Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Your grandmother

OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:

What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:

Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter cheese
Pascha, Rice Pilaf
Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:32:40 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
>What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
>Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
>Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter cheese
>Pascha, Rice Pilaf
>Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>
>Dimitri

I answered your post before you posted this.

My paternal grandmother (southern): Sweet potato pie and yeast rolls.
Fried chicken. Wine jelly.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter cheese
> Pascha, Rice Pilaf
> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.

My grandmother used to make a type of oatmeal cookies that we rolled out and cut
with cookie cutters with date filling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote:

> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter cheese
> Pascha, Rice Pilaf
> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.

None of the above.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 13, 5:32*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:

One of the grandmothers raised rabbits in pens in the backyard. Sold
the pelts and fried the rabbit. I liked it better than fried
chicken. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter
> cheese Pascha, Rice Pilaf
> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>
> Dimitri

My grandmother never cooked.

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter
> cheese Pascha, Rice Pilaf
> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>
> Dimitri

My grandma used to make chick and homemade noodels. I miss them. And her.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:

The only meatloaf I've ever had was made
by my father's mother. I never knew my
mother's mother, because she died when
I was about four or five. There is a picture
of her holding me when I was baby, but I
think that was the only time we ever met.

My grandmother's meatloaf, as I recall,
was palatable. But I've never been tempted
to make one myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jul 2008 05:32:40p, Dimitri told us...

> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter
> cheese Pascha, Rice Pilaf
> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>
> Dimitri

Amalgamation Cake, Fresh Orange Cake, Fresh Coconut Cake, Chicken and
Dumplings, Cornbread Dressing, Tomato Dressing, Banana Ice Cream...

I have all of her recipes and they turn out well, but there's always
something "missing" because *she* didn't make them.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 07(VII)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jul 2008 05:40:33p, Christine Dabney told us...

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:32:40 -0700, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>>OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>>
>>What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>>
>>Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
>>Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter
>>cheese Pascha, Rice Pilaf
>>Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>>
>>Dimitri

> I answered your post before you posted this.
>
> My paternal grandmother (southern): Sweet potato pie and yeast rolls.
> Fried chicken. Wine jelly.
>
> Christine

Oh, I forgot about my grandmother's Sweet Potato Pie. I should have added
that to my list.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 07(VII)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
If you can't see the fnords, they
can't eat you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter
> cheese Pascha, Rice Pilaf
> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>
> Dimitri

I got the recipe for the the Easter cheese from my grandmother before she
died, and now I get to make it every year. My mom, aunt, and uncle always
say "it tastes just like Grandmom's!"
She also made killer nut rolls and little cream cheese dough turnover
cookies filled with lekvar or almond paste, I forget what they are called.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:

Chum.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:

English: Hot cross buns, which it seems she was always just taking out of
the oven when we arrived at her home on Good Friday for the Easter holidays.
Since we were driving from New York to Washington DC, and since she was
baking on a wood stove, I never could figure out how she pulled it off.

Italian: Pasta sauce, which she somehow was "just making" if, as a small
child who lived four houses away, I called her when I came home from school
and didn't like what was on the menu at home.

Ain't grandmother's grand?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
6.120...
> On Sun 13 Jul 2008 05:32:40p, Dimitri told us...
>
>> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>>
>> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>>
>> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
>> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter
>> cheese Pascha, Rice Pilaf
>> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>>
>> Dimitri

> Amalgamation Cake, Fresh Orange Cake, Fresh Coconut Cake, Chicken and
> Dumplings, Cornbread Dressing, Tomato Dressing, Banana Ice Cream...
>
> I have all of her recipes and they turn out well, but there's always
> something "missing" because *she* didn't make them.

Amalgamation Cake?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Meatloaf is so easy! lb ground beef,chop some onions, salt and pepper,
little Oregano and basil 1 egg, bread crumbs, push together in form of
loaf, cover w. wax paperr. put in microwave fo about 15 min. You got
meatlaf!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jul 2008 07:49:13p, Felice told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 6.120...
>> On Sun 13 Jul 2008 05:32:40p, Dimitri told us...
>>
>>> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>>>
>>> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>>>
>>> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
>>> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter
>>> cheese Pascha, Rice Pilaf
>>> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> Amalgamation Cake, Fresh Orange Cake, Fresh Coconut Cake, Chicken and
>> Dumplings, Cornbread Dressing, Tomato Dressing, Banana Ice Cream...
>>
>> I have all of her recipes and they turn out well, but there's always
>> something "missing" because *she* didn't make them.

> Amalgamation Cake?
>
> Felice

I'll have to dig for the paper recipe if you want it, as I've never put it
on computer.

Essentilly, it is a 3-layer white cake lightly flavored with vanilla and
almond extract. The filling is made from milk, sugar, and butter, that is
cooked to the soft ball stage. Into that mixture is stirred coarsely
broken pecans, dark raisins, coconut, crushed pineapple, and vanilla
extract.

The filling goes between the layers and on top. The sides are frosting
with an egg white beaten stiff with granulated sugar.

There are recipes on the web where the filling contains a high proportion
of egg yolk. This is *not* the way my grandmother made it, and I don't
like those versions.

Let me know if you'd like my grandmother's recipe. I'll be happy to look
it up, type it up, and post it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 07(VII)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Everything in excess! To enjoy the
flavor of life, take big bites.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
>What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
>Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
>Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter cheese
>Pascha, Rice Pilaf
>Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>
>Dimitri

Mom's mom...
PIES - her crust was to die for (mine will never be like hers)
my favorite fillings were rhubarb and currant (not together) both were
home grown in grandpa's garden
chicken and rice

Dad's Mom
Swedish "dollar" pancakes with lingonberry sauce
pork tenderloin medallions in a sherry and sour cream sauce
cucumbers in sweet & sour vinegar

Mom's dad made the BEST baked beans ever!

breakfast was a man's job

Mom's dad made steel cut oats, the double boiler method

Dad's stepdad cooked on a wood fired stove in the winter so we'd know
how he grew up
smoked sausage and eggs
fried mush served up with butter and maple syrup (YUM!)

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:40:33 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:32:40 -0700, "Dimitri" >
>wrote:
>
>>OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>>
>>What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>>
>>Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
>>Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter cheese
>>Pascha, Rice Pilaf
>>Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>>
>>Dimitri

>I answered your post before you posted this.
>
>My paternal grandmother (southern): Sweet potato pie and yeast rolls.
>Fried chicken. Wine jelly.

Oh, you reminded me... Dads mom made strawberry jam using the Ball
recipe for freezer Jam. It was delicious and tasted just like fresh
picked strawberries. I could probably do it too, but I've never
tried. It's nice just to think about it and her. Maybe I'll do it
next year and make some memories for my grandson.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
>What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
>Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
>Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter cheese
>Pascha, Rice Pilaf
>Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.

Nanaw made wonderful cornbread dressing. And dark roux gravy to make
the dressing better. But that was holiday food. With day-to-day
cooking, I'd say her blackberry cobblers were a knockout.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:32:40 -0700, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>>OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>>
>>What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>>
>>Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
>>Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter
>>cheese Pascha, Rice Pilaf
>>Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>>

> Nanaw made wonderful cornbread dressing. And dark roux gravy to make
> the dressing better. But that was holiday food. With day-to-day
> cooking, I'd say her blackberry cobblers were a knockout.
> --
>
> modom

But here's the important question...Did she wear army boots?

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter
> cheese Pascha, Rice Pilaf
> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>
> Dimitri

I would like to borrow yours. My English one died years before I was born,
and although the French one survived into my childhood, rearing many
children wore her out so the remaining ones at home cooked when we visited.
My mother, however, being no one's fool, watched and measured everything as
my GM cooked and wrote it down so that we ate GM's cookery once removed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter cheese
> Pascha, Rice Pilaf
> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.

Spice fingers. We'd probably call them Linzer Squares or something
these days.

Should see if one of my aunties has the recipe.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter
> cheese Pascha, Rice Pilaf
> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>
> Dimitri

Unfortunately, I never knew either of my grandmothers; both died before I
was born. Mom's Mom died when she was only 9 y/o, so she doesn't remember
much about Grandma's cooking either. Must be nice to have such great
memories, tho'.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"dejablues" > wrote:

> I got the recipe for the the Easter cheese from my grandmother before she
> died, and now I get to make it every year. My mom, aunt, and uncle always
> say "it tastes just like Grandmom's!"
> She also made killer nut rolls and little cream cheese dough turnover
> cookies filled with lekvar or almond paste, I forget what they are called.

Sounds maybe like a version of kolachky.
How is your "Easter cheese" made?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
rec.food.cooking
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 14 Jul 2008 05:16:44a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article >,
> "dejablues" > wrote:
>
>> I got the recipe for the the Easter cheese from my grandmother before
>> she died, and now I get to make it every year. My mom, aunt, and
>> uncle always say "it tastes just like Grandmom's!"
>> She also made killer nut rolls and little cream cheese dough turnover
>> cookies filled with lekvar or almond paste, I forget what they are
>> called.

> Sounds maybe like a version of kolachky.

Yes, it does, indeed. Several of my friends back in Ohio use a cream
cheese dough for their kolachky. Most of them use fillings of lekvar,
thick apricot or raspberry jam, or a nut/sugar/egg whie mixture.

> How is your "Easter cheese" made?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 07(VII)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)
Death benefits = oxymoron.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Yes, it does, indeed. Several of my friends back in Ohio use a cream
> cheese dough for their kolachky. Most of them use fillings of lekvar,
> thick apricot or raspberry jam, or a nut/sugar/egg whie mixture.

Mom's nut filling was wonderful. She made a soft meringue and folded in
ground walnuts and a little vanilla. She used the same filling in her
nut rolls.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
rec.food.cooking
Preserved Fruit Administrator
"Always in a jam. Never in a stew." - Evergene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 14 Jul 2008 05:44:12a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Yes, it does, indeed. Several of my friends back in Ohio use a cream
>> cheese dough for their kolachky. Most of them use fillings of lekvar,
>> thick apricot or raspberry jam, or a nut/sugar/egg whie mixture.

> Mom's nut filling was wonderful. She made a soft meringue and folded in
> ground walnuts and a little vanilla. She used the same filling in her
> nut rolls.

I bet that's how they made theirs. Old Slovak families, so traditions are
similar I imagine. When I've made kolachky, I've only used lekvar and
jams. I should try the nut filling this Christmas.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 07(VII)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)
Cats need to be petted *every* time
the cat eats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter
> cheese Pascha, Rice Pilaf
> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>
> Dimitri

Salmon with "succulent sauce". I need to find that recipe!!!!!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Your grandmother's Amalgation Cake

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
6.120...
> On Sun 13 Jul 2008 07:49:13p, Felice told us...

>> Amalgamation Cake?
>>
>> Felice

> I'll have to dig for the paper recipe if you want it, as I've never put it
> on computer.
>
> Essentilly, it is a 3-layer white cake lightly flavored with vanilla and
> almond extract. The filling is made from milk, sugar, and butter, that is
> cooked to the soft ball stage. Into that mixture is stirred coarsely
> broken pecans, dark raisins, coconut, crushed pineapple, and vanilla
> extract.
>
> The filling goes between the layers and on top. The sides are frosting
> with an egg white beaten stiff with granulated sugar.
>
> There are recipes on the web where the filling contains a high proportion
> of egg yolk. This is *not* the way my grandmother made it, and I don't
> like those versions.
>
> Let me know if you'd like my grandmother's recipe. I'll be happy to look
> it up, type it up, and post it.

Thanks, Wayne, but you've given me enough of a description that I don't need
the recipe. This sounds very much like a cake I recall from days of yore,
but I think that had a different name.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most

When my father's mother was visiting, she would wait until my mother was
out of the house. Then she'd make hamentaschen with my brother and me.
By the time my non-baking mother got home, the entire operation would
be done, kitchen cleaned and only the cookies remaining.

Grandma encouraged creativity. She'd made the standard tri-cornered
ones with lekvar filling. My brother and I made sculptured cookies with
filling, layers, rounds, shapes, little turnovers, the works.

I wish I had the recipe. My aunt remembers that her mother liked Mazola
oil. I know the dough had a lot of eggs in it. (I hated eggs so much
that I was grossed out watching them go into the dough. I had to leave
the room until the flour went in.)

I know my maternal grandmother must have cooked at some point, but I
don't recall what. Plain broiled chicken comes to mind, but the memory
is murky.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote on Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:25:57 -0400:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 6.120...
>> On Sun 13 Jul 2008 07:49:13p, Felice told us...

>>> Amalgamation Cake?
>>>
>>> Felice

>> I'll have to dig for the paper recipe if you want it, as I've
>> never put it on computer.
>>
>> Essentilly, it is a 3-layer white cake lightly flavored with vanilla
>> and almond extract. The filling is made from milk,
>> sugar, and butter, that is cooked to the soft ball stage. Into that
>> mixture is stirred coarsely broken pecans, dark
>> raisins, coconut, crushed pineapple, and vanilla extract.
>>
>> The filling goes between the layers and on top. The sides
>> are frosting with an egg white beaten stiff with granulated
>> sugar.
>>
>> There are recipes on the web where the filling contains a
>> high proportion of egg yolk. This is *not* the way my
>> grandmother made it, and I don't like those versions.
>>
>> Let me know if you'd like my grandmother's recipe. I'll be
>> happy to look it up, type it up, and post it.

> Thanks, Wayne, but you've given me enough of a description
> that I don't need the recipe. This sounds very much like a
> cake I recall from days of yore, but I think that had a
> different name.

Interesting name! There are recipes available by googling but no
indication why it is called "Amalgamation Cake". Does any know if it
commemorates some historical occasion?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>
> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter cheese
> Pascha, Rice Pilaf
> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>
> Dimitri

Never met the paternal grandparents so no help there.
On the maternal side, all the usual classic German, Swiss and Dutch
dishes she made as home cooking. My mother never learnt to make most of
them, so having to rediscover them on my own. We have cookbooks from
Germany and the Netherlands but nothing from any part of Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:17:52 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>Interesting name! There are recipes available by googling but no
>indication why it is called "Amalgamation Cake". Does any know if it
>commemorates some historical occasion?

I think the name commemorates what it is, James. It's an amalgam of
ingredients.

amalgamate: to unite in or as if in an amalgam; especially : to merge
into a single body

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>
> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:

I didn't know my maternal grandmother, but I love the foods my mom makes
that she learned from her mother.

I only met my paternal grandmother a few times, and she was a terror.
The only thing she ever cooked was some seven-layer brownies one time.
They were good.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 22:49:13 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
86.120...
>> On Sun 13 Jul 2008 05:32:40p, Dimitri told us...
>>
>>> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>>>
>>> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most:
>>>
>>> Russian Stroganoff, Stuffed Cabbage,
>>> Greek Avgolemano soup, Loukomathes, cutlets & Greek/Russian Easter
>>> cheese Pascha, Rice Pilaf
>>> Step Grandmother - Pasta Sauce, Spaghetti Carbonara, & Gnocchi.
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> Amalgamation Cake, Fresh Orange Cake, Fresh Coconut Cake, Chicken and
>> Dumplings, Cornbread Dressing, Tomato Dressing, Banana Ice Cream...
>>
>> I have all of her recipes and they turn out well, but there's always
>> something "missing" because *she* didn't make them.

>Amalgamation Cake?
>
>Felice

sounds like something you'd make for some kind of borg celebration.

your pal,
six of half-a-dozen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
6.120...

<snip>

>> Amalgamation Cake?
>>
>> Felice

> I'll have to dig for the paper recipe if you want it, as I've never put it
> on computer.
>
> Essentilly, it is a 3-layer white cake lightly flavored with vanilla and
> almond extract. The filling is made from milk, sugar, and butter, that is
> cooked to the soft ball stage. Into that mixture is stirred coarsely
> broken pecans, dark raisins, coconut, crushed pineapple, and vanilla
> extract.
>
> The filling goes between the layers and on top. The sides are frosting
> with an egg white beaten stiff with granulated sugar.
>
> There are recipes on the web where the filling contains a high proportion
> of egg yolk. This is *not* the way my grandmother made it, and I don't
> like those versions.
>
> Let me know if you'd like my grandmother's recipe. I'll be happy to look
> it up, type it up, and post it.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Will this help: These are all in my data base as Amalgamation Cakes;

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

# 1

--CAKE:--

3/4 c. butter
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 (16 oz.) jar strawberry preserves
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. flour

--TOPPING:--

4 egg yolks
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter
1 pkg. pecans
1 pkg. coconut
Evaporated milk to thin

Mix all cake ingredients by hand in the order given. Bake in 2 or 3 round
cake pans that have been greased and floured at 350 degrees for 30 to 35
minutes; cool. FOR TOPPING: Mix together in 2-quart saucepan, egg
yolks, sugar and butter. Cook on low heat until glossy, adding small
amounts of evaporated milk to thin to an icing consistency. Add pecans and
coconut. Layer topping on first cake then on top; be sure to let it drip
down and over the sides. 1/2 cup raisins are optional and can be added to
the cake mix - 1 cup optional added to topping.

# 2

CAKE:
2 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. shortening
3 1/2 c. plain flour
6 egg whites (beat first)
5 tsp. baking powder
1 c. milk,
1/2 c. boiling water
2 tsp. vanilla flavoring

Cream shortening and 2 cups sugar, mix and sift flour and baking powder;
add alternately with the milk to the creamed mixture. Beat the egg whites
until stiff and fold in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Fold this into batter,
then add 1/2 cup of boiling water. Add flavoring. Bake in slow 350 degree
oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Makes 4 to 5 layers.FILLING:
9 egg yolks
2 c. sugar
1 c. coconut water (or water)
2 c. grated coconut
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. raisins
1 lb. butter

Bring sugar and water to a boil, in a heavy pan. Set off stove and add
butter. Beat egg yolks and add to sugar mixture. Cook over low heat until
thick, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool. Add remaining ingredients. Stack.

# 3

9 egg yolks
2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. milk
1/4 lb. butter (or oleo)
1 box raisins
1 1/2 c. mixed nuts (I use pecans and
1 c. English walnuts)
1 big coconut, grated

Beat egg yolks well. Then add sugar, milk, and oleo. Mix well. Cook on
medium heat until thickened slightly. Add raisins and nuts. Cook until
thick. Add coconut last. Heat well. Louise says that Granny (Georgia
Schumpert Armstrong) used 1 cup of pecans and 1/2 cup of scalybarks or
hickory nuts when she made the filling.BATTER;
3 eggs (or 9 egg whites)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. milk
2 tsp. baking powder
2 1/2 c. plain flour
1 tsp. flavoring
1/2 c. Crisco

Cream sugar and Crisco well. Add eggs. Then mix milk, flour, and baking
powder. Add flavoring. Bake at 325 degrees. Makes 3 nine inch layers.

# 4

From the recipe book of Ruby Armstrong Posey.BATTER:
8 egg whites
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. shortening (if butter, 1 c.)
4 c. flour (presifted)
4 level tsp. baking powder
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt

Cream shortening and sugar. Add flour and milk alternately (having sifted
flour and baking powder together two or three times.) Add vanilla. Fold in
stiffly-beaten egg whites. Bake at 375 degrees until cake falls away from
sides of pans. Makes three layers.FILLING:
8 egg yolks
1 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 c. white Karo
1 c. raisins
1 c. pecans
2 c. coconut

# 5

1 white cake mix

FILLING:
8 egg yolks
2 c. sugar
2 sticks margarine
1 sm. can crushed pineapple
1 1/2 c. raisins
1 c. coconut
1 c. pecans

Cook cake mix according to directions. Make 3 layers. Filling: Melt
margarine. Add sugar and beaten egg yolks before it gets too hot. Cook
slowly on low heat until thickened. Add raisins, pineapple, cooking all
along. When it seems thick enough to spread, add coconut and nuts. Cook
another few minutes. Spread over layers.

# 6

1 c. Crisco
3 c. flour
1 c. sweet milk
8 egg whites
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder

Cream sugar and Crisco. Add milk, flour and baking powder. Beat egg
white stiff and add to batter. Beat well. Bake in layer cake pans, 4
layers.FILLING:
1/2 lb. butter
8 egg yolks
2 c. sugar
1 c. white raisins
1 c. pecans
1 c. coconut
Juice from 2 lemons

Cream butter and sugar, add the egg yolks beaten well and the lemon juice.
Cook in double boiler until thick. Cool. Add fruit and nuts and spread in
layers.

# 7

2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. butter
2 tsp. baking soda
6 eggs
4 c. flour
1 c. ground raisins
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. allspice
1 tbsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. buttermilk
1 pt. seedless blackberry jam

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients, then add beaten
eggs, butter, buttermilk, and jam. Bake in a floured, greased cake pan for
about 1 hour.FILLING:
8 egg yolks
2 c. ground raisins
2 c. grated coconut
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter
2 c. sugar
2 c. chopped pecans
1 c. evaporated milk

Mix sugar, salt, butter, milk and egg yolks in a double boiler and cook
for 30 minutes. Add raisins, coconut and pecans. Spread over cooled cake.
Excellent for Christmas holidays.

# 8

2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. shortening
1 c. buttermilk
2 tsp. soda
4 c. flour, sifted
6 whole eggs, unbeaten
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. allspice
1 tbsp. cloves
1 pt. jam or preserves
1 c. raisins

FILLING:
8 egg yolks
1 1/2 c. margarine
2 c. sugar
2 c. coconut
2 c. chopped nuts
2 c. ground raisins (or finely
chopped)

Cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs, buttermilk, jam, raisins and dry
ingredients; beat as for any layer cake. Bake at 375 degrees for about 35
minutes. Makes 4 layers. (Instead of a 4 layer cake you can make 2, 2
layer ones or 1 two layer and a sheet cake.) Let layers cool then put
filling between layers and on top. Filling: Cook egg yolks, butter and
sugar in double boiler until thick. Beat until cool. Stir in the coconut,
raisins and nuts. Note: It takes up to 24 hours for the filling to set so
you may have to keep putting it back on the cake from time to time until it
does set. This cake can be kept in refrigerator for several weeks or
frozen.

END

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 14 Jul 2008 11:21:00a, Dimitri told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 6.120...
>
> <snip>
>

>>> Amalgamation Cake?
>>>
>>> Felice

>> I'll have to dig for the paper recipe if you want it, as I've never put

it
>> on computer.
>>
>> Essentilly, it is a 3-layer white cake lightly flavored with vanilla and
>> almond extract. The filling is made from milk, sugar, and butter, that

is
>> cooked to the soft ball stage. Into that mixture is stirred coarsely
>> broken pecans, dark raisins, coconut, crushed pineapple, and vanilla
>> extract.
>>
>> The filling goes between the layers and on top. The sides are frosting
>> with an egg white beaten stiff with granulated sugar.
>>
>> There are recipes on the web where the filling contains a high

proportion
>> of egg yolk. This is *not* the way my grandmother made it, and I don't
>> like those versions.
>>
>> Let me know if you'd like my grandmother's recipe. I'll be happy to

look
>> it up, type it up, and post it.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

> Will this help: These are all in my data base as Amalgamation Cakes;

Thanks for posting these, Dimitri. Actually, I do have her recipe, but
it's in a binder rather than on the PC. Scanning through the recipes you
posted, the cake part is quite similar to some of those, but the filling is
distinctly different, in that it has absolutely no egg yolk or white in it.

I will check it out tonight and post my grandmother's recipe.

Thanks again!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 07(VII)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)
If only women came with pulldown menus
and online help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 14 Jul 2008 09:45:34a, told us...

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:17:52 GMT, "James Silverton"
> > wrote:
>
>>Interesting name! There are recipes available by googling but no
>>indication why it is called "Amalgamation Cake". Does any know if it
>>commemorates some historical occasion?

> I think the name commemorates what it is, James. It's an amalgam of
> ingredients.
>
> amalgamate: to unite in or as if in an amalgam; especially : to merge
> into a single body

I think you're right, Barbara.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 07(VII)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)
If only women came with pulldown menus
and online help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
6.120...
> On Mon 14 Jul 2008 11:21:00a, Dimitri told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> 6.120...
>>
>> <snip>

> Thanks for posting these, Dimitri. Actually, I do have her recipe, but
> it's in a binder rather than on the PC. Scanning through the recipes you
> posted, the cake part is quite similar to some of those, but the filling
> is
> distinctly different, in that it has absolutely no egg yolk or white in
> it.
>
> I will check it out tonight and post my grandmother's recipe.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

You're welcome.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>> OK the "Who taught you to cook" post got me thinking:
>>
>> What did your grandmother cook that you miss the most

> When my father's mother was visiting, she would wait until my mother was
> out of the house. Then she'd make hamentaschen with my brother and me. By
> the time my non-baking mother got home, the entire operation would be
> done, kitchen cleaned and only the cookies remaining.
>

> Grandma encouraged creativity. She'd made the standard tri-cornered ones
> with lekvar filling. My brother and I made sculptured cookies with
> filling, layers, rounds, shapes, little turnovers, the works.
>

> I wish I had the recipe. My aunt remembers that her mother liked Mazola
> oil. I know the dough had a lot of eggs in it. (I hated eggs so much
> that I was grossed out watching them go into the dough. I had to leave
> the room until the flour went in.)
>

> I know my maternal grandmother must have cooked at some point, but I don't
> recall what. Plain broiled chicken comes to mind, but the memory is
> murky.
>

> --Lia

I used to watch my mom cook but she never let us get involved. I basically
taught myself. Even though I still make things she did. Mom got to be a
lousy cook in old age. I wouldn't eat anything she made.

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN