Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default >>>>> Gralic, peeled, Costco brand: How to keep it? <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi guys:

Costco sells peeled garlic, which is a neat idea.
The problem is that after a week in the refrigerator,
it begins to stink and to rot.

Is there a way to prolong its 'refrigerator life?'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

diogenes > wrote:

>Costco sells peeled garlic, which is a neat idea.
>The problem is that after a week in the refrigerator,
>it begins to stink and to rot.

Maybe it's not such a neat idea after all.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 14, 10:57*pm, diogenes > wrote:
> Hi guys:
>
> Costco sells peeled garlic, which is a neat idea.
> The problem is that after a week in the refrigerator,
> it begins to stink and to rot.
>
> Is there a way to prolong its 'refrigerator life?'

I have heard that some people freeze these large containers of peeled
garlic. If you try it, let us know how it works.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> diogenes > wrote:
>
>>Costco sells peeled garlic, which is a neat idea.
>>The problem is that after a week in the refrigerator,
>>it begins to stink and to rot.

> Maybe it's not such a neat idea after all.

Righto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:57:58 -0700, diogenes >
wrote:

>Hi guys:
>
>Costco sells peeled garlic, which is a neat idea.
>The problem is that after a week in the refrigerator,
>it begins to stink and to rot.
>
>Is there a way to prolong its 'refrigerator life?'

I buy smaller packages of peeled garlic at the green grocer and don't
have a rot problem.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"diogenes" > wrote in message

> Costco sells peeled garlic, which is a neat idea.
> The problem is that after a week in the refrigerator,
> it begins to stink and to rot.
> Is there a way to prolong its 'refrigerator life?'

It might help to keep it covered with salted vinegar (say, a teaspoon salt
per cup vinegar), in a tightly closed glass jar. That will at least
discourage the microbes. If the little rascals want to float, I dunno the
answer to that, maybe put some kind of weighted piece of screening on top or
refill the jar brim full of liquid as you take pieces out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

diogenes > wrote:

> Hi guys:
>
> Costco sells peeled garlic, which is a neat idea.
> The problem is that after a week in the refrigerator,
> it begins to stink and to rot.
>
> Is there a way to prolong its 'refrigerator life?'

I ought one of those jugs of Christopher Ranch garlic years ago and
split it with my brother. The cloves lasted 2+ months in their
original container.

I'd be surprised if it really started to degrade after a week and
that you're just not expecting this to happen.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

diogenes wrote:
> Hi guys:
>
> Costco sells peeled garlic, which is a neat idea.
> The problem is that after a week in the refrigerator,
> it begins to stink and to rot.
>
> Is there a way to prolong its 'refrigerator life?'

How about in olive oil? Would that work?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

How about in olive oil? Would that work?

NO!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 12:57 am, diogenes > wrote:
> Hi guys:
>
> Costco sells peeled garlic, which is a neat idea.
> The problem is that after a week in the refrigerator,
> it begins to stink and to rot.
>
> Is there a way to prolong its 'refrigerator life?'

That's a Costco problem. Quantity. Isn't there a Use By date on the
bottle? I think I spotted one and thought there was no way I could
meet it. Found lots of whole salted anchovies in a can labelled "keep
forever." Not so. Even fridged there's no way to keep salt and tin
from rusting. I believe "rust" is a recognized flavor in some wines,
but I don't like it.