Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Partly OT Just another sign of the changing times

Today I went to help cook dinner at a homeless shelter (the on topic part)
and when I was parking, this grabbed my attention and I'm glad I had my
camera.

http://i38.tinypic.com/30arj11.jpg

I don't know if there was a phone in there somewhere.

--
Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> Today I went to help cook dinner at a homeless shelter

What a cool thing for a busy person to do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> Today I went to help cook dinner at a homeless shelter (the on topic part)
> and when I was parking, this grabbed my attention and I'm glad I had my
> camera.
>
> http://i38.tinypic.com/30arj11.jpg
>
> I don't know if there was a phone in there somewhere.
>
> --
> Cheryl

Looks like passion vine. :-) Still edible so still on topic!

Glad you had a camera. I've not seen a phone booth in years...

Ah nostalgia!

Nice pic!
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> Today I went to help cook dinner at a homeless shelter

> What a cool thing for a busy person to do.

LOL! It actually is part of Single Volunteers of Baltimore and Annapolis
(SVBA). My first event. It was eye-opening. The few people who came to
eat enjoyed it as it was (more of a hot dish, but we had fun preparing it,
and they have plenty of leftovers for the weekend). It was heartbreaking
and encouraging both at the same time to see these tiny toddlers with just
an older brother (or father, but he sure was young) come to eat, and come
back for seconds. We cooked and one of the chores for the diners was to
clean up. But we kept reusing pots and pans to as to not load up the sink,
and we rinsed everything and put them to soak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 00:42:26 GMT, Cheryl wrote:

> Today I went to help cook dinner at a homeless shelter (the on topic part)
> and when I was parking, this grabbed my attention and I'm glad I had my
> camera.
>
> http://i38.tinypic.com/30arj11.jpg
>
> I don't know if there was a phone in there somewhere.

it's superman's window garden.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 00:42:26 GMT, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> Today I went to help cook dinner at a homeless shelter (the on topic
>> part)
>> and when I was parking, this grabbed my attention and I'm glad I had my
>> camera.
>>
>> http://i38.tinypic.com/30arj11.jpg
>>
>> I don't know if there was a phone in there somewhere.

> it's superman's window garden.

Nuh uh. It's Stanley after he ate Superman. Trying to hide.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 00:42:26 GMT, "Cheryl"
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>Today I went to help cook dinner at a homeless shelter (the on topic part)
>and when I was parking, this grabbed my attention and I'm glad I had my
>camera.
>
>http://i38.tinypic.com/30arj11.jpg
>
>I don't know if there was a phone in there somewhere.

One of the defendants in a case where our client is the plaintiff (and
we won) was a kid who came into a sizable inheritance from his
grandmother and invested about all of it in a company that makes
public [coin operated] telephones. I don't think that's working out
well for him...

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> One of the defendants in a case where our client is the plaintiff (and
> we won) was a kid who came into a sizable inheritance from his
> grandmother and invested about all of it in a company that makes
> public [coin operated] telephones. I don't think that's working out
> well for him...

It's a racket. My wife stayed in an area with no cell phone coverage.
She called me from a pay phone using a credit card. We got billed over
US$20 for a five minute call! It was about 200 miles away.

Still, in my neighborhood the pay phones are often busy. People talk a
long time on them. It seems to be middle aged men. I don't know what
they are saying, because it is all in Spanish. Perhaps they are using
a cheap calling card to call Mexico?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 13:15:43 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 00:42:26 GMT, Cheryl wrote:
>>
>>> Today I went to help cook dinner at a homeless shelter (the on topic
>>> part)
>>> and when I was parking, this grabbed my attention and I'm glad I had my
>>> camera.
>>>
>>> http://i38.tinypic.com/30arj11.jpg
>>>
>>> I don't know if there was a phone in there somewhere.

>> it's superman's window garden.
>>

> Nuh uh. It's Stanley after he ate Superman. Trying to hide.

i thought it was audrey.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 4, 8:42 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:

> I don't know if there was a phone in there somewhere.

Ah - a real phone booth. Who recalls the indoor wooden booths,
complete with light, fan, a seat, and a bi-fold door? I've seen em at
antique shows, selling for a couple of thou.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:45:47 -0700 (PDT), val189
> wrote:

>On Oct 4, 8:42 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if there was a phone in there somewhere.

>Ah - a real phone booth. Who recalls the indoor wooden booths,
>complete with light, fan, a seat, and a bi-fold door? I've seen em at
>antique shows, selling for a couple of thou.

I remember them. I saw an English one a few years ago that had an
asking of $2500+. It was totally cool! Wish I'd bought it. My life
and my house was in a "different place" (not physically) back then
though and it was out of the question.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:45:47 -0700 (PDT), val189
> > wrote:
>
>>On Oct 4, 8:42 pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know if there was a phone in there somewhere.

>>Ah - a real phone booth. Who recalls the indoor wooden booths,
>>complete with light, fan, a seat, and a bi-fold door? I've seen
>>em at antique shows, selling for a couple of thou.

> I remember them. I saw an English one a few years ago that had
> an asking of $2500+. It was totally cool! Wish I'd bought it.
> My life and my house was in a "different place" (not physically)
> back then though and it was out of the question.

My home town was so poor we only had one phone booth, and it was on
the back of a truck that drove around to all the neighborhoods.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Oct 2008 10:31:09 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
wrote:

>My home town was so poor we only had one phone booth, and it was on
>the back of a truck that drove around to all the neighborhoods.

LOLOL

Mae West

A man, a partly frozen chicken, and a knife cshenk General Cooking 8 16-12-2015 12:55 AM
The lunchroom at work -- partly OT Bryan-TGWWW General Cooking 17 11-09-2014 02:17 PM
Changing times Dimitri General Cooking 59 10-02-2013 03:58 AM
rabbits, partly ot Stormmee Barbecue 75 19-07-2010 10:22 AM
A Sign of the Times -- Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que update Dave Bugg Barbecue 18 25-09-2004 11:45 PM