Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lynn from Fargo Lynn from Fargo is offline

Default Refrigerating items with dairy or eggs

On Oct 31, 4:15*pm, " > wrote:
> There's a discussion on another message board as to whether any
> product made with dairy or eggs has to be kept refrigerated. *Before
> you say yes, ask yourself do you refrigerate things like candies,
> cookies, cakes, or breads. Everyone else seems to think that if a
> homemade product contains dairy or eggs, no matter what it is, it has
> to be kept refrigerated. *I seem to be the lone holdout who says it
> depends on what the item is. *For example, I don't refrigerate pumpkin
> pie or pecan pie, even though they both contain eggs. *I do, however,
> refrigerate savory items like soups, quiches, and casseroles whether
> they contain meat or not.

Actually, the amount of acid in a food helps keep it safe. That's why
a vinegar coleslaw on a buffet is safer than a creamy one. One of the
most dangerous things people do is to make "sun tea" by putting a jar
of water with tea bags in it in a sunny place and leaving it there for
hours. That just lets the temperature rise high enough to promote
bacteria growth, not high enough to kill the bacteria. They really
thrive in temperatures like full sun on a summer day.
Lynn in Fargo
at least that's what they taught in OSHA Food Safety classes