Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Raspberry Pie - I am so clueless

I have frozen raspberries. How do I make them into a pie for
WhatshisnamehisnameisJamie's Thanksgiving Day pleasure? Thaw first?
Measure, then thaw? Thaw, then measure? Drain? Cornstarch? Flour?

If I don't like what I read, I'm buyin' Mrs. Smith's
Blackberry-Raspberry pie.

I await your counsel.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 2:15*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> I have frozen raspberries. *How do I make them into a pie for
> WhatshisnamehisnameisJamie's Thanksgiving Day pleasure? *Thaw first? *
> Measure, then thaw? *Thaw, then measure? *Drain? *Cornstarch? *Flour?
>
> If I don't like what I read, I'm buyin' Mrs. Smith's
> Blackberry-Raspberry pie. *
>
> I await your counsel.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
> (Send her a note!)

No thaw- try tapioca instead of cornstarch or flour....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 19 Nov 2008 03:15:06p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> I have frozen raspberries. How do I make them into a pie for
> WhatshisnamehisnameisJamie's Thanksgiving Day pleasure? Thaw first?
> Measure, then thaw? Thaw, then measure? Drain? Cornstarch? Flour?
>
> If I don't like what I read, I'm buyin' Mrs. Smith's
> Blackberry-Raspberry pie.
>
> I await your counsel.

Don’t thaw or you’ll have mush. Use cornstarch.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 11(XI)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1wks 6hrs 30mins
We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients, but we can't scoff
at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 19 Nov 2008 03:15:06p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>
> > I have frozen raspberries. How do I make them into a pie for
> > WhatshisnamehisnameisJamie's Thanksgiving Day pleasure? Thaw first?
> > Measure, then thaw? Thaw, then measure? Drain? Cornstarch? Flour?
> >
> > If I don't like what I read, I'm buyin' Mrs. Smith's
> > Blackberry-Raspberry pie.
> >
> > I await your counsel.

> Don’t thaw or you’ll have mush. Use cornstarch.

OK, how do I keep the cornstarch/sugar mixture from simply falling
through the frozen berries? I think I tried it that way once with that
problem.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
(Send her a note!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 19 Nov 2008 08:49:36p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 7>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Wed 19 Nov 2008 03:15:06p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>>
>> > I have frozen raspberries. How do I make them into a pie for
>> > WhatshisnamehisnameisJamie's Thanksgiving Day pleasure? Thaw first?
>> > Measure, then thaw? Thaw, then measure? Drain? Cornstarch? Flour?
>> >
>> > If I don't like what I read, I'm buyin' Mrs. Smith's
>> > Blackberry-Raspberry pie.
>> >
>> > I await your counsel.

>> Don’t thaw or you’ll have mush. Use cornstarch.

> OK, how do I keep the cornstarch/sugar mixture from simply falling
> through the frozen berries? I think I tried it that way once with that
> problem.

Two way… Combine your cornstarch/sugar mixture (and spices if any) and mix
thoroughly. Combine that with the frozen berries in a large bowl and toss
gently with rubber spatulas until the dry mixture begins to adhere to the
slightly thawing berries, but before the berries thaw completely. Then
into the pie shell. The berries will hold their shape and will be nicely
coated with the dry mixture, so thickening will be uniform when the pie is
baked.

You can also thaw and mash a small portion of berries, add a ¼ cup of water
or so, and mix into the cornstarch/sugar mixture. Cook until the sugar has
completely dissolved and the mixture slightly thickened. Allow to cool til
just barely warm. Pile frozen berries into pastry, then pour over the
partially cooked mixture.

I prefer the first way. It’s easier and quicker, and it really does work.
I also do this with frozen blackberries.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 11(XI)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1wks 3hrs 9mins
Do you really believe the past arranges itself for our convenience
into those paltry little squares they print on calendars?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 19 Nov 2008 08:49:36p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>
> > In article 7>,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed 19 Nov 2008 03:15:06p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> >> Don’t thaw or you’ll have mush. Use cornstarch.

> > OK, how do I keep the cornstarch/sugar mixture from simply falling
> > through the frozen berries? I think I tried it that way once with that
> > problem.

> Two way… Combine your cornstarch/sugar mixture (and spices if any) and mix
> thoroughly. Combine that with the frozen berries in a large bowl and toss
> gently with rubber spatulas until the dry mixture begins to adhere to the
> slightly thawing berries, but before the berries thaw completely.

(snippage)
> I prefer the first way. It’s easier and quicker, and it really does work.
> I also do this with frozen blackberries.

Right. If I make from scratch, this is what I will do. Thank you.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - crustless pie; kraut and ribs are the
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" scritto nel messaggio > In article
> Right. If I make from scratch, this is what I will do. Thank you.

How can you suggest otherwise? I would change mothers to get raspberry pie!
I'm years from getting enough berries from mine to venture a pie and you
can't buy them frozen separately here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 19 Nov 2008 10:35:07p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Wed 19 Nov 2008 08:49:36p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

>> > OK, how do I keep the cornstarch/sugar mixture from simply falling
>> > through the frozen berries? I think I tried it that way once with
>> > that problem.

>> Two way… Combine your cornstarch/sugar mixture (and spices if any) and
>> mix thoroughly. Combine that with the frozen berries in a large bowl
>> and toss gently with rubber spatulas until the dry mixture begins to
>> adhere to the slightly thawing berries, but before the berries thaw
>> completely.

> (snippage)
>> I prefer the first way. It’s easier and quicker, and it really does
>> work. I also do this with frozen blackberries.

> Right. If I make from scratch, this is what I will do. Thank you.

You’re welcome!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
6dys 18hrs 44mins
A perversion of nature -- how exciting!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" scritto nel messaggio > In article
> > Right. If I make from scratch, this is what I will do. Thank you.

> How can you suggest otherwise? I would change mothers to get raspberry pie!
> I'm years from getting enough berries from mine to venture a pie and you
> can't buy them frozen separately here.

I can easily suggest otherwise. :-) He prefers junk food and has
sneered at more than one food I've prepared. Mostly, though, I'm still
spooked from a bad experience with a raspberry pie and don't want to
embarrass myself with another bad one. I have a reputation to protect.
:-) OTOH, it's a matter of pride that I CAN DO THIS, DAMMIT!! So I
might.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - crustless pie; kraut and ribs are the
latest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 4:30*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Wed 19 Nov 2008 03:15:06p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>
> > I have frozen raspberries. *How do I make them into a pie for
> > WhatshisnamehisnameisJamie's Thanksgiving Day pleasure? *Thaw first? *
> > Measure, then thaw? *Thaw, then measure? *Drain? *Cornstarch? *Flour?

> > If I don't like what I read, I'm buyin' Mrs. Smith's
> > Blackberry-Raspberry pie. *

> > I await your counsel.

> Don’t thaw or you’ll have mush. *Use cornstarch.
>
> --
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Wayne Boatwright * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * * * * * * * (correct the spelling of "geemail" to reply) * * * * * * *
> ************************************************** **********************
> Date: * * * * * * Wednesday, 11(XI)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
> ************************************************** **********************
> * * * * * * * * * Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day * * * * * * * * *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * *1wks 6hrs 30mins * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> ************************************************** **********************
> * We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients, but we can't scoff *
> * * at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me. * *
> ************************************************** **********************

Wayne, have you ever tried tapioca in pies as a thickener?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 20 Nov 2008 09:30:53a, merryb told us...

> On Nov 19, 4:30*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>> On Wed 19 Nov 2008 03:15:06p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>>
>> > I have frozen raspberries. *How do I make them into a pie for
>> > WhatshisnamehisnameisJamie's Thanksgiving Day pleasure? *Thaw first?

> *
>> > Measure, then thaw? *Thaw, then measure? *Drain? *Cornstarch? *

> Flour?
>>
>> > If I don't like what I read, I'm buyin' Mrs. Smith's
>> > Blackberry-Raspberry pie. *

>> > I await your counsel.

>> Don’t thaw or you’ll have mush. *Use cornstarch.
>>
>> --
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Wayne Boatwright

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>> * * * * * * * (correct the spelling of "geemail" to reply)

> * * * * * * *
>> ************************************************** **********************
>> Date: * * * * * * Wednesday, 11(XI)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
>> ************************************************** **********************
>> * * * * * * * * * Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day

> * * * * * * * * *
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * *1wks 6hrs 30mins

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>> ************************************************** **********************
>> * We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients, but we can't scoff

> *
>> * * at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.

> * *
>> ************************************************** **********************

> Wayne, have you ever tried tapioca in pies as a thickener?

Yes, I often use it, but tapioca needs to be “heavily moistened” or soaked
in some liquid part of the filling to soften before baking. It works great
in cherry pies because of the juice. It could be used in raspberry pie of
some of the berries were mashed to release the juice before hand. Usually
about 15 minutes of letting the tapioca/sugar mixture stand with the juices
works best.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
6dys 13hrs 54mins
A motion to adjourn is always in order.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
5.247:

> On Wed 19 Nov 2008 10:35:07p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>
>> In article 0>,
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed 19 Nov 2008 08:49:36p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

>>> Two way… Combine your cornstarch/sugar mixture (and spices if any)

and
>>> mix thoroughly. Combine that with the frozen berries in a large bowl
>>> and toss gently with rubber spatulas until the dry mixture begins to
>>> adhere to the slightly thawing berries, but before the berries thaw
>>> completely.

>> (snippage)
>>> I prefer the first way. It’s easier and quicker, and it really does
>>> work. I also do this with frozen blackberries.

>> Right. If I make from scratch, this is what I will do. Thank you.
>>

> You’re welcome!

when I do anything like that I devide up the berries some get cooked with
the thickener some stay fresh. then I combine them. About 1/3 get cooked.
Instant tapicoa works well.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> when I do anything like that I devide up the berries some get cooked with
> the thickener some stay fresh. then I combine them. About 1/3 get cooked.
> Instant tapicoa works well.

Is this a two-crust pie that you then bake?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - crustless pie; kraut and ribs are the
latest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:15:06 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>WhatshisnamehisnameisJamie

I've come to the conclusion that's not an uncommon chain of thought.
I have the same problem recalling the name of my son's fiance who has
been around for 5 years.... and is someone I actually like a lot.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 20 Nov 2008 09:45:41p, sf told us...

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:15:06 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>WhatshisnamehisnameisJamie

> I've come to the conclusion that's not an uncommon chain of thought.
> I have the same problem recalling the name of my son's fiance who has
> been around for 5 years.... and is someone I actually like a lot.

It usually takes me 3 times of associating someone’s name when it’s someone
I like. I rarely ever remember someone’s name I don’t like.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
6dys 2hrs 12mins
The best teddy bears are the live kind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> when I do anything like that I devide up the berries some get cooked
>> with the thickener some stay fresh. then I combine them. About 1/3
>> get cooked. Instant tapicoa works well.

> Is this a two-crust pie that you then bake?

No, well some times lattice...but not a full covering pastry ever. Seems
silly (to me) to cover the pie as it looks so pretty. Maybe a little
whipped cream when served (if eaten room temp).

If it seems not likely; may I suggest this blueberry tart recipe?

Frozen Wild Blueberries can be purchased in the Safeway up here.

Forget the sour cream and go with a good brand or homemade Vanilla Ice
Cream.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

BlueBerry Tart

desserts, pies

3/4 cup pecan peices
3/4 cup Sugar
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 lb frozen unsweetened blueberries; wild variety prefered
1 9 inch frozen/fresh pie shell
1 cup sour cream

preheat oven to 400F

Place pecans, sugar, flour in the bowl of a food processor and process
till powdered. Combine in a bowl the powder with the frozen blueberries
(mix well). Pour into pie Crust.

Place tart on a foil lined cookie sheet (prevents spilly clean ups). Bake
for 50-60 minutes, until the pie crust is lightly browned on top. Cool for
at least 1 hour.

To serve cut into wedges and garnish with sour cream.

Notes: "The Short-Cut Cook" by Jacque Pepin page 247

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I've come to the conclusion that's not an uncommon chain of thought.
> I have the same problem recalling the name of my son's fiance who has
> been around for 5 years.... and is someone I actually like a lot.

Give her a nickname--you won't have as much trouble remembering that.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:35:59 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "Giusi" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" scritto nel messaggio > In article
>>> Right. If I make from scratch, this is what I will do. Thank you.

>> How can you suggest otherwise? I would change mothers to get raspberry pie!
>> I'm years from getting enough berries from mine to venture a pie and you
>> can't buy them frozen separately here.

> I can easily suggest otherwise. :-) He prefers junk food and has
> sneered at more than one food I've prepared. Mostly, though, I'm still
> spooked from a bad experience with a raspberry pie and don't want to
> embarrass myself with another bad one. I have a reputation to protect.
> :-) OTOH, it's a matter of pride that I CAN DO THIS, DAMMIT!! So I
> might.

i have faith in your ability, barb. you've routinely conquered fruits in
the past.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> I've come to the conclusion that's not an uncommon chain of thought.
>> I have the same problem recalling the name of my son's fiance who has
>> been around for 5 years.... and is someone I actually like a lot.
>>

> Give her a nickname--you won't have as much trouble remembering that.

Good idea. I remember the father of a friend of mine always seemed like
such a nice guy. He had a very friendly manner and always called me
Buddy. It was a while before I clued in that he called me Buddy because
he didn't remember my name.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Gloria P wrote:
> >
> > Give her a nickname--you won't have as much trouble remembering that.

> Good idea. I remember the father of a friend of mine always seemed like
> such a nice guy. He had a very friendly manner and always called me
> Buddy. It was a while before I clued in that he called me Buddy because
> he didn't remember my name.

Good reason to always call your girlfriends "honey",
so you don't take the risk of using the wrong
girlfriend's name.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > I've come to the conclusion that's not an uncommon chain of thought.
> > I have the same problem recalling the name of my son's fiance who has
> > been around for 5 years.... and is someone I actually like a lot.
> >

> Give her a nickname--you won't have as much trouble remembering that.
>
> gloria p

Give HIM a nickname. ;-) I thought California outlawed that stuff. Or
is about to.

fiancé
noun
a man who is engaged to be married :

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - chicken cacciatore-like
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> Gloria P > wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:
> > >
> > > I've come to the conclusion that's not an uncommon chain of thought.
> > > I have the same problem recalling the name of my son's fiance who has
> > > been around for 5 years.... and is someone I actually like a lot.
> > >

> > Give her a nickname--you won't have as much trouble remembering that.
> >
> > gloria p

> Give HIM a nickname. ;-) I thought California outlawed that stuff. Or
> is about to.
>
> fiancé
> noun
> a man who is engaged to be married :

Well, you learn something new every day! And I found this, too:

Dictionary

fiancée
noun
a woman who is engaged to be married : he went back to the valley to
marry his fiancée.

They appear to be pronounced identically, if I read my dictionary
correctly.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 21 Nov 2008 10:22:28p, Dan Abel told us...

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Gloria P > wrote:

has

>> > Give her a nickname--you won't have as much trouble remembering that.
>> >
>> > gloria p

>> Give HIM a nickname. ;-) I thought California outlawed that stuff. Or
>> is about to.
>>
>> fiancé
>> noun
>> a man who is engaged to be married :

> Well, you learn something new every day! And I found this, too:
>

> Dictionary
>
> fiancée
> noun
> a woman who is engaged to be married : he went back to the valley to
> marry his fiancée.
>

> They appear to be pronounced identically, if I read my dictionary
> correctly.

You did. Both male and female can be a fiancé.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 11(XI)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
5dys 1hrs 32mins
That which does not kill me had better be able to run away damn fast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Fri 21 Nov 2008 10:22:28p, Dan Abel told us...
>
> > In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> >> Give HIM a nickname. ;-) I thought California outlawed that stuff. Or
> >> is about to.
> >>
> >> fiancé
> >> noun
> >> a man who is engaged to be married :

> > Well, you learn something new every day! And I found this, too:
> >

> > Dictionary
> >
> > fiancée
> > noun
> > a woman who is engaged to be married : he went back to the valley to
> > marry his fiancée.
> >

> > They appear to be pronounced identically, if I read my dictionary
> > correctly.
> >

> You did. Both male and female can be a fiancé.

That part is not so clear. I should have been clearer, if you look
carefully you'll see that even though they may be pronounced the same,
they are spelled differently. How's that for confusing?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 21 Nov 2008 11:19:11p, Dan Abel told us...

> In article 7>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Fri 21 Nov 2008 10:22:28p, Dan Abel told us...

>> > Well, you learn something new every day! And I found this, too:
>> >

>> > Dictionary
>> >
>> > fiancée
>> > noun
>> > a woman who is engaged to be married : he went back to the valley to
>> > marry his fiancée.
>> >

>> > They appear to be pronounced identically, if I read my dictionary
>> > correctly.
>> >

>> You did. Both male and female can be a fiancé.

> That part is not so clear. I should have been clearer, if you look
> carefully you'll see that even though they may be pronounced the same,
> they are spelled differently. How's that for confusing?

Spelled differently because French nouns have a masculine or feminine
gender. Masculine is fiancé. Feminine is fiancée.

FWIW, German has three genders, masculine, feminine, and neuter.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 11(XI)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
5dys 12mins
OPERATOR! Trace this call and tell me where I am.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Spelled differently because French nouns have a masculine or feminine
> gender. Masculine is fiancé. Feminine is fiancée.
>
> FWIW, German has three genders, masculine, feminine, and neuter.

Neutral, ya goose! Not neuter(ed)!! LOL
thanks for the chuckle
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Gloria P > wrote:

> > > Give her a nickname--you won't have as much trouble remembering that.
> > >
> > > gloria p

> > Give HIM a nickname. ;-) I thought California outlawed that stuff. Or
> > is about to.
> >
> > fiancé
> > noun
> > a man who is engaged to be married :

> Well, you learn something new every day! And I found this, too:
>

> Dictionary
>
> fiancée
> noun
> a woman who is engaged to be married : he went back to the valley to
> marry his fiancée.
>

> They appear to be pronounced identically, if I read my dictionary
> correctly.

You are correct, Sir! Both men and women can be affianced.
Sam' t'ing spelling with protégé and protégée.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - chicken cacciatore-like
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > Spelled differently because French nouns have a masculine or feminine
> > gender. Masculine is fiancé. Feminine is fiancée.
> >
> > FWIW, German has three genders, masculine, feminine, and neuter.
> >

> Neutral, ya goose! Not neuter(ed)!! LOL
> thanks for the chuckle

Nope, it's neuter. Not neuterED. '-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - chicken cacciatore-like
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 22 Nov 2008 03:08:19a, Goomba told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Spelled differently because French nouns have a masculine or feminine
>> gender. Masculine is fiancé. Feminine is fiancée.
>>
>> FWIW, German has three genders, masculine, feminine, and neuter.
>>

> Neutral, ya goose! Not neuter(ed)!! LOL
> thanks for the chuckle

No, it is *neuter*. It was when I studied German and it still is.

In German all of the three genders of the Proto-Indo-European language have
survived. The three genders are masculine (männlich/Maskulinum), feminine
(weiblich/Femininum) and neuter (sächlich/Neutrum).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_grammar

At least you had a chuckle.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 11(XI)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
4dys 16hrs 26mins
I don't want it now, I want it RIGHT now!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> In German all of the three genders of the Proto-Indo-European
> language have survived. The three genders are masculine
> (männlich/Maskulinum), feminine (weiblich/Femininum) and neuter
> (sächlich/Neutrum).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_grammar
>
> At least you had a chuckle.

I went to see a German film once, but I left before the verb!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 22 Nov 2008 08:05:19a, Ophelia told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> In German all of the three genders of the Proto-Indo-European
>> language have survived. The three genders are masculine
>> (männlich/Maskulinum), feminine (weiblich/Femininum) and neuter
>> (sächlich/Neutrum).
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_grammar
>>
>> At least you had a chuckle.

> I went to see a German film once, but I left before the verb!

Damn, woman, you missed the best part!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 11(XI)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
4dys 15hrs 36mins
I am NOT stubborn. I am merely correct.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 22 Nov 2008 08:05:19a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> In German all of the three genders of the Proto-Indo-European
>>> language have survived. The three genders are masculine
>>> (männlich/Maskulinum), feminine (weiblich/Femininum) and neuter
>>> (sächlich/Neutrum).
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_grammar
>>>
>>> At least you had a chuckle.

>> I went to see a German film once, but I left before the verb!

> Damn, woman, you missed the best part!

<G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Gloria P > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> I've come to the conclusion that's not an uncommon chain of thought.
>>> I have the same problem recalling the name of my son's fiance who has
>>> been around for 5 years.... and is someone I actually like a lot.
>>>

>> Give her a nickname--you won't have as much trouble remembering that.
>>
>> gloria p

> Give HIM a nickname. ;-) I thought California outlawed that stuff. Or
> is about to.
>
> fiancé
> noun
> a man who is engaged to be married :

Son's fiance. Ya gotta go with the context, B.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > Spelled differently because French nouns have a masculine or feminine
> > gender. Masculine is fiancé. Feminine is fiancée.
> >
> > FWIW, German has three genders, masculine, feminine, and neuter.
> >

> Neutral, ya goose! Not neuter(ed)!! LOL
> thanks for the chuckle

Thanks for the chuckle! It's "neuter". Interestingly enough, "girl"
(das Mädchen) and young woman (das Fräulein) are neuter. Hands off,
guys!

Neuter doesn't necessarily mean that something has been removed, just
that it isn't there. Neutered is a different story.

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:51:26 -0700, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Gloria P > wrote:

>>> Give her a nickname--you won't have as much trouble remembering that.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Give HIM a nickname. ;-) I thought California outlawed that stuff. Or
>> is about to.
>>
>> fiancé
>> noun
>> a man who is engaged to be married :
>>

>Son's fiance. Ya gotta go with the context, B.

OK, I left off an e. I only do restaurant french and I'm pretty bad
at that too.

fiancée
Function: noun
Etymology: French, feminine of fiancé
Date: 1835

: a woman engaged to be married

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 22 Nov 2008 11:47:00a, sf told us...

> OK, I left off an e. I only do restaurant french and I'm pretty bad
> at that too.
>
> fiancée
> Function: noun
> Etymology: French, feminine of fiancé
> Date: 1835

I would venture to say that most people in the US don’t know the difference.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 11(XI)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
4dys 12hrs 3mins
Incompetents often hire able assistants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 22 Nov 2008 11:47:00a, sf told us...
>
>> OK, I left off an e. I only do restaurant french and I'm pretty bad
>> at that too.
>>
>> fiancée
>> Function: noun
>> Etymology: French, feminine of fiancé
>> Date: 1835
>>

> I would venture to say that most people in the US don’t know the difference.

Particularly those who have never studied French. I wouldn't hold it
against them.

There are half a dozen other popular languages studied in high school
and more in college. (Right now I'd say Spanish, German, French,
Italian, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, are fairly common.) Somehow the
rest of the world holds it against us if we aren't fluent in all of them.

We have a young Swedish friend who is fluent in Swedish, German, French,
Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and English. I can't imagine keeping them
all straight but he's in international banking and gets lots of practice.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 22 Nov 2008 02:11:32p, Gloria P told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 22 Nov 2008 11:47:00a, sf told us...
>>
>>> OK, I left off an e. I only do restaurant french and I'm pretty bad
>>> at that too.
>>>
>>> fiancée
>>> Function: noun
>>> Etymology: French, feminine of fiancé
>>> Date: 1835
>>>

>> I would venture to say that most people in the US don’t know the
>> difference.
>>

> Particularly those who have never studied French. I wouldn't hold it
> against them.
>
> There are half a dozen other popular languages studied in high school
> and more in college. (Right now I'd say Spanish, German, French,
> Italian, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, are fairly common.) Somehow the
> rest of the world holds it against us if we aren't fluent in all of
> them.
>
> We have a young Swedish friend who is fluent in Swedish, German, French,
> Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and English. I can't imagine keeping them
> all straight but he's in international banking and gets lots of
> practice.
>
> gloria p

Good grief! When I was in school only Latin, Spanish, German, and French
were offered. Two years of one foreign language was a requirement. I took
both German and French, in junior and senior high school and in college.
Alas, while I can still read comprehensively, I can no longer converse in
either.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 11(XI)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
4dys 9hrs 46mins
Unwritten Laws can not be erased

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:01:47 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>In article >,
> hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> when I do anything like that I devide up the berries some get cooked with
>> the thickener some stay fresh. then I combine them. About 1/3 get cooked.
>> Instant tapicoa works well.

>Is this a two-crust pie that you then bake?

Barb, I've used James Beard's berry pie recipe for years and years
with no problems:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Berry Pies

desserts

4 cups berries
1 cup sugar; (+/-)
6 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
or
tablespoon 3

Pick over berries and rinse well, drain. Combine with the sugar,
flour, salt and lemon juice. Turn into a pastry-lined pie pan. Dot
with butter. Trim the pastry edge and moisten it. Cover with the top
pastry, trim the edge, crimp the top and bottom edges together and cut
vents for steam. Bake at 450F 15 mins., reduce heat to 350° and bake
25 - 30 mins. longer. Cool on a rack.

Contributor: James Beard

Yield: 8 servings

It's also a good idea to put a cookie sheet under the pie as it bakes
to catch the drips.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"

-- W.C. Fields

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> No, it is *neuter*. It was when I studied German and it still is.
>
> In German all of the three genders of the Proto-Indo-European language have
> survived. The three genders are masculine (männlich/Maskulinum), feminine
> (weiblich/Femininum) and neuter (sächlich/Neutrum).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_grammar
>
> At least you had a chuckle.

I stand corrected then! I could have sworn I remembered "neutral" (and
just joked about the neutered part)

Impressively clueless Goobal ignorance dh@. Vegan 2 21-06-2013 04:24 PM
Clueless BASTARD Mark Robert Thorson PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 1 05-08-2008 05:24 PM
Raspberry Omelette Souffle With Lemon Curd And Raspberry Coulis Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 11-05-2006 03:46 AM
clueless about wine clueless Wine 1 06-04-2006 04:37 PM
still clueless after all these years [Fwd: Berries] usual suspect Vegan 2 05-03-2004 05:27 PM