Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Potato croquettes anyone ??

The August 2008 issue of Gourmet magazine has an interesting recipe
called -- guess what it is <G> ---
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...QUETTES-243269
-- <G> This recipe really intrigues me.

Until eating out recently at a local Italian restaurant, I'd never eaten
potato croquettes before. But, I had read the Gourmet recipe a week or
two prior visiting the italian restaurant and had a good idea what they
were, so I ordered the pork tenderloin dinner which included the
croquettes (and brocolli, that I requested on a separate plate for my
fellow diners to eat and share instead of me). The croquettes were very
good, and I liked them a lot, even as cold leftovers with the pork.
But, I think the restaurant's recipe was different than the one I saved
from the Gourmet magazine because I never noticed any cheese as an
ingredient.

Has anyone made potato croquettes before? Any hints, tips or tricks? I
have some mashed potatoes that I made last night and want to try to make
these.

Sky, who enjoys discussions about food ;D

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:16:20 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>The August 2008 issue of Gourmet magazine has an interesting recipe
>called -- guess what it is <G> ---
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...QUETTES-243269
>-- <G> This recipe really intrigues me.
>
>Until eating out recently at a local Italian restaurant, I'd never eaten
>potato croquettes before. But, I had read the Gourmet recipe a week or
>two prior visiting the italian restaurant and had a good idea what they
>were, so I ordered the pork tenderloin dinner which included the
>croquettes (and brocolli, that I requested on a separate plate for my
>fellow diners to eat and share instead of me). The croquettes were very
>good, and I liked them a lot, even as cold leftovers with the pork.
>But, I think the restaurant's recipe was different than the one I saved
>from the Gourmet magazine because I never noticed any cheese as an
>ingredient.
>
>Has anyone made potato croquettes before? Any hints, tips or tricks? I
>have some mashed potatoes that I made last night and want to try to make
>these.
>
>Sky, who enjoys discussions about food ;D

Here's what I said a few days ago in the Baking Potato thread that
Dimitri started. There's a few fuzzy picture links. Kink of on the
lines what you're wanting to do.

Lou
I take leftovers or make extras and mash them, but keep them on the
dry side. Then I form patties with wet fingers, dip in an egg wash
and coat heavily with panko. Then I wrap individually and freeze. To
serve all they need is about 2 minutes per side in a wok with enough
hot oil to cover. A perfect quick and easy side dish. You can add
cheese or whatever you want to the mixture but you need to keep them a
bit dry or they're impossible to form and they explode in the hot oil.

Lou

I forgot to say: IMO, an important key is to rice the potatoes. I
also freeze them a bit before I wrap them:

http://i33.tinypic.com/2ykkh89.jpg

This one got away from me and browned a bit too much, but still was
awesome. Sorry the pics are a little fuzzy.

http://i33.tinypic.com/fk0jk9.jpg

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> The August 2008 issue of Gourmet magazine has an interesting recipe
> called -- guess what it is <G> ---
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...QUETTES-243269
> -- <G> This recipe really intrigues me.
>
> Until eating out recently at a local Italian restaurant, I'd never eaten
> potato croquettes before. But, I had read the Gourmet recipe a week or
> two prior visiting the italian restaurant and had a good idea what they
> were, so I ordered the pork tenderloin dinner which included the
> croquettes (and brocolli, that I requested on a separate plate for my
> fellow diners to eat and share instead of me). The croquettes were very
> good, and I liked them a lot, even as cold leftovers with the pork.
> But, I think the restaurant's recipe was different than the one I saved
> from the Gourmet magazine because I never noticed any cheese as an
> ingredient.
>
> Has anyone made potato croquettes before? Any hints, tips or tricks? I
> have some mashed potatoes that I made last night and want to try to make
> these.
>
> Sky, who enjoys discussions about food ;D

Croquettes are a popular dish in restaurants and to make at home in
Japan. They might be just the thing if you have some left over mashed
potatoes. You don't really need a recipe. It's just some potatoes, an
egg and whatever you got. A simple one would be peas and carrots and
corn along with some curry powder. What makes it tasty is that you dip
it in beaten eggs and bread crumbs. It turns out best with Japanese
bread crumbs - however, in the spirit of the dish, use whatever you have
on hand. I like to eat croquettes with tonkatsu sauce. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote in
news:AaidnQeqX9y1MQbVnZ2dnUVZ_uCdnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...QUETTES-243269

I like my croquettes more smashed than mashed. I think the cooked potato
should go thru a coarse meat grinder or a potato ricer and not be too
mashed. I feel mashed too almost whipped potato state is not good for mouth
feel in a croquette.

I also prefer corn meal to panko on croquettes.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> leftovers with the pork. But, I think the restaurant's recipe was
> different than the one I saved from the Gourmet magazine because I
> never noticed any cheese as an ingredient.
>
> Has anyone made potato croquettes before? Any hints, tips or tricks?
> I have some mashed potatoes that I made last night and want to try to
> make these.

You're right about cheese: there shouldn't be any. Regarding flavoring, a
crucial ingredient is nutmeg: croquesttes without nutmeg are like asses
without the hole. (Oooops, pardon!)
Regarding the breading: some people toss them in beaten egg before breading,
others don't, and I never tried to use flour instead of breadcrumbs but...
why not? One day I'll try it out.

<trailer park trash mode ON>
Morevoer, if you're in a shortage of ingredients and don't/can't go shopping
potatoes (happened to me a couple of times), you can even use those
dehidrated potato puree packets: just follow the instructions for the puree
but reduce the amount of liquids to have it firmer, then just roll
it out in croquettes and bread them as usual.
<trailer park trash mode OFF>
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Vilco wrote:

> Sky wrote:
>
> > leftovers with the pork. But, I think the restaurant's recipe was
> > different than the one I saved from the Gourmet magazine because I
> > never noticed any cheese as an ingredient.
> >
> > Has anyone made potato croquettes before? Any hints, tips or tricks?
> > I have some mashed potatoes that I made last night and want to try to
> > make these.

> You're right about cheese: there shouldn't be any. Regarding flavoring, a
> crucial ingredient is nutmeg: croquesttes without nutmeg are like asses
> without the hole. (Oooops, pardon!)
> Regarding the breading: some people toss them in beaten egg before breading,
> others don't, and I never tried to use flour instead of breadcrumbs but...
> why not? One day I'll try it out.
>
> <trailer park trash mode ON>
> Morevoer, if you're in a shortage of ingredients and don't/can't go shopping
> potatoes (happened to me a couple of times), you can even use those
> dehidrated potato puree packets: just follow the instructions for the puree
> but reduce the amount of liquids to have it firmer, then just roll
> it out in croquettes and bread them as usual.
> <trailer park trash mode OFF>
> --
> Vilco

Thanks for the suggestions As a last resort this past week, I did
use a package of instant potatoes (the 'real' ones I had on hand at the
times had already sprouted! They were trashed and have since been
replaced) but from the looks of the final instant mahsed potatoes
product, I decided I'd wait for 'real' mashed potatoes to make the
croquettes. Instant (mashed) potatoes has it place, and I almost always
have some at hand.

Now the nutmeg!!!! I'll have to remember that. I really like nutmeg,
and its inclusion makes sense to me. Thanks for the heads-up. I will
use panko crumbs for the breading.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 07:09:03 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

> Instant (mashed) potatoes has it place,

Begs the question.....where? The only thing I use the flakes for is
an additive for bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 7, 8:16 pm, Sky > wrote:
>. . . I had read the Gourmet recipe a week or
> two prior visiting the italian restaurant and had a good idea what they
> were, so I ordered the pork tenderloin dinner which included the
> croquettes (and brocolli, that I requested on a separate plate for my
> fellow diners to eat and share instead of me).

Croquettes are much tastier than fritters. Thanks for the tip. Your
brocolli strategy is a little distracting. I'm guessing that you
dislike it, but the idea of sharing veggies with one's tablemates is
intriguing. My young son came close but he was throwing the odious
side dishes and by the time that behavior was corrected he had decided
that he liked them. Now he shares only when he's dining with the needy
who will accept any comestible so long as it isn't baloney.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

stark wrote:

> On Aug 7, 8:16 pm, Sky > wrote:
> >. . . I had read the Gourmet recipe a week or
> > two prior visiting the italian restaurant and had a good idea what they
> > were, so I ordered the pork tenderloin dinner which included the
> > croquettes (and brocolli, that I requested on a separate plate for my
> > fellow diners to eat and share instead of me).

> Croquettes are much tastier than fritters. Thanks for the tip. Your
> brocolli strategy is a little distracting. I'm guessing that you
> dislike it, but the idea of sharing veggies with one's tablemates is
> intriguing. My young son came close but he was throwing the odious
> side dishes and by the time that behavior was corrected he had decided
> that he liked them. Now he shares only when he's dining with the needy
> who will accept any comestible so long as it isn't baloney.

I very strongly dislike brocolli, but I didn't want it to go to waste.
Yes, I could've requested, "No brocolli, please." But when I asked my
dining companions prior to giving our orders to the waitress, they said
they'd like to have some brocolli. So, my fellow diners enjoyed their
portions instead of me foregoing said vegetable altogether.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Billy wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 07:09:03 -0500, Sky >
> wrote:
>
> > Instant (mashed) potatoes has it place,

> Begs the question.....where? The only thing I use the flakes for is
> an additive for bread.

Where? Why, as a last resort, of course

Sky, who'd rather the 'real stuff' anywho

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky > wrote in
:

> Billy wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 07:09:03 -0500, Sky >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Instant (mashed) potatoes has it place,

>> Begs the question.....where? The only thing I use the flakes for is
>> an additive for bread.

> Where? Why, as a last resort, of course
>
> Sky, who'd rather the 'real stuff' anywho

When I make clam chowder I use instant potatoes

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 16:35:32 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>When I make clam chowder I use instant potatoes

adding: to thicken it

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote in
> news:AaidnQeqX9y1MQbVnZ2dnUVZ_uCdnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:
>
>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...QUETTES-243269

> I like my croquettes more smashed than mashed. I think the cooked potato
> should go thru a coarse meat grinder or a potato ricer and not be too
> mashed. I feel mashed too almost whipped potato state is not good for mouth
> feel in a croquette.
>
> I also prefer corn meal to panko on croquettes.

I've had cream croquettes which seem to be almost a thick custard and
hamburger croquettes which almost had the consistency of a squished
meatball. Anything is possible as far as texture and consistency goes it
seems. A corn meal coating sounds good. How about crushed corn flakes or
crushed potato chips? I'm hungry. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> The August 2008 issue of Gourmet magazine has an interesting recipe
> called -- guess what it is <G> ---
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...QUETTES-243269
> -- <G> This recipe really intrigues me.
>

> Has anyone made potato croquettes before? Any hints, tips or tricks? I
> have some mashed potatoes that I made last night and want to try to make
> these.
>
> Sky, who enjoys discussions about food ;D

Very Dutch! Great snack food as well as a good thing to go with roast
meat.

Here is a Dutch recipe (in translation ):

3 lbs potatoes
3 egg yolks
1 egg
flour
breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste
nutmeg

Cook and mash the potatoes, let cool and add the egg yolks.
Mix well and add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Use a pastry bag with a large tip to pipe long 'strings' or cylinders
onto aluminium foil and refrigerate.
Cut the strings into desired size. Roll them in flour, dip them in
beaten egg and roll in the breadcrumbs.
Refrigerate until ready to cook. Deep fry (175 C) until golden brown and
crisp.

Eet smakelijk!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Arri London wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> >
> > The August 2008 issue of Gourmet magazine has an interesting recipe
> > called -- guess what it is <G> ---
> > http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...QUETTES-243269
> > -- <G> This recipe really intrigues me.
> >

> > Has anyone made potato croquettes before? Any hints, tips or tricks? I
> > have some mashed potatoes that I made last night and want to try to make
> > these.
> >
> > Sky, who enjoys discussions about food ;D
> >

> Very Dutch! Great snack food as well as a good thing to go with roast
> meat.
>
> Here is a Dutch recipe (in translation ):
>
> 3 lbs potatoes
> 3 egg yolks
> 1 egg
> flour
> breadcrumbs
> salt and pepper to taste
> nutmeg
>
> Cook and mash the potatoes, let cool and add the egg yolks.
> Mix well and add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
> Use a pastry bag with a large tip to pipe long 'strings' or cylinders
> onto aluminium foil and refrigerate.
> Cut the strings into desired size. Roll them in flour, dip them in
> beaten egg and roll in the breadcrumbs.
> Refrigerate until ready to cook. Deep fry (175 C) until golden brown and
> crisp.
>

> Eet smakelijk!

Thanks for sharing this recipe, Arri. I've saved it for future use.
Tonight, I'm in the middle (as of this moment) making a different
version of potato croquettes. I've added some shredded extra sharp
cheddar cheese and crumbled cooked bacon. I'll dunk the croquettes in
an egg wash and coat with panko crumbs, then cook in some oil in a
skillet. Don't know they'll turn out, but I'll report back afterwards
;>

Sky, who likes to experiment

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 22:09:27 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>Thanks for sharing this recipe, Arri. I've saved it for future use.

<SNIP>
>;>
>
>Sky, who likes to experiment

The first recipe didn't interest me, but this one did .... so get on
it GIRL!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote in :

> Sky wrote:
>>
>> The August 2008 issue of Gourmet magazine has an interesting recipe
>> called -- guess what it is <G> ---
>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...QUETTES-243269
>> -- <G> This recipe really intrigues me.
>>

>> Has anyone made potato croquettes before? Any hints, tips or tricks?

>> have some mashed potatoes that I made last night and want to try to

make
>> these.
>>
>> Sky, who enjoys discussions about food ;D
>>

> Very Dutch! Great snack food as well as a good thing to go with roast
> meat.
>
> Here is a Dutch recipe (in translation ):
>
> 3 lbs potatoes
> 3 egg yolks
> 1 egg
> flour
> breadcrumbs
> salt and pepper to taste
> nutmeg
>
> Cook and mash the potatoes, let cool and add the egg yolks.
> Mix well and add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
> Use a pastry bag with a large tip to pipe long 'strings' or cylinders
> onto aluminium foil and refrigerate.
> Cut the strings into desired size. Roll them in flour, dip them in
> beaten egg and roll in the breadcrumbs.
> Refrigerate until ready to cook. Deep fry (175 C) until golden brown and
> crisp.
>

> Eet smakelijk!

All fine and good; but I like garlic and onion powder instead of using
nutmeg.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in :

> On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 16:35:32 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>>When I make clam chowder I use instant potatoes

> adding: to thicken it

I also make a vadillia onion chowder where mashed potatoes and instant
potatoes play a big part.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > Sky wrote:
> >>
> >> The August 2008 issue of Gourmet magazine has an interesting recipe
> >> called -- guess what it is <G> ---
> >> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...QUETTES-243269
> >> -- <G> This recipe really intrigues me.
> >>

> >> Has anyone made potato croquettes before? Any hints, tips or tricks?

> >> have some mashed potatoes that I made last night and want to try to

> make
> >> these.
> >>
> >> Sky, who enjoys discussions about food ;D
> >>

> > Very Dutch! Great snack food as well as a good thing to go with roast
> > meat.
> >
> > Here is a Dutch recipe (in translation ):
> >
> > 3 lbs potatoes
> > 3 egg yolks
> > 1 egg
> > flour
> > breadcrumbs
> > salt and pepper to taste
> > nutmeg
> >
> > Cook and mash the potatoes, let cool and add the egg yolks.
> > Mix well and add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
> > Use a pastry bag with a large tip to pipe long 'strings' or cylinders
> > onto aluminium foil and refrigerate.
> > Cut the strings into desired size. Roll them in flour, dip them in
> > beaten egg and roll in the breadcrumbs.
> > Refrigerate until ready to cook. Deep fry (175 C) until golden brown and
> > crisp.
> >

> > Eet smakelijk!
> >

> All fine and good; but I like garlic and onion powder instead of using
> nutmeg.

You of course are free to season them to your own taste. This recipe is
reasonably traditional and simple to make.

Meat croquettes are a little more complicated but not too much
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 22:09:27 -0500, Sky >
> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for sharing this recipe, Arri. I've saved it for future use.

> <SNIP>
>
>>;>
>>
>>Sky, who likes to experiment

> The first recipe didn't interest me, but this one did .... so get on
> it GIRL!

Escoffier lists a few potato croquettes but his big section on them uses
a thick sauce to bind the ingredients, commonly, mushrooms, ham, tongue,
truffle, pasta, poultry, game, fish and/or shell fish, which are then
floured, egged and bread crumbed and either fried in butter or deep fried.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 22:09:27 -0500, Sky >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Thanks for sharing this recipe, Arri. I've saved it for future use.

> > <SNIP>
> >
> >>;>
> >>
> >>Sky, who likes to experiment

> > The first recipe didn't interest me, but this one did .... so get on
> > it GIRL!
> >

> Escoffier lists a few potato croquettes but his big section on them uses
> a thick sauce to bind the ingredients, commonly, mushrooms, ham, tongue,
> truffle, pasta, poultry, game, fish and/or shell fish, which are then
> floured, egged and bread crumbed and either fried in butter or deep fried.
> --
> JL

Meat croquettes do need a sauce to bind them; potatoes are starchy
enough to hold together with just the eggs.

Potato Croquettes - How Dare Ye Crumble! Damaeus[_3_] General Cooking 5 26-03-2010 02:40 PM
Egg Croquettes kuyabayu Recipes 1 07-07-2009 06:27 PM
Ham Croquettes Chef R W Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 28-04-2007 04:04 PM
Russian Potato and Mushroom Croquettes Susan Puckett Recipes (moderated) 0 04-03-2005 05:28 AM
Turkey and Sweet-Potato Croquettes with Cranberry Apple Salsa Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 03-12-2004 01:34 PM