Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Methods for Filtering Cooking Oil

I'm new to occasional deep-frying and everyone recommends cheese
cloth
or coffee filters, and I've tried to coffee filter method with a
funnel but the process is so slow and the funnel only holds so much
so
I have to keep coming back every ten minutes to pour some more oil
in. Does anybody have any good ideas ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 11, 12:33*pm, Jeffy3 > wrote:
> I'm new to occasional deep-frying and everyone recommends cheese
> cloth
> or coffee filters, and I've tried to coffee filter method with a
> funnel but the process is so slow and the funnel only holds so much
> so
> I have to keep coming back every ten minutes to pour some more oil
> in. * *Does anybody have any good ideas ?

It's a trade-off, isn't it? The filter that removes the most
impurities will be the slowest, while faster filtering will let more
pass through. I use a couple of layers of cheesecloth in a strainer,
which is the compromise that seems to work for me. -aem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-07-11, Jeffy3 > wrote:

> I have to keep coming back every ten minutes to pour some more oil
> in. Does anybody have any good ideas ?

You can go to a restaurant supply store and get what amounts to a BIGGER
coffee filter. Yes, restaurants filter their oil, too. They have big ol'
filters and holder that will hold a couple liters or oil. I'm sure they
still have to refill the filter just like you, as their fryers hold tens of
gallons.

Be glad you don't have filter Fomblin vacuum pump oil, which is about the
same viscosity as corn syrup. We had to filter it in coffee thingies and it
would take overnight for one fill. We had little choice. The stuff was
about $400 liter!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 3:38*pm, aem > wrote:
> On Jul 11, 12:33*pm, Jeffy3 > wrote:
>
> > I'm new to occasional deep-frying and everyone recommends cheese
> > cloth
> > or coffee filters, and I've tried to coffee filter method with a
> > funnel but the process is so slow and the funnel only holds so much
> > so
> > I have to keep coming back every ten minutes to pour some more oil
> > in. * *Does anybody have any good ideas ?

> It's a trade-off, isn't it? *The filter that removes the most
> impurities will be the slowest, while faster filtering will let more
> pass through. *I use a couple of layers of cheesecloth in a strainer,
> which is the compromise that seems to work for me. * *-aem.

Thanks, but what do you put underneath the strainer? DO you have a
strainer that fits atop some other object? I am looking for ways to
do a lot of oil without having to stand there

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeffy3 > wrote:
> On Jul 11, 3:38 pm, aem > wrote:
> > On Jul 11, 12:33 pm, Jeffy3 > wrote:
> >
> > It's a trade-off, isn't it? The filter that removes the most
> > impurities will be the slowest, while faster filtering will let more
> > pass through. I use a couple of layers of cheesecloth in a strainer,
> > which is the compromise that seems to work for me. -aem.

> Thanks, but what do you put underneath the strainer? DO you have a
> strainer that fits atop some other object? I am looking for ways to
> do a lot of oil without having to stand there

A big empty coffee can. And a very deep strainer.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> Be glad you don't have filter Fomblin vacuum pump oil, which is about the
> same viscosity as corn syrup. We had to filter it in coffee thingies and it
> would take overnight for one fill. We had little choice. The stuff was
> about $400 liter!

Would things have gone faster if it was filtered reasonably hot? Or was
that an option.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeffy3 wrote:
> I'm new to occasional deep-frying and everyone recommends cheese
> cloth
> or coffee filters, and I've tried to coffee filter method with a
> funnel but the process is so slow and the funnel only holds so much
> so
> I have to keep coming back every ten minutes to pour some more oil
> in. � �Does anybody have any good ideas ?

If you don't mix the foods you deep fry you won't need to filter...
don't use the same oil for chicken and fries as you use for fish...
even commercial establishments don't mix mild foods with strong
flavored foods with the same oil. Commercial filtering systems are
very expensive and are only worthwhile if you're doing that kind of
volume. For home use keep a separate container of oil for french
fries and fritters, and another for chicken, and yet another for
fish. When the potato oil begins to get too funky for fries use it
for chicken then when too funky for chicken it may still be fine for
frying fish. Depending on what foods you fry will dictate how to
rotate your oil. You can still filter out bits of breading, with a
metal strainer, but it's pretty silly to attempt to filter oil with so
fine a mesh that you are trying to make it brand new... the funky
flavor/odor will not filter out no matter how fine the filter, and one
major spill will negate any savings, plus deep frying oil is not all
that expensive. And if you watch your frying temps are not too hot
your oil will last far longer than if you're burning the sediment.
Many folks simply pour the oil into a container that allows the oil to
sit until the sediment settles to the bottom and then carefully pour
the oil back leaving the last inch or so with all the schmutz in the
container to dispose of.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2008-07-11, Jeffy3 > wrote:
>
>> I have to keep coming back every ten minutes to pour some more oil
>> in. Does anybody have any good ideas ?

> You can go to a restaurant supply store and get what amounts to a BIGGER
> coffee filter. Yes, restaurants filter their oil, too. They have big ol'
> filters and holder that will hold a couple liters or oil. I'm sure they
> still have to refill the filter just like you, as their fryers hold tens of
> gallons.
>
> Be glad you don't have filter Fomblin vacuum pump oil, which is about the
> same viscosity as corn syrup. We had to filter it in coffee thingies and it
> would take overnight for one fill. We had little choice. The stuff was
> about $400 liter!

Another option is a couple layers of cheesecloth. I know, it's not very
high-tech.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:38:37 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Jul 11, 12:33*pm, Jeffy3 > wrote:
>> I'm new to occasional deep-frying and everyone recommends cheese
>> cloth
>> or coffee filters, and I've tried to coffee filter method with a
>> funnel but the process is so slow and the funnel only holds so much
>> so
>> I have to keep coming back every ten minutes to pour some more oil
>> in. * *Does anybody have any good ideas ?

>It's a trade-off, isn't it? The filter that removes the most
>impurities will be the slowest, while faster filtering will let more
>pass through. I use a couple of layers of cheesecloth in a strainer,
>which is the compromise that seems to work for me. -aem.

i would try the cheesecloth also.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 5:24Â*pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> Jeffy3 wrote:
> > I'm new to occasional deep-frying and everyone recommends cheese
> > cloth
> > or coffee filters, and I've tried to coffee filter method with a
> > funnel but the process is so slow and the funnel only holds so much
> > so
> > I have to keep coming back every ten minutes to pour some more oil
> > in. � �Does anybody have any good ideas ?

> If you don't mix the foods you deep fry you won't need to filter...
> don't use the same oil for chicken and fries as you use for fish...
> even commercial establishments don't mix mild foods with strong
> flavored foods with the same oil. Â*Commercial filtering systems are
> very expensive and are only worthwhile if you're doing that kind of
> volume. Â*For home use keep a separate container of oil for french
> fries and fritters, and another for chicken, and yet another for
> fish. Â*When the potato oil begins to get too funky for fries use it
> for chicken then when too funky for chicken it may still be fine for
> frying fish. Â*Depending on what foods you fry will dictate how to
> rotate your oil. Â*You can still filter out bits of breading, with a
> metal strainer, but it's pretty silly to attempt to filter oil with so
> fine a mesh that you are trying to make it brand new... the funky
> flavor/odor will not filter out no matter how fine the filter, and one
> major spill will negate any savings, plus deep frying oil is not all
> that expensive. Â*And if you watch your frying temps are not too hot
> your oil will last far longer than if you're burning the sediment.
> Many folks simply pour the oil into a container that allows the oil to
> sit until the sediment settles to the bottom and then carefully pour
> the oil back leaving the last inch or so with all the schmutz in the
> container to dispose of.

Sounds like good advice. I have only used it for wings so far and
don't expect to use it for anything else. The few times I've used our
deep fryer I didn't deal with the oil until the next day and did
notice that most of the debris was at the bottom.