Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default An abundance of black olives

While reorganizing the pantry, I find I have 6 large and 3 small cans of
pitted black olives. (*and 5 cans of beets, but that's a whole 'nuther
issue)
I like to toss whole olives in a quick meatless tomato sauce. But I've
not done any fresh sauce in a while....yet someone keeps adding them to
the pantry!? (ga'bless husbands who like to go commissary shopping. Really)
Hmmmmm...I need to use some up. Caponata comes to mind, as well as tapanade.

Is there anything lurking in your pantry in need of using up?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> While reorganizing the pantry, I find I have 6 large and 3 small cans of
> pitted black olives. (*and 5 cans of beets, but that's a whole 'nuther
> issue)
> I like to toss whole olives in a quick meatless tomato sauce. But I've
> not done any fresh sauce in a while....yet someone keeps adding them to
> the pantry!? (ga'bless husbands who like to go commissary shopping. Really)
> Hmmmmm...I need to use some up. Caponata comes to mind, as well as
> tapanade.

James likes a TON of olives in tamale pie, so that's what I'd make. Or
pizza. I'm not a fan of ripe olives, but he loves 'em.

> Is there anything lurking in your pantry in need of using up?

Not really. Our paychecks haven't gone through, so I'm doing the
use-up-what's-in-the-cupboards thing, and that's a good method of
cleaning out the pantry. :-)

Serene
--
"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

>> Is there anything lurking in your pantry in need of using up?

> Not really. Our paychecks haven't gone through, so I'm doing the
> use-up-what's-in-the-cupboards thing, and that's a good method of
> cleaning out the pantry. :-)
>
> Serene

Some of my BEST meals were at those times, believe it or not. They
forced me to be more creative.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote:

>While reorganizing the pantry, I find I have 6 large and 3 small cans of
>pitted black olives. (*and 5 cans of beets, but that's a whole 'nuther
>issue)
>I like to toss whole olives in a quick meatless tomato sauce. But I've
>not done any fresh sauce in a while....yet someone keeps adding them to
>the pantry!? (ga'bless husbands who like to go commissary shopping. Really)
>Hmmmmm...I need to use some up. Caponata comes to mind, as well as tapanade.

They are okay in potato salad, but I generally don't use more
than 1/2 can per batch.

If I found that many cans of black olives in the pantry, they
would probably go to the food bank.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote:

> I need to use some up.

I would just chill them, then eat them right out of the can. With
my fingers, of course.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Goomba > wrote:
>
>> I need to use some up.

> I would just chill them, then eat them right out of the can. With
> my fingers, of course.
>
> -sw

I use a spoon to get them out - unless I am planning on eating a whole
can/jar. Better than candy, IMHO.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

There is no such thing as a little garlic. ~A. Baer
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 08:02:31 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>While reorganizing the pantry, I find I have 6 large and 3 small cans of
>pitted black olives. (*and 5 cans of beets, but that's a whole 'nuther
>issue)
>I like to toss whole olives in a quick meatless tomato sauce. But I've
>not done any fresh sauce in a while....yet someone keeps adding them to
>the pantry!? (ga'bless husbands who like to go commissary shopping. Really)
>Hmmmmm...I need to use some up. Caponata comes to mind, as well as tapanade.

****aladiere with extra olives. It's supposed to be made with
kalamata olives but who cares.

http://classical-french-cuisine.suit...ch_onion_pizza

>Is there anything lurking in your pantry in need of using up?

I'm about due to toss some old spices and start over.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Goomba > wrote:
>
>> I need to use some up.

> I would just chill them, then eat them right out of the can. With
> my fingers, of course.
>
> -sw

One per finger just like we all did as kids?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Goomba > wrote:
> >
> >> I need to use some up.

> > I would just chill them, then eat them right out of the can. With
> > my fingers, of course.
> >
> > -sw

> One per finger just like we all did as kids?

<lol> I remember that!

And Calamari rings, one per finger. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> Goomba > wrote:
>
>> One per finger just like we all did as kids?

> <lol> I remember that!
>
> And Calamari rings, one per finger. ;-)

<shaking head> You were a strange kid.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Goomba > wrote:
> >
> >> One per finger just like we all did as kids?

> > <lol> I remember that!
> >
> > And Calamari rings, one per finger. ;-)

> <shaking head> You were a strange kid.
>
> -sw

Thanks! :-)

<smootch>
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> While reorganizing the pantry, I find I have 6 large and 3 small cans of
> pitted black olives. (*and 5 cans of beets, but that's a whole 'nuther
> issue)
> I like to toss whole olives in a quick meatless tomato sauce. But I've not
> done any fresh sauce in a while....yet someone keeps adding them to the
> pantry!? (ga'bless husbands who like to go commissary shopping. Really)
> Hmmmmm...I need to use some up. Caponata comes to mind, as well as
> tapanade.

My family put them in egg salad for sandwiches. Pretty tasty. Oh heck, now
I'm jonesing for egg & olive sandwhiches!

> Is there anything lurking in your pantry in need of using up?

Several cans of salmon from when my roommate lived with me (briefly). I
should give them away, I'll likely never use them.

I also have numerous cans of tomato products but they'll get used without
any particular effort. I think there are a few cans of veggies in the
pantry that will find their way into soup when the weather cools down.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"TammyM" > wrote:

> > Hmmmmm...I need to use some up. Caponata comes to mind, as well as
> > tapanade.

> My family put them in egg salad for sandwiches. Pretty tasty. Oh heck, now
> I'm jonesing for egg & olive sandwhiches!

Sliced olives (for me) go well in tuna or chicken salad, as pizza
toppings and taste good in many omelets, and some mexican foods...

Just personal taste of course. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" wrote

> While reorganizing the pantry, I find I have 6 large and 3 small cans of
> pitted black olives.

> (ga'bless husbands who like to go commissary shopping. Really)

Hehehe call it a hint. He likes black olives.

I use them all the time in all sorts of dishes.

> Is there anything lurking in your pantry in need of using up?

Some cantonese pancit noodles but it's only 1 bag (grin).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Goomba > wrote:
>
>> I need to use some up.

> I would just chill them, then eat them right out of the can. With
> my fingers, of course.
>
> -sw

Had a friend who would stick 10 black olives on his fingertips so he
wouldn't have to hit the bowl so often.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> While reorganizing the pantry, I find I have 6 large and 3 small cans of
> pitted black olives. (*and 5 cans of beets, but that's a whole 'nuther
> issue)
> I like to toss whole olives in a quick meatless tomato sauce. But I've not
> done any fresh sauce in a while....yet someone keeps adding them to the
> pantry!? (ga'bless husbands who like to go commissary shopping. Really)
> Hmmmmm...I need to use some up. Caponata comes to mind, as well as
> tapanade.
>
> Is there anything lurking in your pantry in need of using up?

Lots.

But for olives

Find small children and put an olive on each finger.

They'll be gone in a flash.

:-0

Dimitri