Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roger Cohen on French food in the NYT

Roger Cohen has an op ed piece in today's NY Times about the
differences between French and American approaches to food. It has
some beautiful passages:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/op...ml?ref=opinion

-bwg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:41:46 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Roger Cohen has an op ed piece in today's NY Times about the
> >differences between French and American approaches to food. It has
> >some beautiful passages:
> >
> >http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/op...ml?ref=opinion
> >
> >-bwg

> Beautiful article.
>
> Christine

Indeed... Too many Americans are so divorced from where there food comes
from that some people have a paranoia about eating meat off of a bone...

It appears to be becoming a very common phobia. I know more than one
person that has it.

Meat comes from dead animals. Deal with it. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 05:16:08 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>

> >Indeed... Too many Americans are so divorced from where there food comes
> >from that some people have a paranoia about eating meat off of a bone...
> >
> >It appears to be becoming a very common phobia. I know more than one
> >person that has it.
> >
> >Meat comes from dead animals. Deal with it. ;-)

> It's not just meat that is involved. Vegetables too..and any food
> product. A lot of folks don't understand where our vegetables come
> from..and are astounded when they have something that is grown with
> care and is freshly picked. They only see vegetables in the
> supermarkets, with all the dirt washed off, and antiseptically
> packed....
>
> I am hopeful that the resurgence in gardening will help with some of
> this...
>

> Christine

It can only be a good thing! :-)

I was delighted to see my sister growing a few things in pots in her
apartment livingroom window. That will start to help my nephews learn!

It's one reason I want to build a new garden bed this fall on the South
side of the house in the front yard. I plan to get my nephews to help
me to actually plant stuff. Then I'll let them help harvest it too.

When they are old enough, I'll help sis' and brother in law to help them
learn to process meat from the live state. I'll most likely go easy
with that and start with fish.

They need to learn to fish anyway...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 05:16:08 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >Indeed... Too many Americans are so divorced from where there food comes
>> >from that some people have a paranoia about eating meat off of a bone...
>> >
>> >It appears to be becoming a very common phobia. I know more than one
>> >person that has it.
>> >
>> >Meat comes from dead animals. Deal with it. ;-)

>> It's not just meat that is involved. Vegetables too..and any food
>> product. A lot of folks don't understand where our vegetables come
>> from..and are astounded when they have something that is grown with
>> care and is freshly picked. They only see vegetables in the
>> supermarkets, with all the dirt washed off, and antiseptically
>> packed....
>>
>> I am hopeful that the resurgence in gardening will help with some of
>> this...
>>

>> Christine

> It can only be a good thing! :-)
>
> I was delighted to see my sister growing a few things in pots in her
> apartment livingroom window. That will start to help my nephews learn!
>
> It's one reason I want to build a new garden bed this fall on the South
> side of the house in the front yard. I plan to get my nephews to help
> me to actually plant stuff. Then I'll let them help harvest it too.
>
> When they are old enough, I'll help sis' and brother in law to help them
> learn to process meat from the live state. I'll most likely go easy
> with that and start with fish.
>
> They need to learn to fish anyway...

They are so lucky to have you and they will remember these times, all of
their lives

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I do hope our friend Alan doesn't see this

Steve

wrote:
> Roger Cohen has an op ed piece in today's NY Times about the
> differences between French and American approaches to food. It has
> some beautiful passages:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/op...ml?ref=opinion

> -bwg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y wrote:

> I do hope our friend Alan doesn't see this

He's busy working on his essay on how you can't
find any good beer or sausages in Germany.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nah, I reckon he's looking for the 1 reference that proves you can't get
decent Guiness in Dublin