Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default NY Oysters

Tried to post this a couple of days ago, but I've not seen it. If
it's a repeat, please forgive.

Interesting article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/dining/28oysters.htm
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
:

> Tried to post this a couple of days ago, but I've not seen it. If
> it's a repeat, please forgive.
>
> Interesting article:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/dining/28oysters.htm
> --

I suppose it's far enough away from Hudson Bay(?) to not get polluted.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

The path of a warrior never deviating,
one has to become not just a part of nature
but a force of nature,
acting in accordance with the laws of the universe.
(Getsumei No Michi, the Moonlit Path)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas wrote:
> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Tried to post this a couple of days ago, but I've not seen it. If
>> it's a repeat, please forgive.
>>
>> Interesting article:
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/dining/28oysters.htm
>> --
>>

> I suppose it's far enough away from Hudson Bay(?) to not get polluted.

The place in the article is a long distance from where the Hudson river
drains into the ocean and is pretty much exposed to the open ocean. But
the Hudson is much cleaner than it once was.

I read that now that has now caused an interesting problem. Previously
docks/piers would be eaten by various marine worms. But after large
companies such as GE started to discharge massive quantities of
pollutants into the river very few things would grow. So the wood never
needed replacing because nothing was eating it. Now the various "creepy
crawlies" have returned and more dock/pier maintenance needs to be
performed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2008 05:27:58 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas
> wrote:

>"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
:

>> Tried to post this a couple of days ago, but I've not seen it. If
>> it's a repeat, please forgive.
>>
>> Interesting article:
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/dining/28oysters.htm
>> --
>>

>I suppose it's far enough away from Hudson Bay(?) to not get polluted.

If you confused the Hudson River with Hudson Bay, is it alright that I
switch Brisbane and Port Moresby?

As stated in the article, the oyster beds under discussion are 90
miles east of Manhattan.
--

modom