Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Healthy Lasagna Recipe

I altered my traditional lasagna recipe last night and it was a hit!
Whole wheat noodles, cottage cheese instead of ricotta and lean ground
beef makes this a leaner version that's still tasty.

Let me know what you guys think!

http://weightlossforwomen30.blogspot...na-recipe.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 12:15 pm, wrote:
> I altered my traditional lasagna recipe last night and it was a hit!
> Whole wheat noodles, cottage cheese instead of ricotta and lean ground
> beef makes this a leaner version that's still tasty.
>
> Let me know what you guys think!

Sorry - I'll want the full fat ricotta. Cottage cheese just doesn't
cut it for me. Lasagna is something I don't mind blowing my fat
allowance and calories on, as long as it isn't too often.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

val189 wrote

>> I altered my traditional lasagna recipe last night and it was a

hit!
>> Whole wheat noodles, cottage cheese instead of ricotta and lean
>> ground beef makes this a leaner version that's still tasty.
>>
>> Let me know what you guys think!

> Sorry - I'll want the full fat ricotta. Cottage cheese just doesn't
> cut it for me. Lasagna is something I don't mind blowing my fat
> allowance and calories on, as long as it isn't too often.

Why ricotta? It's got nothing to do in lasagne.
Noodles + bechamel sauce + ragu' + grated parmigiano reggiano, this is
a layer. Try it like that and you'll love it. Just make sure the ragu'
is not sweetened, it has to be a normal ragu' based on sauteed onion +
carrot + celery, then add the ground emat along with some ground
mortadella (bologna style) or ground prosciutto (emilia style) and
very little tomato sauce. The ragu' must be meaty-brown, not
tomatoey-red.
Only spices here are freshly grated black or white pepper and some
nutmeg, both in the ragu'.
Lay down the noodles, cover with bechamel, roughly dress with ragu'
and cover with a thin layer of grated parmigiano, and repeat. 30
minutes in the oven at 180°C and some grill at the end to gratin the
top.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
val189 > wrote:

> On Nov 30, 12:15 pm, wrote:
> > I altered my traditional lasagna recipe last night and it was a hit!
> > Whole wheat noodles, cottage cheese instead of ricotta and lean ground
> > beef makes this a leaner version that's still tasty.
> >
> > Let me know what you guys think!

> Sorry - I'll want the full fat ricotta. Cottage cheese just doesn't
> cut it for me. Lasagna is something I don't mind blowing my fat
> allowance and calories on, as long as it isn't too often.

I looked it up:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

whole milk ricotta 13% fat
part skim ricotta 8%
creamed cottage cheese 4%
2% cottage cheese 2%

Of course, for some of us, the percentage of fat is not so important,
it's the portion size. By the time I get as much lasagna as I want, my
diet is completely blown!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:15:02 -0800, kdkuykendall wrote:

> I altered my traditional lasagna recipe last night and it was a hit!
> Whole wheat noodles, cottage cheese instead of ricotta and lean ground
> beef makes this a leaner version that's still tasty.
>
> Let me know what you guys think!
>
> http://weightlossforwomen30.blogspot...thier-lasagna-

recipe.html

Low fat - high carb. If this recipe is supposed to optimised for weight
loss, you have it all the wrong way around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:15:02 -0800, kdkuykendall wrote:
>
> > I altered my traditional lasagna recipe last night and it was a hit!
> > Whole wheat noodles, cottage cheese instead of ricotta and lean ground
> > beef makes this a leaner version that's still tasty.
> >
> > Let me know what you guys think!
> >
> > http://weightlossforwomen.blogspot.c...thier-lasagna-

> recipe.html
>
> Low fat - high carb. If this recipe is supposed to optimised for weight
> loss, you have it all the wrong way around.

This person probably hasn't even tried the recipe.
The blogspot business model is to plagiarize content
wherever you can find it, then spam non-commercial
discussion newsgroups with come-ons for your website.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I altered my traditional lasagna recipe last night and it was a hit!
> Whole wheat noodles, cottage cheese instead of ricotta and lean ground
> beef makes this a leaner version that's still tasty.
>
> Let me know what you guys think!

http://weightlossforwomen30.blogspot...na-recipe.html

Another option to lighten a lasagna recipe is to substitute 1/2 amount
of ricotta or cottage cheese with drained, soft tofu. A bit more fat
than the cottage cheese but zero cholesterol...and IMHO, no compromise
in the filling's texture or taste.

1 cup whole milk ricotta - 428 calories - 31.93 grams of fat
1 cup part skimmed ricotta - 339 calories - 19.46 grams of fat
1 cup tofu - 151 calories - 9.15 grams of fat
1 cup 2% cottage cheese - 194 calories - 5.54 grams of fat

(nutritional information found at:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Mickey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:21:50 -0800 (PST), val189 wrote:

> On Nov 30, 12:15 pm, wrote:
>> I altered my traditional lasagna recipe last night and it was a hit!
>> Whole wheat noodles, cottage cheese instead of ricotta and lean ground
>> beef makes this a leaner version that's still tasty.
>>
>> Let me know what you guys think!

> Sorry - I'll want the full fat ricotta. Cottage cheese just doesn't
> cut it for me. Lasagna is something I don't mind blowing my fat
> allowance and calories on, as long as it isn't too often.

i think yours is the right attitude, val.

your pal,
blake