Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Last Trip

Well, my youngest son, Ethan, just finished his high school sophomore year.
As I've done with each of my kids when they've reached this age, I'll be
taking him on a two week road trip to an area of America that he has chosen
to visit.

Friday morning we head out for Utah and northern Arizona, with our route
also hitting parts of Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, and Nevada.

We will be hunting trilobite fossils and topaz, renting ATVs, visiting a
gaggle of National Parks, touring Anasazi ruins, scrambling through slot
canyons and various back-country areas, target shooting our handguns and .22
rifles, mountain biking, hitting a few Hopi and Navajo trading posts (I
spent four months as a midwife at sage Memorial Indian Health Hospital in
Ganado, AZ a long time ago), getting to know some regional history and
cultures, and doing whatever we feel like doing.

Outside of making sure Ethan gets an authentic Navajo meal of mutton and fry
bread, we are playing our eating needs by ear. We will eat at a lot of
hole-in-the-wall joints, hit some fast food places, snack on junk food, keep
alert for the favorite places of local inhabitants, and seek out regional
specialties in the locations we travel through. We will avoid -- like a
plague of boils and festering sores -- any place that even remotely smacks
of fussiness and dress codes. We will eat when we feel like it, sleep when
we get tired, and avoid burning daylight with insignificant crap.

The goal is to create a singular life-long memory for Ethan, so things are
geared toward his needs and sensibilities. Nothing is set in stone so we can
be flexible about what is going on and make changes as needed.

As for me, this is a bittersweet trip. It will be - just like the other
trips - a wonderful and special time that I will always cherish. But it also
marks a passage. It is the last trip of its kind that I will take since
Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you,
and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Well, my youngest son, Ethan, just finished his high school sophomore year.
> As I've done with each of my kids when they've reached this age, I'll be
> taking him on a two week road trip to an area of America that he has chosen
> to visit.
>
> Friday morning we head out for Utah and northern Arizona, with our route
> also hitting parts of Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, and Nevada.
>
> We will be hunting trilobite fossils and topaz, renting ATVs, visiting a
> gaggle of National Parks, touring Anasazi ruins, scrambling through slot
> canyons and various back-country areas, target shooting our handguns and .22
> rifles, mountain biking, hitting a few Hopi and Navajo trading posts (I
> spent four months as a midwife at sage Memorial Indian Health Hospital in
> Ganado, AZ a long time ago), getting to know some regional history and
> cultures, and doing whatever we feel like doing.
>
> Outside of making sure Ethan gets an authentic Navajo meal of mutton and fry
> bread, we are playing our eating needs by ear. We will eat at a lot of
> hole-in-the-wall joints, hit some fast food places, snack on junk food, keep
> alert for the favorite places of local inhabitants, and seek out regional
> specialties in the locations we travel through. We will avoid -- like a
> plague of boils and festering sores -- any place that even remotely smacks
> of fussiness and dress codes. We will eat when we feel like it, sleep when
> we get tired, and avoid burning daylight with insignificant crap.
>
> The goal is to create a singular life-long memory for Ethan, so things are
> geared toward his needs and sensibilities. Nothing is set in stone so we can
> be flexible about what is going on and make changes as needed.
>
> As for me, this is a bittersweet trip. It will be - just like the other
> trips - a wonderful and special time that I will always cherish. But it also
> marks a passage. It is the last trip of its kind that I will take since
> Ethan is the last child. Sigh.
>
> --
> Dave www.davebbq.com
>
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you,
> and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Oh HOW Lovely!!!! What treasured memories!! Er, can I go back in time
and have you adopt me??? <G>

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> Oh HOW Lovely!!!! What treasured memories!! Er, can I go back in
> time and have you adopt me??? <G>

Sure, why not.

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Well, my youngest son, Ethan, just finished his high school sophomore year.
> As I've done with each of my kids when they've reached this age, I'll be
> taking him on a two week road trip to an area of America that he has chosen
> to visit.

So sweet! Wish my parents had taken the time to spend one-on-one time
with us kids the way you're doing. What a great gift.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:

> As for me, this is a bittersweet trip. It will be - just like the
> other trips - a wonderful and special time that I will always
> cherish. But it also marks a passage. It is the last trip of its kind
> that I will take since Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

Such a special story! Thanks for that, I loved reading that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:43:05 GMT, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Friday morning we head out for Utah and northern Arizona, with our route
>also hitting parts of Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, and Nevada.

Nice post David. Hope you have a good time.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Well, my youngest son, Ethan, just finished his high school sophomore
> year. As I've done with each of my kids when they've reached this age,
> I'll be taking him on a two week road trip to an area of America
> that he has chosen to visit.

From about ages 4 to 10, my parents took me all over
Europe, Canada, and the northern states along the
Canadian border. Visited Asia for part of a day
at Istanbul, and saw Africa across the strait of
Gibraltar.

That was when Europe was cheap, and VW buses were
cheap. And campgrounds were plentiful and cheap,
too. I hated it. Right now, my favorite place
to be is home. And since I'm there right now,
I'm happy. Very happy. When I see a picture in
National Geographic of enthusiasts on a glacier
in the Chilean Andes, my first thought is always
"If I were there, how would I get home?". I'd
have to get off the freakin' glacier, for starters.

> We will be hunting trilobite fossils and topaz, renting ATVs, visiting a
> gaggle of National Parks, touring Anasazi ruins, scrambling through slot
> canyons and various back-country areas, target shooting our handguns
> and .22 rifles, mountain biking, hitting a few Hopi and Navajo trading
> posts (I spent four months as a midwife at sage Memorial Indian Health
> Hospital in Ganado, AZ a long time ago), getting to know some
> regional history and cultures, and doing whatever we feel like doing.

What? No trip to Mt. Rushmore? Or Rugby, ND
(the geographical center of North America)?
Wall's Drugs?

Been to all of those. Never again.

While you're in AZ, you might consider touring
Arcosanti. A monument to failed dreams and
crazed artists. I believe Paolo Soleri is still
alive, so your son would have a chance to meet
him shortly before he croaks. Also, Biosphere 2
is in AZ, near Tuscon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> Well, my youngest son, Ethan, just finished his high school
>> sophomore year. As I've done with each of my kids when they've
>> reached this age, I'll be taking him on a two week road trip to an
>> area of America that he has chosen to visit.

> So sweet! Wish my parents had taken the time to spend one-on-one time
> with us kids the way you're doing. What a great gift.

You know what they say about the gift and the giver, Serene. It's been a
blessing to me.

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> As for me, this is a bittersweet trip. It will be - just like the
>> other trips - a wonderful and special time that I will always
>> cherish. But it also marks a passage. It is the last trip of its kind
>> that I will take since Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

> Such a special story! Thanks for that, I loved reading that.

You're welcome, Nancy. I'll post some highlights and pics when we get back.
--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:43:05 GMT, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
>> Friday morning we head out for Utah and northern Arizona, with our
>> route also hitting parts of Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, and Nevada.

> Nice post David. Hope you have a good time.

Thanks, Lou.... I'm sure we will.
--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>
>> Well, my youngest son, Ethan, just finished his high school sophomore
>> year. As I've done with each of my kids when they've reached this
>> age, I'll be taking him on a two week road trip to an area of America
>> that he has chosen to visit.

> From about ages 4 to 10, my parents took me all over
> Europe, Canada, and the northern states along the
> Canadian border. Visited Asia for part of a day
> at Istanbul, and saw Africa across the strait of
> Gibraltar.

How great is that? :-)

> That was when Europe was cheap, and VW buses were
> cheap. And campgrounds were plentiful and cheap,
> too. I hated it. Right now, my favorite place
> to be is home. And since I'm there right now,
> I'm happy. Very happy. When I see a picture in
> National Geographic of enthusiasts on a glacier
> in the Chilean Andes, my first thought is always
> "If I were there, how would I get home?". I'd
> have to get off the freakin' glacier, for starters.

:-)

>> We will be hunting trilobite fossils and topaz, renting ATVs,
>> visiting a gaggle of National Parks, touring Anasazi ruins,
>> scrambling through slot canyons and various back-country areas,
>> target shooting our handguns and .22 rifles, mountain biking,
>> hitting a few Hopi and Navajo trading posts (I spent four months as
>> a midwife at sage Memorial Indian Health Hospital in Ganado, AZ a
>> long time ago), getting to know some
>> regional history and cultures, and doing whatever we feel like doing.

> What? No trip to Mt. Rushmore? Or Rugby, ND
> (the geographical center of North America)?
> Wall's Drugs?

That was part of my middle son's (Jared) trip. :-) He couldn't believe I
made him pose in front of the Corn Palace in Mitchell. :-D

> Been to all of those. Never again.

Mt. Rushmore was neat. I just had to go to Sturgis.... Yawn. It ain't
nothing without Bike Week :-)

> While you're in AZ, you might consider touring
> Arcosanti. A monument to failed dreams and
> crazed artists. I believe Paolo Soleri is still
> alive, so your son would have a chance to meet
> him shortly before he croaks. Also, Biosphere 2
> is in AZ, near Tuscon.

I'll keep that in mind.

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote:

>Dave Bugg wrote:

>> Well, my youngest son, Ethan, just finished his high school sophomore year.
>> As I've done with each of my kids when they've reached this age, I'll be
>> taking him on a two week road trip to an area of America that he has chosen
>> to visit.

>So sweet! Wish my parents had taken the time to spend one-on-one time
>with us kids the way you're doing. What a great gift.

Yes that's cool, and have a wonderful time.

My parents never (almost) took us on any vacations, but
their excuse was that as a military family we lived all
over the place anyway.

There was one exception, a train trip led by my mother
from California to Wyoming and back, visiting relatives
in Sheridan and Jackson. Other than that, I was unfamiliar
with the concept of recreational travel until I got
to college and found out that nearly everybody did it.

I will say in all my travel experience there is nothing better
than traveling about western North America. I was fortunate
to start doing it seriously by about age 20.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <dqZ3k.493$cm.337@trndny09>,
"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> It is the last trip of its kind that I will take since
> Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

At least until you do one with a grandchild....

Mike Beede
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Yes that's cool, and have a wonderful time.

Thanks, Steve

> My parents never (almost) took us on any vacations, but
> their excuse was that as a military family we lived all
> over the place anyway.

My folks were the same. I grew up an Army brat :-)

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Beede wrote:
> In article <dqZ3k.493$cm.337@trndny09>,
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
>> It is the last trip of its kind that I will take since
>> Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

> At least until you do one with a grandchild....

Now there's a thought. :-D

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> >
> > From about ages 4 to 10, my parents took me all over
> > Europe, Canada, and the northern states along the
> > Canadian border. Visited Asia for part of a day
> > at Istanbul, and saw Africa across the strait of
> > Gibraltar.

> How great is that? :-)

Most of my memory of Europe is that it had lots
and lots of insects, comparable to the UP of
Michigan or pretty much any place in Canada.
Not good insects. Mosquitoes in abundance.
We lit citronella candles every night.

And then there was the time we all got food
poisoning in Spain, near Cadiz, from a large
and very attractive paella. I'll bet it was
the mussels that did it.

I remember seeing the Mona Lisa, but it was at
quite a distance (about 10 feet) from a somewhat
small painting. Not too impressive, except by
reputation.

In the British Museum, I ran my hand across
the back of the Rosetta Stone. It's my
understanding that you can't touch it anymore,
because it's completely contained in a
transparent box. When I touched it, only
the front surface was protected, by a glass
plate and its frame.

In Ireland. saw people kissing the Blarney Stone,
but I didn't kiss it myself. As I recall, you
had to grab some handles and support yourself
over a rather large and scary drop to kiss
the actual stone. The whole idea seems gross,
anyway.

Europe? You can keep it! Same for Canada.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> Europe? You can keep it! Same for Canada.

As a 10 year old, I may be inclined to agree, I thought teaching history wad
dumb when I was in grammar school. As an adult, I enjoy going to both
places as often as I can. Fantastic things to see in both places.
Breathtaking view from a hillside in Canada, or just to sit and marvel at
1000 year old buildings in Europe and wonder what it was like building them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Mike Beede wrote:
>> In article <dqZ3k.493$cm.337@trndny09>,
>> "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>>
>>> It is the last trip of its kind that I will take since
>>> Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

>> At least until you do one with a grandchild....

> Now there's a thought. :-D
>
> --
> Dave www.davebbq.com

It will give you a different perspective also. Meantime, enjoy the trip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Mike Beede wrote:

>>> At least until you do one with a grandchild....

>> Now there's a thought. :-D

> It will give you a different perspective also. Meantime, enjoy the
> trip.

I will. Thanks, Ed.

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>> Well, my youngest son, Ethan, just finished his high school
>>> sophomore year. As I've done with each of my kids when they've
>>> reached this age, I'll be taking him on a two week road trip to an
>>> area of America that he has chosen to visit.

>> So sweet! Wish my parents had taken the time to spend one-on-one time
>> with us kids the way you're doing. What a great gift.

> You know what they say about the gift and the giver, Serene. It's been a
> blessing to me.

Know what you mean. My sister's kid is having trouble at home, so she's
coming to live with us. I think I'm even more excited than she is.

Tomorrow's the day I become the parent of a teenager. Whee!

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:43:05 GMT, "Dave Bugg" >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Well, my youngest son, Ethan, just finished his high school sophomore year.
>As I've done with each of my kids when they've reached this age, I'll be
>taking him on a two week road trip to an area of America that he has chosen
>to visit.

<snip>

The DH and I are doing something vaguely similar (is "vaguely similar"
an oxymoron?) with our 14 yo granddaughter. We're taking her on a 2
week road trip from southern California to (family in) Austin TX and
back next month. Wandering around and stopping where we please.
Carlsbad Cavern, Bisbee AZ, etc. This will actually be the first
vacation of over a few days' duration I've had in 4 or 5 years, so I'm
really, really looking forward to it. Our only two ground rules for
the granddaughter a no iPod or cell phone in the car while we're
traveling. We'd actually like to have conversations as we travel!

We're bringing the craptop along, so I'll post as we go.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:46:21 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Most of my memory of Europe is that it had lots
>and lots of insects, comparable to the UP of
>Michigan or pretty much any place in Canada.
>Not good insects. Mosquitoes in abundance.

Mark.... EVERY part of Michigan has insects. I lived on a lake 9
miles off Lake Michigan and I was mosquito *food*.

>We lit citronella candles every night.

Did they smell good? How hungry were the bugs?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> And then there was the time we all got food
> poisoning in Spain, near Cadiz, from a large
> and very attractive paella. I'll bet it was
> the mussels that did it.

We lived in that area (Rota, Navy base), and I *loved* it. No serious
illnesses in the four years we were there, but

leaving space for grossness that follows

my brother touched a poisonous caterpillar and then touched his eyes,
and had to have surgery to get the embedded caterpillar hairs off his
corneas.

ObFood: The peach cobbler is gone. It's gone. Two people ate a whole
peach cobbler in, like, four hours. That's just insane.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:17:17 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>The DH and I are doing something vaguely similar (is "vaguely similar"
>an oxymoron?) with our 14 yo granddaughter. We're taking her on a 2
>week road trip from southern California to (family in) Austin TX and
>back next month. Wandering around and stopping where we please.
>Carlsbad Cavern, Bisbee AZ, etc.

You're coming through New Mexico??? Anywhere near Albuquerque???

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Sky wrote:
>
> > Oh HOW Lovely!!!! What treasured memories!! Er, can I go back in
> > time and have you adopt me??? <G>

> Sure, why not.
>
> --
> Dave www.davebbq.com

Just say when & where <G>.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Steve Pope wrote:
>
> > Yes that's cool, and have a wonderful time.

> Thanks, Steve
>
> > My parents never (almost) took us on any vacations, but
> > their excuse was that as a military family we lived all
> > over the place anyway.

> My folks were the same. I grew up an Army brat :-)
>
> > There was one exception, a train trip led by my mother
> > from California to Wyoming and back, visiting relatives
> > in Sheridan and Jackson. Other than that, I was unfamiliar
> > with the concept of recreational travel until I got
> > to college and found out that nearly everybody did it.
> >
> > I will say in all my travel experience there is nothing better
> > than traveling about western North America. I was fortunate
> > to start doing it seriously by about age 20.
> >

> > Steve

> --
> Dave www.davebbq.com

As a navy brat, I remember cross-country journeys I'm sure my folks
considered were journeys into purgatory???!!! Are we there yet?!!!

Sky, BTDT too often! (fondly!)

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Dave Bugg wrote:
> >
> >> As for me, this is a bittersweet trip. It will be - just like the
> >> other trips - a wonderful and special time that I will always
> >> cherish. But it also marks a passage. It is the last trip of its kind
> >> that I will take since Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

> > Such a special story! Thanks for that, I loved reading that.

> You're welcome, Nancy. I'll post some highlights and pics when we get back.
> --
> Dave www.davebbq.com

I look forward to reading about the highlights! I hope your DS (and
you) keeps as journal as well Such things (journals) are treasures
for later dates. And, I don't mean a "dear diary" sort of thing either!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> >
> > Europe? You can keep it! Same for Canada.

> As a 10 year old, I may be inclined to agree, I thought teaching history wad
> dumb when I was in grammar school. As an adult, I enjoy going to both
> places as often as I can. Fantastic things to see in both places.
> Breathtaking view from a hillside in Canada, or just to sit and marvel at
> 1000 year old buildings in Europe and wonder what it was like building them.

I'm not sure what this is called, but it's definitely something like
"belated appreciation!"

I know if I had to a lot of stuff all over again as a kid (knowing what
I know now - yeah yeah) then I would be a lot smarter! <G>

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:43:05 GMT, "Dave Bugg" >
> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
>>Well, my youngest son, Ethan, just finished his high school sophomore
>>year. As I've done with each of my kids when they've reached this age,
>>I'll be taking him on a two week road trip to an area of America that
>>he has chosen to visit.
>>

> <snip>
>
> The DH and I are doing something vaguely similar (is "vaguely similar"
> an oxymoron?) with our 14 yo granddaughter. We're taking her on a 2
> week road trip from southern California to (family in) Austin TX and
> back next month. Wandering around and stopping where we please.
> Carlsbad Cavern, Bisbee AZ, etc. This will actually be the first
> vacation of over a few days' duration I've had in 4 or 5 years, so I'm
> really, really looking forward to it. Our only two ground rules for
> the granddaughter a no iPod or cell phone in the car while we're
> traveling. We'd actually like to have conversations as we travel!
>
> We're bringing the craptop along, so I'll post as we go.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> --
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
> old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
> waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."
>
> -- Duncan Hines
>
> To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Stop off and see the diving pig...I think that is in San Antonio. Near
the outlet stores.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> The DH and I are doing something vaguely similar (is "vaguely similar"
> an oxymoron?) with our 14 yo granddaughter. We're taking her on a 2
> week road trip from southern California to (family in) Austin TX and
> back next month. Wandering around and stopping where we please.
> Carlsbad Cavern, Bisbee AZ, etc.

> Our only two ground rules for
> the granddaughter a no iPod or cell phone in the car while we're
> traveling. We'd actually like to have conversations as we travel!
>
> We're bringing the craptop along, so I'll post as we go.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Thelma and Louise live! What a blast! I love teen-agers!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Huffy and Bubbles Do France: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> As for me, this is a bittersweet trip. It will be - just like the other
> trips - a wonderful and special time that I will always cherish. But it also
> marks a passage. It is the last trip of its kind that I will take since
> Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

Rock on, Dave!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Huffy and Bubbles Do France: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 11:42�pm, Sky > wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> > > Europe? �You can keep it! �Same for Canada.

> > As a 10 year old, I may be inclined to agree, I thought teaching history wad
> > dumb when I was in grammar school. �As an adult, I enjoy going to both
> > places as often as I can. �Fantastic things to see in both places.
> > Breathtaking view from a hillside in Canada, or just to sit and marvel at
> > 1000 year old buildings in Europe and wonder what it was like building them.

> I'm not sure what this is called, but it's definitely something like
> "belated appreciation!"

It's called "Youth is wasted on the young".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"> In article <dqZ3k.493$cm.337@trndny09>,
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
>> As for me, this is a bittersweet trip. It will be - just like the other
>> trips - a wonderful and special time that I will always cherish. But it
>> also
>> marks a passage. It is the last trip of its kind that I will take since
>> Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

That is awesome! Savor the experience brother.

KW

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 8:10*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > Serene Vannoy wrote:
> >> So sweet! Wish my parents had taken the time to spend one-on-one time
> >> with us kids the way you're doing. What a great gift.

> > You know what they say about the gift and the giver, Serene. *It's been a
> > blessing to me.

> Know what you mean. *My sister's kid is having trouble at home, so she's
> coming to live with us. *I think I'm even more excited than she is.
>
> Tomorrow's the day I become the parent of a teenager. *Whee!
>
> Serene

OMG- I'll think good thoughts your way. Best of luck!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Well, my youngest son, Ethan, just finished his high school sophomore year.
>As I've done with each of my kids when they've reached this age, I'll be
>taking him on a two week road trip to an area of America that he has chosen
>to visit.

<snip>

>The goal is to create a singular life-long memory for Ethan, so things are
>geared toward his needs and sensibilities. Nothing is set in stone so we can
>be flexible about what is going on and make changes as needed.
>
>As for me, this is a bittersweet trip. It will be - just like the other
>trips - a wonderful and special time that I will always cherish. But it also
>marks a passage. It is the last trip of its kind that I will take since
>Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

sounds like a sweet trip, dave. even if ethan doesn't remember it,
you will. happy trails!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <dqZ3k.493$cm.337@trndny09>,
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
>> As for me, this is a bittersweet trip. It will be - just like the
>> other trips - a wonderful and special time that I will always
>> cherish. But it also marks a passage. It is the last trip of its
>> kind that I will take since Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

> Rock on, Dave!

:-)

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KW wrote:
> "> In article <dqZ3k.493$cm.337@trndny09>,
>> "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>>
>>> As for me, this is a bittersweet trip. It will be - just like the
>>> other trips - a wonderful and special time that I will always
>>> cherish. But it also
>>> marks a passage. It is the last trip of its kind that I will take
>>> since Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

> That is awesome! Savor the experience brother.

I will :-)

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > news:dqZ3k.493$cm.337@trndny09: in
> rec.food.cooking
>

>> As for me, this is a bittersweet trip. It will be - just like the
>> other trips - a wonderful and special time that I will always
>> cherish. But it also marks a passage. It is the last trip of its
>> kind that I will take since Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

> Sounds like a very wonderful experience for both you and Ethan. One
> that neither of you will ever forget. Dude, burn the pavement and
> have a rockin' good time. Report the eats back here if you have time.

I will endeavor to do so, Michael. :-)
--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:43:05 GMT, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
>> Well, my youngest son, Ethan, just finished his high school
>> sophomore year. As I've done with each of my kids when they've
>> reached this age, I'll be taking him on a two week road trip to an
>> area of America that he has chosen to visit.

> <snip>
>
>> The goal is to create a singular life-long memory for Ethan, so
>> things are geared toward his needs and sensibilities. Nothing is set
>> in stone so we can be flexible about what is going on and make
>> changes as needed.
>>
>> As for me, this is a bittersweet trip. It will be - just like the
>> other trips - a wonderful and special time that I will always
>> cherish. But it also marks a passage. It is the last trip of its
>> kind that I will take since Ethan is the last child. Sigh.

> sounds like a sweet trip, dave. even if ethan doesn't remember it,
> you will. happy trails!

Thanks, Blake.
--
Dave www.davebbq.com

The Last Trip Dave Bugg Barbecue 22 13-06-2008 09:52 PM
Trip to nyc estherhoward Wine 0 13-11-2004 10:58 PM