Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Refrigerating items with dairy or eggs

There's a discussion on another message board as to whether any
product made with dairy or eggs has to be kept refrigerated. Before
you say yes, ask yourself do you refrigerate things like candies,
cookies, cakes, or breads. Everyone else seems to think that if a
homemade product contains dairy or eggs, no matter what it is, it has
to be kept refrigerated. I seem to be the lone holdout who says it
depends on what the item is. For example, I don't refrigerate pumpkin
pie or pecan pie, even though they both contain eggs. I do, however,
refrigerate savory items like soups, quiches, and casseroles whether
they contain meat or not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 4:15*pm, " > wrote:
> There's a discussion on another message board as to whether any
> product made with dairy or eggs has to be kept refrigerated. *Before
> you say yes, ask yourself do you refrigerate things like candies,
> cookies, cakes, or breads. Everyone else seems to think that if a
> homemade product contains dairy or eggs, no matter what it is, it has
> to be kept refrigerated. *I seem to be the lone holdout who says it
> depends on what the item is. *For example, I don't refrigerate pumpkin
> pie or pecan pie, even though they both contain eggs. *I do, however,
> refrigerate savory items like soups, quiches, and casseroles whether
> they contain meat or not.

Actually, the amount of acid in a food helps keep it safe. That's why
a vinegar coleslaw on a buffet is safer than a creamy one. One of the
most dangerous things people do is to make "sun tea" by putting a jar
of water with tea bags in it in a sunny place and leaving it there for
hours. That just lets the temperature rise high enough to promote
bacteria growth, not high enough to kill the bacteria. They really
thrive in temperatures like full sun on a summer day.
Lynn in Fargo
at least that's what they taught in OSHA Food Safety classes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> Actually, the amount of acid in a food helps keep it safe. That's why
> a vinegar coleslaw on a buffet is safer than a creamy one. One of the
> most dangerous things people do is to make "sun tea" by putting a jar
> of water with tea bags in it in a sunny place and leaving it there for
> hours. That just lets the temperature rise high enough to promote
> bacteria growth, not high enough to kill the bacteria. They really
> thrive in temperatures like full sun on a summer day.
> Lynn in Fargo
> at least that's what they taught in OSHA Food Safety classes

I think it is important in your suntea example to mention that tea
leaves are natural elements grown in dirt. They also aren't processed in
any fashion that is meant to kill or inhibit bacteria growth so the
tepid water of sun tea allows any potentially pathogenic bacteria to
thrive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 10:59�am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> wrote:
> > There's a discussion on another message board as to whether any
> > product made with dairy or eggs has to be kept refrigerated. �Before
> > you say yes, ask yourself do you refrigerate things like candies,
> > cookies, cakes, or breads. Everyone else seems to think that if a
> > homemade product contains dairy or eggs, no matter what it is, it has
> > to be kept refrigerated. �I seem to be the lone holdout who says it
> > depends on what the item is. �For example, I don't refrigerate pumpkin
> > pie or pecan pie, even though they both contain eggs. �I do, however,
> > refrigerate savory items like soups, quiches, and casseroles whether
> > they contain meat or not.

> I always refrigerate custard-type pies, including pumpkin and
> pecan types.

In deciding whether to refrigerate each food item needs to be dealt
with individually... I've never seen pumpkin or pecan pie refrigerated
at retail stores, as are most all pies other than those heaped with
whipped cream and ice cream pies. The only reason I refrigerate pies
at home is because I much prefer pies cold (or hot) rather than at
room temperature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:13:28 -0700, Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> On Oct 31, 4:15Â*pm, " > wrote:
>> There's a discussion on another message board as to whether any product
>> made with dairy or eggs has to be kept refrigerated. Â*Before you say
>> yes, ask yourself do you refrigerate things like candies, cookies,
>> cakes, or breads. Everyone else seems to think that if a homemade
>> product contains dairy or eggs, no matter what it is, it has to be kept
>> refrigerated. Â*I seem to be the lone holdout who says it depends on
>> what the item is. Â*For example, I don't refrigerate pumpkin pie or
>> pecan pie, even though they both contain eggs. Â*I do, however,
>> refrigerate savory items like soups, quiches, and casseroles whether
>> they contain meat or not.

> Actually, the amount of acid in a food helps keep it safe. That's why a
> vinegar coleslaw on a buffet is safer than a creamy one. One of the
> most dangerous things people do is to make "sun tea" by putting a jar of
> water with tea bags in it in a sunny place and leaving it there for
> hours.

Eww. That sounds really uninviting...