Old 25-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Johnny Mc

Default Wild pork wild flavor

Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not care
for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it.
Any recipes that was make it taste so good my family will fight over the
last little bit in the pot or skillet?

Help me be the HERO!!!

--

Thanks,
Johnny Mc

To E-mail me, just cut the "CRAP"!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 25-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Katra

"Johnny Mc" wrote:

Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not care
for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it.
Any recipes that was make it taste so good my family will fight over the
last little bit in the pot or skillet?

Help me be the HERO!!!

Lots of garlic and onions. ;-)
I've found that helps a lot.

Along with a lot of fresh herbs.

Smoking/grilling also.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 25-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Hahabogus

Katra wrote in
:

In article ,
"Johnny Mc" wrote:

Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does
not care for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it.
Any recipes that was make it taste so good my family will fight
over the last little bit in the pot or skillet?

Help me be the HERO!!!

Lots of garlic and onions. ;-)
I've found that helps a lot.

Along with a lot of fresh herbs.

Smoking/grilling also.

Marinate the pork or any wild meat you want to unwild in milk for about 1
hr. Works well.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Old 25-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Vox Humana

"Johnny Mc" wrote in message
Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not care
for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it.
Any recipes that was make it taste so good my family will fight over the
last little bit in the pot or skillet?

Help me be the HERO!!!

You could try some the trick people use on venison like strong marinades. I
like lemon and rosemary with pork. You could mix up a paste of some olive
oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic. Rub it on
the pork and refrigerate for about 24 hours before grilling or roasting.

Old 25-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Ruddell

In Johnny Mc wrote:
Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not
care for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it. Any recipes that
was make it taste so good my family will fight over the last little
bit in the pot or skillet?

Help me be the HERO!!!

I've never heard of wild pork. Where on earth can this be found? I
love game and well, this is one I'd like to try...

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

Old 25-01-2005, 11:51 PM
smithfarms pure kona

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:29:02 -0000, Ruddell
wrote:

In Johnny Mc wrote:
Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does

not
care for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it. Any recipes

that
was make it taste so good my family will fight over the last

little
bit in the pot or skillet?

Help me be the HERO!!!

I've never heard of wild pork. Where on earth can this be found? I
love game and well, this is one I'd like to try...

We have wild pigs in our back yard at night. They come out of the
rainforest to eat the Macadamia nuts. They have squealy pig fights and
seemingly go in herds as I can hear a few out there.

There is pig hunting in Hawaii.

I agree with the OP...we once shot and ate some of the wild pig and it
was too strong in flavor. "Gamey" comes to mind.

aloha,
Thunder

smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
Old 26-01-2005, 04:48 AM
Johnny Mc

"Ruddell" wrote in message
In Johnny Mc wrote:
Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not
care for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it. Any recipes that
was make it taste so good my family will fight over the last little
bit in the pot or skillet?

Help me be the HERO!!!

I've never heard of wild pork. Where on earth can this be found? I
love game and well, this is one I'd like to try...

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

I live in Texas and a guy I work with hunts the pigs at night for farmers
who want to get rig of them, because they are destroying thier crops.
Do a Google image search for "wild pig"
The wild dark haired ones with long sharp teeth, is what I have in my deep
freeze.

Old 26-01-2005, 05:13 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 25 Jan 2005 09:48:22p, Johnny Mc wrote in rec.food.cooking:

"Ruddell" wrote in message
In Johnny Mc wrote:
[...]

Are these "real" pigs, or are they javalinas?

I can't stand the taste of javalinas. They are not actually "pigs".

Wayne
Old 26-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Kyle Phillips

"Johnny Mc" ha scritto nel messaggio
Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not care
for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it.
Any recipes that was make it taste so good my family will fight over the
last little bit in the pot or skillet?

Help me be the HERO!!!

--

Thanks,
Johnny Mc

To E-mail me, just cut the "CRAP"!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you mean a pig that got loose, or boar? In any case, I'd marinate it with
juniper berries. Here's a recipe off my site, http://italianfood.about.com:

Juniper berries are traditionally used in cooking boar, hare, and other
game. Should boar not be available where you live, this will work well with
venison too. It will serve 4-6.

* A leg of boar, weighing about 3 pounds
* 1 tablespoon juniper berries
* A clove of garlic
* 1/4 pound (100 g) lardons
* A half a medium onion
* A 2-inch (5 cm) piece of carrot
* A 2-inch (5 cm) stalk of celery
* A bunch of parsley
* A bay leaf
* Good red wine
* 1/2 cup (50 g) melted butter
* 1/3 cup ( 80 ml) broth
* Salt and pepper to taste

If you buy fresh boar, make sure that the animal was young. If it wasn't,
marinate the meat for three days with a full bodied red wine. If you instead
buy frozen meat, you will only need to thaw it.

Come cooking time, lardon the meat and preheat your oven to 430 F (215 C).

Grind together a clove of garlic, the juniper berries, a couple of grains of
pepper, and a pinch of salt; rub the meat with this mixture and set it in a
casserole. Sprinkle the meat with the melted butter, crumble the laurel leaf
over it, and pop it into the oven.

Roast the meat for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, mince and sauté the onion, celery,
parsley, and carrot in a tablespoon of butter, then stir in the broth and
heat through. Add the herbs to the meat, sprinkle it with the wine, reduce
the temperature to 390 F (195 C), and continue roasting for another 2 hours,
turning the meat occasionally and basting it frequently with the drippings.

When the meat is done remove it to a serving platter. Reduce the drippings
over a brisk flame, pour them over the meat, and serve. This goes well with
roast potatoes.

Kyle
(fix the email per the instructions it contains to reply directly)

Old 26-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Bubba

Johnny Mc wrote:

Okay, I have some wild pork (chops & roast).
It has a wild taste, but not too bad. The rest of the family does not care
for the wild taste and I'm not crazy about it.
Any recipes that was make it taste so good my family will fight over the
last little bit in the pot or skillet?

Help me be the HERO!!!

The chops I'd marinate in buttermilk overnight. The roast I'd inject
with liquid pork fat from a domestic pig....I think you'll be amazed at
what this will do.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Old 26-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Emil

I watch the Calorie Commando occasionally and he puts 1/4 cup of course
Dijon mustard in Buttermilk to marinate and add flavor.
Sounds good and I am going to try it on some bnls. thighs this weekend.

--
Emil Luca

Old 26-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Johnny Mc

Are these "real" pigs, or are they javalinas?

I can't stand the taste of javalinas. They are not actually "pigs".

Wayne

What I have is regular pigs that are wild, not javalina

--

Just Brew It!
Johnny Mc

To E-mail me, just cut the "CRAP"!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 26-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Michael Odom

On 26 Jan 2005 05:13:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Are these "real" pigs, or are they javalinas?

I can't stand the taste of javalinas. They are not actually "pigs".

Wayne

Real hogs. They're feral animals, escaped from farms way back when
and gone native. In my opinion, hunting them is an instance of fair
play. They'd as soon eat the hunter as anything else.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Old 26-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Michael L Kankiewicz

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Ruddell wrote:

I've never heard of wild pork. Where on earth can this be found? I
love game and well, this is one I'd like to try...

Very popular hunting game in the southern midwest. (I think that's where
the Arkansas Razorbacks take their name from?)

http://www.coestatepark.com/wild_pig.htm

Someone once gave me burgers of half wild pig half venison he had killed.
They were delicious. Just a quick browning.

Old 26-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Doug Freyburger

Ruddell wrote:

I've never heard of wild pork. Where on earth can this be found? I
love game and well, this is one I'd like to try...

Can be either wild boar, which is the original that pigs
were domesticated from, or ferral hogs, which are
domesticated pigs that escaped and live in the wild. I
suppose since they can interbreed that's a floating
point range of mixtures not a binary either-or.

Places that specialize in exotic meats might carry it.
I've had wild boar at one Yule dinner that was special
ordered. www.exoticmeats.com comes to mind if you have
plenty of money to toss at your desire.

Farmed vs Wild Salmon - flavor [email protected] General Cooking 25 12-10-2006 06:42 AM
Fruited Pork and Wild Rice Salad Duckie ® Recipes 0 12-07-2006 02:49 PM
Wild Pork Roast Johnny Mc Barbecue 6 21-02-2005 03:21 PM
Wild, wild meat MEow General Cooking 13 29-02-2004 12:33 PM