Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is there a difference?

Hello All!

Once in a while I get rather sceptical about recipes that specify
particular components.

A recent one has been Kosher salt that my own investigations suggest has
no *discernible* difference in taste from regular salt. Another one
surfaced recently with a recipe that specified the pale green cubanelle
peppers. I also tried it with ordinary green peppers and the only
difference was that the cubanelles cost three time as much.

There has also been an argument about pizza dough. The "what the
hell"/stir it up/ no sugar, method seems to work pretty well and the
only difference is that the dough could be a liitle less damp and need
more salt (I've tried it.)
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> Once in a while I get rather sceptical about recipes that specify
> particular components.
>
> A recent one has been Kosher salt that my own investigations suggest has
> no *discernible* difference in taste from regular salt. Another one
> surfaced recently with a recipe that specified the pale green cubanelle
> peppers. I also tried it with ordinary green peppers and the only
> difference was that the cubanelles cost three time as much.
>
> There has also been an argument about pizza dough. The "what the
> hell"/stir it up/ no sugar, method seems to work pretty well and the only
> difference is that the dough could be a liitle less damp and need more
> salt (I've tried it.)
> --
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

NaCl is NaCl and the parts per million will determine the saltiness of any
recipe. IMHO and only advantage to using a larger grain of salt is the
larger grains handle and can be spread more evenly.

Now if you want the dispersion to be more concentrated under particular
circumstances like the salt grains on a pretzel that's a different story.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:11:11 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>Hello All!
>
>Once in a while I get rather sceptical about recipes that specify
>particular components.

<snip>

>There has also been an argument about pizza dough. The "what the
>hell"/stir it up/ no sugar, method seems to work pretty well and the
>only difference is that the dough could be a liitle less damp and need
>more salt (I've tried it.)

The reason sugar is called for is to feed the yeast when it proofs. A
little flour in the water works just fine. Those little yeasties just
like to eat.

As far as salt goes - I forgot salt when I made pizza last week.
Everything turned out fine except I thought the crust was a little
flat tasting. Hubby was the one who asked about salt. It's
surprising how little is needed to perk up flavor!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> NaCl is NaCl and the parts per million will determine the saltiness of
> any recipe. IMHO and only advantage to using a larger grain of salt is
> the larger grains handle and can be spread more evenly.

One of my sisters in law was a health food fanatic. She always used to
claim that sea salt was better because it was saltier because it came
from the ocean. The salt we get here comes from salt mines, which were
deposits from and ocean that was here millions of hears ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:35:09 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Except for the size of the grain, "salt is salt is salt"...

Except for those salts that have additives to keep it from clumping.
Which excludes Kosher salt: it has no additives, and yes, the
difference can be tasted.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
> >

> > NaCl is NaCl and the parts per million will determine the saltiness of
> > any recipe. IMHO and only advantage to using a larger grain of salt is
> > the larger grains handle and can be spread more evenly.
> >

> One of my sisters in law was a health food fanatic. She always used to
> claim that sea salt was better because it was saltier because it came
> from the ocean. The salt we get here comes from salt mines, which were
> deposits from and ocean that was here millions of hears ago.

Except for the size of the grain, "salt is salt is salt"...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
m...

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> Dimitri wrote:
>> >

>> > NaCl is NaCl and the parts per million will determine the saltiness of
>> > any recipe. IMHO and only advantage to using a larger grain of salt is
>> > the larger grains handle and can be spread more evenly.
>> >

>> One of my sisters in law was a health food fanatic. She always used to
>> claim that sea salt was better because it was saltier because it came
>> from the ocean. The salt we get here comes from salt mines, which were
>> deposits from and ocean that was here millions of hears ago.

> Except for the size of the grain, "salt is salt is salt"...
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Tell your sister to have the PURE SEA SALT analyzed.
If a whale ****ed near the inlet there will be whale **** in her sea salt.

Salt is SALT

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
> >

> > NaCl is NaCl and the parts per million will determine the saltiness
> > of any recipe. IMHO and only advantage to using a larger grain of
> > salt is the larger grains handle and can be spread more evenly.
> >

> One of my sisters in law was a health food fanatic. She always used
> to claim that sea salt was better because it was saltier because it
> came from the ocean. The salt we get here comes from salt mines,
> which were deposits from and ocean that was here millions of hears
> ago.

But hers wasn't past its use-by date

--
Dan Goodman
..sig under reconstruction
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:35:09 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>

>>Except for the size of the grain, "salt is salt is salt"...

> Except for those salts that have additives to keep it from clumping.
> Which excludes Kosher salt: it has no additives, and yes, the
> difference can be tasted.

What about Iodine?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message

> Except for those salts that have additives to keep it from clumping.
> Which excludes Kosher salt: it has no additives, and yes, the
> difference can be tasted.
>
> Christine

Read the ingredients on the Morton kosher salt box. Diamond is only salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:54:55 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>Read the ingredients on the Morton kosher salt box. Diamond is only salt.

Yeah, I know. I have made the mistake of getting the Mortons when I
couldn't find Diamond.

When I was in California this spring, I shopped at Smart and Final,
and got about 4 big boxes of Diamond. It is now the only Kosher salt
I buy.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message

>> Except for those salts that have additives to keep it from clumping.
>> Which excludes Kosher salt: it has no additives, and yes, the
>> difference can be tasted.
>>

> What about Iodine?

Table salt usually has iodine added, but kosher salt does not. When iodine
is added, I can taste a difference on some foods, but not when used in
strong flavored sauces, such as a well seasoned tomato sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

>> Except for the size of the grain, "salt is salt is salt"...
>>

>> --
>> Best
>> Greg

> Tell your sister to have the PURE SEA SALT analyzed.
> If a whale ****ed near the inlet there will be whale **** in her sea salt.
>
> Salt is SALT
>
> Dimitri

Pure salt is pure salt. The exception is the salt with additives or other
minerals (as opposed to pure salt) that add taste to the salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 22:01:44 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

>"Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> Except for the size of the grain, "salt is salt is salt"...
>>>

>>> --
>>> Best
>>> Greg

>> Tell your sister to have the PURE SEA SALT analyzed.
>> If a whale ****ed near the inlet there will be whale **** in her sea salt.
>>
>> Salt is SALT
>>
>> Dimitri

>Pure salt is pure salt. The exception is the salt with additives or other
>minerals (as opposed to pure salt) that add taste to the salt.

Howdy,

As has been mentioned all salt started as sea salt...

Given the choice, I'll take the mined version, that is, "sea
salt" without the addition of millennia of pollutants.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>> Except for those salts that have additives to keep it from clumping.
>>> Which excludes Kosher salt: it has no additives, and yes, the
>>> difference can be tasted.
>>>

>> What about Iodine?

> Table salt usually has iodine added, but kosher salt does not. When iodine
> is added, I can taste a difference on some foods, but not when used in
> strong flavored sauces, such as a well seasoned tomato sauce.

In Canada "table salt" is iodized. When my health food fanatic sister
in law was on her sea salt kick my niece developed a goiter. She needed
iodine. That was the reason they started adding iodine to salt in the
first place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> "Gregory Morrow" wrote:
> >Except for the size of the grain, "salt is salt

> is salt"...
>
> Except for those salts that have additives to keep it from clumping.
> Which excludes Kosher salt: it has no additives, and yes, the
> difference can be tasted.

Some brands of "kosher salt" (all salt is kosher) do contain anti-
clumping compounds. The taste difference is attributed to that the
larger crystals linger longer on the tongue before they dissolve,
therefore the perceived taste is saltier.

The difference between table salt and sea salt is that table salt is
sea salt that has been purified (mined salt is sea salt from long ago
dried up seas). Sea salt contains whatever minerals/metals/organics
that were present in the particular body of water from where it was
taken. No one should use sea salt regularly without consulting their
phycision, there may be adverse interactions with certain drugs
(prescription and OTC), and pregnant women would typically be advised
not to partake at all. Sea salt is actually dirty filthy salt
(contains raw sewerage. bits of used condoms, heavy metals, etc. -
truth), why it costs so much more is idiotic... why people buy it is
even dumber... but then the majority are dumb and prefer to eat shit,
brined shit though it may be... anyone who prefers sea salt is the
epitome of a TIADer, who can make good money renting themselves out as
human bidets, licking out filthy dirty sweaty crotches.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:33:24 -0700, Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:35:09 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>

>>Except for the size of the grain, "salt is salt is salt"...

> Except for those salts that have additives to keep it from clumping.
> Which excludes Kosher salt: it has no additives, and yes, the
> difference can be tasted.
>
> Christine

my box of morton's kosher salt lists 'yellow prussiate of soda (anticaking
agent).' it's marked with the 'u' in a circle, so that doesn't
de-kosherize it.

i was surprised when i looked yesterday, because like you, i thought it was
salt only. no iodine, though

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:46:46 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>>
>>> What about Iodine?

>> Table salt usually has iodine added, but kosher salt does not. When iodine
>> is added, I can taste a difference on some foods, but not when used in
>> strong flavored sauces, such as a well seasoned tomato sauce.

> In Canada "table salt" is iodized. When my health food fanatic sister
> in law was on her sea salt kick my niece developed a goiter.

forgive me, but that made me laugh.

>She needed
> iodine. That was the reason they started adding iodine to salt in the
> first place.

forgive me, but that made me laugh.

yes, goiter was endemic in some areas of the u.s. before iodine was added:

There are numerous reports in the literature that demonstrate effectiveness
of iodized salt in controlling endemic goiter. Iodization of salt is known
to be a safe, efficient, and preferred prophylactic method for endemic
goiter in the U.S. (Ref. 1). In the early 1900's, goiter was prevalent in
those states bordering the Great Lakes and in the northwestern region of
the United States. Voluntary fortification of salt with iodine was
introduced in 1924 and resulted in a virtual elimination of endemic goiter
in the U.S. Some notable examples are as follows:

<http://www.saltinstitute.org/idd.html>

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

>>> Table salt usually has iodine added, but kosher salt does not. When iodine
>>> is added, I can taste a difference on some foods, but not when used in
>>> strong flavored sauces, such as a well seasoned tomato sauce.

>> In Canada "table salt" is iodized. When my health food fanatic sister
>> in law was on her sea salt kick my niece developed a goiter.

> forgive me, but that made me laugh.
>
>> She needed
>> iodine. That was the reason they started adding iodine to salt in the
>> first place.

> forgive me, but that made me laugh.

I have to admit that it allowed me a bit of a chuckle at her self
righteous and fanatical attitude about her health foods. Here she was
thinking that her so-called health foods were so much healthier for her
and her family and her daughter ends up with a health problem that had
been remedied decades earlier by adding a little iodine to table salt,
just enough to provide a supplement of a basic mineral requirement. Add
that to her much expressed opinion that sea salt is saltier than mined
salt, apparently unaware that mined salt comes from dried up ocean
beds,which I guess she assumed was a different NaCL that the stuff in
the oceans these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:33:24 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:35:09 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:
>

>>Except for the size of the grain, "salt is salt is salt"...

>Except for those salts that have additives to keep it from clumping.
>Which excludes Kosher salt: it has no additives, and yes, the
>difference can be tasted.

I can't tell the difference! Larger grains taste saltier (and they
should) because they're bigger - so there's more salt to taste.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Except for those salts that have additives to keep it from clumping.
>>> Which excludes Kosher salt: it has no additives, and yes, the
>>> difference can be tasted.

>> What about Iodine?

>Table salt usually has iodine added, but kosher salt does not. When iodine
>is added, I can taste a difference on some foods, [...]

Bullshit.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:51:34 -0600:

>> In article >, "Ed
>> Pawlowski" > wrote:

> >> Table salt usually has iodine added, but kosher salt does
> >> not. When iodine is added, I can taste a difference on
> >> some foods, [...]

>> Bullshit.
>>
>> Cheers, Phred.

> Phred, some people are sensitive to the taste of Iodine.

> It's one reason I prefer farmed shrimp to gulf coast wild
> shrimp. Not only can I taste the Iodine, I can smell it!

> Same in Iodized salt.

I suppose it depends on whether you dislike the smell of iodine. The
taste of really fresh sea fish is a bit reminiscent of iodine.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:51:34 -0600:

> >> Bullshit.
> >>
> >> Cheers, Phred.

> > Phred, some people are sensitive to the taste of Iodine.

> > It's one reason I prefer farmed shrimp to gulf coast wild
> > shrimp. Not only can I taste the Iodine, I can smell it!

> > Same in Iodized salt.

> I suppose it depends on whether you dislike the smell of iodine. The
> taste of really fresh sea fish is a bit reminiscent of iodine.

But not generally overwhelming.

Texas Gulf Coast shrimp is REALLY strong with the iodine smell!
So is some iodized salt.
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:33:24 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:35:09 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Except for the size of the grain, "salt is salt is salt"...

>> Except for those salts that have additives to keep it from clumping.
>> Which excludes Kosher salt: it has no additives, and yes, the
>> difference can be tasted.
>>

> I can't tell the difference! Larger grains taste saltier (and they
> should) because they're bigger - so there's more salt to taste.

You only taste what is contacting the tongue, and small grains have more
surface are in relation to their size, so you get more salt taste from
fine grains, which can change it from a nice salty taste to too much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:21:35 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>You only taste what is contacting the tongue, and small grains have more
> surface are in relation to their size, so you get more salt taste from
>fine grains, which can change it from a nice salty taste to too much.

For some strange reason, I experience the opposite of what you stated.

Mae West

WOW - What a difference! Tim[_12_] Barbecue 21 05-07-2009 04:41 AM
Can you tell the difference? Frank103 Baking 30 06-09-2006 10:37 PM
Wow, what a difference! TFM® Barbecue 9 04-05-2006 04:06 AM
What's the difference? Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 20 22-05-2005 06:21 PM
Ph and TA difference danno Winemaking 5 23-10-2003 03:39 AM