Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Foil-Pack Taco Chicken Dinner......Can this be converted for thecrockpot?

Foil-Pack Taco Chicken Dinner
Prep: 10 min
Ready In: 50 min
Serves: 4

Ingredients
4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 lb./500 g)
4 tsp. taco seasoning mix
2 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
1 cup KRAFT Tex Mex Shredded Cheese
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 cup sour cream

Directions

1 PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Sprinkle chicken evenly with seasoning mix.
Place 1/2 cup of the potatoes on centre of each of four large sheets
of heavy-duty foil; top each with 1 chicken breast, 1/4 cup of the
cheese and 2 Tbsp. of the salsa.

2 BRING up foil sides. Double fold top and both ends to seal each
packet, leaving room for heat circulation inside. Place in single
layer in 15x10x1-inch baking pan.

3 BAKE 30 to 35 min. or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes
are tender. Remove packets from oven. Let stand 5 min. Place one
packet on each of four dinner plates. Cut slits in foil with sharp
knife to release steam before opening. Top each serving with 1 Tbsp.
of the sour cream.

Easy Cleanup
Because the cooking is done in the foil packets, there's little to
clean up!

Make Ahead
Assemble packets as directed. Refrigerate up to 4 hours, then bake as
directed, increasing baking time to 40 min. or until chicken is cooked
through and potatoes are tender.

Note
To prevent potatoes from sticking to the foil, spray foil with cooking
spray before using. Or, use nonstick foil.

Maybe put the thin potatoes on the bottom of a greased crock, then
layer the chicken and other ingredients on top. How long to cook in
the CP?

Thanks for your help!

....Lisa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 9:32 pm, hamiltoncruiser > wrote:
> Foil-Pack Taco Chicken Dinner
> Prep: 10 min
> Ready In: 50 min
> Serves: 4
>
> Ingredients
> 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 lb./500 g)
> 4 tsp. taco seasoning mix
> 2 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
> 1 cup KRAFT Tex Mex Shredded Cheese
> 1/2 cup salsa
> 1/4 cup sour cream
>
> Directions
>
> 1 PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Sprinkle chicken evenly with seasoning mix.
> Place 1/2 cup of the potatoes on centre of each of four large sheets
> of heavy-duty foil; top each with 1 chicken breast, 1/4 cup of the
> cheese and 2 Tbsp. of the salsa.
>
> 2 BRING up foil sides. Double fold top and both ends to seal each
> packet, leaving room for heat circulation inside. Place in single
> layer in 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
>
> 3 BAKE 30 to 35 min. or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes
> are tender. Remove packets from oven. Let stand 5 min. Place one
> packet on each of four dinner plates. Cut slits in foil with sharp
> knife to release steam before opening. Top each serving with 1 Tbsp.
> of the sour cream.
>
> Easy Cleanup
> Because the cooking is done in the foil packets, there's little to
> clean up!
>
> Make Ahead
> Assemble packets as directed. Refrigerate up to 4 hours, then bake as
> directed, increasing baking time to 40 min. or until chicken is cooked
> through and potatoes are tender.
>
> Note
> To prevent potatoes from sticking to the foil, spray foil with cooking
> spray before using. Or, use nonstick foil.
>
> Maybe put the thin potatoes on the bottom of a greased crock, then
> layer the chicken and other ingredients on top. How long to cook in
> the CP?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> ...Lisa

Um, why?

For what it is, like maybe camping, this seems good enough.

I use a crock pot a lot, but it is wet. Everything that comes out is
sorta like a stew.

And how is this a taco with no tortillas? Potatoes? On another
thread we're talking about "authentic" food. This ain't that. Not
that there's anything wrong with that.

You could cook the chicken, salsa, seasonings (of course, homemade
would be better, but use the packet if you must) in the crock. And
potatoes if you have to.

Warm up some tortillas, find some lettuce and onion, cilantro. Dump
on the cheeses. More salsa.

I forget where I got this crock chicken recipie, but you might like
it. Tastes a lot better than you'd think and is dorm-cooking simple.

Three basic ingredients - cut up chicken, a jar of store-bought salsa
in your favorite flavor, about half a jar of peanut butter (I like
chunky). Dump it in the crock and stew for hours until the meat is
falling off the bone.

Depending on your salsa you might want to add other stuff. Onion,
garlic, pineapple, ginger, whatever. Serve with tortillas or doritos
or french bread or whatever.

bulka

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 9:32 pm, hamiltoncruiser > wrote:
> Foil-Pack Taco Chicken Dinner
> Prep: 10 min
> Ready In: 50 min
> Serves: 4
>
> Ingredients
> 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 lb./500 g)
> 4 tsp. taco seasoning mix
> 2 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
> 1 cup KRAFT Tex Mex Shredded Cheese
> 1/2 cup salsa
> 1/4 cup sour cream
>
> Directions
>
> 1 PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Sprinkle chicken evenly with seasoning mix.
> Place 1/2 cup of the potatoes on centre of each of four large sheets
> of heavy-duty foil; top each with 1 chicken breast, 1/4 cup of the
> cheese and 2 Tbsp. of the salsa.
>
> 2 BRING up foil sides. Double fold top and both ends to seal each
> packet, leaving room for heat circulation inside. Place in single
> layer in 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
>
> 3 BAKE 30 to 35 min. or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes
> are tender. Remove packets from oven. Let stand 5 min. Place one
> packet on each of four dinner plates. Cut slits in foil with sharp
> knife to release steam before opening. Top each serving with 1 Tbsp.
> of the sour cream.
>
> Easy Cleanup
> Because the cooking is done in the foil packets, there's little to
> clean up!
>
> Make Ahead
> Assemble packets as directed. Refrigerate up to 4 hours, then bake as
> directed, increasing baking time to 40 min. or until chicken is cooked
> through and potatoes are tender.
>
> Note
> To prevent potatoes from sticking to the foil, spray foil with cooking
> spray before using. Or, use nonstick foil.
>
> Maybe put the thin potatoes on the bottom of a greased crock, then
> layer the chicken and other ingredients on top. How long to cook in
> the CP?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> ...Lisa

I never had to think about this before, but why couldn't a crockpot be
a slow oven?

Put your camper packets (maybe wrapped in parchment or, better, corn
husks. Or blanched cabage leafs) in and see what happens in a few
hours. might want some sort of rack to keep off direct contact with
the bottom. maybe a little liquid for some steam action. Skinless
boneless breasts dry out real easy.

Never cared for this cut of meat. It's a "gateway" food - bland
enough for dieters and people trying to wean themselves from meat,
close enough to tofu for vegetarians daring to cross to the dark
side.

bulka