 18, 2009

• Course: Side Dish
• Features: Fast, Make-Ahead Recipes
According to their package, the green lentils of Le Puy are “rich in
fibre and minerals.” They are also full of mildly peppery flavor and
could not be easier to prepare. They are smaller than regular lentils
and look almost black when cooked, so it’s nice to add carrot for color.
They are available at Dean & Deluca in Georgetown (202-342-2500) and
through online gourmet purveyors.

MAKE AHEAD: The lentils can be prepared and refrigerated a day in
advance. To reheat, place in the microwave; heat on HIGH for 20-second
increments until heated through.

6 servings

Ingredients:

• 1 cup dried le Puy lentils (see headnote)
• 3 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken broth (may substitute water)
• 2 sprigs thyme
• 1 medium clove garlic
• 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into small dice (about 1/2 cup)
Directions:

Combine the lentils, broth, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper and bay leaf in
a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then add the
carrot, stirring to incorporate. Reduce the heat to medium (so the
liquid barely bubbles), cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30
minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the lentils and carrot
are soft. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf.

Reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting until ready to serve, or
transfer to a container, cool completely and refrigerate for up to 1
day.

Recipe Source:
From columnist David Hagedorn.

44 calories, n/a fat, n/a saturated fat, n/a cholesterol, 535mg sodium,
7g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 2g sugar, 4g protein.

Tested by David Hagedorn for The Washington Post.
E-mail the Food Section at with recipe questions.
© 2007 The Washington Post Company

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
> From today's Washington Post.
> This worked rather well but, since I don't intend to look for gourmet
> lentils (cost their weight in gold!), I used Moong or Gram lentils. They
> did take longer than 30 minutes to cook.
>
> French Lentils
> The Washington Post, March 18, 2009

Actually, a lot of green lentils are grown in Alberta and exported to France
where, surprise, surprise, they get re-labelled!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

boulanger wrote on Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:23:04 -0600:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Hello All!
>> From today's Washington Post.
>> This worked rather well but, since I don't intend to look for
>> gourmet lentils (cost their weight in gold!), I used Moong or
>> Gram lentils. They did take longer than 30 minutes to cook.
>>
>> French Lentils
>> The Washington Post, March 18, 2009
>>

>Actually, a lot of green lentils are grown in Alberta and exported to
>France where, surprise, surprise, they get re-labelled!

I didn't keep enough of the label to see where the Moong lentils were
grown. I bought them in an Indian grocery store and I'll look next time
I'm in. I did note that the Masoor (orange) dahl from an Indian company
(Swat) were labelled "Produce of Turkey".

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

boulanger wrote on Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:23:04 -0600:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Hello All!
>> From today's Washington Post.
>> This worked rather well but, since I don't intend to look for
>> gourmet lentils (cost their weight in gold!), I used Moong or
>> Gram lentils. They did take longer than 30 minutes to cook.
>>
>> French Lentils
>> The Washington Post, March 18, 2009
>>

>Actually, a lot of green lentils are grown in Alberta and exported to
>France where, surprise, surprise, they get re-labelled!

As I said, I took a look at the bags of lentils in my favorite Indian
grocery and some were labelled "Produce of India or Canada", the Moong
lentils were from Thailand and the Masoor (orange) lentils were from
Canada. The seller was an Indian company called Swad.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland