Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cook's Illustrated online

http://www.cooksillustrated.com
Does anyone have a paid subscription?
Money well spent? Money wasted?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> http://www.cooksillustrated.com
> Does anyone have a paid subscription?
> Money well spent? Money wasted?

IIRC it comes free with a subscription to the magazine. At least it did
when I took the mag for a couple of years. Basically I found it to be a
rehash of the magazine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 5, 5:48*am, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> http://www.cooksillustrated.com
> Does anyone have a paid subscription? *
> Money well spent? *Money wasted?

Probably wasted, but it's not very much money. I mostly use it
for searching for recipes. If they turn up in an issue that I have,
I get it off the shelf. Otherwise, I print it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > http://www.cooksillustrated.com
> > Does anyone have a paid subscription?
> > Money well spent? Money wasted?

> IIRC it comes free with a subscription to the magazine. At least it did
> when I took the mag for a couple of years. Basically I found it to be a
> rehash of the magazine.

Nah, you get it free for 14 days. I haven't tried that yet ‹ I almost
did a couple months ago when I was looking for an old recipe and didn't
especially want to dig through my archived magazines. An online search,
though, turned up the CI recipe I wanted. Too bad I don't remember what
it was for! LOL! Anyway. . . .I understand it's the CI mag and more of
the America's Test Kitchen stuff.
Thanks, Jorge. Look out for them banana peels. '-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nina > wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 06:29:28 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
> >Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >> http://www.cooksillustrated.com
> >> Does anyone have a paid subscription?
> >> Money well spent? Money wasted?

> >IIRC it comes free with a subscription to the magazine. At least it did
> >when I took the mag for a couple of years. Basically I found it to be a
> >rehash of the magazine.

> Last time I had it, it didn't come free with a magazine subscription,
> unfortunately. I liked (a lot) that it was searchable... I subscribed
> to the magazine for a while, fun to read but I can never find what I
> want when I want it, and then I get tired of the magazine clutter. So
> to me it was worth it; it's a nice site, and if you like the magazine,
> it is much the same but, well, searchable and doesn't take up space on
> the shelf.
>
> Nina

Thanks, Nina. I like paper magazines; I've got every CI since they came
out in the early '80s. I like the idea of the online search, too.
Maybe I'll give the 14-day thing a shot and decide after that.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> Nina >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:41:51 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>>> Thanks, Nina. I like paper magazines; I've got every CI since they
>>> came out in the early '80s. I like the idea of the online search,
>>> too. Maybe I'll give the 14-day thing a shot and decide after that.

>> I do, too, but <sigh> I am just buried in paper. There's got to be an
>> end somewhere...

> That is my problem with mag subscriptions. They just seem to keep piling
> up and all I do is shuffle them around in order to dust around them. I
> like the online subscription idea though.
>
> Michael

I know what you mean. I personally subscribe to two magazines. The DH
gets every frickin' computer mag and business mag possible. They just
pile up everywhere. Every now and again I find the oldest 10 or 12 and
toss 'em. He never notices. ;-)

-Tracy
(I happen to know someone who works at CI -and can get recipes very
easily...shhhh, don't tell anyone.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> Nina >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:41:51 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>>> Thanks, Nina. I like paper magazines; I've got every CI since they
>>> came out in the early '80s. I like the idea of the online search,
>>> too. Maybe I'll give the 14-day thing a shot and decide after that.

>> I do, too, but <sigh> I am just buried in paper. There's got to be an
>> end somewhere...

> That is my problem with mag subscriptions. They just seem to keep piling
> up and all I do is shuffle them around in order to dust around them. I
> like the online subscription idea though.
>
> Michael

I know what you mean. I personally subscribe to two magazines. The DH
gets every frickin' computer mag and business mag possible. They just
pile up everywhere. Every now and again I find the oldest 10 or 12 and
toss 'em. He never notices. ;-)

-Tracy
(I happen to know someone who works at CI -and can get recipes very
easily...shhhh, don't tell anyone.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:41:51 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Thanks, Nina. I like paper magazines;

yer killing poor defensless trees and contributing to global warming!

Besides, what's he point? It's all online. I used to buy a dozen rags a
month. When the prices skyrocketed above $5 per, I said screw this. I
haven't bought a magazine since google came online and don't miss 'em one
bit.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> http://www.cooksillustrated.com
> Does anyone have a paid subscription?
> Money well spent? Money wasted?

I have the online subscription. Doesn't come with the mag. I like the
searchability and don't wind up with zillions of paper magazines. I
confess, however, that I don't use it that often these days.

TammyM, also inundated by The Economist and New Yorker

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barb asked:

> Does anyone have a paid subscription?
> Money well spent? Money wasted?

I used to subscribe to the magazine, but I've never subscribed to the web
site. One of my coworkers subscribed to the site but couldn't justify the
cost in his mind, so he canceled his subscription.

The best solution I've found is to buy their hardbound annual version, which
contains the magazine issues for that entire year, along with an index for
that year. It's a lot less clutter than keeping the individual magazines
around. Checking the CI web site, I see than an annual magazine subscription
costs $37.50. The hardbound annual costs $26.95 (plus shipping), and once
you order an annual they put you on the mailing list for future annuals.

Every once in a while CI puts out a consolidated index which spans 10 years
or so, which makes it easier to find recipes you remember from years past
only you can't remember *which* year it was. But there's an easier way: If
you go onto the America's Test Kitchen web site and search for that recipe,
you'll see the "Premium Content" banner page which tells you that you need
to subscribe to the site to see the recipe -- but it also says what month
and year the recipe was published in the magazine.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nina > wrote:

> Last time I had it, it didn't come free with a magazine subscription,
> unfortunately. I liked (a lot) that it was searchable... I subscribed
> to the magazine for a while, fun to read but I can never find what I
> want when I want it, and then I get tired of the magazine clutter. So
> to me it was worth it; it's a nice site, and if you like the magazine,
> it is much the same but, well, searchable and doesn't take up space on
> the shelf.
>
> Nina

Even if you don't buy the hardcover versions, if you keep your magazines
it's well worth it to buy the indexes they publish. I don't buy it every
year but every couple.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> http://www.cooksillustrated.com
>> Does anyone have a paid subscription? Money well spent? Money wasted?

> IIRC it comes free with a subscription to the magazine. At least it did
> when I took the mag for a couple of years. Basically I found it to be a
> rehash of the magazine.

The internet Cooks Illustrated subscription is separate from the printed
subscription. Now and then there will be a short videojug type of demo that
is free. However it is, like Consumers Report, a separate subscription.

Regarding Cooks Illustrated, the magazine, we've subscribed to the printed
version for many years, probably since its inception. We had Christopher
Kimball's food when he was the chef at the Majestic Cafe in San Francisco.
Generally his magazine is pretty good. There is, however, only so much you
do rehashing old recipes. It's getting a bit thin.

Theron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:41:51 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Thanks, Nina. I like paper magazines; I've got every CI since they came
>out in the early '80s. I like the idea of the online search, too.
>Maybe I'll give the 14-day thing a shot and decide after that.

I didn't think it started til the later 80s? Or maybe even later?

I have some volumes of the Cooks Magazine that Christopher Kimball
had before he folded that one and started CI. That was full of ads,
and such...but had some great food in it.

One of my favorite issues was one that was in either 85, 86 or 87. I
say that, cause I have somehow lost that issue, and cannot check out
the dates. However, it was an issue that had holiday desserts, and
from whence my Pear Mincemeat Tart comes. I have a few pages of that
issue that I copied, but there were a few more desserts in that issue
for which I had directions now.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Barb asked:
>
> > Does anyone have a paid subscription?
> > Money well spent? Money wasted?

> around. Checking the CI web site, I see than an annual magazine subscription
> costs $37.50. The hardbound annual costs $26.95 (plus shipping), and once
> you order an annual they put you on the mailing list for future annuals.
> Bob

Interesting. Problem I see with the hardbound annual is that you only
get it once a year (logical). I'd have to wait a year to know what I
wanted to look for. I much much prefer the individual issues to peruse
every other month.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Theron" > wrote:

> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >> http://www.cooksillustrated.com
> >> Does anyone have a paid subscription? Money well spent? Money wasted?

> The internet Cooks Illustrated subscription is separate from the printed
> subscription. Now and then there will be a short videojug type of demo that
> is free. However it is, like Consumers Report, a separate subscription.

I was getting them as free podcast videos.

> Generally his magazine is pretty good. There is, however, only so much you
> do rehashing old recipes. It's getting a bit thin.
>
> Theron

There is that.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:41:51 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > Thanks, Nina. I like paper magazines;

> yer killing poor defensless trees and contributing to global warming!
>
> Besides, what's he point?
> nb

I like to read some things from paper.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:56:30 -0800, "Theron" >
wrote:

>We had Christopher
>Kimball's food when he was the chef at the Majestic Cafe in San Francisco.

Cafe Majestic? When was that? I'm disgustingly ignorant of chefs
unless they put their name on the restaurant.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:41:51 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

> >Thanks, Nina. I like paper magazines; I've got every CI since they came
> >out in the early '80s. I like the idea of the online search, too.
> >Maybe I'll give the 14-day thing a shot and decide after that.

> I didn't think it started til the later 80s? Or maybe even later?
> Christine

Indeed!! ~Spring of 1993 ! My bad.
Seems like I've been making those brownies forever! <g>

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 21:26:31 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Indeed!! ~Spring of 1993 ! My bad.
> Seems like I've been making those brownies forever! <g>

I still like the earlier Cooks magazines. I got some good/great
recipes from them!!

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

>> around. Checking the CI web site, I see than an annual magazine
>> subscription costs $37.50. The hardbound annual costs $26.95 (plus
>> shipping), and once you order an annual they put you on the mailing
>> list for future annuals. Bob

> Interesting. Problem I see with the hardbound annual is that you only
> get it once a year (logical). I'd have to wait a year to know what I
> wanted to look for. I much much prefer the individual issues to
> peruse every other month.

I paid $47 for 2 years. There are some of us who just like
holding a book or a magazine and curling up with a laptop
will never replace that. Not better or worse, just the way it
is. You get the mail and Oh! Look what showed up. I like
getting magazines in the mail.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> http://www.cooksillustrated.com
> Does anyone have a paid subscription?
> Money well spent? Money wasted?
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> <http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
> December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
> I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."

So far I have resisted the temptation - they get enough of my money.

Dimitri