Ol' Hippie

Default Oysters,,,,,,,

Smoked over a lump fire, served by the thousands, along with plenty of Brew
my favorite is the Downtown Brown.
Anyone that has half a chance to cook these puppies the reward is well worth
the trouble to pry them apart.
I actually had folks run over to my booth for sauce then go stand in line
for a half dozen Oysters. To each his own, but any good hot sauce is pretty
traditional and the fresh lemon of course
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Mark > wrote:
> []
> I tried smoking a dozen the other day and they were delicious.
>[]

Jun likes ta grill mussels, too. I'll hafta try smokin' some (need Bambu
instead of Zig-Zag). ;~.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/
Monroe, of course...

In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:26:55 GMT, Mark > wrote:
>
> >The canned version simply won't do anymore !

> Canned oysters? Surely you jest.
>
> I had about 30 oyster shooters yesterday (about a pound). Freshly
> shucked and raw is #1, with smoked or grilled coming in a distant
> #2.
>
> The ones yeaterday were pre-shucked and a couple days old. They
> were completely tasteless.
>
> Canned. Heh.

Ain't following the 'aint got no R' rule very well are ya?
The onliest oysters I ever see in the summer are canned.

monroe(dont shoot no rabbits either)

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Ain't following the 'aint got no R' rule very well are ya?
> The onliest oysters I ever see in the summer are canned.
>
> monroe(dont shoot no rabbits either)

Headin' up to the Oyster House with my two youngest daughters tonight. The
older, who is breastfeeding, asked me if she could eat raw oysters. Warm
water (Gulf of Mexico) oysters tend to be the most contaminated. OH tells
me their oysters are from the North Atlantic, so I told her that, adding,
if yer worried, order something cooked. I'll prolly have a couple of dozen,
but I'm not breastfeeding!

(make sure ya get all them 'grains of rice' off the rabbit innards!

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://operationiraqichildren.org/

Douglas Barber

wrote:

> "Monroe, of course..." > wrote:
>
>>[ . . . ]
>>Ain't following the 'aint got no R' rule very well are ya?
>>The onliest oysters I ever see in the summer are canned.
>>
>>monroe(dont shoot no rabbits either)

> Headin' up to the Oyster House with my two youngest daughters tonight. The
> older, who is breastfeeding, asked me if she could eat raw oysters. Warm
> water (Gulf of Mexico) oysters tend to be the most contaminated. OH tells
> me their oysters are from the North Atlantic, so I told her that, adding,
> if yer worried, order something cooked. I'll prolly have a couple of dozen,
> but I'm not breastfeeding!
>
> (make sure ya get all them 'grains of rice' off the rabbit innards!

"R" rule pretty much works for the Chesapeake Bay season here in
Maryland, not sure about Virginia or the Atlantic side of VA or MD.
Worked in a restaurant here and I believe our fresh oysters in summer
were coming from up north, seem to recall New Jersey...sure they come
from many other places as well, but not here, this time of year....I
suspect that "R" rule goes back to a time when most all the oysters were
coming from the prodigious hauls being taken from the Chesapeake at a
time when the blue crab was of no interest to anyone 'cept the oystermen
who needed something to eat once they'd sold all their oysters....

Arsters are still somewhat big business where I live, though there's not
one person in the state can make a living on them alone any more,
anyways the folks that harvest them, if they eat them at all, eat them
raw. Think some cattlemen have almost that sensibility about their
handiwork

Jack Sloan

"Monroe, of course..." > wrote in message
> In article >, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:26:55 GMT, Mark > wrote:
> >
> > >The canned version simply won't do anymore !

> > Canned oysters? Surely you jest.
> >
> > I had about 30 oyster shooters yesterday (about a pound). Freshly
> > shucked and raw is #1, with smoked or grilled coming in a distant
> > #2.
> >
> > The ones yeaterday were pre-shucked and a couple days old. They
> > were completely tasteless.
> >
> > Canned. Heh.

> Ain't following the 'aint got no R' rule very well are ya?
> The onliest oysters I ever see in the summer are canned.
>
> monroe(dont shoot no rabbits either)

They got a flash freeze process for oysters now that is said to really work.
There's a plant just about 15 miles south of here on Dickenson Bayou that
produces such a product.
Jack( who likes winter bunnies)

Tyler Hopper

"Mark" > wrote in message
et...
> In article >,
> postulated...
> > Smoked over a lump fire, served by the thousands, along with plenty of Brew
> > my favorite is the Downtown Brown.
> > Anyone that has half a chance to cook these puppies the reward is well worth
> > the trouble to pry them apart.
> > I actually had folks run over to my booth for sauce then go stand in line
> > for a half dozen Oysters. To each his own, but any good hot sauce is pretty
> > traditional and the fresh lemon of course
> > Bruce-n-Gold Beach

> I tried smoking a dozen the other day and they were delicious.
>
> Note for next time:
>
> 1) Try them plain (i.e no rub)
> 2) Use only the lightest smearing of olive oil to coat them with (used
> too much this time).
>
> The canned version simply won't do anymore !
>
> --
>
> Mark

Try this. I posted it about 5 yrs. ago.

Cajun Martini Oysters:

1 cup of vodka (preferably Ketel One, Belvedere, Absolut, etc.)
Minuscule quantity of vermouth
2 Tbsp. of finely chopped jalapeno or serrano pepper
2 Tbsp. of finely chopped onion or shallot
Oysters on the 1/2 shell

Put the vodka, pepper, and onions in a jar. Wave the open bottle of vermouth
over the jar without actually spilling any of it. Alternatively, place jar close
to your mouth and whisper "vermouth". Put the jar in the freezer for a couple of
days. Put a martini glass in the freezer at the same time.

Get the grill ready.

Shuck the oysters and put each on a 1/2 shell.

Spoon a little of the martini mixture over each oyster. Return jar to freezer.

Place on the grill and cook just until "the lips curl". Remove from grill.

Remove jar and martini glass from freezer. Pour remaining jar contents into
martini glass and sample it. (If you are a real Philistine you would probably
put ice in the glass.)

(This would probably be a good time to start making up excuses to your wife as
to why you got so shit faced.)

Consume oysters one at a time. Be sure to take one or more sips of the martini
between each one.

_________
ht_redneck

Ol' Hippie

To be specific these Oysters are all from Humboldt Bay Eureka/Arcata
California, all are cooked over a fairly hot fire till the little devils
finally give it up and open easily.
Last time I did them I cooked them over an indirect alder wood fire till the
suns-a-guns looked like I was near burning them, the smoke flavor permeated
the shells and the meat was just amazing !
Bruce-n-Gold Beach Oregun

Jesse Skeens

"Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message news:<WoGCc.10311$> Cajun Martini Oysters:

I was in Key West last week and had an "oyster shot". Basically an
oyster in the bottom of a tall shot glass, add some coctail sauce on
top and then fill with Pepper Vodka. Pretty good.
Douglas Barber

Jesse Skeens wrote:
> "Tyler Hopper" > wrote in message news:<WoGCc.10311$> Cajun Martini Oysters:
>

> I was in Key West last week and had an "oyster shot". Basically an
> oyster in the bottom of a tall shot glass, add some coctail sauce on
> top and then fill with Pepper Vodka. Pretty good.

Lawd have mersah.