Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Sous Vide" cooking??

Has anyone tried "Sous Vide" cooking, mentioned by James Silverton in the
post just above this one? This sounds like a wild, and probably successful
new way to get the degree of doneness you want and retain the moisture
content. As well the meat interior should break down and be more tender. It
appears that you cook with the meat in a vacumn container in simmering water
very slowly to the internal temp. you wanted. As wiith the low temp
roasting of the eye of round I wrote about just above, I'd sear the meat
first, and then put it into a double ziplock, suck the air out[when the Mrs.
isn't looking], and immerse in simmering water to the internal temp. I was
looking for.

Has anyone tried such a technique? Take a look at this site:
http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/pdf...ide-Basics.pdf

Thanks for any advice and thanks to James Silverton for bringing this up.

Ther

Posted to rec.food.cooking

As a possibly interesting sidelight to this posting it seems that
different newsreaders and newsposters enter things at differing
times; for example, your post below is listed as appearing on
Forte at 2:59 pm, but James Silverton's post to which you refer
has yet to appear as of 3:45 pm. Just more of the fun of Usenet.

A very good Central Florida restaurant (Luma in Winter Park) makes
extensive use of the sous vide cooking; always soft and moist where
it should be and very flavorful. There may be a bit of concern at
getting the meat up to safe temperature (141 degrees) but no one is
really worried. I believe that the meat is browned after the sous vide
cooking to keep the crust from breaking down during the cook cycle.

pavane

"Theron" > wrote in message ...
| Has anyone tried "Sous Vide" cooking, mentioned by James Silverton in the
| post just above this one? This sounds like a wild, and probably successful
| new way to get the degree of doneness you want and retain the moisture
| content. As well the meat interior should break down and be more tender. It
| appears that you cook with the meat in a vacumn container in simmering water
| very slowly to the internal temp. you wanted. As wiith the low temp
| roasting of the eye of round I wrote about just above, I'd sear the meat
| first, and then put it into a double ziplock, suck the air out[when the Mrs.
| isn't looking], and immerse in simmering water to the internal temp. I was
| looking for.
|
| Has anyone tried such a technique? Take a look at this site:
| http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/pdf...ide-Basics.pdf
|
| Thanks for any advice and thanks to James Silverton for bringing this up.
|
| Ther

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message
> As a possibly interesting sidelight to this posting it seems that
> different newsreaders and newsposters enter things at differing
> times; for example, your post below is listed as appearing on
> Forte at 2:59 pm, but James Silverton's post to which you refer
> has yet to appear as of 3:45 pm. Just more of the fun of Usenet.
>
> A very good Central Florida restaurant (Luma in Winter Park) makes
> extensive use of the sous vide cooking; always soft and moist where
> it should be and very flavorful. There may be a bit of concern at
> getting the meat up to safe temperature (141 degrees) but no one is
> really worried. I believe that the meat is browned after the sous vide
> cooking to keep the crust from breaking down during the cook cycle.
>
> pavane
>

> "Theron" > wrote in message
> | Has anyone tried "Sous Vide" cooking, mentioned by James Silverton in
> the
> | post just above this one? This sounds like a wild, and probably
> successful
> | new way to get the degree of doneness you want and retain the moisture
> | content. As well the meat interior should break down and be more tender.
> It
> | appears that you cook with the meat in a vacumn container in simmering
> water
> | very slowly to the internal temp. you wanted. As wiith the low temp
> | roasting of the eye of round I wrote about just above, I'd sear the meat
> | first, and then put it into a double ziplock, suck the air out[when the
> Mrs.
> | isn't looking], and immerse in simmering water to the internal temp. I
> was
> | looking for.
> |
> | Has anyone tried such a technique? Take a look at this site:
> | http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/pdf...ide-Basics.pdf
> |
> | Thanks for any advice and thanks to James Silverton for bringing this
> up.
> |
> | Ther

What dishes have you had there? It would be interesting to know what works
and what doesn't work.

Ther

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-11, Theron > wrote:
> Has anyone tried "Sous Vide" cooking, mentioned by James Silverton in the
> post just above this one? This sounds like a wild, and probably successful
> new way to get the degree of doneness you want and retain the moisture
> content. As well the meat interior should break down and be more tender. It
> appears that you cook with the meat in a vacumn container in simmering water
> very slowly to the internal temp. you wanted.

IOW, it's Stouffer's tv dinners. Besides, as I understand it, it requires very
expensive equipment to do properly, in the thousands of dollars.

I've yet to research it thoroughly, so can't speak with authority, but it
sounds like a gimmick, to me.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Theron wrote:

> What dishes have you had there? It would be interesting to know what
> works and what doesn't work.

I had a duck leg cooked that way, 8 hours at 75°C, and then browned in a
skillet. Juicy and moist, crunchy on the outsides, perfect

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote on Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:58:32 +0100:

>> What dishes have you had there? It would be interesting to
>> know what works and what doesn't work.

It's a bit off the topic but I will mention that I have never eaten at
Thomas Keller's French Laundry. The food is doubtless richer than my
cardiologist would approve (sour grapes, perhaps) and I don't have a
concierge credit card or a secretary to make reservations for me :-(

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 21:39:12 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2009-02-11, Theron > wrote:
>> Has anyone tried "Sous Vide" cooking, mentioned by James Silverton in the
>> post just above this one? This sounds like a wild, and probably successful
>> new way to get the degree of doneness you want and retain the moisture
>> content. As well the meat interior should break down and be more tender. It
>> appears that you cook with the meat in a vacumn container in simmering water
>> very slowly to the internal temp. you wanted.

>IOW, it's Stouffer's tv dinners. Besides, as I understand it, it requires very
>expensive equipment to do properly, in the thousands of dollars.
>
>I've yet to research it thoroughly, so can't speak with authority, but it
>sounds like a gimmick, to me.
>
>nb

It's all the rage. Even Thomas Keller has a cookbook out on it.

Under Pressu Cooking Sous Vide
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Pressure...dp/1579653510/

Should be doable with a food saver and a calibrated electric skillet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote in message ...

| "pavane" > wrote in message
| > As a possibly interesting sidelight to this posting it seems that
| > different newsreaders and newsposters enter things at differing
| > times; for example, your post below is listed as appearing on
| > Forte at 2:59 pm, but James Silverton's post to which you refer
| > has yet to appear as of 3:45 pm. Just more of the fun of Usenet.
| >
| > A very good Central Florida restaurant (Luma in Winter Park) makes
| > extensive use of the sous vide cooking; always soft and moist where
| > it should be and very flavorful. There may be a bit of concern at
| > getting the meat up to safe temperature (141 degrees) but no one is
| > really worried. I believe that the meat is browned after the sous vide
| > cooking to keep the crust from breaking down during the cook cycle.
| >
| > pavane
| >

| > "Theron" > wrote in message
| > | Has anyone tried "Sous Vide" cooking, mentioned by James Silverton in
| > the
| > | post just above this one? This sounds like a wild, and probably
| > successful
| > | new way to get the degree of doneness you want and retain the moisture
| > | content. As well the meat interior should break down and be more tender.
| > It
| > | appears that you cook with the meat in a vacumn container in simmering
| > water
| > | very slowly to the internal temp. you wanted. As wiith the low temp
| > | roasting of the eye of round I wrote about just above, I'd sear the meat
| > | first, and then put it into a double ziplock, suck the air out[when the
| > Mrs.
| > | isn't looking], and immerse in simmering water to the internal temp. I
| > was
| > | looking for.
| > |
| > | Has anyone tried such a technique? Take a look at this site:
| > | http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/pdf...ide-Basics.pdf
| > |
| > | Thanks for any advice and thanks to James Silverton for bringing this
| > up.
| > |
| > | Ther
| > |
| > |

| What dishes have you had there? It would be interesting to know what works
| and what doesn't work.
|
| Ther

Primarily duck, chicken and pork. It seems to like compact pieces; ie duck breast
or pork loin. I don't remember any beef or lamb. I would say the highest success
rate is in the pork family, which of course is very hard to keep moist. When we
have talked about it I get the impression that it is a work in progress as far as
cooking applications.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-02-11, Robert Klute > wrote:

> It's all the rage.

Only cuz all the cooking shows are driving a dying industry and new faces on
the scene have become even more absurd in their quest to be the next big
thing. Looks like this cooking technique has been around since the '70s.
That's 30 yrs this thing has not caught on.

> Under Pressu Cooking Sous Vide
> http://www.amazon.com/Under-Pressure...dp/1579653510/

> Should be doable with a food saver and a calibrated electric skillet.

Whatever. You wanna monitor a bag o' beef for 24 hrs to make sure you don't
get food poisoning, knock yourself out. I wanna eat some food!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Theron wrote:

> Has anyone tried "Sous Vide" cooking, mentioned by James Silverton in the
> post just above this one? This sounds like a wild, and probably successful
> new way to get the degree of doneness you want and retain the moisture
> content. As well the meat interior should break down and be more tender. It
> appears that you cook with the meat in a vacumn container in simmering water
> very slowly to the internal temp. you wanted. As wiith the low temp
> roasting of the eye of round I wrote about just above, I'd sear the meat
> first, and then put it into a double ziplock, suck the air out[when the Mrs.
> isn't looking], and immerse in simmering water to the internal temp. I was
> looking for.
>
> Has anyone tried such a technique? Take a look at this site:
> http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/pdf...ide-Basics.pdf
>
> Thanks for any advice and thanks to James Silverton for bringing this up.
>
> Ther

I'm more interested in cooking my food, not incubating it. If I'm going
to invest time/effort/money in equipping for a technical cooking
technique it will be a pressure-fryer i.e. "Broaster".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 1:59*pm, "Theron" > wrote:
> Has anyone tried "Sous Vide" cooking, mentioned by James Silverton in the
> post just above this one? This sounds like a wild, and probably successful
> new way to get the degree of doneness you want and retain the moisture
> content. As well the meat interior should break down and be more tender. It
> appears that you cook with the meat in a vacumn container in simmering water
> very slowly to the internal temp. you wanted. *As wiith the low temp
> roasting of the eye of round I wrote about just above, I'd sear the meat
> first, and then put it into a double ziplock, suck the air out[when the Mrs.
> isn't looking], and immerse in simmering water to the internal temp. I was
> looking for.
>
> Has anyone tried such a technique? Take a look at this site:http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/pdf...ide-Basics.pdf
>
> Thanks for any advice and thanks to James Silverton for bringing this up.
>
> Ther

They've done it for ages on Iron Chef. It's not that new. For the
most part, it has been very successful.

N.