Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Very Thick Peanut Brittle

I'm looking for a recipe for very thick peanut brittle. By "thick", I
mean an inch or more. The piece I had, many years ago, had a top and
bottom "skin" just like regular peanut brittle. The middle, however, was
a delicate, lacy, crunchy honeycomb. To me, the honeycomb is the
important part.

I could probably just take a regular peanut brittle recipe, maybe double
the baking soda and pour it into a buttered pie pan and let it cool
without stretching, but perhaps somebody in this group has a complete
recipe or could provide some hints. Even a better name would help. I've
not had any luck searching the internet for this.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 22 Dec 2008 10:41:57p, whirled peas told us...

> I'm looking for a recipe for very thick peanut brittle. By "thick", I
> mean an inch or more. The piece I had, many years ago, had a top and
> bottom "skin" just like regular peanut brittle. The middle, however, was
> a delicate, lacy, crunchy honeycomb. To me, the honeycomb is the
> important part.
>
> I could probably just take a regular peanut brittle recipe, maybe double
> the baking soda and pour it into a buttered pie pan and let it cool
> without stretching, but perhaps somebody in this group has a complete
> recipe or could provide some hints. Even a better name would help. I've
> not had any luck searching the internet for this.
>
> Thanks in advance.

This is but one of many recipes...

HONEYCOMB CANDY

1 c. light or dark corn syrup (depending on taste you prefer)
1 c. sugar
1 cup raw peanuts
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 tbsp. baking soda

Cook first 4 ingredients to 300 degrees. Add soda. Pour into a buttered 9 x
9 inch dish. Do not spread. Let cool.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
whirled peas > wrote:

> recipe or could provide some hints. Even a better name would help. I've
> not had any luck searching the internet for this.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Look for Sponge Candy. That might be a place to start.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

whirled peas wrote:
> I'm looking for a recipe for very thick peanut brittle. By "thick", I
> mean an inch or more. The piece I had, many years ago, had a top and
> bottom "skin" just like regular peanut brittle. The middle, however, was
> a delicate, lacy, crunchy honeycomb. To me, the honeycomb is the
> important part.
>
> I could probably just take a regular peanut brittle recipe, maybe double
> the baking soda and pour it into a buttered pie pan and let it cool
> without stretching, but perhaps somebody in this group has a complete
> recipe or could provide some hints. Even a better name would help. I've
> not had any luck searching the internet for this.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I've made it that way at times but not deliberately, just accidentally.
I think it is just a matter of containing the brittle in a space that
doesn't allow it to spread thinner while it cools.
This is the recipe I've used with excellent results-

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Microwave Peanut Brittle
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Desserts

> 1 cup raw peanuts
> 1 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup white karo
> 1/8 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon butter
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
>
> Stir peanuts, sugar, karo and salt into 1 1/2 quart casserole.
> Cook 4 min on High. Stir
> Cook 4 more min. on High.
> Mix in butter and vanilla. Cook 2 more min. on High.
> Add baking soda and stir till white and foamy.
> Pour onto lightly greased sheet pan and cool one hour.
> Break into pieces and store in airtight container.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> whirled peas > wrote:
>
>> recipe or could provide some hints. Even a better name would help. I've
>> not had any luck searching the internet for this.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

> Look for Sponge Candy. That might be a place to start.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> <http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
> "I have fixed my roof, I have mended my fences;
> now let the winter winds blow."

I agree about the sponge recipe... or "foam" candy. It was discussed at
length here not long ago. I'm only experienced with making excellent but
brittle peanut and almond brittle

Jill