Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The shopping list

Sent hubby to the store with a shopping list. Nothing hard to find, I
thought. He couldn't find canelli beans or black eyed peas beans in a
can. OK, I get it about black eyed peas, but canelli beans??? That's
two off the list for New Years.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Sent hubby to the store with a shopping list. Nothing hard to find, I
> thought. He couldn't find canelli beans or black eyed peas beans in a
> can. OK, I get it about black eyed peas, but canelli beans??? That's
> two off the list for New Years.

cannelini beans?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 18:03:03 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> Sent hubby to the store with a shopping list. Nothing hard to find, I
>> thought. He couldn't find canelli beans or black eyed peas beans in a
>> can. OK, I get it about black eyed peas, but canelli beans??? That's
>> two off the list for New Years.
>>

>cannelini beans?

Yes, those white beans you see in minestrone. They're the size and
shape of small kidney beans, but they're white. It's the only can on
the shelf with white beans so even if they had a different name, they
would have been easy to spot.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:51:00 -0800, sf > wrote:

>>cannelini beans?

>Yes, those white beans you see in minestrone. They're the size and
>shape of small kidney beans, but they're white. It's the only can on
>the shelf with white beans so even if they had a different name, they
>would have been easy to spot.

Trader Joes has them.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 31 Dec 2008 04:51:00p, sf told us...

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 18:03:03 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>>sf wrote:
>>> Sent hubby to the store with a shopping list. Nothing hard to find, I
>>> thought. He couldn't find canelli beans or black eyed peas beans in a
>>> can. OK, I get it about black eyed peas, but canelli beans??? That's
>>> two off the list for New Years.
>>>

>>cannelini beans?

> Yes, those white beans you see in minestrone. They're the size and
> shape of small kidney beans, but they're white. It's the only can on
> the shelf with white beans so even if they had a different name, they
> would have been easy to spot.

I rarely ask David to go to the store for me, even with a shopping list.
But when I do, I tell him not to come home until he has found everything on
the list. He hasn't failed yet, but has sometimes gone to four
supermarkets or other stores to get them. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 12(XII)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
The fewer clear facts you have in support of an opinion, the
stronger your emotional attachment to that opinion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:54:09 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:51:00 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

>>>cannelini beans?

>>Yes, those white beans you see in minestrone. They're the size and
>>shape of small kidney beans, but they're white. It's the only can on
>>the shelf with white beans so even if they had a different name, they
>>would have been easy to spot.

>Trader Joes has them.

I figgered, but he didn't go there. Too many shoppers everywhere and
he was frazzled.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I rarely ask David to go to the store for me, even with a shopping list.
> But when I do, I tell him not to come home until he has found everything on
> the list. He hasn't failed yet, but has sometimes gone to four
> supermarkets or other stores to get them. <g>

My ex-husband came home from the store with Sure Maxipads, when I had
Sure Antiperspirant on the list. Could I use it? Yeah, but not for the
same thing. This is why I have husband 2.0.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 01 Jan 2009 08:53:28a, Becca told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I rarely ask David to go to the store for me, even with a shopping
>> list. But when I do, I tell him not to come home until he has found
>> everything on the list. He hasn't failed yet, but has sometimes gone
>> to four supermarkets or other stores to get them. <g>

> My ex-husband came home from the store with Sure Maxipads, when I had
> Sure Antiperspirant on the list. Could I use it? Yeah, but not for the
> same thing. This is why I have husband 2.0.
>
> Becca

ROTF! At least he was "Sure"! <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 01(I)/01(I)/09(MMIX)
Today is: New Years Day
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 3dys 15hrs 4mins
How much can I get away with and still go to heaven?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I rarely ask David to go to the store for me, even with a shopping
>> list. But when I do, I tell him not to come home until he has found
>> everything on the list. He hasn't failed yet, but has sometimes
>> gone to four supermarkets or other stores to get them. <g>

> My ex-husband came home from the store with Sure Maxipads, when I had
> Sure Antiperspirant on the list. Could I use it? Yeah, but not for
> the same thing. This is why I have husband 2.0.

(laugh!!) That's hilarious. I assume he wasn't making a
comment about your present mood.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> Sent hubby to the store with a shopping list. Nothing hard to find, I
> thought. He couldn't find canelli beans or black eyed peas beans in a
> can. OK, I get it about black eyed peas, but canelli beans??? That's
> two off the list for New Years.

What's a Canelli bean? (nevermind, I can google)

With a pressure cooker, I could make black eyed peas from scratch in
under an hour...

if I wanted too.

Can't stand those things. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 09:53:28 -0600, Becca >
wrote:

>My ex-husband came home from the store with Sure Maxipads, when I had
>Sure Antiperspirant on the list. Could I use it? Yeah, but not for the
>same thing. This is why I have husband 2.0.

What? You've never heard of dress shields? I think you're being far
too closed-minded about this thing.

Carol

--
Change JamesBond to his agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 09:53:28 -0600, Becca >
> wrote:
>
>>My ex-husband came home from the store with Sure Maxipads, when I had
>>Sure Antiperspirant on the list. Could I use it? Yeah, but not for the
>>same thing. This is why I have husband 2.0.

Sheesh! I would NEVER dump a husband who would accept a shopping list with
any "feminine hygiene product" on it!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message

>> On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 09:53:28 -0600, Becca >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>My ex-husband came home from the store with Sure Maxipads, when I had
>>>Sure Antiperspirant on the list. Could I use it? Yeah, but not for the
>>>same thing. This is why I have husband 2.0.

> Sheesh! I would NEVER dump a husband who would accept a shopping list with
> any "feminine hygiene product" on it!

These young women are just full of a sense of entitlement.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> I rarely ask David to go to the store for me, even with a shopping
>>> list. But when I do, I tell him not to come home until he has found
>>> everything on the list. He hasn't failed yet, but has sometimes
>>> gone to four supermarkets or other stores to get them. <g>

>> My ex-husband came home from the store with Sure Maxipads, when I had
>> Sure Antiperspirant on the list. Could I use it? Yeah, but not for
>> the same thing. This is why I have husband 2.0.

> (laugh!!) That's hilarious. I assume he wasn't making a
> comment about your present mood.
> nancy

Who, me? I am always nice. <looking innocent>

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 09:53:28 -0600, Becca >
> wrote:
>
>> My ex-husband came home from the store with Sure Maxipads, when I had
>> Sure Antiperspirant on the list. Could I use it? Yeah, but not for the
>> same thing. This is why I have husband 2.0.

> What? You've never heard of dress shields? I think you're being far
> too closed-minded about this thing.
>
> Carol

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 11:18:14 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>What? You've never heard of dress shields? I think you're being far
>too closed-minded about this thing.

The Ethel Merman Estate has her used ones for sale on eBay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 11:15:39 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>With a pressure cooker, I could make black eyed peas from scratch in
>under an hour...
>
>if I wanted too.
>
>Can't stand those things. <g>

Oddly, they are the first kind of beany bean I remember eating other
than Boston baked beans. I love them. *Nobody* in my family is even
kinda sorta from the South, either. I wanted to make a NYs Day
surprise for niece's Texan hubby. Oh well. No can do.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Down South, New Year's Day dinner is collard or turnip greens and black
eyed peas. Every "green" is a dollar and every "pea" is a quarter you
will have for the upcoming year.

Me, Im not having either one.

Lass

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I rarely ask David to go to the store for me, even with a shopping
>> list. But when I do, I tell him not to come home until he has found
>> everything on the list. He hasn't failed yet, but has sometimes gone
>> to four supermarkets or other stores to get them. <g>

> My ex-husband came home from the store with Sure Maxipads, when I had
> Sure Antiperspirant on the list. Could I use it? Yeah, but not for the
> same thing. This is why I have husband 2.0.
>
> Becca

Uh, those are quite different....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 01 Jan 2009 10:18:14a, Damsel in dis Dress told us...

> On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 09:53:28 -0600, Becca >
> wrote:
>
>>My ex-husband came home from the store with Sure Maxipads, when I had
>>Sure Antiperspirant on the list. Could I use it? Yeah, but not for the
>>same thing. This is why I have husband 2.0.

> What? You've never heard of dress shields? I think you're being far
> too closed-minded about this thing.
>
> Carol

Heh, I remember my mother using dress shields, especially with delicate
fabrics and very good dresses.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 01(I)/01(I)/09(MMIX)
Today is: New Years Day
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 3dys 9hrs 30mins
E Pluribus UNIX.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 31 Dec 2008 04:51:00p, sf told us...

> >>cannelini beans?

> > Yes, those white beans you see in minestrone. They're the size and
> > shape of small kidney beans, but they're white. It's the only can on
> > the shelf with white beans so even if they had a different name, they
> > would have been easy to spot.

> I rarely ask David to go to the store for me, even with a shopping list.
> But when I do, I tell him not to come home until he has found everything on
> the list. He hasn't failed yet, but has sometimes gone to four
> supermarkets or other stores to get them. <g>

Does he come back with bonus items? That's been known to happen when
one of us sends the other to the store.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I rarely ask David to go to the store for me, even with a shopping
>> list. But when I do, I tell him not to come home until he has found
>> everything on the list. He hasn't failed yet, but has sometimes gone
>> to four supermarkets or other stores to get them. <g>

> My ex-husband came home from the store with Sure Maxipads, when I had
> Sure Antiperspirant on the list. Could I use it? Yeah, but not for
> the same thing. This is why I have husband 2.0.
>
> Becca

Not quite so funny I'm sure, but here's an example of why I don't ask Rob
to go to the shops for anything more complicated than bread, milk and
cheese :-)

Asked him to get me 2 x 375ml cans of light evaporated milk for something I
was making. He came home with 2 x 400g cans of full fat milk powder... and
he'd asked someone in the supermarket for help! Who, I wondered - oh some
young guy packing shelves.

Solution - printed out a picture of the right product and sent him back to
the shop :-)

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31 2008, 5:53*pm, sf > wrote:
> Sent hubby to the store with a shopping list. *Nothing hard to find, I
> thought. *He couldn't find canelli beans or black eyed peas beans in a
> can. *OK, I get it about black eyed peas, but canelli beans??? *

Well, hell, if that's the way you spelled it on the list, no wonder he
cudn't find 'em. : ))

You're lucky he even was willing to go. My other half will go but
only if the list doesn't exceed 5 or 6 items - wants to use the
express lines and not spend the whole day searching.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 06 Jan 2009 05:14:15p, T told us...

> In article 0>,
> says...

>> > Yes, those white beans you see in minestrone. They're the size and
>> > shape of small kidney beans, but they're white. It's the only can on
>> > the shelf with white beans so even if they had a different name, they
>> > would have been easy to spot.

>> I rarely ask David to go to the store for me, even with a shopping
>> list. But when I do, I tell him not to come home until he has found
>> everything on the list. He hasn't failed yet, but has sometimes gone
>> to four supermarkets or other stores to get them. <g>
>>

> Now that is simply evil of you. The poor guy.

You're probably right, Tony, but often times the things I send him for
involve dishes that he particularly likes. (He often calls on his cell
from the store.) :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/06(VI)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 5dys 5hrs 47mins
Winning isn't everything - but losing SUCKS!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1-Jan-2009, Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > Sent hubby to the store with a shopping list. Nothing hard to find, I
> > thought. He couldn't find canelli beans or black eyed peas beans in a
> > can. OK, I get it about black eyed peas, but canelli beans??? That's
> > two off the list for New Years.

> What's a Canelli bean? (nevermind, I can google)
>
> With a pressure cooker, I could make black eyed peas from scratch in
> under an hour...
>
> if I wanted too.
>
> Can't stand those things. <g>
> --
> Peace! Om

Use an Indian recipe for Moong Dal and substitute the blackeye peas for
the prescribed Dal. Definitely use the pressure cooker. The Indians do.
You wouldn't believe the difference from down home American blackeye
pea recipies.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Black eyed peas (was The shopping list)

In article .com>,
"Brick" > wrote:

> On 1-Jan-2009, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:
> >
> > > Sent hubby to the store with a shopping list. Nothing hard to find, I
> > > thought. He couldn't find canelli beans or black eyed peas beans in a
> > > can. OK, I get it about black eyed peas, but canelli beans??? That's
> > > two off the list for New Years.

> > What's a Canelli bean? (nevermind, I can google)
> >
> > With a pressure cooker, I could make black eyed peas from scratch in
> > under an hour...
> >
> > if I wanted too.
> >
> > Can't stand those things. <g>
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Use an Indian recipe for Moong Dal and substitute the blackeye peas for
> the prescribed Dal. Definitely use the pressure cooker. The Indians do.
> You wouldn't believe the difference from down home American blackeye
> pea recipies.

Ok, I'll google for that.
I'm always game to re-try foods I don't generally like prepared in a
different way.

I'm still trying to work up the courage to re-try brussel sprouts,
roasted instead of steamed. <g> I liked them as a kid but they have no
appeal now. Last time dad bought a package, they rotted in the 'frige
and I felt guilty about that. :-(

Okay, Moong Dal:

(From <http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moong-Dal/Detail.aspx>)

Looks like other variations are made with lentils or mung beans based on
the google results. I'd also probably substitute stock for the water.

INGREDIENTS

* 2 1/2 cups dried yellow split peas
* 2 1/2 cups water
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
* 1 teaspoon diced jalapeno chile pepper
* 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
* 3 teaspoons lemon juice
* 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
* 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon cumin seed
* 1/2 dried red chile pepper
* 1 pinch Asafoetida
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
* Customize Recipe
* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. Rinse split peas; soak in 2 1/2 cups water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat split peas and water, with salt, until boiling. Reduce heat
to medium and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until tender and thickened. Add
more water, if necessary, to prevent drying out. To the cooked split
peas add ginger, jalapeno pepper, tomato, lemon juice and turmeric.
3. Heat oil in a small saucepan and add cumin seed and red chile
pepper. When pepper is heated add Asafoetida and garlic. Stir mixture
into split peas and add cilantro; mix well.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 02:02:58 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>I'm still trying to work up the courage to re-try brussel sprouts,
>roasted instead of steamed. <g>

Once you do it, you'll be hooked. Make them while the weather is cool
and you can really appreciate it.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 02:02:58 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm still trying to work up the courage to re-try brussel sprouts,
> >roasted instead of steamed. <g>

> Once you do it, you'll be hooked. Make them while the weather is cool
> and you can really appreciate it.

Ok, I'll put them on my shopping list.
I have a bunch of carrots to roast soon, so I can add those to the
roaster.

Any coatings/special treatment?
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 04:10:41 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 02:02:58 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm still trying to work up the courage to re-try brussel sprouts,
>> >roasted instead of steamed. <g>

>> Once you do it, you'll be hooked. Make them while the weather is cool
>> and you can really appreciate it.

>Ok, I'll put them on my shopping list.
>I have a bunch of carrots to roast soon, so I can add those to the
>roaster.
>
>Any coatings/special treatment?

I do EVOO and garlic. You can go fancier or plainer, but that's what
I like and you can cut them in half or not depending on size. I buy
small ones... maybe an inch in diameter, not too much bigger.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 04:10:41 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > sf > wrote:

> >> Once you do it, you'll be hooked. Make them while the weather is cool
> >> and you can really appreciate it.

> >Ok, I'll put them on my shopping list.
> >I have a bunch of carrots to roast soon, so I can add those to the
> >roaster.
> >
> >Any coatings/special treatment?

> I do EVOO and garlic. You can go fancier or plainer, but that's what
> I like and you can cut them in half or not depending on size. I buy
> small ones... maybe an inch in diameter, not too much bigger.

Thanks.

I'll be sure to report when I actually do it. :-)