Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rec -- Curry Chicken and Red Lentil Soup

Curry Chicken and Red Lentil Soup

INGREDIENTS:
* 2 lb. chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
* 1 TBS Canola Oil
* 3 cups hot water
* 4-6 new potatoes, quartered, skin-on
* 3 carrots, sliced
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 cups dried lentils, soaked and rinsed
* 4 cloves garlic, crushed
* 4 TBS curry powder
* salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:
Soak lentils in bowl for 8-12 hours. Drain and rinse. Set aside

Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in pan; sauté chicken
thighs over medium high heat. When done cooking, layer on bottom of 4-qt
crockpot. Sprinkle curry about the chicken trying not to mound any one piece
with powder.

Now layer remaining ingredients atop chicken; onions, potatoes, carrots,
beans. Cover with water. Stir in crushed garlic. Season water with more salt
and pepper. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or until vegetables and lentils are
tender. If using the low setting, cook for 8-10 hours.

Serve with basmati rice.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 11:51*am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> Curry Chicken and Red Lentil Soup
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> * * * 2 lb. chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
> * * * 1 TBS Canola Oil
> * * * 3 cups hot water
> * * * 4-6 new potatoes, quartered, skin-on
> * * * 3 carrots, sliced
> * * * 1 large onion, chopped
> * * * 2 cups dried lentils, soaked and rinsed
> * * * 4 cloves garlic, crushed
> * * * 4 TBS curry powder
> * * * salt & pepper, to taste
>
> Directions:
> Soak lentils in bowl for 8-12 hours. Drain and rinse. Set aside
>
> Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in pan; sauté chicken
> thighs over medium high heat. When done cooking, layer on bottom of 4-qt
> crockpot. Sprinkle curry about the chicken trying not to mound any one piece
> with powder.
>
> Now layer remaining ingredients atop chicken; onions, potatoes, carrots,
> beans. Cover with water. Stir in crushed garlic. Season water with more salt
> and pepper. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or until vegetables and lentils are
> tender. If using the low setting, cook for 8-10 hours.
>
> Serve with basmati rice.
>
> The Ranger

Yum! I assume that you cut up the chicken and stir it into the soup
before serving?

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris > wrote in message
> On Feb 22, 11:51 am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> >Curry Chicken and Red Lentil Soup
> >
> > INGREDIENTS:
> > * 2 lb. chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
> > * 1 TBS Canola Oil
> > * 3 cups hot water
> > * 4-6 new potatoes, quartered, skin-on
> > * 3 carrots, sliced
> > * 1 large onion, chopped
> > * 2 cups dried lentils, soaked and rinsed
> > * 4 cloves garlic, crushed
> > * 4 TBS curry powder
> > * salt & pepper, to taste
> >
> > Directions:
> > Soak lentils in bowl for 8-12 hours. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
> >
> > Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in pan;
> > sauté chicken thighs over medium high heat. When done
> > cooking, layer on bottom of 4-qt crockpot. Sprinkle curry
> > about the chicken trying not to mound any one piece with
> > powder.
> >
> > Now layer remaining ingredients atop chicken; onions,
> > potatoes, carrots, beans. Cover with water. Stir in
> > crushed garlic. Season water with more salt and pepper.
> > Cook on high for 4-6 hours or until vegetables and lentils
> > are tender. If using the low setting, cook for 8-10 hours.
> >
> > Serve with basmati rice.
> >

> Yum! I assume that you cut up the chicken and stir it into the soup
> before serving?

I didn't but I guess you could. The chicken's super-tender (and juicy) so
that was an extra step I didn't feel like doing.

And, yes, it was delicious. We had eight teenangsters and six adults
commenting on it.

The Ranger