Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cookies: Can vegetable spread sub for shortening?

I tried an oatmeal cookie recipe from the book "Monster Cookies"(?),
which required shortening. Since I almost never buy Crisco, I thought
I'd use spread instead. Trouble is, I doubt most people really want
cookies the way those turned out - overly soft and cakelike. Would
Crisco have made a difference? If not, when IS it a bad idea to use a
substitute for shortening?

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I tried an oatmeal cookie recipe from the book "Monster Cookies"(?),
> which required shortening. Since I almost never buy Crisco, I thought
> I'd use spread instead. Trouble is, I doubt most people really want
> cookies the way those turned out - overly soft and cakelike. Would
> Crisco have made a difference?

Yes!

If not, when IS it a bad idea to use a substitute for shortening?

Yes, spread(s) contain water changing the texture of the finished product.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> You could also have used lard; that works well for baking.
>
> Bob

The first time I heard of using lard for cookies was as a young wife I
hosted a neighborhood cookie exchange. The couple across the street
(Navy fighter pilot and wife from AZ) and they brought Biscochitos (I
think I spelled that correctly?). They were sort of like snikerdoodles.
Very nice, especially as they were representative of the area they grew up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> If you don't want to buy Crisco, there are some non-hydrogenated
> vegetable shortenings out there now. I looked at one just the other
> week, but can't recall the name. It cost something like $6 for a large
> can of it and I didn't need any so passed it up.

Smart Balance® It's not hydrogenated. I use it when a recipe calls for
shortening.

I think even Crisco® is coming in a non-hydrogenated version now since
the food police are making trans-fats illegal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 3:15 pm, Goomba > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I tried an oatmeal cookie recipe from the book "Monster Cookies"(?),
> > which required shortening. Since I almost never buy Crisco, I thought
> > I'd use spread instead. Trouble is, I doubt most people really want
> > cookies the way those turned out - overly soft and cakelike. Would
> > Crisco have made a difference? If not, when IS it a bad idea to use a
> > substitute for shortening?

> > Lenona.

> what is a spread? Do you mean the butter spreads that have extra water
> and air (and perhaps oil) pumped into them?
> Those are NEVER used for baking for the obvious problems.

Good to know. However, I find the spread very useful whenever a cake
recipe tells you to grease and flour the pans. Far better than trying
to rub cold butter on the pan - not enough comes off the stick.

> If you don't want to buy Crisco, there are some non-hydrogenated
> vegetable shortenings out there now.

It's just that I don't encounter that many recipes that demand
shortening rather than butter, so it didn't seem worth buying. Do you
have to refrigerate Crisco after opening it?

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Do you have to refrigerate Crisco after opening it?
>
> Lenona.

No. It lasts for several years, then slowly starts getting rancid.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:18:52 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Goomba wrote:
>
>> If you don't want to buy Crisco, there are some non-hydrogenated
>> vegetable shortenings out there now. I looked at one just the other
>> week, but can't recall the name. It cost something like $6 for a large
>> can of it and I didn't need any so passed it up.

>Smart Balance® It's not hydrogenated. I use it when a recipe calls for
>shortening.
>
>I think even Crisco® is coming in a non-hydrogenated version now since
>the food police are making trans-fats illegal.

In fact, I believe that the only Crisco that is now sold
non-hydrogenated. Yep, just looked at my blue container and it says 0
trans fats.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:18:52 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> Goomba wrote:
>>
>>> If you don't want to buy Crisco, there are some non-hydrogenated
>>> vegetable shortenings out there now. I looked at one just the other
>>> week, but can't recall the name. It cost something like $6 for a large
>>> can of it and I didn't need any so passed it up.

>> Smart Balance® It's not hydrogenated. I use it when a recipe calls for
>> shortening.
>>
>> I think even Crisco® is coming in a non-hydrogenated version now since
>> the food police are making trans-fats illegal.

> In fact, I believe that the only Crisco that is now sold
> non-hydrogenated. Yep, just looked at my blue container and it says 0
> trans fats.

I'm pretty sure it is hydrogenated, it's just not
*partially-hydrogenated* (that's where the trans-fats come from.)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Those are NEVER used for baking for the obvious problems.

Not quite true. You can't swap them willy-nilly but there are recipes
that are formulated for use with the spreads.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller