Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food spoilage?

What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked food in the
refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks ok and smells ok...?

Yesterday (Wednesday) I threw out a heel of meatloaf I had prepared last
Saturday and had been eating since (I live alone and a meatloaf takes a
while to eat). Still looked and smelled fine but... The feral cats
outside enjoyed it anyhow.

How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?

TIA

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-06-05, Ken > wrote:

> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?

If, after eating it, you can shit through the eye of a needle at fifty feet,
you kept it too long.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in message
> On 2008-06-05, Ken > wrote:

>> How do you judge when to throw out something that
>> still seems ok?

> If, after eating it, you can shit through the eye of a needle
> at fifty feet, you kept it too long.

Now there's a visual going into lunch I didn't need...

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2008-06-05, Ken > wrote:
>
>> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?

> If, after eating it, you can shit through the eye of a needle at fifty
> feet,
> you kept it too long.
>
> nb

Rats, now I have cranberry juice all over my monitor!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked food in the
> refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks ok and smells ok...?
>
> Yesterday (Wednesday) I threw out a heel of meatloaf I had prepared last
> Saturday and had been eating since (I live alone and a meatloaf takes a
> while to eat). Still looked and smelled fine but... The feral cats
> outside enjoyed it anyhow.
>
> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

My hard and fast rule is that if it has green fuzz growing on it and it
wasn't originally green toss it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 12:23 pm, Ken > wrote:
> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked food in the
> refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks ok and smells ok...?
>
> Yesterday (Wednesday) I threw out a heel of meatloaf I had prepared last
> Saturday and had been eating since (I live alone and a meatloaf takes a
> while to eat). Still looked and smelled fine but... The feral cats
> outside enjoyed it anyhow.
>
> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken
>
> --
> "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
> remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

It depends on what your own system can handle. If you eat it and it
makes you sick afterwards, you kept it too long. I can't eat hamburger
after the 3rd day; hard boiled eggs the same; fried chicken the same.
Proteins are the most touchy things, for me. It doesn't always smell
or look bad when it is bad.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 1:23*pm, Ken > wrote:
> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked food in the
> refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks ok and smells ok...?
>
> Yesterday (Wednesday) I threw out a heel of meatloaf I had prepared last
> Saturday and had been eating since (I live alone and a meatloaf takes a
> while to eat). Still looked and smelled fine but... The feral cats
> outside enjoyed it anyhow.
>
> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?

I usually keep stuff a week before declaring it dead. Even if it
looks ok,
if it's 7 days old, it's gone.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken > wrote in message
> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked
> food in the refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks
> ok and smells ok...?

Not necessarily. I find certain cooked foods (ground beef,
fish, edamame) don't handle time very well. They break down
quickly but don't necessarily put off a stench more than when I
first sealed them in the package. But if I reheat them and eat
them, I'm as likely to spend the next 24 hating life.

One of my BIL can't smell anything -- even when it's gone
ff -- so he's quite likely to eat it unless it's become
penicillin. His internal system is much more error tolerant
than mine (or many members of his immediate family.)

My MIL's scheduled is:
Chicken/Turkey - 2 days refrigerated (2 months frozen)
Beef
gb - 3 days (3 months)
steak/roast - 4 days (3 months)

Fish - 1 day (3 months)
Pork
sausage - 4 days (6 months)
chops - 3 days (5 months)
roasts - 5 days (6 months)
Sauces -- 3 days (4 months)

She hasn't experienced an upset stomach from food longer than
I've been alive so I guess her table's pretty accurate.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 05 Jun 2008 12:39:24p, George Shirley told us...

> Ken wrote:
>> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked food in the
>> refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks ok and smells ok...?
>>
>> Yesterday (Wednesday) I threw out a heel of meatloaf I had prepared last
>> Saturday and had been eating since (I live alone and a meatloaf takes a
>> while to eat). Still looked and smelled fine but... The feral cats
>> outside enjoyed it anyhow.
>>
>> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Ken
>>

> My hard and fast rule is that if it has green fuzz growing on it and it
> wasn't originally green toss it.

What if it was originally green and originally had no fuzz? Is that
borderline?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2008-06-05, Ken > wrote:
>
> > How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?

> If, after eating it, you can shit through the eye of a needle at fifty feet,
> you kept it too long.

There is nothing like a good dose of food poisoning to inspire someone to pitch
old food in the garbage sooner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2008-06-05, Ken > wrote:
>
>> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?

> If, after eating it, you can shit through the eye of a needle at fifty feet,
> you kept it too long.

Wow! It really increases your accuracy that much? Cool!

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> Ken wrote:
>> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked food in the
>> refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks ok and smells ok...?
>>
>> Yesterday (Wednesday) I threw out a heel of meatloaf I had prepared last
>> Saturday and had been eating since (I live alone and a meatloaf takes a
>> while to eat). Still looked and smelled fine but... The feral cats
>> outside enjoyed it anyhow.
>>
>> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Ken
>>

> My hard and fast rule is that if it has green fuzz growing on it and it
> wasn't originally green toss it.

Also, if anything on it moves.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:

> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked food in the
> refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks ok and smells ok...?
>
> Yesterday (Wednesday) I threw out a heel of meatloaf I had prepared last
> Saturday and had been eating since (I live alone and a meatloaf takes a
> while to eat). Still looked and smelled fine but... The feral cats
> outside enjoyed it anyhow.
>
> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Maximum 5--6 days for anything that was *thoroughly* cooked the first
time; less for meats etc cooked 'rare'. That's assuming your fridge is
at the proper temp of 4 C/40 F (or slighly lower).

Divide up your meatloaf into slices, wrap it well and put it in the
freezer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 05 Jun 2008 12:39:24p, George Shirley told us...
>
> > Ken wrote:
> >> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked food in the
> >> refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks ok and smells ok...?
> >>
> >> Yesterday (Wednesday) I threw out a heel of meatloaf I had prepared last
> >> Saturday and had been eating since (I live alone and a meatloaf takes a
> >> while to eat). Still looked and smelled fine but... The feral cats
> >> outside enjoyed it anyhow.
> >>
> >> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Ken
> >>

> > My hard and fast rule is that if it has green fuzz growing on it and it
> > wasn't originally green toss it.
> >

> What if it was originally green and originally had no fuzz? Is that
> borderline?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Some years ago my mother came to visit me. She found something mouldy
at the back of my fridge, handed it to me and asked me if I was bringing
my work home with me I was doing microbiological research at the
time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 05 Jun 2008 04:58:21p, Arri London told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > My hard and fast rule is that if it has green fuzz growing on it and
>> > it wasn't originally green toss it.
>> >

>> What if it was originally green and originally had no fuzz? Is that
>> borderline?
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Some years ago my mother came to visit me. She found something mouldy
> at the back of my fridge, handed it to me and asked me if I was bringing
> my work home with me I was doing microbiological research at the
> time.

I have found a few "scientific experiments" in my fridge over the years, a
couple, if fact, that I couldn't even recognize what it was to begin with.
:-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote in message
> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked food in the
> refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks ok and smells ok...?
>
> Yesterday (Wednesday) I threw out a heel of meatloaf I had prepared last
> Saturday and had been eating since (I live alone and a meatloaf takes a
> while to eat). Still looked and smelled fine but... The feral cats
> outside enjoyed it anyhow.
>
> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?

I try to limit to 5 days, but the absolute maximum is 7 days. I often freeze
portions for lunches or quick dinners later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote

> Some years ago my mother came to visit me. She found something mouldy
> at the back of my fridge, handed it to me and asked me if I was bringing
> my work home with me I was doing microbiological research at the
> time.

Ack. One time my inlaws came over to spend the day while we were
at work. I happened to be in class that day. Suddenly I had a
horrible thought ... what if my mil found something to eat in the
refrigerator!! There was some scary stuff in there for some reason.

That's a bad habit I have, leaving stuff in there too long.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote

> That's a bad habit I have, leaving stuff in there too long.

I don't do this. I am the clutter queen, but having growing stuff
in my bath or kitchen just creeps me out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote

> It depends on what your own system can handle. If you eat it and it
> makes you sick afterwards, you kept it too long. I can't eat hamburger
> after the 3rd day; hard boiled eggs the same; fried chicken the same.
> Proteins are the most touchy things, for me. It doesn't always smell
> or look bad when it is bad.

Four days, max, for stuff like meatloaf, and I tend to toss everything
on the third day.

Stuff like tuna salad? Two days.

For me it is not a matter of whether it is spoiled. I don't want to eat
food that is not fresh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

> Ken > wrote in message
> > What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked
> > food in the refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks
> > ok and smells ok...?

> Not necessarily. I find certain cooked foods (ground beef,
> fish, edamame) don't handle time very well. They break down
> quickly but don't necessarily put off a stench more than when I
> first sealed them in the package. But if I reheat them and eat
> them, I'm as likely to spend the next 24 hating life.
>
> One of my BIL can't smell anything -- even when it's gone
> ff -- so he's quite likely to eat it unless it's become
> penicillin. His internal system is much more error tolerant
> than mine (or many members of his immediate family.)
>
> My MIL's scheduled is:
> Chicken/Turkey - 2 days refrigerated (2 months frozen)
> Beef
> gb - 3 days (3 months)
> steak/roast - 4 days (3 months)
>
> Fish - 1 day (3 months)
> Pork
> sausage - 4 days (6 months)
> chops - 3 days (5 months)
> roasts - 5 days (6 months)
> Sauces -- 3 days (4 months)
>
> She hasn't experienced an upset stomach from food longer than
> I've been alive so I guess her table's pretty accurate.
>
> The Ranger

FYI, on the frozen stuff, if it's kept frozen at 0F or below it will
remain safe to eat indefinitely. After a year or two the asthetic
quality may decline, but it will still be safe to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote
>
>> Some years ago my mother came to visit me. She found something mouldy
>> at the back of my fridge, handed it to me and asked me if I was bringing
>> my work home with me I was doing microbiological research at the
>> time.

> Ack. One time my inlaws came over to spend the day while we were
> at work. I happened to be in class that day. Suddenly I had a
> horrible thought ... what if my mil found something to eat in the
> refrigerator!! There was some scary stuff in there for some reason.
>
> That's a bad habit I have, leaving stuff in there too long.

That's one reason we aim for no leftovers. Leftovers tend to become
science experiments unless they're something that is really cut out for
being eaten a day or two later -- marinated salads, for instance -- or
something that people here will devour no matter how much there is --
lasagna, for instance.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ken > wrote:

> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked food in the
> refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks ok and smells ok...?
>
> Yesterday (Wednesday) I threw out a heel of meatloaf I had prepared last
> Saturday and had been eating since (I live alone and a meatloaf takes a
> while to eat). Still looked and smelled fine but... The feral cats
> outside enjoyed it anyhow.
>
> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Well my fridge keeps a steady 33F. Stuff lasts forever. I can have a
quart of milk a month before it spoils. But 5-7 days is my limit too. On
the short side for things with meat, a bit longer maybe for other things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. > wrote in message
> The Ranger wrote:
>> Ken > wrote in message
>> > What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked
>> > food in the refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks
>> > ok and smells ok...?

>> Not necessarily. I find certain cooked foods (ground
>> beef, fish, edamame) don't handle time very well. They
>> break down quickly but don't necessarily put off a
>> stench more than when I first sealed them in the package.
>> But if I reheat them and eat them, I'm as likely to spend
>> the next 24 hating life.
>>
>> One of my BIL can't smell anything -- even when it's gone
>> ff -- so he's quite likely to eat it unless it's become
>> penicillin. His internal system is much more error tolerant
>> than mine (or many members of his immediate family.)
>>
>> My MIL's scheduled is:
>> Chicken/Turkey - 2 days refrigerated (2 months frozen)
>> Beef
>> gb - 3 days (3 months)
>> steak/roast - 4 days (3 months)
>>
>> Fish - 1 day (3 months)
>> Pork
>> sausage - 4 days (6 months)
>> chops - 3 days (5 months)
>> roasts - 5 days (6 months)
>> Sauces -- 3 days (4 months)
>>
>> She hasn't experienced an upset stomach from food
>> longer than I've been alive so I guess her table's
>> pretty accurate.
>>

> FYI, on the frozen stuff, if it's kept frozen at 0F or
> below it will remain safe to eat indefinitely. After a
> year or two the asthetic quality may decline, but it
> will still be safe to eat.

True enough but I don't know of any non-professional rated
freezers that will hold food at a constant 0°F or less...

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Ken wrote:
>>> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked food in the
>>> refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks ok and smells ok...?
>>>
>>> Yesterday (Wednesday) I threw out a heel of meatloaf I had prepared
>>> last Saturday and had been eating since (I live alone and a
>>> meatloaf takes a while to eat). Still looked and smelled fine
>>> but... The feral cats outside enjoyed it anyhow.
>>>
>>> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Ken
>>>

>> My hard and fast rule is that if it has green fuzz growing on it and
>> it wasn't originally green toss it.

> Also, if anything on it moves.

Yep Anything trotting around my fridge wearing a green fur coat would get
the heave ho!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:38:15 -0700, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>Ken > wrote in message
>> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked
>> food in the refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks
>> ok and smells ok...?

>Not necessarily. I find certain cooked foods (ground beef,
>fish, edamame) don't handle time very well. They break down
>quickly but don't necessarily put off a stench more than when I
>first sealed them in the package. But if I reheat them and eat
>them, I'm as likely to spend the next 24 hating life.
>
>One of my BIL can't smell anything -- even when it's gone
>ff -- so he's quite likely to eat it unless it's become
>penicillin. His internal system is much more error tolerant
>than mine (or many members of his immediate family.)
>
>My MIL's scheduled is:
>Chicken/Turkey - 2 days refrigerated (2 months frozen)
>Beef
> gb - 3 days (3 months)
> steak/roast - 4 days (3 months)
>
>Fish - 1 day (3 months)
>Pork
> sausage - 4 days (6 months)
> chops - 3 days (5 months)
> roasts - 5 days (6 months)
>Sauces -- 3 days (4 months)
>
>She hasn't experienced an upset stomach from food longer than
>I've been alive so I guess her table's pretty accurate.
>
>The Ranger

Your MIL must throw out a lot of perfectly good food.
And, she'll keep pork sausage longer than chops?

Ross.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:38:15 -0700, "The Ranger"
>>Pork
>> sausage - 4 days (6 months)
>> chops - 3 days (5 months)

> Your MIL must throw out a lot of perfectly good food.
> And, she'll keep pork sausage longer than chops?
>
> Ross.

Depends on the sausages. In Umbria they are so salty you can hang them in
the garage and dry them with 0% spoilage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:38:15 -0700, "The Ranger"
> > wrote:
>>Ken > wrote in message
>>> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked
>>> food in the refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks
>>> ok and smells ok...?

>>Not necessarily. I find certain cooked foods (ground beef,
>>fish, edamame) don't handle time very well. They break down
>>quickly but don't necessarily put off a stench more than when
>>first sealed them in the package. But if I reheat them and
>>eat
>>them, I'm as likely to spend the next 24 hating life.
>>
>>One of my BIL can't smell anything -- even when it's gone
>>ff -- so he's quite likely to eat it unless it's become
>>penicillin. His internal system is much more error tolerant
>>than mine (or many members of his immediate family.)
>>
>>My MIL's scheduled is:
>>Chicken/Turkey - 2 days refrigerated (2 months frozen)
>>Beef
>> gb - 3 days (3 months)
>> steak/roast - 4 days (3 months)
>>
>>Fish - 1 day (3 months)
>>Pork
>> sausage - 4 days (6 months)
>> chops - 3 days (5 months)
>> roasts - 5 days (6 months)
>>Sauces -- 3 days (4 months)
>>
>>She hasn't experienced an upset stomach from food longer than
>>I've been alive so I guess her table's pretty accurate.
>>

> Your MIL must throw out a lot of perfectly good food.
> And, she'll keep pork sausage longer than chops?

She's _never_ been sick or made someone sick from something she
considers questionable. I'd say that's a pretty admirable track
record. Also, if it worries her, it's not perfectly good food;
she wouldn't be able to enjoy the food "wondering" throughout
the entire meal if she was going to get sick or cause someone
to get sick. <shrug>

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked food in the
> refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks ok and smells ok...?

General rule of thumb- 7 days is two days two late.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> What's your rule of thumb for throwing out cooked food in the
> refrigerator. I am never sure - if it looks ok and smells ok...?
>
> Yesterday (Wednesday) I threw out a heel of meatloaf I had prepared last
> Saturday and had been eating since (I live alone and a meatloaf takes a
> while to eat). Still looked and smelled fine but... The feral cats
> outside enjoyed it anyhow.
>
> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

If it's moldy or smells funny I throw it out. Otherwise
I consider it good to eat - and do!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>

>> "Arri London" > wrote
>>
>>> Some years ago my mother came to visit me. She found something mouldy
>>> at the back of my fridge, handed it to me and asked me if I was bringing
>>> my work home with me I was doing microbiological research at the
>>> time.

>> Ack. One time my inlaws came over to spend the day while we were
>> at work. I happened to be in class that day. Suddenly I had a
>> horrible thought ... what if my mil found something to eat in the
>> refrigerator!! There was some scary stuff in there for some reason.
>>
>> That's a bad habit I have, leaving stuff in there too long.

> That's one reason we aim for no leftovers. Leftovers tend to become
> science experiments unless they're something that is really cut out for
> being eaten a day or two later -- marinated salads, for instance -- or
> something that people here will devour no matter how much there is --
> lasagna, for instance.
>
> Serene

Almost everything I eat is leftovers. I cook a big batch
of something and eat it every day until it's gone - 1-3 weeks.
Most things last 1-2 weeks. My Brunswick stew tends to last 3
weeks as I always end up with a huge pot of it. Many things
taste better reheated. Especially soups and stews, which it
mostly what I make for convenience sake. But food that is
handled, cooked, and stored properly can last a good long time.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:12:15 -0400, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Almost everything I eat is leftovers. I cook a big batch
>of something and eat it every day until it's gone - 1-3 weeks.

Sounds like an exciting menu. Too bad we all don't have such variety.

>Most things last 1-2 weeks. My Brunswick stew tends to last 3
>weeks as I always end up with a huge pot of it.

I sure hope you at least freeze it in portions.

Lou <----hardly ever eats the same thing 2 days in a row.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote

> She's _never_ been sick or made someone sick from something she considers
> questionable. I'd say that's a pretty admirable track record. Also, if it
> worries her, it's not perfectly good food; she wouldn't be able to enjoy
> the food "wondering" throughout the entire meal if she was going to get
> sick or cause someone to get sick. <shrug>

"Never making someone sick" from one's cooking is not
a "pretty admirable track record," it is a requirement.

Jesus. Who wants to eat or serve ANYTHING that is not fresh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:14:09 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>notbob wrote:
>
>> On 2008-06-05, Ken > wrote:
>>
>>> How do you judge when to throw out something that still seems ok?

>> If, after eating it, you can shit through the eye of a needle at fifty feet,
>> you kept it too long.

>Wow! It really increases your accuracy that much? Cool!

blinky, blinky, blinky. for a man, accuracy matters only in ****ing.
(assuming while shitting you can at least hit the toilet.)

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:14:09 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>>notbob wrote:

>>> If, after eating it, you can shit through the eye of a needle at fifty
>>> feet,
>>> you kept it too long.

>>Wow! It really increases your accuracy that much? Cool!

> blinky, blinky, blinky. for a man, accuracy matters only in ****ing.
> (assuming while shitting you can at least hit the toilet.)

This is just precious. You two are clearly soul mates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> blinky, blinky, blinky. for a man, accuracy matters only in ****ing.
> (assuming while shitting you can at least hit the toilet.)

Having had a part time job as janitor in a restaurant when I was a student, I can
speak with some authority that men are much better at hitting the toilet in public
washrooms than women are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Never making someone sick" from one's cooking is not
> a "pretty admirable track record," it is a requirement.
>
> Jesus. Who wants to eat or serve ANYTHING that is not fresh?

Sometimes, those of us who are older than dirt, remember our
parents:

"Eat your food! There are children in China who are STARVING!" and
think we can't ever throw food out. LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>> "Never making someone sick" from one's cooking is not
>> a "pretty admirable track record," it is a requirement.
>>
>> Jesus. Who wants to eat or serve ANYTHING that is not fresh?

> Sometimes, those of us who are older than dirt, remember our
> parents:
>
> "Eat your food! There are children in China who are STARVING!" and
> think we can't ever throw food out. LOL.
>
> N.

Is aged cheese "fresh"? How about aged beef?
Many things are improved when prepared and then reheated. Stews and
chili often improve for example. Are they un-fresh?
What exactly *is* the definition of fresh?? A fruit or veg picked off
the plant the same day of eating...does that make one purchased days
after picking "un-fresh"??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 05 Jun 2008 04:58:21p, Arri London told us...
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thu 05 Jun 2008 12:39:24p, George Shirley told us...

> >> What if it was originally green and originally had no fuzz? Is that
> >> borderline?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright

> > Some years ago my mother came to visit me. She found something mouldy
> > at the back of my fridge, handed it to me and asked me if I was bringing
> > my work home with me I was doing microbiological research at the
> > time.
> >

> I have found a few "scientific experiments" in my fridge over the years, a
> couple, if fact, that I couldn't even recognize what it was to begin with.
> :-)

Hey at least my 'experiment' was recognisable, sort of. Was the last
time I let anything get mouldy in the fridge. For shame for shame
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:12:15 -0400, Kate Connally >
>wrote:
>
>>Almost everything I eat is leftovers. I cook a big batch
>>of something and eat it every day until it's gone - 1-3 weeks.

>Sounds like an exciting menu. Too bad we all don't have such variety.
>
>>Most things last 1-2 weeks. My Brunswick stew tends to last 3
>>weeks as I always end up with a huge pot of it.

>I sure hope you at least freeze it in portions.

Or you can use the Paki technique of just leaving it on the back of
the stove gently bubbling away forever. (New stuff chucked in when
available and meals ladelled out as required. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:07:06 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"The Ranger" > wrote
>>
>> She's _never_ been sick or made someone sick from something she considers
>> questionable. I'd say that's a pretty admirable track record. Also, if it
>> worries her, it's not perfectly good food; she wouldn't be able to enjoy
>> the food "wondering" throughout the entire meal if she was going to get
>> sick or cause someone to get sick. <shrug>
>>

>"Never making someone sick" from one's cooking is not
>a "pretty admirable track record," it is a requirement.
>
>Jesus. Who wants to eat or serve ANYTHING that is not fresh?

you don't eat all the meat you make for sandwiches on the day you cook
it, do you?

your pal,
blake

spoilage ? treetoad Winemaking 3 16-11-2005 12:16 AM
Spoilage R R Wine 4 10-10-2003 04:03 PM
Spoilage Pickle Winemaking 11 02-10-2003 06:25 AM
Spoilage Ian Hoare Wine 0 01-10-2003 01:14 PM
Spoilage Rich R Wine 0 01-10-2003 04:07 AM