Default Vegetable shortening in australia? or alternative?

Dear Bakers

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase vegetable shortening in
australia?
I am looking at some 'perfect pie crust recipes' which say I need
vegetable shortening.
I know copha is a coconut oil shortening in australia, but I don't
think that will go well with the pie crust.

Is there an alternative to vegetable shortening?

Thank you
Mike

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dear Bakers
>
> Can anyone tell me where I can purchase vegetable shortening in
> australia?
> I am looking at some 'perfect pie crust recipes' which say I need
> vegetable shortening.
> I know copha is a coconut oil shortening in australia, but I don't
> think that will go well with the pie crust.
>
> Is there an alternative to vegetable shortening?

The "perfect" pie crust is a subjective concept. In my opinion, nothing
makes a better crust than butter. I do like to use a little solid
shortening to improve the handling qualities of the dough. My mother thinks
that lard makes the best crust. Some people who post here think that
hydrogenated shortening makes the best crust.

I will admit that shortening makes the crust very easy to handle and doesn't
generally require you to cool it since shortening is rather solid even at
high room temperature and body temperature. That is a negative for me when
it comes time to eat the crust. The fat tends to coat the mouth instead of
melting at body temperature. For me, that is unpleasant. Also, shortening
adds absolutely no flavor to the crust. Again, that is a subjective
observation. I'm sure some people prefer a very neutral, flavorless fat in
pastry but I like the flavor of butter.

If you can't find shortening, then try lard. Make sure you have all the fat
and liquid very cold. A couple hours in the freeze usually helps the fat.

When I lived in Australia , at the supermarket, vegetable shortening
was in the cooking section in cans or in the refrigerated dairy case in
blocks or tubs.

Copha is NOT an acceptable substitute.

Thank you all for your advice.
Taking this into consideration, I've substituted animal fat ( lard )
for vegetable shortening. Althought I did use 1/2 butter and 1/2 lard
and I made the best pastry ever. Flaky but holding very well.

Copha is coconut oil and I didn't want it to change the pastry flavour.
Wish we had Crisco!

Thanks all

wrote:
> When I lived in Australia , at the supermarket, vegetable shortening
> was in the cooking section in cans or in the refrigerated dairy case in
> blocks or tubs.
>
> Copha is NOT an acceptable substitute.

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 05 Jul 2005 05:36:24a, wrote in rec.food.baking:

> Thank you all for your advice.
> Taking this into consideration, I've substituted animal fat ( lard )
> for vegetable shortening. Althought I did use 1/2 butter and 1/2 lard
> and I made the best pastry ever. Flaky but holding very well.
>
> Copha is coconut oil and I didn't want it to change the pastry flavour.
> Wish we had Crisco!
>
> Thanks all

I didn't see the rest of the thread, but I think half butter and half lard
makes of of the best pastries possible. While I do use it, Crisco is a pale
second in comparison. It does produce a flaky pastry, but it also has a very
bland taste.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
Tested on: 7/5/2005 6:44:28 AM

Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Tue 05 Jul 2005 05:36:24a, wrote in rec.food.baking:
>
> > Thank you all for your advice.
> > Taking this into consideration, I've substituted animal fat ( lard )
> > for vegetable shortening. Althought I did use 1/2 butter and 1/2 lard
> > and I made the best pastry ever. Flaky but holding very well.
> >
> > Copha is coconut oil and I didn't want it to change the pastry flavour.
> > Wish we had Crisco!
> >
> > Thanks all

> I didn't see the rest of the thread, but I think half butter and half lard
> makes of of the best pastries possible. While I do use it, Crisco is a

pale
> second in comparison. It does produce a flaky pastry, but it also has a

very
> bland taste.

I also find the greasy coating that Crisco leaves in your mouth unpleasant.

graham

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thank you all for your advice.
> Taking this into consideration, I've substituted animal fat ( lard )
> for vegetable shortening. Althought I did use 1/2 butter and 1/2 lard
> and I made the best pastry ever. Flaky but holding very well.
>
> Copha is coconut oil and I didn't want it to change the pastry flavour.
> Wish we had Crisco!

Be careful what you wish for!
Graham

Hmm you're right. I got the recipe off the Crisco website doing a
google search.
Of course they would say to use Crisco.
I am glad I use the half butter/half lard
It would be good to have Crisco to make my own judgement though!
thanks all