Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Last Trip

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:46:21 -0700, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >Most of my memory of Europe is that it had lots
> >and lots of insects, comparable to the UP of
> >Michigan or pretty much any place in Canada.
> >Not good insects. Mosquitoes in abundance.

> Mark.... EVERY part of Michigan has insects. I lived on a lake 9
> miles off Lake Michigan and I was mosquito *food*.
> >
> >We lit citronella candles every night.

> Did they smell good? How hungry were the bugs?

As I recall, they just had a sort of chemical
smell, and didn't seem to work worth a darn.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

>sf wrote:

>> >We lit citronella candles every night.

>> Did they smell good? How hungry were the bugs?

>As I recall, they just had a sort of chemical
>smell, and didn't seem to work worth a darn.

Probably not strong enough candles. My experience is
if you get the good ones and light three or four of
them, they smell like a Union Carbide plant and the 'skeeters
stay far far away.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message >
> from Serene Vannoy > contains these words:
>

>> Tomorrow's the day I become the parent of a teenager. Whee!

> Try to get lots and lots of sleep tonight :-)

*grin* I actually slept really poorly, and not enough, but fortunately,
I don't have to get up early tomorrow.

Countdown is T-minus-five-hours to parenthood. :-)

ObFood: Tonight's dinner will be tofu and veggies in Thai chili sauce,
served over rice. We'll set some aside for the Munchkin, in case road
food didn't tide her over.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> sf wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:46:21 -0700, Mark Thorson >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Most of my memory of Europe is that it had lots and lots of insects,
>> >comparable to the UP of Michigan or pretty much any place in Canada.
>> >Not good insects. Mosquitoes in abundance.

>> Mark.... EVERY part of Michigan has insects. I lived on a lake 9 miles
>> off Lake Michigan and I was mosquito *food*.
>> >
>> >We lit citronella candles every night.

>> Did they smell good? How hungry were the bugs?

> As I recall, they just had a sort of chemical smell, and didn't seem to
> work worth a darn.

They did, however, keep the elephants away.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:31:57 -0500, Sky >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>As a navy brat, I remember cross-country journeys I'm sure my folks
>considered were journeys into purgatory???!!! Are we there yet?!!!

As an Air Force brat, I recall having many "vacations" that were
actually just cross-country trips from one duty station to the next.
And safety concerns were minimal. My brother, sister and I were
ensconced in the backseat, where my mother had stuffed luggage and
padded it with quilts and pillows for something that was akin to a
giant playpen. We just rolled around in the backseat - not a seatbelt
in sight or even a seatbelt in the car in those days.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:22:14 -0600, Christine Dabney
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:17:17 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:
>

>>The DH and I are doing something vaguely similar (is "vaguely similar"
>>an oxymoron?) with our 14 yo granddaughter. We're taking her on a 2
>>week road trip from southern California to (family in) Austin TX and
>>back next month. Wandering around and stopping where we please.
>>Carlsbad Cavern, Bisbee AZ, etc.

>You're coming through New Mexico??? Anywhere near Albuquerque???

I dunno - is there a batch of limoncello in Albuquerque?

<veg> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:54:21 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>I dunno - is there a batch of limoncello in Albuquerque?
>
><veg> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Yes there is. Not my best, but I haven't tried it lately. It is now
aged almost a year and a half..maybe longer.

Christine, going to give it a taste test tonight...will get back to
you...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:43:54 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

><GASP> Conversation? In the car? OMG... ROFL... ya' gotta love
>teenagers. Teenagers can be the best, and the worst, at the same time
>
>Oh... just to **** off Cybercat...
>
>What will you be wearing on your road trip? Spare no detail.

I'm thinking the Prada and Fendi is going to have to stay home and the
Levis hit the bricks. Damn.

--

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

"Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch!"

-- W.C. Fields
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:22:14 -0600, Christine Dabney
> > fired up random neurons and synapses to
> opine:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:17:17 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:
>>

>>>The DH and I are doing something vaguely similar (is "vaguely similar"
>>>an oxymoron?) with our 14 yo granddaughter. We're taking her on a 2
>>>week road trip from southern California to (family in) Austin TX and
>>>back next month. Wandering around and stopping where we please.
>>>Carlsbad Cavern, Bisbee AZ, etc.

>>You're coming through New Mexico??? Anywhere near Albuquerque???
>>

> I dunno - is there a batch of limoncello in Albuquerque?
>
> <veg> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

SADIE'S!

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:32:25 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>>SADIE'S!

I was thinking that too!

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> Tomorrow's the day I become the parent of a teenager. Whee!

Ow! I'd say go for the pain killers.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> Tomorrow's the day I become the parent of a teenager. Whee!

> Ow! I'd say go for the pain killers.

Blinky!!! You almost made me choke on my (ObFood) tortilla chips!

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> As an Air Force brat, I recall having many "vacations" that were
> actually just cross-country trips from one duty station to the next.
> And safety concerns were minimal. My brother, sister and I were
> ensconced in the backseat, where my mother had stuffed luggage and
> padded it with quilts and pillows for something that was akin to a
> giant playpen. We just rolled around in the backseat - not a seatbelt
> in sight or even a seatbelt in the car in those days.

Amazing we all lived to adulthood, ennit?

I think of that every time women on another ng
warn against using a child's carseat that's over
three years old or using a second hand one
"because it may have been in a fender-bender
and its structural integrity damaged."

Having a baby costs the world these days because
marketing has assured us that only the most expensive
is "safe enough". Thus the $200 carseat that is only
suitable for six months and the $500 carriage and
$1000 crib.

Hah.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:26:56 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> Mark.... EVERY part of Michigan has insects. I lived on a lake 9 miles
>>> off Lake Michigan and I was mosquito *food*.

>>> Did they smell good? How hungry were the bugs?

>> As I recall, they just had a sort of chemical smell, and didn't seem to
>> work worth a darn.

>They did, however, keep the elephants away.

thank god. i hate it when there are clouds of elephants flying
around.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message >
> from Serene Vannoy > contains these words:
>
>> Janet Baraclough wrote:
>>> The message >
>>> from Serene Vannoy > contains these words:

>>> Try to get lots and lots of sleep tonight :-)

>> *grin* I actually slept really poorly, and not enough, but fortunately,
>> I don't have to get up early tomorrow.

>> Countdown is T-minus-five-hours to parenthood. :-)

>> ObFood: Tonight's dinner will be tofu and veggies in Thai chili sauce,
>> served over rice. We'll set some aside for the Munchkin, in case road
>> food didn't tide her over.

> Er........have you any previous experience of keeping a captive
> teenager? :-)

*grin* Yep. This is the adventurous eater. She loves my cooking, even
the weird stuff.

Last night, she was too tired to eat, but when I awoke, my first loaf of
the bread from the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes book was nearly gone. ;-)

Today's lunch will be tuna sandwiches and cole slaw. Dinner will
probably be beans and rice, because we're going to do prep on tomorrow's
burrito project tonight.

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>

> > As an Air Force brat, I recall having many "vacations" that were
> > actually just cross-country trips from one duty station to the next.
> > And safety concerns were minimal. My brother, sister and I were
> > ensconced in the backseat, where my mother had stuffed luggage and
> > padded it with quilts and pillows for something that was akin to a
> > giant playpen. We just rolled around in the backseat - not a seatbelt
> > in sight or even a seatbelt in the car in those days.
> >

> Amazing we all lived to adulthood, ennit?
>
> I think of that every time women on another ng
> warn against using a child's carseat that's over
> three years old or using a second hand one
> "because it may have been in a fender-bender
> and its structural integrity damaged."
>
> Having a baby costs the world these days because
> marketing has assured us that only the most expensive
> is "safe enough". Thus the $200 carseat that is only
> suitable for six months and the $500 carriage and
> $1000 crib.
>
> Hah.

Yep, the gene pool is definitely getting diluted.

I wonder how we did survive sans car seat, seat belt etc?

One memory is of what I term 'guard arm'. In any traffic situation where
a quick stop was imminent the right arm would shoot out in front of me
to protect me from being launched through the windshield.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 13 Jun 2008 04:16:12p, T told us...

> In article >,
> says...
>> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>>

>> > As an Air Force brat, I recall having many "vacations" that were
>> > actually just cross-country trips from one duty station to the next.
>> > And safety concerns were minimal. My brother, sister and I were
>> > ensconced in the backseat, where my mother had stuffed luggage and
>> > padded it with quilts and pillows for something that was akin to a
>> > giant playpen. We just rolled around in the backseat - not a seatbelt
>> > in sight or even a seatbelt in the car in those days.
>> >

>> Amazing we all lived to adulthood, ennit?
>>
>> I think of that every time women on another ng
>> warn against using a child's carseat that's over
>> three years old or using a second hand one
>> "because it may have been in a fender-bender
>> and its structural integrity damaged."
>>
>> Having a baby costs the world these days because
>> marketing has assured us that only the most expensive
>> is "safe enough". Thus the $200 carseat that is only
>> suitable for six months and the $500 carriage and
>> $1000 crib.
>>
>> Hah.

> Yep, the gene pool is definitely getting diluted.
>
> I wonder how we did survive sans car seat, seat belt etc?
>
> One memory is of what I term 'guard arm'. In any traffic situation where
> a quick stop was imminent the right arm would shoot out in front of me
> to protect me from being launched through the windshield.

I had no idea that seatbelts had such a long history:

http://inventors.about.com/library/i...seat_belts.htm

I don't remember seeing seatbelts in a car until the early 1960s.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 06(VI)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright said...

> On Fri 13 Jun 2008 04:16:12p, T told us...
>
>> In article >,
>> says...

>>> Amazing we all lived to adulthood, ennit?
>>>
>>> I think of that every time women on another ng
>>> warn against using a child's carseat that's over
>>> three years old or using a second hand one
>>> "because it may have been in a fender-bender
>>> and its structural integrity damaged."
>>>
>>> Having a baby costs the world these days because
>>> marketing has assured us that only the most expensive
>>> is "safe enough". Thus the $200 carseat that is only
>>> suitable for six months and the $500 carriage and
>>> $1000 crib.
>>>
>>> Hah.

>> Yep, the gene pool is definitely getting diluted.
>>
>> I wonder how we did survive sans car seat, seat belt etc?
>>
>> One memory is of what I term 'guard arm'. In any traffic situation where
>> a quick stop was imminent the right arm would shoot out in front of me
>> to protect me from being launched through the windshield.
>>

> I had no idea that seatbelts had such a long history:

http://inventors.about.com/library/i...seat_belts.htm

> I don't remember seeing seatbelts in a car until the early 1960s.

Wayne,

You gonna gimme hours more homework??? It's bad enough being Friday the
13th!

Ya BUM!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 13 Jun 2008 05:03:17p, Andy told us...

> Wayne Boatwright said...
>
>> On Fri 13 Jun 2008 04:16:12p, T told us...
>>
>>> In article >,
>>> says...

seatbelt

>>> Yep, the gene pool is definitely getting diluted.
>>>
>>> I wonder how we did survive sans car seat, seat belt etc?
>>>
>>> One memory is of what I term 'guard arm'. In any traffic situation

where
>>> a quick stop was imminent the right arm would shoot out in front of me
>>> to protect me from being launched through the windshield.
>>>

>> I had no idea that seatbelts had such a long history:

http://inventors.about.com/library/i...seat_belts.htm

>> I don't remember seeing seatbelts in a car until the early 1960s.

> Wayne,
>
> You gonna gimme hours more homework??? It's bad enough being Friday the
> 13th!
>
> Ya BUM!!!
>
> Andy

You need something to do, Andy. It will be good for you. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 06(VI)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
I don't have an attitude problem. You
have a perception problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright said...

> On Fri 13 Jun 2008 05:03:17p, Andy told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright said...
>>
>>> On Fri 13 Jun 2008 04:16:12p, T told us...

next.

> seatbelt

> where
>>>>

>>> I had no idea that seatbelts had such a long history:

http://inventors.about.com/library/i...seat_belts.htm

>>> I don't remember seeing seatbelts in a car until the early 1960s.

>> Wayne,
>>
>> You gonna gimme hours more homework??? It's bad enough being Friday the
>> 13th!
>>
>> Ya BUM!!!
>>
>> Andy
>>

> You need something to do, Andy. It will be good for you. :-)

Says You, Teach!

BUM!!!

I'm skipping school next year!

Anonymouse!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
says...
> On Fri 13 Jun 2008 04:16:12p, T told us...
>
> > In article >,

says...

> >> Amazing we all lived to adulthood, ennit?
> >>
> >> I think of that every time women on another ng
> >> warn against using a child's carseat that's over
> >> three years old or using a second hand one
> >> "because it may have been in a fender-bender
> >> and its structural integrity damaged."
> >>
> >> Having a baby costs the world these days because
> >> marketing has assured us that only the most expensive
> >> is "safe enough". Thus the $200 carseat that is only
> >> suitable for six months and the $500 carriage and
> >> $1000 crib.
> >>
> >> Hah.

> > Yep, the gene pool is definitely getting diluted.
> >
> > I wonder how we did survive sans car seat, seat belt etc?
> >
> > One memory is of what I term 'guard arm'. In any traffic situation where
> > a quick stop was imminent the right arm would shoot out in front of me
> > to protect me from being launched through the windshield.
> >

> I had no idea that seatbelts had such a long history:

http://inventors.about.com/library/i...seat_belts.htm

> I don't remember seeing seatbelts in a car until the early 1960s.

How interesting. I have noticed that in the technology field it takes
approximatley 20 to 30 years for a new technology to reach full usage.

Put it this way, I know for a fact that Bell pioneered Caller-ID back as
early as 1972, and quite possibly before that since ESS had the
capability of full ANI so it wouldn't have been a jump to go to CLID.

It didn't reach widespread acceptance for almost twenty years. A lot of
that was due to the fact that Bell upgraded very slowly, and only
upgraded her most profitable children.

It explains why RI got ESS quite early in the game while NYC was still
on SxS in the financial district.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Back in the day before "super highways" and high speed freeways, there were
> many fewer drivers, much less urban sprawl, and most speed limits were far
> lower than today. Long distance travel was not as prevalent, and I think
> many drivers were more careful. Yes, there were certainly accidents and
> deaths, but it's difficult to equate those conditions to those of today.

Nevada until 1974:

Drive prudently (That was the speed limit)
Little traffic on questionably maintained two lane roads
Open all night for liquor and gambling

Ya Hooooooooo! I was just old enough to take advantage of all that
freedom in a brand new '67 banana yellow 327 4 speed Camaro with a black
stripe around its nose and a wind wing. I've never been freer or more
dangerous. They were the best years of my life, and I wouldn't trade
them for anything.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Back in the day before "super highways" and high speed freeways, there were
> many fewer drivers, much less urban sprawl, and most speed limits were far
> lower than today. Long distance travel was not as prevalent, and I think
> many drivers were more careful. Yes, there were certainly accidents and
> deaths, but it's difficult to equate those conditions to those of today.

I don't have those same memories, and I think our ages are comparable (I
was born in 1949). The speed limit in Montana was whatever was safe.
If a driver thought conditions were safe for 120mph for a particular
situation, they couldn't be cited for speeding. Of course, if the
officer thought the safe speed was less, they could be cited, but there
was no law that specified a particular speed limit for highway travel.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 13 Jun 2008 09:46:44p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

>> Back in the day before "super highways" and high speed freeways, there
>> were many fewer drivers, much less urban sprawl, and most speed limits
>> were far lower than today. Long distance travel was not as prevalent,
>> and I think many drivers were more careful. Yes, there were certainly
>> accidents and deaths, but it's difficult to equate those conditions to
>> those of today.

> Nevada until 1974:
>
> Drive prudently (That was the speed limit)
> Little traffic on questionably maintained two lane roads
> Open all night for liquor and gambling
>
> Ya Hooooooooo! I was just old enough to take advantage of all that
> freedom in a brand new '67 banana yellow 327 4 speed Camaro with a black
> stripe around its nose and a wind wing. I've never been freer or more
> dangerous. They were the best years of my life, and I wouldn't trade
> them for anything.
>
> leo

That was certainly the exception rather than the rule, as was true with
several western states.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 06(VI)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
My strength is as the strength of ten
because my code is pure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 13 Jun 2008 09:51:08p, Dan Abel told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

>> Back in the day before "super highways" and high speed freeways, there
>> were many fewer drivers, much less urban sprawl, and most speed limits
>> were far lower than today. Long distance travel was not as prevalent,
>> and I think many drivers were more careful. Yes, there were certainly
>> accidents and deaths, but it's difficult to equate those conditions to
>> those of today.

> I don't have those same memories, and I think our ages are comparable (I
> was born in 1949). The speed limit in Montana was whatever was safe.
> If a driver thought conditions were safe for 120mph for a particular
> situation, they couldn't be cited for speeding. Of course, if the
> officer thought the safe speed was less, they could be cited, but there
> was no law that specified a particular speed limit for highway travel.

In the midwest, east, and south, that was certainly not the case. I was
born in 1945. I remember traveling through states when I was a child where
highway speeds were generally no more than 60 mph, and more often less.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 06(VI)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
My strength is as the strength of ten
because my code is pure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> The speed limit in Montana was whatever was safe.
> If a driver thought conditions were safe for 120mph for a particular
> situation, they couldn't be cited for speeding. Of course, if the
> officer thought the safe speed was less, they could be cited, but there
> was no law that specified a particular speed limit for highway travel.

An attorney could beat the officer's assumption unless a wreck occurred.
I remember that Montana had little crosses where people had been killed
at places where it happened. Dangerous curves had plenty of crosses. I
think that the Montana government put them up.
I seem to remember that a group of family members of people who
unfortunately earned crosses became offended and the practice was
eliminated. Those crosses were very effective at limiting my speed while
crossing Montana.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Fri 13 Jun 2008 09:46:44p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...
>
> > In article 0>,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> > Nevada until 1974:
> >
> > Drive prudently (That was the speed limit)
> > Little traffic on questionably maintained two lane roads
> > Open all night for liquor and gambling

> That was certainly the exception rather than the rule, as was true with
> several western states.

Not to our extent, Wayne. We're still open all night for liquor and
gambling. I forgot to mention prostitution. It's illegal in Reno and
Vegas and legal nearly everywhere else. Everywhere else comprises less
than a tenth of the population and eighty percent of the size of the
state.
There's still little traffic on questionably maintained two lane roads.
Otherwise, da man got his finger on me, and I find it oppressive.

OBFood: Beef soup with tomato, two beans (pinto and green) and barley.
Oh, and toast.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 13 Jun 2008 10:40:22p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Fri 13 Jun 2008 09:46:44p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...
>>
>> > In article 0>,
>> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>> > Nevada until 1974:
>> >
>> > Drive prudently (That was the speed limit)
>> > Little traffic on questionably maintained two lane roads
>> > Open all night for liquor and gambling

>> That was certainly the exception rather than the rule, as was true with
>> several western states.

> Not to our extent, Wayne. We're still open all night for liquor and
> gambling. I forgot to mention prostitution. It's illegal in Reno and
> Vegas and legal nearly everywhere else. Everywhere else comprises less
> than a tenth of the population and eighty percent of the size of the
> state.
> There's still little traffic on questionably maintained two lane roads.
> Otherwise, da man got his finger on me, and I find it oppressive.
>
> OBFood: Beef soup with tomato, two beans (pinto and green) and barley.
> Oh, and toast.
>
> leo

Nevada has always been a major exception, and a few other states. Many
states had serious restrictions at least as early as the 1950s.

There will probably always be exceptions.

OBFood: Breakfast for dinner... Cheese omelettes made with asiago cheese,
sliced cantaloupe, and cream biscuits.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 06(VI)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
A conscience does not prevent sin. It
only prevents you from enjoying it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 21:46:44 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>'67 banana yellow

LOL! Those were the days of yellow cars.... mom's car wasn't what I'd
call banana yellow - it was more of a lemon yellow (convertible) with
an oliveish green interior and matching rag top.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 14 Jun 2008 06:20:33a, Janet Baraclough told us...

> The message 0>
> from Wayne Boatwright > contains these words:
>

>> Back in the day before "super highways" and high speed freeways, there
>> were many fewer drivers, much less urban sprawl, and most speed limits
>> were far lower than today. Long distance travel was not as prevalent,
>> and I think many drivers were more careful. Yes, there were certainly
>> accidents and deaths, but it's difficult to equate those conditions to
>> those of today.

> Cars were heavier and less powerful and efficient, and people just
> drove a lot slower that today (in the UK at any rate) I doubt if my
> parents or fatherinlaw ever drove faster than 40 mph in their entire
> lives; and two of them were driving all day long for their work :-)
>
> Janet

Yes, that was certainly a factor, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
says...
> On Fri 13 Jun 2008 10:40:22p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...
>
> > In article >,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri 13 Jun 2008 09:46:44p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...

> >> That was certainly the exception rather than the rule, as was true with
> >> several western states.

> > Not to our extent, Wayne. We're still open all night for liquor and
> > gambling. I forgot to mention prostitution. It's illegal in Reno and
> > Vegas and legal nearly everywhere else. Everywhere else comprises less
> > than a tenth of the population and eighty percent of the size of the
> > state.
> > There's still little traffic on questionably maintained two lane roads.
> > Otherwise, da man got his finger on me, and I find it oppressive.
> >
> > OBFood: Beef soup with tomato, two beans (pinto and green) and barley.
> > Oh, and toast.
> >
> > leo

> Nevada has always been a major exception, and a few other states. Many
> states had serious restrictions at least as early as the 1950s.
>
> There will probably always be exceptions.
>
> OBFood: Breakfast for dinner... Cheese omelettes made with asiago cheese,
> sliced cantaloupe, and cream biscuits.

Regarding prostitution, RI law has a rather large loophole in it. If
it's done indoors there isn't anything they can do about it.

And curiously every year they try to close the loophole and then fail to
do so.

Of course they bust the day spa's since they don't have the requisite
licenses to operate the business. But I theorize that if someone went
and crossed t's and dotted i's and got all the licenses and permits,
you'd have a functional brothel in Providence.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

> The message 0>
> from Wayne Boatwright > contains these words:
>

>> Back in the day before "super highways" and high speed freeways, there were
>> many fewer drivers, much less urban sprawl, and most speed limits were far
>> lower than today. Long distance travel was not as prevalent, and I think
>> many drivers were more careful. Yes, there were certainly accidents and
>> deaths, but it's difficult to equate those conditions to those of today.

> Cars were heavier and less powerful and efficient, and people just
> drove a lot slower that today (in the UK at any rate) I doubt if my
> parents or fatherinlaw ever drove faster than 40 mph in their entire
> lives; and two of them were driving all day long for their work :-)

The US was not like that. We've been driving much faster than 40MPH at
least since WWII.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 14 Jun 2008 01:31:17p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> Janet Baraclough wrote:
>
>> The message 0>
>> from Wayne Boatwright > contains these words:
>>

>>> Back in the day before "super highways" and high speed freeways, there
>>> were many fewer drivers, much less urban sprawl, and most speed limits
>>> were far lower than today. Long distance travel was not as prevalent,
>>> and I think many drivers were more careful. Yes, there were certainly
>>> accidents and deaths, but it's difficult to equate those conditions to
>>> those of today.

>> Cars were heavier and less powerful and efficient, and people just
>> drove a lot slower that today (in the UK at any rate) I doubt if my
>> parents or fatherinlaw ever drove faster than 40 mph in their entire
>> lives; and two of them were driving all day long for their work :-)

> The US was not like that. We've been driving much faster than 40MPH at
> least since WWII.

That wasn't necessarily true throughout the country, but perhaps where you
lived.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Flag Day
DeliCATe: A dainty kitten who likes kosher.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 03:57:47 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> T wrote:
>>> In article >,
>>> says...

>>> Yep, the gene pool is definitely getting diluted.
>>>
>>> I wonder how we did survive sans car seat, seat belt etc?

>> Well, lots of us *didn't*. A lot of the current safety laws came about
>> after people were maimed and killed.

>One of the car mags - probably Car and Driver - recently ran an article on
>the best (weirdest, goriest) Drivers Ed Dead Kid films from the 1950s and
>1960s. Descriptions, interesting bits about the films, some script
>quotes, some stills.

i saw those films in driver's ed - 'signal 30,' 'wheels of death,' all
that shit, and of course laughed them off. i saw them again a few
years later (i made an illegal u-turn on labor day or somesuch, and
the governor decreed re-education camps for all with moving violations
on those days). i wore the lap belt after that. my passengers'
reactions were sometimes funny - a sidelong glance, and then maybe
buckled up. i really didn't care whether they did or not. (this
would have been late sixties, early seventies.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i saw those films in driver's ed - 'signal 30,' 'wheels of death,' all
> that shit, and of course laughed them off. i saw them again a few
> years later (i made an illegal u-turn on labor day or somesuch, and
> the governor decreed re-education camps for all with moving violations
> on those days). i wore the lap belt after that. my passengers'
> reactions were sometimes funny - a sidelong glance, and then maybe
> buckled up. i really didn't care whether they did or not. (this
> would have been late sixties, early seventies.)
>
> your pal,
> blake

I told my kids that our car insurance has a clause in the policy that if
you aren't wearing a seatbelt, they DON'T have to pay your bills. I
figured hitting them in their pocketbook might motivate them a bit?

Oh, and I always bring home stories of "What not to do!" based on trauma
patients I deal with. "Bye hon, be home before midnight, oh yeah, don't
forget- Do NOT ride on the roof of the car instead of in a seat, okay??"
to which they roll their eyes and laugh and the absurdity of the
things I see (and preach about).

The Last Trip Dave Bugg Barbecue 22 13-06-2008 09:52 PM
Trip to nyc estherhoward Wine 0 13-11-2004 09:58 PM