Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kitchen messes and cooking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:11:24 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>> A cup of muriatic acid swished around once a month makes life much
>> easier. But be careful.
>>
>> Lou

>Really!?!

Yep.

>I know how dangerous that stuff is, but it really helps?

Yep.

>That's a good tip!!!!

Yep

>Does it etch the enamel in the toilet, though?

I've got one toilet I've been using it on for 20 years. No etching.
The main problem is that the deposits just make a porous surface for
more crap to collect. Mainly at the water level. Dump the MA in and
clean the toilet. Let it sit for a few minutes and swish again. If
it's really bad you may have to repeat. Then flush a bunch of times
so the acid doesn't sit in the pipes. You'll have a smooth surface
that will clean in more traditional ways. I sure wouldn't do it every
day or even week, but once in awhile sure helps. Abrasive cleansers
aren't all that good for porcelain either. MA is cheap. Home Depot
has it in the gardening section because it's used in pools. Have
Fatty do it because the fumes are pretty damn strong. Open windows.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:11:24 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> A cup of muriatic acid swished around once a month makes life much
>>> easier. But be careful.
>>>
>>> Lou

>> Really!?!

> Yep.
>
>> I know how dangerous that stuff is, but it really helps?

> Yep.
>
>> That's a good tip!!!!

> Yep
>
>> Does it etch the enamel in the toilet, though?

> I've got one toilet I've been using it on for 20 years. No etching.
> The main problem is that the deposits just make a porous surface for
> more crap to collect. Mainly at the water level. Dump the MA in and
> clean the toilet. Let it sit for a few minutes and swish again. If
> it's really bad you may have to repeat. Then flush a bunch of times
> so the acid doesn't sit in the pipes. You'll have a smooth surface
> that will clean in more traditional ways. I sure wouldn't do it every
> day or even week, but once in awhile sure helps. Abrasive cleansers
> aren't all that good for porcelain either. MA is cheap. Home Depot
> has it in the gardening section because it's used in pools. Have
> Fatty do it because the fumes are pretty damn strong. Open windows.
>
> Lou

Done, Lou. I appreciate it!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > In article >, Arri London >
> > wrote:

> > > When we needed a new ignitor for the cooker, made certain that it was
> > > clean inside and out, and even washed the kitchen floor (the ignitor is
> > > at the bottom of the oven, so kneeling required).. After the service
> > > person finished and took our payment, he said that now that he was off
> > > the clock he could comment on something. He said few of the kitchens he
> > > worked in were anywhere near as clean as ours and even rarer was a clean
> > > oven for him to work in. Should have asked for a 'clean cooker' discount
> > > LOL.

> > I'm not "neat as a pin" everywhere in my house, but I make an effort to
> > keep it livable, but the two rooms that MUST be clean are the kitchen
> > and bathrooms!
> >
> > It's time for me to scrub out the tub again. :-) And there are NEVER
> > rings in my commode!
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Ditto, although we do get rings in the toilet from the relatively hard
> water. Easy enough to remove but annoying nonetheless.

Funny, we have hard water too... It's just that if even a _shadow_ of a
ring appears, dad gets into cleaning it! He can't stand it any more
than I can. ;-) There are some hard water deposits up under the rim
where the water jets are tho'. I take acid to those periodically.

I just can't understand people that live ankle deep in crap all over the
house, and the house stinks. :-( I really don't get that.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:
> >>

> >> It's time for me to scrub out the tub again. :-) And there are NEVER
> >> rings in my commode!
> >> --
> >> Peace! Om

> > Ditto, although we do get rings in the toilet from the relatively hard
> > water. Easy enough to remove but annoying nonetheless.

> Gosh, we get rings in our toilet every couple of days or so, and we have
> hard water, too. I scrub the stains out, but there's always a residual
> ring. I bleach the toilet, the ring still comes back. Like Arri said, it's
> easy enough to remove, but it really is annoying.
>
> kili

Vinegar.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:47:48 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> >Arri London wrote:

> >> Ditto, although we do get rings in the toilet from the relatively hard
> >> water. Easy enough to remove but annoying nonetheless.

> >Gosh, we get rings in our toilet every couple of days or so, and we have
> >hard water, too. I scrub the stains out, but there's always a residual
> >ring. I bleach the toilet, the ring still comes back. Like Arri said, it's
> >easy enough to remove, but it really is annoying.

> A cup of muriatic acid swished around once a month makes life much
> easier. But be careful.
>
> Lou

Yes.

Make sure you have GOOD ventilation!

Using Muriatic acid in the bathroom is what prompted me to purchase a
real gas mask with extra filters several years ago. I wear it when I
really have to do heavy hard water deposit cleaning... There are places
that hard water gets that are not visible that I'll go for a couple of
times per year. It gets mildewed and nasty.

They (Israeli gas masks) were cheap before 9/11 which is when I bought
mine. $25.00 and $5.00 for filters.
We don't have good ventilation in the bathroom, and acid fumes are very
dangerous, and DEADLY if combined with bleach.

I know it sounds overly paranoid and silly, but working in health care...

I've seen people end up in the Emergency room with permanent lung damage
from "spring cleaning" and combining the wrong cleaning chemicals!
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Lou Decruss wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:47:48 -0400, "kilikini"
> > > wrote:

> >> Gosh, we get rings in our toilet every couple of days or so, and we
> >> have hard water, too. I scrub the stains out, but there's always a
> >> residual ring. I bleach the toilet, the ring still comes back.
> >> Like Arri said, it's easy enough to remove, but it really is
> >> annoying.

> > A cup of muriatic acid swished around once a month makes life much
> > easier. But be careful.
> >
> > Lou

> Really!?! I know how dangerous that stuff is, but it really helps? That's
> a good tip!!!! Does it etch the enamel in the toilet, though?
>
> kili

No, it won't etch enamel but does create really dangerous fumes.
Especially full strength.

A chemistry note when diluting acid (NEVER WATER YOUR ACID!) Always add
the acid to the water. It creates an exothermic reaction and can
bubble up and burn you or cause damage.

Muriatic acid must be used with extreme caution.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I've seen people end up in the Emergency room with permanent lung
> damage from "spring cleaning" and combining the wrong cleaning
> chemicals!

You'd think people would know that by now, you know what I mean? People
should know not to mix bleach & vinegar and such. I usually use all-natural
cleaning agents. Maybe that's why they don't work as well. Pffffff! LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:47:48 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> >Arri London wrote:

> >> Ditto, although we do get rings in the toilet from the relatively hard
> >> water. Easy enough to remove but annoying nonetheless.

> >Gosh, we get rings in our toilet every couple of days or so, and we have
> >hard water, too. I scrub the stains out, but there's always a residual
> >ring. I bleach the toilet, the ring still comes back. Like Arri said, it's
> >easy enough to remove, but it really is annoying.

> A cup of muriatic acid swished around once a month makes life much
> easier. But be careful.
>
> Lou

We use something called 'drywall screen'. It's an abrasive mesh (comes
in different grades) and works a treat, also used with care. Works on
the hard-water crust on taps and vases too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:36:59 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:47:48 -0400, "kilikini"
>> > wrote:

>> >Gosh, we get rings in our toilet every couple of days or so, and we have
>> >hard water, too. I scrub the stains out, but there's always a residual
>> >ring. I bleach the toilet, the ring still comes back. Like Arri said, it's
>> >easy enough to remove, but it really is annoying.

>> A cup of muriatic acid swished around once a month makes life much
>> easier. But be careful.
>>
>> Lou

>We use something called 'drywall screen'. It's an abrasive mesh (comes
>in different grades) and works a treat, also used with care. Works on
>the hard-water crust on taps and vases too.

I know what the screen is and never would have thought of using it for
that. Do you have to stick your hands in the toilet?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kitchen Chemistry (was Kitchen messes and cooking)

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > I've seen people end up in the Emergency room with permanent lung
> > damage from "spring cleaning" and combining the wrong cleaning
> > chemicals!

> You'd think people would know that by now, you know what I mean? People
> should know not to mix bleach & vinegar and such. I usually use all-natural
> cleaning agents. Maybe that's why they don't work as well. Pffffff! LOL.
>
> kili

People nowadays often don't learn that stuff until it's too late. My
parents taught it to me early on, but it seems to be getting less and
less common for people to know kitchen chemistry.

That and basic wound care.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> >> A cup of muriatic acid swished around once a month makes life much
> >> easier. But be careful.
> >>
> >> Lou

> >We use something called 'drywall screen'. It's an abrasive mesh (comes
> >in different grades) and works a treat, also used with care. Works on
> >the hard-water crust on taps and vases too.

> I know what the screen is and never would have thought of using it for
> that. Do you have to stick your hands in the toilet?
>
> Lou

Wear gloves. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:36:59 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >Lou Decruss wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:47:48 -0400, "kilikini"

> >> A cup of muriatic acid swished around once a month makes life much
> >> easier. But be careful.
> >>
> >> Lou

> >We use something called 'drywall screen'. It's an abrasive mesh (comes
> >in different grades) and works a treat, also used with care. Works on
> >the hard-water crust on taps and vases too.

> I know what the screen is and never would have thought of using it for
> that.

A contractor gave some to his wife to give to her work colleagues for
that purpose. My mother got some and liked it very much. She didn't know
what it was, so had to do a bit of research to identify it.

>Do you have to stick your hands in the toilet?

Slightly. But we normally wear gloves while cleaning the loo anyway
It only gets done about once a month, usual cleaner applies in between.