Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wonderful creme brulee

We were in New England last week for a wedding and a quick visit to some
relatives whom we hadn't seen in years.

Although I didn't get the classic lobster I craved (They seem to
disappear after Labor Day on many menus.) I did have some very good food
including luscious lobster rolls and seafood mixtures including the
elusive lobster. Only one meal was a clunker, the aforementioned ground
beef shepherd's pie.

By far the most delicious surprise was in Brattleboro, VT at a
restaurant called, I think, Riverview. I ordered the Maple Creme Brulee
for dessert and it was the best c.b. I have ever had, bar none.

The custard was very creamy and mild but the sugar topping was pure
maple sugar (very obviously NOT brown sugar) and the combination of
flavors was incredible. I think I am glad I don't know where to buy
maple sugar, because I could literally OD on this dessert.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> The custard was very creamy and mild but the sugar topping was pure
> maple sugar (very obviously NOT brown sugar) and the combination of
> flavors was incredible. I think I am glad I don't know where to buy
> maple sugar, because I could literally OD on this dessert.
>
> gloria p

As a kid I took a school trip to Canada once. We stopped somewhere up
there and they bought us something maple and it was like taffy in a
small cup with a wooden spoon. To die for!! To this day I wish I could
get a hold of some more. I can still taste it.
Creme Brulee is one of my favorite desserts also.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Gloria P wrote:
>
>> The custard was very creamy and mild but the sugar topping was pure
>> maple sugar (very obviously NOT brown sugar) and the combination of
>> flavors was incredible. I think I am glad I don't know where to buy
>> maple sugar, because I could literally OD on this dessert.
>>
>> gloria p

> As a kid I took a school trip to Canada once. We stopped somewhere up
> there and they bought us something maple and it was like taffy in a
> small cup with a wooden spoon. To die for!! To this day I wish I could
> get a hold of some more. I can still taste it.
> Creme Brulee is one of my favorite desserts also.

Was your treat perhaps maple cream? DH's aunt from Alaska used to send
us a jar of it every year when we were first married and it was like
lemon curd in texture. I think it was just maple syrup concentrated
much, much further.

I think I have seen it in the King Arthur catalog.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> We were in New England last week for a wedding and a quick visit to some
> relatives whom we hadn't seen in years.
>
> Although I didn't get the classic lobster I craved (They seem to disappear
> after Labor Day on many menus.) I did have some very good food including
> luscious lobster rolls and seafood mixtures including the elusive lobster.
> Only one meal was a clunker, the aforementioned ground beef shepherd's
> pie.
>
> By far the most delicious surprise was in Brattleboro, VT at a restaurant
> called, I think, Riverview. I ordered the Maple Creme Brulee for dessert
> and it was the best c.b. I have ever had, bar none.
>
> The custard was very creamy and mild but the sugar topping was pure
> maple sugar (very obviously NOT brown sugar) and the combination of
> flavors was incredible. I think I am glad I don't know where to buy maple
> sugar, because I could literally OD on this dessert.
>
> gloria p

I can't remember offhand if it's powered or granulated maple sugar
but I got some from Vermont Country Store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

>> As a kid I took a school trip to Canada once. We stopped somewhere up
>> there and they bought us something maple and it was like taffy in a
>> small cup with a wooden spoon. To die for!! To this day I wish I could
>> get a hold of some more. I can still taste it.
>> Creme Brulee is one of my favorite desserts also.

> Was your treat perhaps maple cream? DH's aunt from Alaska used to send
> us a jar of it every year when we were first married and it was like
> lemon curd in texture. I think it was just maple syrup concentrated
> much, much further.
>
> I think I have seen it in the King Arthur catalog.
>
> gloria p

Oh I wish I knew what it was! I just assumed it was maple straight out
of the tree or something? It was heavenly. Very sticky.
We also got maple sugar candy molded into maple leaf shapes which were a
granular sugar type confection.
I was barely 13 so just didn't pay attention to details...dammit!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Gloria P wrote:
>
>>> As a kid I took a school trip to Canada once. We stopped somewhere up
>>> there and they bought us something maple and it was like taffy in a
>>> small cup with a wooden spoon. To die for!! To this day I wish I
>>> could get a hold of some more. I can still taste it.
>>> Creme Brulee is one of my favorite desserts also.

>> Was your treat perhaps maple cream? DH's aunt from Alaska used to
>> send us a jar of it every year when we were first married and it was
>> like lemon curd in texture. I think it was just maple syrup
>> concentrated much, much further.
>>
>> I think I have seen it in the King Arthur catalog.
>>
>> gloria p

> Oh I wish I knew what it was! I just assumed it was maple straight out
> of the tree or something? It was heavenly. Very sticky.
> We also got maple sugar candy molded into maple leaf shapes which were a
> granular sugar type confection.
> I was barely 13 so just didn't pay attention to details...dammit!!

Are you thinking of maple butter. It is thick syrup that has been
whipped. We buy it occasionally a the maple farm down the road. It is
delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Goomba wrote:

>> Oh I wish I knew what it was! I just assumed it was maple straight out
>> of the tree or something? It was heavenly. Very sticky.
>> We also got maple sugar candy molded into maple leaf shapes which were
>> a granular sugar type confection.
>> I was barely 13 so just didn't pay attention to details...dammit!!

> Are you thinking of maple butter. It is thick syrup that has been
> whipped. We buy it occasionally a the maple farm down the road. It is
> delicious.

Possibly? Does it have the consistency of soft taffy? Wonderful stuff
and if this is what I had....you're a lucky man indeed!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

>> Are you thinking of maple butter. It is thick syrup that has been
>> whipped. We buy it occasionally a the maple farm down the road. It is
>> delicious.

> Possibly? Does it have the consistency of soft taffy? Wonderful stuff
> and if this is what I had....you're a lucky man indeed!

Not exactly, it is soft enough to spread. It is delicious on fresh baked
biscuits and muffins.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Have you ever tried maple syrup on snow?
Take some pure maple syrup and boil it until it gets almost to the hard
crack stage. Use a candy thermometer.

Go outside and scoop up a large bucket full of freshly fallen snow and
gently pour the cooked maple syrup over the snow. Then use a fork or a
popsicle stick to roll the candy up for eating.

The texture is like taffy, hardish, but gooey at the same time.

Every spring, in this neck of the woods, many of the maple sugar houses
serve this treat for their visitors.

Shaved ice can also be used, if you don't have any fresh snow.

I lived on the second floor and I remember my mother opening the window
to collect the new snow off the porch roof.

Denise

Creme Brulee Nancy Inman Recipes (moderated) 0 17-04-2008 03:16 AM
Ginger Creme Brulee [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 17-05-2006 08:02 AM
CREME BRULEE Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-03-2005 05:06 AM
Creme Brulee Question [email protected] General Cooking 0 19-01-2005 12:19 AM
Creme Brulee with Liquor Damaeus General Cooking 1 26-12-2004 10:04 PM