Old 02-09-2008, 07:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Flavored Vodka

I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
advance.
Frank

Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Frank103 wrote:

I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
advance.

I dunno, but you just got me wishing I had some Vanilla Bacardi on hand.
Best darned rum'n'cokes ever.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old 02-09-2008, 08:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 2, 11:37*am, "Frank103" wrote:
I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
advance.
Frank

When we moved into this house with a large well-established orange
tree I was still drinking vodka, so I thought I'd try infusing vodka
with orange flavor. I tried it two ways: large quantities of zest,
infused for about 5 days; and peeled fruit sections, pith removed, for
about 8 days. Results strained into another bottle in both cases.
Both worked, in the sense of imparting flavor. The zest produced a
sharper tinge than the fruit. But I didn't like either one and
switched back to screwdrivers......Nowadays I like mimosas. -aem
Old 02-09-2008, 08:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 11:37*am, "Frank103" wrote:
I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
advance.
Frank

I would just use the zest of all 3 lemons- wait a week or 2 to test.
If it's not strong enough, let it go a week or so more...
Old 02-09-2008, 09:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Frank103" wrote in message
I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix
rest? Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use?
Thanks in advance.
Frank

Here you go;

Lemon Flavored Vodka Recipe #13346
From the Jewish Food Archives.
by Mirj
5 min | 5 min prep

1 small lemon
1 quart vodka

Remove the thin outer peel from a small lemon in one long spiral; avoid the
bitter white pith.
Drop it into a quart of vodka and let stand at least 1 week, removing the
peel when you think its job has been done.
The lemon colors the vodka pale yellow and imparts a slight citrus sweetness
and pungency.
TO USE: Serve the vodka chilled.
If you wish, the vodka may be stored in the freezer.

2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com

Dimitri

Old 02-09-2008, 10:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Frank103 wrote:

I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
advance.

Use just the zest. If you use the juice, you'd be making a kind of
cocktail. Zest of 3 lemons for 1.5 l of vodka is a reasonable ratio.
Zest the lemons carefully, so that only the yellow part is present;
white pith would add bitterness. Add the zest to the vodka and let
steep in a warm place for a few days. Filter out the zest.

Victor
Old 02-09-2008, 11:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 23:45:45 +0200, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

white pith would add bitterness.

It's vodka....after a couple...who would care??....VBG!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 1:37*pm, "Frank103" wrote:
I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
advance.
Frank

What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
Lynn in Fargo

Old 03-09-2008, 01:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
On Sep 2, 1:37 pm, "Frank103" wrote:
I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
advance.
Frank

What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
Lynn in Fargo

I don't know. Never tried it. But a few weeks ago I went to my brothers
for a Mojito party. I took some rum, sugar syrup with lime juice, fresh
limes and fresh mint and made great Mojitos. He bought a bottle of
Mojito. The commercial stuff was horrible,
Old 03-09-2008, 01:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
On Sep 2, 1:37 pm, "Frank103" wrote:
I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
advance.
Frank

What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
Lynn in Fargo

I don't know. Never tried it. But a few weeks ago I went to my brothers
for a Mojito party. I took some rum, sugar syrup with lime juice, fresh
limes and fresh mint and made great Mojitos. He bought a bottle of
Mojito. The commercial stuff was horrible,

Ugh.

Another answer might be that OP is using inexpensive vodka, and that
probably indicates a preference to continue doing that.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?

Nothing! It's reasonable at its price point. Ketel One Citron
is IMO better.

Regarding citrus vodka in general, a local bartender turned me on to
very nice one -- Finlandia Grapefruit. Seemed an unlikely thing
to try but they did a really good job.

Then there are the Hanger One vodkas, flavored before distillation.

Steve
Old 03-09-2008, 03:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri was thinking very hard :
"Frank103" wrote in message
I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix
rest? Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use?
Thanks in advance.
Frank

Here you go;

Lemon Flavored Vodka Recipe #13346
From the Jewish Food Archives.
by Mirj
5 min | 5 min prep

1 small lemon
1 quart vodka

Remove the thin outer peel from a small lemon in one long spiral; avoid the
bitter white pith.
Drop it into a quart of vodka and let stand at least 1 week, removing the
peel when you think its job has been done.
The lemon colors the vodka pale yellow and imparts a slight citrus sweetness
and pungency.
TO USE: Serve the vodka chilled.
If you wish, the vodka may be stored in the freezer.

2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com

Dimitri

That's also the recipe for lemon extract, except you use about 2 oz
vodka, I'd assume.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
Lynn from Fargo wrote:

What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?

Nothing! It's reasonable at its price point. Ketel One Citron
is IMO better.

Regarding citrus vodka in general, a local bartender turned me on to
very nice one -- Finlandia Grapefruit. Seemed an unlikely thing
to try but they did a really good job.

Ohmygosh- some of the BEST vodka filled chocolates I've ever purchased
were Finlandia dark chocolates. Incredibly good!!
Every Christmas the commissary sells liquor filled chocolates and you
have to buy what you see when you see it, because you never know if
they'll have it again next week. I always buy a mess of 'em and give
them to all the support staff for a Christmas presents. They are always
good, but the Finlandia were by far my favorite!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
Lynn from Fargo wrote:

What the hell's the matter with Absolut Citron ?
Lynn in Fargo

I don't know. Never tried it. But a few weeks ago I went to my brothers
for a Mojito party. I took some rum, sugar syrup with lime juice, fresh
limes and fresh mint and made great Mojitos. He bought a bottle of
Mojito. The commercial stuff was horrible,

In my experience, pre-mixed bottled cocktails are ALWAYS horrible,
along with that nasty bottled "bar mix" for lemon or lime drinks.
Ugh.

gloria p
Old 03-09-2008, 04:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

In my experience, pre-mixed bottled cocktails are ALWAYS horrible,
along with that nasty bottled "bar mix" for lemon or lime drinks.
Ugh.

Right. And I'm not too fond of the stuff that comes out of a
bar hose either.

Steve

A new vodka I just tried Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 31 31-10-2011 02:32 AM
i meant about the vodka, don't care about the seeds either way, but adding the vodka, that is a good thing, LEe Stormmee Barbecue 4 24-07-2009 12:36 AM
why vodka in "vodka cream sauce"? Eddie G[_1_] General Cooking 5 01-04-2007 07:23 AM
Chocolate flavored vodka? Ian General 5 29-07-2004 01:54 PM
X flavored Doritos same as old Taco flavored Doritos (circa 1995) Roland Marsey Marketplace 0 19-06-2004 10:24 PM