Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Garden Went - WILD

This year I used a large container to plant my herbs. Not a wide selection
because I wasn't sure how everything would spread out. The Basil is growing
tall and bountiful, not just in amount but very flavor-rich. I also have
nice margoram, thyme and a parsley that have developed nicely. I have made
toasted croutons with a bit of olive oil and plenty of fresh the herbs.
Bread Crumbs make too. A turkey with margoram and time in the bird cavity
and with a dressing that matches the flavors.

I added a lemon balm plant on the suggestion of a friend and we have had no
insects at all. I can't tell you if we are just lucky or if the lemon balm
did it. In the big garden we planted our peppers and have bells, chiles,
bananas, jalapeno's.

Our tomatoes and zuchini have proliferated. We have about five different
types of tomatoes and have already had tomatoes from most of them. We did
plant a late fruiting one but all the rest apparent are on steroids. We have
beautiful cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, a golden jubilee, and a beefsteak
are rather producing a like crazy. These tomatoes absolutely are so much
better than last year's and have grown to be more than 5 feet tall. We have
indulged in fried green tomatoes too. Lastly and best, we have had fresh
tomato, basil, a bit of bell pepper, whatever salad green strikes me,
cucumbers and a balsamic vingerette. The toasted croutons and a sprinkle of
feta cheese have topped it off nicely.

Our 8yo son wanted to plant pumpkins. They failed miserably. This year he is
going to have a booming crop. I think he has six on one vine and two on
another.

Ah so, just thrilled that our little garden has paid for itelf this year.
Anyone else harvesting?

Cindi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

HappyMamaTo3 wrote:

> Ah so, just thrilled that our little garden has paid for itelf this
> year. Anyone else harvesting?

Well, I am very happy for you! Me, no beans yet. Actually,
I have bean babies (not to be confused with beanie babies),
they are less than an inch long, but they are at least growing.
I have a few round tomatoes, one is reasonably large, but
green. A number of small romas.

Thank you for the story of your garden.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:34:40 -0700, "HappyMamaTo3"
> wrote:

>Ah so, just thrilled that our little garden has paid for itelf this year.
>Anyone else harvesting?
>
>Cindi

So far all we've got are a few cherries, a handful of currants, but
the blackberries are awesome this year. We picked about 3 pounds over
the weekend. Everything else is just starting to show. The critters
got all the strawberries.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

WHEN GOOD GARDENS GO WILD! Too HOT for TV!

Order now to get the hot-hot-hot bonus DVD -- GARDEN PESTS ON SPRING BREAK

You won't believe what goes on! You won't believe what comes off!

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

HappyMamaTo3 wrote:
> This year I used a large container to plant my herbs. Not a wide selection
> because I wasn't sure how everything would spread out. The Basil is growing
> tall and bountiful, not just in amount but very flavor-rich. I also have
> nice margoram, thyme and a parsley that have developed nicely. I have made
> toasted croutons with a bit of olive oil and plenty of fresh the herbs.
> Bread Crumbs make too. A turkey with margoram and time in the bird cavity
> and with a dressing that matches the flavors.
>
> I added a lemon balm plant on the suggestion of a friend and we have had no
> insects at all. I can't tell you if we are just lucky or if the lemon balm
> did it. In the big garden we planted our peppers and have bells, chiles,
> bananas, jalapeno's.
>
> Our tomatoes and zuchini have proliferated. We have about five different
> types of tomatoes and have already had tomatoes from most of them. We did
> plant a late fruiting one but all the rest apparent are on steroids. We have
> beautiful cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, a golden jubilee, and a beefsteak
> are rather producing a like crazy. These tomatoes absolutely are so much
> better than last year's and have grown to be more than 5 feet tall. We have
> indulged in fried green tomatoes too. Lastly and best, we have had fresh
> tomato, basil, a bit of bell pepper, whatever salad green strikes me,
> cucumbers and a balsamic vingerette. The toasted croutons and a sprinkle of
> feta cheese have topped it off nicely.
>
> Our 8yo son wanted to plant pumpkins. They failed miserably. This year he is
> going to have a booming crop. I think he has six on one vine and two on
> another.
>
> Ah so, just thrilled that our little garden has paid for itelf this year.
> Anyone else harvesting?
>
> Cindi

You must be at a lower latitude than me. The zucchini just started to
flower over the past day or two. Some of the cherry tomato plants have
small green fruit and the bigger varieties haven't done much yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> You must be at a lower latitude than me. The zucchini just started to
> flower over the past day or two. Some of the cherry tomato plants have
> small green fruit and the bigger varieties haven't done much yet.

An honored tradition in Nevada is to present your neighbor with an eight
pound zucchini and not inquire what they did with it.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Ah so, just thrilled that our little garden has paid for itelf this year.
>> Anyone else harvesting?
>>
>> Cindi
>>

> You must be at a lower latitude than me. The zucchini just started to
> flower over the past day or two. Some of the cherry tomato plants have
> small green fruit and the bigger varieties haven't done much yet.

We are sitting at 37* 39' North. We seem to be in a good zone for early
planting and production. There were beautiful big red fruits, some Romas,
about a dozen cherries, and two golden jubillees this afternoon. The plants
are so full they are dipping even in their cages. My family and my hubby's
workmates may be getting gifted with baskets of tomatoes soon.

We had breafast for dinner tonight and I made extra bacon for BLTs for lunch
tomorrow.

Yum

Cindi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> HappyMamaTo3 wrote:
>
>> Ah so, just thrilled that our little garden has paid for itelf this
>> year. Anyone else harvesting?

> Well, I am very happy for you! Me, no beans yet. Actually,
> I have bean babies (not to be confused with beanie babies),
> they are less than an inch long, but they are at least growing.
> I have a few round tomatoes, one is reasonably large, but green. A number
> of small romas.
>
> Thank you for the story of your garden.
>
> nancy

It sounds like you are a little later harvesting. I hope you have a bumper
crop. We have never gotten such good results as we have this year. It really
is my hubby's pride and joy. He heads out to the garden after work and
brings in his finds. I love it.

May your garden be fruitful.

Cindi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 00:42:26 +0100, billgates >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>says...
>>> On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:34:40 -0700, "HappyMamaTo3"

>>> So far all we've got are a few cherries, a handful of currants, but
>>> the blackberries are awesome this year. We picked about 3 pounds over
>>> the weekend. Everything else is just starting to show. The critters
>>> got all the strawberries.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>

>>Strawberries are such hard work. The result scan be superb but the work
>>isn't!

> My grandmother had a very large strawberry patch and as I kid I loved
> to go out and pick. I've given up on my patch for this year and I'll
> put a new fence up for next year. I don't mind the work because
> Louise does most of the gardening, <g> but it does become
> dis-heartening when the critters eat all the goodies.
>
> Lou

Last year the critters were such a letdown but this year we found some
garden netting that is over the whole garden and hanging down the posts a
couple of feet. Our worst critters were the birds and this has worked
beautifully. A tiny bird came to visit the herb garden then quickly went
away and that's all we've had pay a visit to those. I think we are having a
good year.

Here's to fewer critters.

Cindi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

HappyMamaTo3 wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> HappyMamaTo3 wrote:

>> Well, I am very happy for you! Me, no beans yet. Actually,
>> I have bean babies (not to be confused with beanie babies),
>> they are less than an inch long, but they are at least growing.
>> I have a few round tomatoes, one is reasonably large, but green. A
>> number of small romas.
>>
>> Thank you for the story of your garden.

> It sounds like you are a little later harvesting. I hope you have a
> bumper crop. We have never gotten such good results as we have this
> year. It really is my hubby's pride and joy. He heads out to the
> garden after work and brings in his finds. I love it.

That's probably the best part of it, you're having so much
fun with it.

> May your garden be fruitful.

That's a very nice thing to say, thank you.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"HappyMamaTo3" wrote:
> This year I used a large container to plant my herbs. Not a wide selection
> because I wasn't sure how everything would spread out. The Basil is growing
> tall and bountiful, not just in amount but very flavor-rich. I also have
> nice margoram, thyme and a parsley that have developed nicely. �I have made
> toasted croutons with a bit of olive oil and plenty of fresh the herbs.
> Bread Crumbs make too. A turkey with margoram and time in the bird cavity
> and with a dressing that matches the flavors.
>
> I added a lemon balm plant on the suggestion of a friend and we have had no
> insects at all. I can't tell you if we are just lucky or if the lemon balm
> did it. In the big garden we planted our peppers and have bells, chiles,
> bananas, jalapeno's.
>
> Our tomatoes and zuchini have proliferated. We have about five different
> types of tomatoes and have already had tomatoes from most of them. We did
> plant a late fruiting one but all the rest apparent are on steroids. We have
> beautiful cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, a golden jubilee, and a beefsteak
> are rather producing a like crazy. These tomatoes absolutely are so much
> better than last year's and have grown to be more than 5 feet tall. We have
> indulged in fried green tomatoes too. Lastly and best, we have had fresh
> tomato, basil, a bit of bell pepper, whatever salad green strikes me,
> cucumbers and a balsamic vingerette. The toasted croutons and a sprinkle of
> feta cheese have topped it off nicely.
>
> Our 8yo son wanted to plant pumpkins. They failed miserably. This year he is
> going to have a booming crop. I think he has six on one vine and two on
> another.
>
> Ah so, just thrilled that our little garden has paid for itelf this year.
> Anyone else harvesting?

Let's see some pictures.

So far I have a lettuce abundanza, 'specially romaine. The nights are
too cold here in the northern catskills (in low 50s) for tomatoes,
eggplant, beans, cukes, and most everything else... and there's been
no rain either so It's good a have a big hose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Our raspberries are just beginning to come in. For the past 3 days,
we've been able to get a small handful. Hail is a possibility for
tonight. We're hoping it doesn't knock off all the unripe berries.

The tomatoes and celery root are doing well. For some reason, the beans
I planted around them haven't come up. That's weird. I'm always able
to grow beans. I like them to vine up the tomato cages.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

HappyMamaTo3 wrote:
>>> Ah so, just thrilled that our little garden has paid for itelf this year.
>>> Anyone else harvesting?
>>>
>>> Cindi
>>>

>> You must be at a lower latitude than me. The zucchini just started to
>> flower over the past day or two. Some of the cherry tomato plants have
>> small green fruit and the bigger varieties haven't done much yet.

> We are sitting at 37* 39' North. We seem to be in a good zone for early
> planting and production. There were beautiful big red fruits, some Romas,
> about a dozen cherries, and two golden jubillees this afternoon. The plants
> are so full they are dipping even in their cages. My family and my hubby's
> workmates may be getting gifted with baskets of tomatoes soon.
>
> We had breafast for dinner tonight and I made extra bacon for BLTs for lunch
> tomorrow.
>
> Yum
>
> Cindi

We are at 41N latitude. and only have what I described. The local farm
corn is still weeks away.