Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fajita seasoning recipe

Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.

Someone once told me to put fresh lemon juice and salt but I want a
little more fancy than that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ray Ray is offline

> Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
> use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
> for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.

I don't remember the proportions off-hand, but the one I use has...

Orange Juice
Lime Juice
Minced Jalapeno
Minced Garlic
Cumin

and maybe one or two other things. Hope that's a good start.

"amandaF" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
> use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
> for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.
>
> Someone once told me to put fresh lemon juice and salt but I want a
> little more fancy than that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 7:23 pm, "Ray" > wrote:
> > Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
> > use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
> > for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.

> I don't remember the proportions off-hand, but the one I use has...
>
> Orange Juice
> Lime Juice
> Minced Jalapeno
> Minced Garlic
> Cumin
>
> and maybe one or two other things. Hope that's a good start.

Thanks.

> "amandaF" > wrote in message

> > Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
> > use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
> > for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.

> > Someone once told me to put fresh lemon juice and salt but I want a
> > little more fancy than that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:
> Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
> use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
> for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.

This is what I use:

1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon granulated garlic or a clove or two of minced garlic
a pinch of cayenne
the juice of one lime

Into this, I toss some steak strips along with strips of onion and bell
pepper. I marinate it for at least 30 minutes, but I've been known to
leave it in the marinade for hours.

I don't put salt in the marinade, but you could add it if you think you
need it.

Serene
--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 18:58:57 -0700 (PDT), amandaF >
wrote:

>Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
>use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
>for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.
>
>Someone once told me to put fresh lemon juice and salt but I want a
>little more fancy than that.

I thought I had a good recipe saved, but a search didn't turn it up...
guess it bit the dust in my last HD crash. But a google search turns
up all sorts of recipes that don't rely on a packaged mix. The one
I'm thinking of didn't require soy, but I'm not finding it. Soy is a
common ingredient now and it makes very good fajitas, I'm not saying
don't use a recipe with it... just that the one I was thinking of
didn't have it (no cumin or chili powder either).

http://www.recipeathome.info/569/Faj...rinade_II.html
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fajita-...II/Detail.aspx

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 02:23:00 GMT, "Ray" >
wrote:

>> Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
>> use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
>> for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.

>I don't remember the proportions off-hand, but the one I use has...
>
>Orange Juice
>Lime Juice
>Minced Jalapeno
>Minced Garlic
>Cumin
>
>and maybe one or two other things. Hope that's a good start.

I think I found it....
http://tinyurl.com/6rjra9

1 orange, juiced
2 limes, juiced
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
3 chipotle chiles, in adobo sauce
3 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
>>> use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
>>> for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.

>>I don't remember the proportions off-hand, but the one I use has...
>>
>>Orange Juice
>>Lime Juice
>>Minced Jalapeno
>>Minced Garlic
>>Cumin
>>
>>and maybe one or two other things. Hope that's a good start.
>>

> I think I found it....
> http://tinyurl.com/6rjra9
>
> 1 orange, juiced
> 2 limes, juiced
> 4 tablespoons olive oil
> 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
> 3 chipotle chiles, in adobo sauce
> 3 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
> 1 teaspoon ground cumin
> 1 teaspoon salt

Nice-looking recipe!

Do you use the zest of the orange or the limes, or just the juice?
Do you use the adobo sauce?

If I were the one making the marinade I'd use the zest and the adobo sauce.
I'd also use cilantro stems (pounded to a paste with the garlic and salt in
a mortar) instead of the cilantro leaves, and I'd use the leaves as a final
garnish.

Bob, adding his 2˘

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ray Ray is offline

> 1 orange, juiced
> 2 limes, juiced
> 4 tablespoons olive oil
> 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
> 3 chipotle chiles, in adobo sauce
> 3 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
> 1 teaspoon ground cumin
> 1 teaspoon salt

This is actually it, but that one is very similar.

1 orange, juiced
2 limes, juiced
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 02:23:00 GMT, "Ray" >
> wrote:
>
>>> Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
>>> use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
>>> for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.

>>I don't remember the proportions off-hand, but the one I use has...
>>
>>Orange Juice
>>Lime Juice
>>Minced Jalapeno
>>Minced Garlic
>>Cumin
>>
>>and maybe one or two other things. Hope that's a good start.
>>

> I think I found it....
> http://tinyurl.com/6rjra9
>
> 1 orange, juiced
> 2 limes, juiced
> 4 tablespoons olive oil
> 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
> 3 chipotle chiles, in adobo sauce
> 3 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
> 1 teaspoon ground cumin
> 1 teaspoon salt
>

> --
> I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the
> number of carats in a diamond.
>
> Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in :

> On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 18:58:57 -0700 (PDT), amandaF >
> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
>>use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
>>for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.
>>
>>Someone once told me to put fresh lemon juice and salt but I want a
>>little more fancy than that.

> I thought I had a good recipe saved, but a search didn't turn it up...
> guess it bit the dust in my last HD crash. But a google search turns
> up all sorts of recipes that don't rely on a packaged mix. The one
> I'm thinking of didn't require soy, but I'm not finding it. Soy is a
> common ingredient now and it makes very good fajitas, I'm not saying
> don't use a recipe with it... just that the one I was thinking of
> didn't have it (no cumin or chili powder either).
>
> http://www.recipeathome.info/569/Faj...rinade_II.html
> http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fajita-...II/Detail.aspx

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Fajita Blend

none

4 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon ground oregano
2 teaspoon garlic salt

Sprinkle on flank or skirt steak, boneless chicken breast, turkey cutlets
or thin boneless pork chops before grilling, broiling or pan frying.
Slice meat in strips for fajitas.

Add to meat loaf or meatball mixture.

Stir into canned refried beans while heating.

Stir into ranch dressing or salsa.

Makes a scant 1/2 cup. Recipe By :

Yield: 1 servings

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Fajita Marinade

none

----LIQUID INGREDIENTS----
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup red wine-vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon seasoning mix (recipe to fol
1 each minced garlic clove
----SEASONING----
6 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 1/3 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon cumin

Mix and store in jar. Use as needed. This was in Bon Appetit magazine
March; 1986: Marinade 2 lb. skirt steak in refrigerator over night.
Probably other beef cut can also be used. The marinade is very good.

Yield: 1 servings

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:
> Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ajitaseas.html

Doesn't get any simpler, or better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:
> Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
> use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
> for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.
>
> Someone once told me to put fresh lemon juice and salt but I want a
> little more fancy than that.

Bolner's Fiesta Brand makes a fajita seasoning without salt. Lime juice
is more traditional than lemon juice. I always add a teaspoon of tequila
to my fajita marinade.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
> use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
> for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.
>
> Someone once told me to put fresh lemon juice and salt but I want a
> little more fancy than that.

Look he

The main ingredient should be lime juice.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...itaHistory.htm

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 10:11 pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> amandaF wrote:
> > Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
> > use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
> > for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.

> This is what I use:
>
> 1 teaspoon chili powder
> 1/2 teaspoon cumin
> 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or a clove or two of minced garlic
> a pinch of cayenne
> the juice of one lime
>
> Into this, I toss some steak strips along with strips of onion and bell
> pepper. I marinate it for at least 30 minutes, but I've been known to
> leave it in the marinade for hours.
>
> I don't put salt in the marinade, but you could add it if you think you
> need it.
>
> Serene
> --
> "I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef

Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 6:04 am, "Ray" > wrote:
> > 1 orange, juiced
> > 2 limes, juiced
> > 4 tablespoons olive oil
> > 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
> > 3 chipotle chiles, in adobo sauce
> > 3 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
> > 1 teaspoon ground cumin
> > 1 teaspoon salt

> This is actually it, but that one is very similar.
>
> 1 orange, juiced
> 2 limes, juiced
> 3 tablespoons canola oil
> 2 garlic cloves, minced
> 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
> 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
> 1 teaspoon cumin
> 1 teaspoon salt

[ ]

Thanks. I prefer not to buy pre-made seasoning and sauce (adobo or
anything) anymore to avoid all that extra stuff added in seasonings
and sauces. My hypoglycemia has gotten worse and I am trying to
reduce (even more than before) of any hidden sugar content via like
"corn syrup" among others that are added in those food. I know it's
just a little but I still want to drink juice a little bit, eat sweet
stuff, and so every effort I can put in controlling what I eat would
help.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 6:09 am, hahabogus > wrote:
> sf wrote :
>

> > On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 18:58:57 -0700 (PDT), amandaF >
> > wrote:

> >>Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
> >>use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
> >>for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.

> >>Someone once told me to put fresh lemon juice and salt but I want a
> >>little more fancy than that.

> > I thought I had a good recipe saved, but a search didn't turn it up...
> > guess it bit the dust in my last HD crash. But a google search turns
> > up all sorts of recipes that don't rely on a packaged mix. The one
> > I'm thinking of didn't require soy, but I'm not finding it. Soy is a
> > common ingredient now and it makes very good fajitas, I'm not saying
> > don't use a recipe with it... just that the one I was thinking of
> > didn't have it (no cumin or chili powder either).

> >http://www.recipeathome.info/569/Faj...rinade_II.html
> >http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fajita-...II/Detail.aspx

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Fajita Blend
>
> none
>
> 4 tablespoon chili powder
> 2 tablespoon ground cumin
> 2 teaspoon ground oregano
> 2 teaspoon garlic salt
>
> Sprinkle on flank or skirt steak, boneless chicken breast, turkey cutlets
> or thin boneless pork chops before grilling, broiling or pan frying.
> Slice meat in strips for fajitas.
>
> Add to meat loaf or meatball mixture.
>
> Stir into canned refried beans while heating.
>
> Stir into ranch dressing or salsa.
>
> Makes a scant 1/2 cup. Recipe By :
>
> Yield: 1 servings
>
> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Fajita Marinade
>
> none
>
> ----LIQUID INGREDIENTS----
> 1 cup fresh orange juice
> 1/2 cup vegetable oil
> 1/4 cup red wine-vinegar
> 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
> 1 teaspoon seasoning mix (recipe to fol
> 1 each minced garlic clove
> ----SEASONING----
> 6 tablespoon salt
> 1 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
> 1 1/3 teaspoon chili powder
> 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
> 3/4 teaspoon cumin
>
> Mix and store in jar. Use as needed. This was in Bon Appetit magazine
> March; 1986: Marinade 2 lb. skirt steak in refrigerator over night.
> Probably other beef cut can also be used. The marinade is very good.
>
> Yield: 1 servings
>
> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **
>
> --
>
> The house of the burning beet-Alan

Great. I only want to cook about 2 servings or at a time: may keep
marinaded meat in the fridge for later in the week, alternating w/
eating chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 6:15 am, Sheldon > wrote:
> amandaF wrote:
> > Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning.

> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ajitaseas.html
>
> Doesn't get any simpler, or better.

Have you used it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 7:21 am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> amandaF wrote:
> > Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
> > use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
> > for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.

> > Someone once told me to put fresh lemon juice and salt but I want a
> > little more fancy than that.

> Bolner's Fiesta Brand makes a fajita seasoning without salt. Lime juice
> is more traditional than lemon juice. I always add a teaspoon of tequila
> to my fajita marinade.

I won't have alcohol available at my place; I'll check into that
Bolner's seasonings

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 3:38 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "amandaF" > wrote in message

> > Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
> > use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
> > for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.

> > Someone once told me to put fresh lemon juice and salt but I want a
> > little more fancy than that.

> Look he
>
> The main ingredient should be lime juice.

The guy probably said "Lemon" to me assuming that I wouldn't know
lime. This was in Texas in a grocery store when I asked someone
picking up Fajita meat.

> http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...itaHistory.htm
>
> --
> Old Scoundrel
>
> (AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 3:38 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "amandaF" > wrote in message

> > Does anyone have a simple recipe for Fajita seasoning. I don't want to
> > use the one sold. The grocery store put it on the meat and re-warp it
> > for me but it's salty even though he put just enough for the meat.

> > Someone once told me to put fresh lemon juice and salt but I want a
> > little more fancy than that.

> Look he
>
> The main ingredient should be lime juice.
>
> http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...itaHistory.htm
>
> --
> Old Scoundrel
>
> (AKA Dimitri)

BTW, when I was in Houston, Texas, I had fajita - everytime I go there
- at pappasitos . Here, I have not found a restaurant that does an
equivalent job or better. I miss Fajita and seafood from the
restaurant in Houston.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

> Great. I only want to cook about 2 servings or at a time: may keep
> marinaded meat in the fridge for later in the week, alternating w/
> eating chicken.

"marinated" not marinaded. One marinates with marinade.
Don't forget to be careful with marinades that have had raw meat in them.

New Recipe: Chicken Fajita Grilled Pizzas Serious Sid Baking 0 15-10-2009 12:00 AM
New Recipe: Chicken Fajita Grilled Pizzas Dimitri General Cooking 0 11-10-2009 04:15 PM
New Recipe: Chicken Fajita Grilled Pizzas Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 11-10-2009 06:38 AM
BBQ Seasoning Recipe Gilles Barbecue 4 30-07-2006 01:51 PM
Looking for a decent fajita recipe barchetta Mexican Cooking 6 03-04-2004 01:13 AM