Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Steak Vault At Peter Luger's

It doesn't work in my browser, but allegedly
this gets you to a 360 panoramic view of the
steak vault at Peter Luger's.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ooms-pano.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in
:

> It doesn't work in my browser, but allegedly
> this gets you to a 360 panoramic view of the
> steak vault at Peter Luger's.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...081222-rooms-p
> ano.html

There's some damn fine lookin' t-bones in there, as soon as they cut that
big chunk of fat off!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

You will travel through the valley of rejection;
you will reside in the land of morning mists...and you will find your home,
though it will not be where you left it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 15:29:08 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>It doesn't work in my browser, but allegedly
>this gets you to a 360 panoramic view of the
>steak vault at Peter Luger's.
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ooms-pano.html

I'm impressed!

I was immediately reminded of the prosciutto drying room in the
basement of the North Beach Restaurant. It's not 2,000 sq ft of
course. The drying room is directly across from here
http://www.northbeachrestaurant.com/rooms.htm# You either like the
idea or you don't. I love that dining room.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 15:29:08 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>>It doesn't work in my browser, but allegedly
>>this gets you to a 360 panoramic view of the
>>steak vault at Peter Luger's.
>>
>>http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ooms-pano.html

> I'm impressed!

I'm a big fan of good beef (as y'll might have guessed), but that
really doesn't look all that appetizing. I do wee some ribeyes
hiding back there, though. They look pretty edible.

I especially liked the high-tech ventilation system - a $15 floor
fan from Walmart with a cord running up to the ceiling someplace.

I wonder what they do with all that fat, and if it's usable as
tallow after the aging process. It may get slightly rancid.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I wonder what they do with all that fat, and if it's usable as
> tallow after the aging process. It may get slightly rancid.

The world isn't really starved for tallow, but this
reminds me of something that seemed absurdly decadent
to me, last time I was in Whole Foods.

It was bulk artisan soaps! You could buy chunks of
herbal soaps by the pound! They came in large colorful
discs, and they'd cut off a chunk for you like it was
Parmigiano-Reggiano!

Now, I know how to top that! Make the soap from genuine
Peter Luger's premium tallow! This could be a whole
new business for those guys!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>It doesn't work in my browser, but allegedly
>this gets you to a 360 panoramic view of the
>steak vault at Peter Luger's.
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ooms-pano.html

Works in my version of Firefox. And the panorama works up and down,
not just left and right.

Interesting to see the color change in what I'm guessing are the aged
porterhouse steaks -- from pink to brick brown-red.

The crud on the floor, on the other hand, is not very inspiring.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My browser (IE 7) would not open it until I copied the top line and then
typed in the rest of the address from the second line of the newsgroup
entry. Then it worked fine... all the pans too.
.. . . . And old gourmet chef told me the secret of aging meat is the temp
and the humidity. If the temp is below 39 F degrees, the good bacteria that
tenderizes and enhances taste go dormant. If the temp is above 41 F degrees
then the bad bacteria takes over and you could have spoiled meat. Humidity
has to be kept up too.
.. . . . If one ever noticed the old time butcher shop walk-in coolers, the
refrigeration expansion pipes were on the ceiling with small gutters to
collect the condensate during defrost cycle. Most butchers always kept that
water in the 'box' and even added to it if necessary. And old refrigeration
tech told me that the water that newer fan induced cooling evaporators
collected during defrost was as expensive per weight, as the meat in the
cooler. If that condensate was 'piped' out of the 'box' then it was lost
and the 'box' dried out. As did the produce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
:

> The crud on the floor, on the other hand, is not very inspiring.
> --

Neither is the absolutely filthy ceiling!!

Mould???

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

You will travel through the valley of rejection;
you will reside in the land of morning mists...and you will find your home,
though it will not be where you left it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas wrote:

> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
> :
>
> > The crud on the floor, on the other hand, is not very inspiring.

> Neither is the absolutely filthy ceiling!!
>
> Mould???

Ahem. That's called seasoning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> PeterLucas wrote:
>> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> The crud on the floor, on the other hand, is not very inspiring.

As much as I love beef, I just kept imagining all the hidden prions
when I saw those ginromous hunks-o-beef and all that fat.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> It doesn't work in my browser, but allegedly
> this gets you to a 360 panoramic view of the
> steak vault at Peter Luger's.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ooms-pano.html

You RAT!

Yum!

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in :

> PeterLucas wrote:
>>
>> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > The crud on the floor, on the other hand, is not very inspiring.

>> Neither is the absolutely filthy ceiling!!
>>
>> Mould???

> Ahem. That's called seasoning.

LOL!!!

Some call it Penicillin!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

You will travel through the valley of rejection;
you will reside in the land of morning mists...and you will find your home,
though it will not be where you left it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In 1970, I worked for Dr. Harry Spiera, a Rheumatologist on Patk Avenue.
When my mom came up from Atlanta to visit me, I mentioned to Dr. Spiera
that she had come. He pulled out his Rx pad and weote, "Jim, take care
of Miss Roberts and her mother, thanks, Harry".

Hnading it to me, he said," Take your mom to Peter Lugers on me." I
stuttered a Thank You. "No problem", he said. My wife's family owns
it."

It was a meal I will never forget. We ordered the "porterhouse for two"
and the steak literally hung OVER the edge of the platter. A Perfect
steak.

Lass

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I forgot to mention....Dr. Spiera and his family were Orthodox
Jews....so none of them could EAT at Peter Luger's...how sad is THAT?

Imagine your wife and her fam owning a place like that....and never
being able to taste the wares. Man...that is sad.

Lass

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lass Chance_2 wrote:
> In 1970, I worked for Dr. Harry Spiera, a Rheumatologist on Patk Avenue.
> When my mom came up from Atlanta to visit me, I mentioned to Dr. Spiera
> that she had come. He pulled out his Rx pad and weote, "Jim, take care
> of Miss Roberts and her mother, thanks, Harry".
>
> Hnading it to me, he said," Take your mom to Peter Lugers on me." I
> stuttered a Thank You. "No problem", he said. My wife's family owns
> it."
>
> It was a meal I will never forget. We ordered the "porterhouse for two"
> and the steak literally hung OVER the edge of the platter. A Perfect
> steak.
>
> Lass

What a great prescription. Does that come in donuts, by chance?

BTW, the doctor who did my mother's facelift was a Dr. Spiera, but he
was in Houston.

Becca