Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Sous vide" poached eggs

The recent sous-vide thread stimulates me to post this:

Mrs. Beitel and I spent a few delightful days in Kennebunkport, Maine this past week. The chef at the B&B we stayed at made what he called "sous vide" eggs for breakfast one morning (over a hash of fried potatoes and shallots). They were excellent, so I tried it myself this morning and they turned out equally well. Basically a cross between a soft-boiled egg and a poached egg without having to deal with the shell of the former or the wasted threads of white and typical lumpy shaping of the latter. I used Glad-Wrap, twist ties, olive oil and chopped chives and gave them five minutes in just simmering water, which resulted in firm whites and warm runny yolks and a nice "pumpkin-y" shape with the yolks centered nicely in the whites, outlined in herb bits. This is now going to be my go-to method for poached eggs.

Quite simple, as this short video illustrates. (And not really sous-vide, but who cares?)

http://www.chow.com/videos/show/chow...an-egg-at-home

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 16:02:29 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/3/2013 3:32 PM, wrote:
>> The recent sous-vide thread stimulates me to post this:
>>
>> Mrs. Beitel and I spent a few delightful days in Kennebunkport, Maine this past week. The chef at the B&B we stayed at made what he called "sous vide" eggs for breakfast one morning (over a hash of fried potatoes and shallots). They were excellent, so I tried it myself this morning and they turned out equally well. Basically a cross between a soft-boiled egg and a poached egg without having to deal with the shell of the former or the wasted threads of white and typical lumpy shaping of the latter. I used Glad-Wrap, twist ties, olive oil and chopped chives and gave them five minutes in just simmering water, which resulted in firm whites and warm runny yolks and a nice "pumpkin-y" shape with the yolks centered nicely in the whites, outlined in herb bits. This is now going to be my go-to method for poached eggs.
>>
>> Quite simple, as this short video illustrates. (And not really sous-vide, but who cares?)

http://www.chow.com/videos/show/chow...an-egg-at-home

>Thanks for sharing this. I've never had a poached egg. The idea of
>slipping an egg, sans shell, into simmering water never appealed to me.

Oh man, it's my favourite way to have eggs
I'm actually poaching some eggs right now for brekky.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-03, jmcquown > wrote:

> Thanks for sharing this. I've never had a poached egg. The idea of
> slipping an egg, sans shell, into simmering water never appealed to me.

If done properly, it's good. The eggs is removed with a skimmer or
slotted spoon so the water can drain off. Then, a clean kitchen towel
is used to dab/wick away any remaining water. When done right, very
good. The water is typically laced with vinegar and a whirl is
started with a spoon to help keep the egg
together.

As a kid, I had poached eggs from a stove top egg poacher, little cups
which held the eggs until they were steamed to doneness. Lotta
electric non-stick egg poachers now available. They shut off when the
egg is perfectly done. Still, I jes soft boil 'em ....5mins-15 secs.

I do wanna try the slow cooked (s/v) soft boiled eggs.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-03 4:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Thanks for sharing this. I've never had a poached egg. The idea of
> slipping an egg, sans shell, into simmering water never appealed to me.
> I do love soft boiled eggs, though. I might just try this method.
> I've got kitchen twine.

You might want to adjust your attitude on that one Jill. Poached is my
favourite way have eggs. My wife always liked them but her mother used
to do them in one of those poaching pots where they are more steamed
than poached. I grew up with them poached in water with a bit of vinegar
and she quickly learned to prefer them that way.

There a couple tricks to to. First of all, you have to have the water
just simmering, not boiling. The eggs should be cracked into a small
bowl and gently tipped into the water. It helps to get the water
swirling first, but that is hard to do with more than one egg being
cooked. The eggs should be removed with a slotted spoon, place in a
saucer and then gently tipped to pour off any water sitting in pockets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 11/3/2013 3:32 PM, wrote:
>> The recent sous-vide thread stimulates me to post this:
>>
>> Mrs. Beitel and I spent a few delightful days in Kennebunkport, Maine this past week. The chef at the B&B we stayed at made what he called "sous vide" eggs for breakfast one morning (over a hash of fried potatoes and shallots). They were excellent, so I tried it myself this morning and they turned out equally well. Basically a cross between a soft-boiled egg and a poached egg without having to deal with the shell of the former or the wasted threads of white and typical lumpy shaping of the latter. I used Glad-Wrap, twist ties, olive oil and chopped chives and gave them five minutes in just simmering water, which resulted in firm whites and warm runny yolks and a nice "pumpkin-y" shape with the yolks centered nicely in the whites, outlined in herb bits. This is now going to be my go-to method for poached eggs.
>>
>> Quite simple, as this short video illustrates. (And not really sous-vide, but who cares?)

http://www.chow.com/videos/show/chow...an-egg-at-home

>Thanks for sharing this. I've never had a poached egg. The idea of
>slipping an egg, sans shell, into simmering water never appealed to me.
> I do love soft boiled eggs, though. I might just try this method.
>I've got kitchen twine.
>
>Jill

That seems to me to be a soft cooked egg sans shell.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2013 4:58 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-11-03, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Thanks for sharing this. I've never had a poached egg. The idea of
>> slipping an egg, sans shell, into simmering water never appealed to me.

> If done properly, it's good. The eggs is removed with a skimmer or
> slotted spoon so the water can drain off. Then, a clean kitchen towel
> is used to dab/wick away any remaining water. When done right, very
> good. The water is typically laced with vinegar and a whirl is
> started with a spoon to help keep the egg
> together.
>
> As a kid, I had poached eggs from a stove top egg poacher, little cups
> which held the eggs until they were steamed to doneness. Lotta
> electric non-stick egg poachers now available. They shut off when the
> egg is perfectly done. Still, I jes soft boil 'em ....5mins-15 secs.
>
> I do wanna try the slow cooked (s/v) soft boiled eggs.
>
> nb

I'm sure poached eggs are good. It's just not something I grew up with
so I never tried them. I like the idea of this method, there's already
some butter and seasonings before it goes into the water. If I can get
it to desired doneness it will be worth the try. What have I got to
lose? It's only a couple of eggs.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2013 4:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/3/2013 3:32 PM, wrote:
>> The recent sous-vide thread stimulates me to post this:
>>
>> Mrs. Beitel and I spent a few delightful days in Kennebunkport, Maine
>> this past week. The chef at the B&B we stayed at made what he called
>> "sous vide" eggs for breakfast one morning (over a hash of fried
>> potatoes and shallots). They were excellent, so I tried it myself
>> this morning and they turned out equally well. Basically a cross
>> between a soft-boiled egg and a poached egg without having to deal
>> with the shell of the former or the wasted threads of white and
>> typical lumpy shaping of the latter. I used Glad-Wrap, twist ties,
>> olive oil and chopped chives and gave them five minutes in just
>> simmering water, which resulted in firm whites and warm runny yolks
>> and a nice "pumpkin-y" shape with the yolks centered nicely in the
>> whites, outlined in herb bits. This is now going to be my go-to
>> method for poached eggs.
>>
>> Quite simple, as this short video illustrates. (And not really
>> sous-vide, but who cares?)

http://www.chow.com/videos/show/chow...an-egg-at-home

> Thanks for sharing this. I've never had a poached egg. The idea of
> slipping an egg, sans shell, into simmering water never appealed to me.
> I do love soft boiled eggs, though. I might just try this method.
> I've got kitchen twine.

There are a number of ways to poach eggs. One uses a set of small
saucers attached to a handle to lower the eggs into the water. Another
method is use a large pot and stir the simmering water so that it
swirls. The egg is dropped into the center of the swirl. A spoonful of
vinegar helps to prevent the white from coming away.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

>>> Quite simple, as this short video illustrates. (And not really
>>> sous-vide, but who cares?)
>>>
>>> http://www.chow.com/videos/show/chow...an-egg-at-home

What is that woman saying ... 'first take your what???
'flostagrab'??????????

Please tell me what she is saying ?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2013 5:40 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> What is that woman saying ... 'first take your what???
> 'flostagrab'??????????
>
> Please tell me what she is saying ?

Sorry, can't help; I did not give the URL for the video.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2013 5:07 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2013-11-03 4:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Thanks for sharing this. I've never had a poached egg. The idea of
>> slipping an egg, sans shell, into simmering water never appealed to me.
>> I do love soft boiled eggs, though. I might just try this method.
>> I've got kitchen twine.

> You might want to adjust your attitude on that one Jill. Poached is my
> favourite way have eggs.

I did say "I might just try this method."

> My wife always liked them but her mother used
> to do them in one of those poaching pots where they are more steamed
> than poached. I grew up with them poached in water with a bit of vinegar
> and she quickly learned to prefer them that way.
>
> There a couple tricks to to. First of all, you have to have the water
> just simmering, not boiling. The eggs should be cracked into a small
> bowl and gently tipped into the water. It helps to get the water
> swirling first, but that is hard to do with more than one egg being
> cooked. The eggs should be removed with a slotted spoon, place in a
> saucer and then gently tipped to pour off any water sitting in pockets.

Yes, I know all that. I've read about poached eggs and the methods for
preparing them in many cookbooks. It's entirely possible I'd love
poached eggs. Then again, I don't often eat breakfast. A dozen eggs
lasts a month in my house.

I just asked my SO, John, about poached eggs. He said they're okay. He
much prefers over easy. Or really light fluffy scrambled eggs with
grated sharp cheese. He's the eggs for breakfast guy, not me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

>> What is that woman saying ... 'first take your what???
>> 'flostagrab'??????????
>>
>> Please tell me what she is saying ?
>>

> Sorry, can't help; I did not give the URL for the video.

Ok thanks, Jim

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-03, Ophelia > wrote:

> What is that woman saying ... 'first take your what???
> 'flostagrab'??????????
>
> Please tell me what she is saying ?

heh heh..... Who cares!?

Go thru all the trouble of cracking an egg, then wrap it in clear wrap
(I notice that step is suspiciously lacking in detail), then tie it
with a sting, then hold in in boiling water, yada yada.....

Holy crap, what nonsense. Put the damn egg in boiling water till it's cooked.
Whack the top off and eat. Why repackage the perfect package!?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 5:40:15 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> What is that woman saying ... 'first take your what???
>
> 'flostagrab'??????????
>

> Please tell me what she is saying ?

Tsk. "Flostagrab" is a well-known US brand of plastic wrap, Ms. O.

:-)

--
Silvar Beitel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2013 5:12 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 16:02:29 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/3/2013 3:32 PM, wrote:
>>> The recent sous-vide thread stimulates me to post this:
>>>
>>> Mrs. Beitel and I spent a few delightful days in Kennebunkport, Maine this past week. The chef at the B&B we stayed at made what he called "sous vide" eggs for breakfast one morning (over a hash of fried potatoes and shallots). They were excellent, so I tried it myself this morning and they turned out equally well. Basically a cross between a soft-boiled egg and a poached egg without having to deal with the shell of the former or the wasted threads of white and typical lumpy shaping of the latter. I used Glad-Wrap, twist ties, olive oil and chopped chives and gave them five minutes in just simmering water, which resulted in firm whites and warm runny yolks and a nice "pumpkin-y" shape with the yolks centered nicely in the whites, outlined in herb bits. This is now going to be my go-to method for poached eggs.
>>>
>>> Quite simple, as this short video illustrates. (And not really sous-vide, but who cares?)

http://www.chow.com/videos/show/chow...an-egg-at-home

>> Thanks for sharing this. I've never had a poached egg. The idea of
>> slipping an egg, sans shell, into simmering water never appealed to me.
>> I do love soft boiled eggs, though. I might just try this method.
>> I've got kitchen twine.
>>
>> Jill

> That seems to me to be a soft cooked egg sans shell.
> Janet US

That would be what interests me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 Nov 2013 23:07:11 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-11-03, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> What is that woman saying ... 'first take your what???
>> 'flostagrab'??????????
>>
>> Please tell me what she is saying ?

>heh heh..... Who cares!?
>
>Go thru all the trouble of cracking an egg, then wrap it in clear wrap
>(I notice that step is suspiciously lacking in detail), then tie it
>with a sting, then hold in in boiling water, yada yada.....
>
>Holy crap, what nonsense. Put the damn egg in boiling water till it's cooked.
>Whack the top off and eat. Why repackage the perfect package!?

Boiled and poached ain't the same thing
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2013 6:08 PM, wrote:
> On Sunday, November 3, 2013 5:40:15 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

http://www.chow.com/videos/show/chow...an-egg-at-home

>> What is that woman saying ... 'first take your what???
>>
>> 'flostagrab'??????????
>>

>> Please tell me what she is saying ?

> Tsk. "Flostagrab" is a well-known US brand of plastic wrap, Ms. O.
>
> :-)

BS. "Plastic wrap". Sorry you can't keep up with the simple video
instructions.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-03 5:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> There a couple tricks to to. First of all, you have to have the water
>> just simmering, not boiling. The eggs should be cracked into a small
>> bowl and gently tipped into the water. It helps to get the water
>> swirling first, but that is hard to do with more than one egg being
>> cooked. The eggs should be removed with a slotted spoon, place in a
>> saucer and then gently tipped to pour off any water sitting in pockets.
>>

> Yes, I know all that. I've read about poached eggs and the methods for
> preparing them in many cookbooks. It's entirely possible I'd love
> poached eggs. Then again, I don't often eat breakfast. A dozen eggs
> lasts a month in my house.
>
> I just asked my SO, John, about poached eggs. He said they're okay. He
> much prefers over easy. Or really light fluffy scrambled eggs with
> grated sharp cheese. He's the eggs for breakfast guy, not me.

In our family it is my wife who eats the eggs. They never used to agree
with me, and were even worse when fried. Poaching was my favourite.

It's a a dang shame that I am not supposed to eat many eggs now. After
having my gall bladder out I am able to eat some foods that used to
bother me. Today I had some of each; bacon, sausage, scrambled egg,
orange, fried cherry tomatoes and marmalade ... and I had no problems.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> As a kid, I had poached eggs from a stove top egg poacher, little cups
> which held the eggs until they were steamed to doneness.

I still have and use one of those

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/13 3:32 PM, wrote:

> Quite simple, as this short video illustrates. (And not really sous-vide, but who cares?)

I use silicone poaching cups, and get essentially the same result.

Like these:
http://amzn.to/HANGS9

With or without the cups, when poaching eggs, I always use the same
three quart saute pan, bring the water to a rapid boil, *take it off the
heat* (or turn off the induction burner), insert the eggs, cover, and
time four minutes. (My wife's get an additional 30 seconds, since she
prefers her yolks less runny.) This method gives the most consistent
results of any technique I've found.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-03, Jeßus > wrote:

> Boiled and poached ain't the same thing

I dare you tell me the differnce once they hit the plate.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Nov 2013 00:37:27 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-11-03, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> Boiled and poached ain't the same thing

>I dare you tell me the differnce once they hit the plate.

I honestly think I could, the texture is different for one thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2013 7:37 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-11-03, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> Boiled and poached ain't the same thing

> I dare you tell me the differnce once they hit the plate.
>
> nb

Easily, have you ever had "Eggs Benedict" or even poached eggs on toast?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2013 6:07 PM, notbob wrote:

> Holy crap, what nonsense. Put the damn egg in boiling water till it's cooked.
> Whack the top off and eat. Why repackage the perfect package!?
>
> nb

You can cook it with herbs and such. Adds another element of flavor.
Worth a try at least one time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-04, James Silverton > wrote:

> Easily, have you ever had "Eggs Benedict" or even poached eggs on toast?

Many times. In water, in the shell, in an electric egg poacher, in a
stove-top steamer, in a poaching ring in a skillet, fried over medium,
frien over easy, yada yada.....

With ham, with canadian bacon, with streaky bacon, with dungeness
crabmeat, yada yada.....

With canned hollandaise, with powdered hollandaise, with real hollandaise,
yada.....

On toast, on a bagel, on an Eng muffin, on a biscuit, yada.....

Any more questions?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-11-03, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> What is that woman saying ... 'first take your what???
>> 'flostagrab'??????????
>>
>> Please tell me what she is saying ?

> heh heh..... Who cares!?
>
> Go thru all the trouble of cracking an egg, then wrap it in clear wrap
> (I notice that step is suspiciously lacking in detail), then tie it
> with a sting, then hold in in boiling water, yada yada.....
>
> Holy crap, what nonsense. Put the damn egg in boiling water till it's
> cooked.
> Whack the top off and eat. Why repackage the perfect package!?

lol too right)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

>> What is that woman saying ... 'first take your what???
>>
>> 'flostagrab'??????????
>>

>> Please tell me what she is saying ?

> Tsk. "Flostagrab" is a well-known US brand of plastic wrap, Ms. O.
>
> :-)

rofl not on this side of the pond <g>
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/3/2013 6:08 PM, wrote:
>> On Sunday, November 3, 2013 5:40:15 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

http://www.chow.com/videos/show/chow...an-egg-at-home

>>> What is that woman saying ... 'first take your what???
>>>
>>> 'flostagrab'??????????
>>>

>>> Please tell me what she is saying ?

>> Tsk. "Flostagrab" is a well-known US brand of plastic wrap, Ms. O.
>>
>> :-)
>>

> BS. "Plastic wrap". Sorry you can't keep up with the simple video
> instructions.

Well thank YOU Miss. I very much appreciated your explanation!
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-04, Ophelia > wrote:

> rofl not on this side of the pond <g>

Nor this one. Never heard of it in 65 yrs. How well known can it be?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-11-04, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> rofl not on this side of the pond <g>

> Nor this one. Never heard of it in 65 yrs. How well known can it be?

I dunno

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/2013 12:19 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-11-04, James Silverton > wrote:
>
>> Easily, have you ever had "Eggs Benedict" or even poached eggs on toast?

> Many times. In water, in the shell, in an electric egg poacher, in a
> stove-top steamer, in a poaching ring in a skillet, fried over medium,
> frien over easy, yada yada.....
>
> With ham, with canadian bacon, with streaky bacon, with dungeness
> crabmeat, yada yada.....
>
> With canned hollandaise, with powdered hollandaise, with real hollandaise,
> yada.....
>
> On toast, on a bagel, on an Eng muffin, on a biscuit, yada.....
>
> Any more questions?

And do you make them with boiled rather than poached eggs?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 4, 2013 7:03:36 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-11-04, Ophelia > wrote:
>

> > rofl not on this side of the pond <g>

> Nor this one. Never heard of it in 65 yrs. How well known can it be?
>

> nb

From the Wikipedia entry:

"Flostagrab is a brand of plastic wrap first introduced by Dow Chemical (now Dow Corning) in 1938. It differs from other types of plastic wraps in that it doesn't stick to whatever bowl it is covering, so it slides off easily, making emptying the bowl much easier than when covered with other wraps. It is distributed widely in the United States, Canada, Europe, and Borneo.. In fact, it's available everywhere except where notbob lives. In fact, it is so widely available that some people use it as the generic term for plastic wrap, particularly in short Internet videos about cooking."

BTW, the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 11/4/2013 12:19 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2013-11-04, James Silverton > wrote:
>>
>>> Easily, have you ever had "Eggs Benedict" or even poached eggs on
>>> toast?

>> Many times. In water, in the shell, in an electric egg poacher, in a
>> stove-top steamer, in a poaching ring in a skillet, fried over medium,
>> frien over easy, yada yada.....
>>
>> With ham, with canadian bacon, with streaky bacon, with dungeness
>> crabmeat, yada yada.....
>>
>> With canned hollandaise, with powdered hollandaise, with real
>> hollandaise,
>> yada.....
>>
>> On toast, on a bagel, on an Eng muffin, on a biscuit, yada.....
>>
>> Any more questions?
>>

> And do you make them with boiled rather than poached eggs?

probably - he said he had them with fried eggs. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 07:58:55 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> And do you make them with boiled rather than poached eggs?

It's very easy to make perfect boiled eggs. I like mine when the
entire white has set but the yolk is still runny. You can peel them
just as if they were hard boiled - I thought it was my personal quirk,
but that method actually has a name = Mollet.
http://thevillagecook.com/hard-boile...r-hash-browns/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 4, 2013 11:41:55 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:

> Just one. Do you really think all the above are indistinguishable
> from boiled egg?
>
> Janet UK

Boiled and poached eggs are very different, especially in
texture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/13 12:27 PM, Helpful person wrote:

> Boiled and poached eggs are very different, especially in
> texture.

Agreed -- mostly in the texture of the whites, because an egg in the
shell, with more white completely surrounding the yolk, requires a
significantly longer cooking time to get the yolk to the same stage of
cooking, and the yolk is what most people judge their eggs by.

-- Larry