Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shopping a al Leonard Cohen

Today's list: tea and oranges.

Mustn't forget.

>>>>>>>>>>>-----------------------<<<<<<<<<<<

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

>>>>>>>>>>>-----------------------<<<<<<<<<<<

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith" > wrote in message
et...
> Today's list: tea and oranges.
>

> Mustn't forget.
>

>>>>>>>>>>>>-----------------------<<<<<<<<<<<

> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc
>
> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/
>
>>>>>>>>>>>>-----------------------<<<<<<<<<<<

I like "Tower of Song."

"Suzanne" is very evocative, but on the wrong day it can make a soul want to
off himself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Gill Smith" > wrote in message
> et...
>> Today's list: tea and oranges.
>>

>> Mustn't forget.

>> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc
>>
>> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

> I like "Tower of Song."
>
> "Suzanne" is very evocative, but on the wrong day it can make a soul want
> to off himself.

I have a love/hate relationship.

Something along the lines of 'I wish I didn't like some of his stuff'
because it means I have to keep re-evaluating the rest of it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith" > wrote in message
et...
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Gill Smith" > wrote in message
>> et...
>>> Today's list: tea and oranges.
>>>

>>> Mustn't forget.

>>> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc
>>>
>>> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

>> I like "Tower of Song."
>>
>> "Suzanne" is very evocative, but on the wrong day it can make a soul want
>> to off himself.

> I have a love/hate relationship.
>
> Something along the lines of 'I wish I didn't like some of his stuff'
> because it means I have to keep re-evaluating the rest of it.

> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc
>
> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Come to think of it, I don't recognise the title "Tower of Song".

So now I have to go along to iTunes and listen to a clip.

See what I mean!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith" > wrote

> Come to think of it, I don't recognise the title "Tower of Song".
>
> So now I have to go along to iTunes and listen to a clip.
>
> See what I mean!

<g> I do. Let me know what you think. I like when artists give a nod to the
changes aging brings. I find TOS really funny but at times, dark and very
sad. E.g. "I feel so close to all the things that we lost, we'll never have
to lose them again."

He has this way of twisting the knife.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Gill Smith" > wrote
>>
>> Come to think of it, I don't recognise the title "Tower of Song".
>>
>> So now I have to go along to iTunes and listen to a clip.
>>
>> See what I mean!
>>

> <g> I do. Let me know what you think. I like when artists give a nod to
> the changes aging brings. I find TOS really funny but at times, dark and
> very sad. E.g. "I feel so close to all the things that we lost, we'll
> never have to lose them again."
>
> He has this way of twisting the knife.

Hmm. Have to say I'm not overly fond of the music for that one.

I'm ABSOLUTELY music-first - it's a guy thing. Women tend to be
much more into lyrics.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith" > wrote in message
et...
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Gill Smith" > wrote
>>>
>>> Come to think of it, I don't recognise the title "Tower of Song".
>>>
>>> So now I have to go along to iTunes and listen to a clip.
>>>
>>> See what I mean!
>>>

>> <g> I do. Let me know what you think. I like when artists give a nod to
>> the changes aging brings. I find TOS really funny but at times, dark and
>> very sad. E.g. "I feel so close to all the things that we lost, we'll
>> never have to lose them again."
>>
>> He has this way of twisting the knife.

> Hmm. Have to say I'm not overly fond of the music for that one.
>
> I'm ABSOLUTELY music-first - it's a guy thing. Women tend to be
> much more into lyrics.

I think this is true. It is certainly true of me with regard to Tower of
Song. I have not even given the music a thought.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in
:

> I like "Tower of Song."
>
> "Suzanne" is very evocative, but on the wrong day it can make a soul
> want to off himself.

I prefer his middle and later stuff to the early stuff. Listened to it
much too much when it was originally released, sung both by him and Judy
Collins. There's only so much a man can take of tea and oranges...

From The Futu Closing Time, Democracy and Anthem. In fact I used a line
from Anthem as my sig a long time ago:

There is a crack in everything / That's how the light gets in

From Ten New Songs, In My Time of Being. The video was shot at Habitat in
Montréal, directed by Floria Sigismondi who has also done great work for
Sigur Rós and Björk, and the fabulous Red Flag video for Billy Talent, so
full of Eisenstein's best imagery from October (storming of the Winter
Palace, Lenin at Finland Station, complete with the wind of history).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7En9uIDdc50

--

“Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gill Smith wrote:

>> He has this way of twisting the knife.

> Hmm. Have to say I'm not overly fond of the music for that one.
>
> I'm ABSOLUTELY music-first - it's a guy thing. Women tend to be
> much more into lyrics.

That depends on the song. I generally listen more to the music than to
the lyrics, but once in a while I listen to a song that has such great
lyrics that they are compelling. You can't help but listen to them.
Most Leonard Cohen songs are like that and unlike the many who think he
cannot sing, I think he has a great voice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "Gill Smith" > wrote in message
> et...
> > Today's list: tea and oranges.
> >

> > Mustn't forget.

> > http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc
> >
> > http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

> I like "Tower of Song."
>
> "Suzanne" is very evocative, but on the wrong day it can make a soul want

> off himself.

Don't you mean "Shopping at Stew Leonard's"...???

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...
> Gill Smith wrote:
>>

>>> He has this way of twisting the knife.

>> Hmm. Have to say I'm not overly fond of the music for that one.
>>
>> I'm ABSOLUTELY music-first - it's a guy thing. Women tend to be
>> much more into lyrics.

> That depends on the song. I generally listen more to the music than to the
> lyrics, but once in a while I listen to a song that has such great lyrics
> that they are compelling. You can't help but listen to them.

Lyrics vs. music is a trade-off, IIRC, at brain level - music and language
are located in different cortexes (cortices?).

Why is why great songwriting TEAMS are the rule.

Trade-off becomes trade-up when the one polishes the other.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oops!

> Why is why great songwriting TEAMS are the rule.

WHICH is why.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 07:45:38 -0400, "cybercat" > wrote:

>"Gill Smith" > wrote in message
net...
>> Today's list: tea and oranges.
>>

>> Mustn't forget.

>> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc
>>
>> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

>I like "Tower of Song."
>
>"Suzanne" is very evocative, but on the wrong day it can make a soul want to
>off himself.

Think that's bad try "Who By Fire".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 07:45:38 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Gill Smith" > wrote in message
snet...
>>> Today's list: tea and oranges.
>>>

>>> Mustn't forget.

>>> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc
>>>
>>> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

>>I like "Tower of Song."
>>
>>"Suzanne" is very evocative, but on the wrong day it can make a soul want
>>off himself.
>>

> Think that's bad try "Who By Fire".

Oh, great. Another member of my growing fan club. Thanks anyway, but I
will not be offing myself today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Gill Smith" > wrote in message
net...
>> Today's list: tea and oranges.
>>

>> Mustn't forget.

>> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc
>>
>> http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

>I like "Tower of Song."
>
>"Suzanne" is very evocative, but on the wrong day it can make a soul want to
>off himself.

I saw his concert yesterday in Geneva. It was just incredible. Wow!

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nathalie Chiva" > wrote
> I saw his concert yesterday in Geneva. It was just incredible. Wow!

Oh, man!!! I am so jealous. I wonder if there will be anything on youtube?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 5:40*am, "Gill Smith" >
wrote:
> Today's list: tea and oranges.
>
> Mustn't forget.

> *http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc
>
> *http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

I always wondered, which came from China? The tea? The oranges? Both?
Thanks for the memory
Lynn in Fargo
Still wondering why a guy named Cohen is writing lyrics about Jesus
walking in water . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" > wrote
>I always wondered, which came from China? The tea? The oranges? Both?

Both. Mandarin oranges and Pekoe tea. Somebody asked him once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:36:58 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Nathalie Chiva" > wrote
>> I saw his concert yesterday in Geneva. It was just incredible. Wow!
>>

>Oh, man!!! I am so jealous. I wonder if there will be anything on youtube?

There is, lots (he's doing a whole Europe tour), b ut quality is not
always good. Search on "Leonard Cohen 2008".

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nathalie Chiva" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:36:58 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Nathalie Chiva" > wrote
>>> I saw his concert yesterday in Geneva. It was just incredible. Wow!
>>>

>>Oh, man!!! I am so jealous. I wonder if there will be anything on youtube?

> There is, lots (he's doing a whole Europe tour), b ut quality is not
> always good. Search on "Leonard Cohen 2008".

I will! And I know there's nothing like live.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:06:55 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Nathalie Chiva" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:36:58 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Nathalie Chiva" > wrote
>>>>

>>>Oh, man!!! I am so jealous. I wonder if there will be anything on youtube?

>> There is, lots (he's doing a whole Europe tour), b ut quality is not
>> always good. Search on "Leonard Cohen 2008".
>>

>I will! And I know there's nothing like live.

Well, yes, but that's not what I meant - I meant that lots of the
recordings are unauthorized, so made with poor tools, so the sound and
image aren't good.

Nathalie in Switzerland

Roger Cohen on French food in the NYT [email protected] General Cooking 6 01-09-2009 07:44 PM
Joyce Zac & Allissa Cohen fland514 Vegan 0 02-07-2006 02:43 AM
Alissa Cohen fland514 Vegan 0 14-06-2006 02:43 AM
Stew Leonard's World's Largest Dairy Store near Penzey's Dee Randall General Cooking 6 18-04-2006 09:56 PM
Ping: Louis Cohen jmcquown General Cooking 1 01-08-2004 03:09 AM