Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default french green lentils

I found a small amount (maybe a cup) in the bean bin and don't
remember why I bought them. Does anyone have recipe they like to use?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>I found a small amount (maybe a cup) in the bean bin and don't
>remember why I bought them. Does anyone have recipe they like to use?

They are the best lentil to use for lentil salad. (Also, the most
expensive lentil.) I have posted my lentil salad recipe here a
couple times.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I found a small amount (maybe a cup) in the bean bin and don't
> remember why I bought them. Does anyone have recipe they like to use?

You could try sprouting them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I found a small amount (maybe a cup) in the bean bin and don't
> remember why I bought them. Does anyone have recipe they like to use?

A lot of "French" green lentils come from Alberta!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> I found a small amount (maybe a cup) in the bean bin and don't
> remember why I bought them. Does anyone have recipe they like to use?

I've mixed lentils with other grains in the past and it works.
Last time I mixed them with rice and barley.

You can see the results in the "chicken feet" series in the Picasa
albums. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I found a small amount (maybe a cup) in the bean bin and don't
> remember why I bought them. Does anyone have recipe they like to use?

Regular cheap lentils are good soaked and eaten raw. (remove and
discard most of the skins that float loose if you use old ones) They
taste kind of like bean sprouts. If you add them to a stirfry, add at
the last minute because if the cook much more than just heating thru,
they get starchy and "beany", not that that's bad but they taste
better with a little crunch left to 'em.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:56:52 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

> Regular cheap lentils are good soaked and eaten raw. (remove and
> discard most of the skins that float loose if you use old ones) They
> taste kind of like bean sprouts.

That's a good tip, thanks!

> If you add them to a stirfry, add at
> the last minute because if the cook much more than just heating thru,
> they get starchy and "beany", not that that's bad but they taste
> better with a little crunch left to 'em.

I don't stir fry anymore. Haven't been into Chinese food for years -
probably decades. If I want Thai or Vietnamese, one of the perks of
city living is I have nearby restaurants that I can walk to or order
from.

My question was about the small dark green lentil that people call
Lentilles du Puy. I called them french green lentils because I wasn't
kidding myself or anyone else about where they came from. I realize
now that I have to put on airs to get answers.

Tangentially, do you do anything with split peas besides make soup?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.