Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eating after dental work...

is a strange experience!
I am, apparently, hard to numb. The dentist said it has to do with bone density, and
said that it's good to have it, but makes it harder to numb. So, after seeing in my
chart that the last attempt at fixing this tooth resulted in 5 shots of Novocain and
lots of throwing up, he tried something new. I think it's called Marcaine? He didn't
tell me until after the needle was in that it lasts 8 or more hours! It did numb me,
for which I am grateful, but eating was not easy to do the rest of the day! Luckily,
I still feel somewhat numb, so there's no pain ;-)

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 17, 12:34*am, "Nexis" > wrote:
> is a strange experience!
> I am, apparently, hard to numb. The dentist said it has to do with bone density, and
> said that it's good to have it, but makes it harder to numb. So, after seeing in my
> chart that the last attempt at fixing this tooth resulted in 5 shots of Novocain and
> lots of throwing up, he tried something new. I think it's called Marcaine? He didn't
> tell me until after the needle was in that it lasts 8 or more hours! It did numb me,
> for which I am grateful, but eating was not easy to do the rest of the day! Luckily,
> I still feel somewhat numb, so there's no pain ;-)
>
> kimberly

==================================

Never, never let them numb both sides at the same time.
All you do for the next several meals is drool.

Lynn in Fargo
Needing a boatload of dental work and not trusting any dentist who
takes Medical Assistance (Medicaid)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 16 May 2008 10:34:49p, Nexis told us...

> is a strange experience!
> I am, apparently, hard to numb. The dentist said it has to do with bone
> density, and said that it's good to have it, but makes it harder to
> numb. So, after seeing in my chart that the last attempt at fixing this
> tooth resulted in 5 shots of Novocain and lots of throwing up, he tried
> something new. I think it's called Marcaine? He didn't tell me until
> after the needle was in that it lasts 8 or more hours! It did numb me,
> for which I am grateful, but eating was not easy to do the rest of the
> day! Luckily, I still feel somewhat numb, so there's no pain ;-)
>

> kimberly

Coincidentally, a week ago I went to the dentist with a very painful tooth,
to learn that it was a very bad abscess. I've been taking an anti-
infective drug since then and Percoset as needed for pain. I went this
morning to have the tooth extracted. The dentist remarked, from looking at
the x-ray, that he had seldom seen anyone with teeth that had such long
roots. Just what I wanted to hear. :-( In any event, he may have used
that same local anesthetic on me, because it remained numb far longer than
anything else I'd experienced before. Boy, when that finally wore off
tonight I thought I'd hit the ceiling with pain, so took a dose of
Percoset, which has helped somewhat. I *wish* I was still numb! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Best to just not eat. You can easily bite your tongue or cheek and cause
some real damage. 8 hours without food is just not a big deal. If you just
can't stand it, some fruit juices or soup would be fine. I just had a crown
put on and they had to pump me full of 3 times the normal novacain dose at
both sittings. I just waited until later that night to eat.

Paul

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> is a strange experience!
> I am, apparently, hard to numb. The dentist said it has to do with bone
> density, and said that it's good to have it, but makes it harder to numb.
> So, after seeing in my chart that the last attempt at fixing this tooth
> resulted in 5 shots of Novocain and lots of throwing up, he tried
> something new. I think it's called Marcaine? He didn't tell me until after
> the needle was in that it lasts 8 or more hours! It did numb me, for which
> I am grateful, but eating was not easy to do the rest of the day! Luckily,
> I still feel somewhat numb, so there's no pain ;-)
>

> kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 184...
> On Fri 16 May 2008 10:34:49p, Nexis told us...
>
>> is a strange experience!
>> I am, apparently, hard to numb. The dentist said it has to do with bone
>> density, and said that it's good to have it, but makes it harder to
>> numb. So, after seeing in my chart that the last attempt at fixing this
>> tooth resulted in 5 shots of Novocain and lots of throwing up, he tried
>> something new. I think it's called Marcaine? He didn't tell me until
>> after the needle was in that it lasts 8 or more hours! It did numb me,
>> for which I am grateful, but eating was not easy to do the rest of the
>> day! Luckily, I still feel somewhat numb, so there's no pain ;-)
>>

>> kimberly
>>

> Coincidentally, a week ago I went to the dentist with a very painful tooth,
> to learn that it was a very bad abscess. I've been taking an anti-
> infective drug since then and Percoset as needed for pain. I went this
> morning to have the tooth extracted. The dentist remarked, from looking at
> the x-ray, that he had seldom seen anyone with teeth that had such long
> roots. Just what I wanted to hear. :-( In any event, he may have used
> that same local anesthetic on me, because it remained numb far longer than
> anything else I'd experienced before. Boy, when that finally wore off
> tonight I thought I'd hit the ceiling with pain, so took a dose of
> Percoset, which has helped somewhat. I *wish* I was still numb! :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Oh, Wayne, you have my sympathies! Abscesses suck, big time.
I have problem teeth because when I was pregnant, I had hyperemesis
which is just a nice way of saying I threw up all the time...morning, noon, and
night.
Because of all the acid washing over my teeth, and in spite of constant brushing as
much as I could stand, I lost some of the enamel, which makes me really prone to
cavities and breakage.
It's 1:23 am, and I was at the dentist at 10 am...and the numb is just starting to
wear
off now! I took a motrin/tylenol combo for the pain, which is more in my jaw than
anything else. That was the longest I have ever been numb! lol

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message news:hvwXj.5107$4K5.149@trnddc03...
> Best to just not eat. You can easily bite your tongue or cheek and cause some real
> damage. 8 hours without food is just not a big deal. If you just can't stand it,
> some fruit juices or soup would be fine. I just had a crown put on and they had to
> pump me full of 3 times the normal novacain dose at both sittings. I just waited
> until later that night to eat.
>
> Paul

The numbing was pretty localized to my upper lip and the gums around 3 teeth, so
I wasn't too worried about biting my tongue or cheek. Not eating would be ok for
most folks, I think, but being diabetic, it's not terribly good for me. I did stick
with
easy to eat foods...but the not feeling my upper lip thing was just odd! :-) It was
especially so when drinking out of a straw because it was hard to tell if I really
had it
in my mouth- lol.

kimberly

> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>> is a strange experience!
>> I am, apparently, hard to numb. The dentist said it has to do with bone density,
>> and said that it's good to have it, but makes it harder to numb. So, after seeing
>> in my chart that the last attempt at fixing this tooth resulted in 5 shots of
>> Novocain and lots of throwing up, he tried something new. I think it's called
>> Marcaine? He didn't tell me until after the needle was in that it lasts 8 or more
>> hours! It did numb me, for which I am grateful, but eating was not easy to do the
>> rest of the day! Luckily, I still feel somewhat numb, so there's no pain ;-)
>>

>> kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in message
On May 17, 12:34 am, "Nexis" > wrote:
<snip>

>Never, never let them numb both sides at the same time.
>All you do for the next several meals is drool.

>Lynn in Fargo
>Needing a boatload of dental work and not trusting any dentist who
>takes Medical Assistance (Medicaid)

LOL! Thankfully, they only numbed the front, so I didn't drool too much! ;-)

It's wearing off now, I can feel my nose again :-)

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 17 May 2008 01:25:41a, Nexis told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> . 184...
>> On Fri 16 May 2008 10:34:49p, Nexis told us...
>>
>>> is a strange experience!
>>> I am, apparently, hard to numb. The dentist said it has to do with
>>> bone density, and said that it's good to have it, but makes it harder
>>> to numb. So, after seeing in my chart that the last attempt at fixing
>>> this tooth resulted in 5 shots of Novocain and lots of throwing up, he
>>> tried something new. I think it's called Marcaine? He didn't tell me
>>> until after the needle was in that it lasts 8 or more hours! It did
>>> numb me, for which I am grateful, but eating was not easy to do the
>>> rest of the day! Luckily, I still feel somewhat numb, so there's no
>>> pain ;-)
>>>

>>> kimberly
>>>

>> Coincidentally, a week ago I went to the dentist with a very painful
>> tooth, to learn that it was a very bad abscess. I've been taking an
>> anti- infective drug since then and Percoset as needed for pain. I
>> went this morning to have the tooth extracted. The dentist remarked,
>> from looking at the x-ray, that he had seldom seen anyone with teeth
>> that had such long roots. Just what I wanted to hear. :-( In any
>> event, he may have used that same local anesthetic on me, because it
>> remained numb far longer than anything else I'd experienced before.
>> Boy, when that finally wore off tonight I thought I'd hit the ceiling
>> with pain, so took a dose of Percoset, which has helped somewhat. I
>> *wish* I was still numb! :-)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Oh, Wayne, you have my sympathies! Abscesses suck, big time.
> I have problem teeth because when I was pregnant, I had hyperemesis
> which is just a nice way of saying I threw up all the time...morning,
> noon, and night.
> Because of all the acid washing over my teeth, and in spite of constant
> brushing as much as I could stand, I lost some of the enamel, which
> makes me really prone to cavities and breakage.
> It's 1:23 am, and I was at the dentist at 10 am...and the numb is just
> starting to wear
> off now! I took a motrin/tylenol combo for the pain, which is more in my
> jaw than anything else. That was the longest I have ever been numb! lol
>
> kimberly

Thanks, Kimberly. I can really appreciate the problem with lost enamel,
too, although I wasn't pregnant and throwing up. :-) For an unknown
reason, I lost most of the enamel on my lower front four teeth years ago.
They became so sensitive I could barely stand to eat, or extremes of either
hot or cold. I didn't have cavities in them or any breakage, but the
dentist said the only solution was to put crowns on them. I haven't had
any problems since then, but I do have some other dental problems that I'm
not looking forward to resolving. There always seems to be pain involved.

I can't substantiate this, but I read somewhere years ago that dentists, as
a category of occupation, have the highest incidence of suicide, presumably
because of how they patients feel about going to the dentist, and that they
are frequently causing pain. It sounds a bit far-fetched, but not totally
implausible.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Armed Forces Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 1dys 22hrs 35mins
Definition of Terror: A female Klingon
having a bad hair day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

After my extraction today, I've had nothing but liquids; cream soups,
milkshakes, plain ice cream, etc. I'll probably continue that for a couple
of days, mainly because I'm paranoid about getting any particles of food in
the cavity left by the extraction.

Wayne

On Sat 17 May 2008 01:16:13a, Paul M. Cook told us...

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Armed Forces Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 1dys 22hrs 25mins
Butterflies. If you throw it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 16 May 2008 10:34:49p, Nexis told us...
>
>> is a strange experience!
>> I am, apparently, hard to numb. The dentist said it has to do with
>> bone density, and said that it's good to have it, but makes it
>> harder to numb. So, after seeing in my chart that the last attempt
>> at fixing this tooth resulted in 5 shots of Novocain and lots of
>> throwing up, he tried something new. I think it's called Marcaine?
>> He didn't tell me until after the needle was in that it lasts 8 or
>> more hours! It did numb me, for which I am grateful, but eating was
>> not easy to do the rest of the day! Luckily, I still feel somewhat
>> numb, so there's no pain ;-)
>>

>> kimberly
>>

> Coincidentally, a week ago I went to the dentist with a very painful
> tooth, to learn that it was a very bad abscess. I've been taking an
> anti- infective drug since then and Percoset as needed for pain. I
> went this morning to have the tooth extracted. The dentist remarked,
> from looking at the x-ray, that he had seldom seen anyone with teeth
> that had such long roots. Just what I wanted to hear. :-( In any
> event, he may have used that same local anesthetic on me, because it
> remained numb far longer than anything else I'd experienced before.
> Boy, when that finally wore off tonight I thought I'd hit the ceiling
> with pain, so took a dose of Percoset, which has helped somewhat. I
> *wish* I was still numb! :-)

I feel your pain. I also have had dental work done this last couple of
weeks. I don't know what anaesthetic he used but I was numb for a while and
was very careful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I can't substantiate this, but I read somewhere years ago that
> dentists, as a category of occupation, have the highest incidence of
> suicide, presumably because of how they patients feel about going to
> the dentist, and that they are frequently causing pain. It sounds a
> bit far-fetched, but not totally implausible.

Heh. I don't think that includes my dentist. He is a very jolly fellow)
He knows how I hate needles so he doesn't tell me about it, he just creeps
up on me ))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> is a strange experience!
> I am, apparently, hard to numb. The dentist said it has to do with bone
> density, and said that it's good to have it, but makes it harder to numb.
> So, after seeing in my chart that the last attempt at fixing this tooth
> resulted in 5 shots of Novocain and lots of throwing up, he tried
> something new. I think it's called Marcaine? He didn't tell me until after
> the needle was in that it lasts 8 or more hours! It did numb me, for which
> I am grateful, but eating was not easy to do the rest of the day! Luckily,
> I still feel somewhat numb, so there's no pain ;-)
>

> kimberly

He might have had a bad batch of Novacaine. Doesn't happen often, but it
does happen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>> is a strange experience!
>> I am, apparently, hard to numb. The dentist said it has to do with bone density,
>> and said that it's good to have it, but makes it harder to numb. So, after seeing
>> in my chart that the last attempt at fixing this tooth resulted in 5 shots of
>> Novocain and lots of throwing up, he tried something new. I think it's called
>> Marcaine? He didn't tell me until after the needle was in that it lasts 8 or more
>> hours! It did numb me, for which I am grateful, but eating was not easy to do the
>> rest of the day! Luckily, I still feel somewhat numb, so there's no pain ;-)
>>

>> kimberly

> He might have had a bad batch of Novacaine. Doesn't happen often, but it does
> happen.

I almost wish that were the case! It's been a life-long thing...Novocain just doesn't
seem to do it for me :-)

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote

> Because of all the acid washing over my teeth, and in spite of constant
> brushing

Change that to "because of constant brushing" ... if you throw up, you
aren't supposed to brush, just rinse to get the acid off. Too late now,
unfortunately. Aren't there rinses now that replace enamel? If there
are, I'm sure your dentist recommended them already.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 17 May 2008 01:52:18a, Ophelia told us...

>> I can't substantiate this, but I read somewhere years ago that
>> dentists, as a category of occupation, have the highest incidence of
>> suicide, presumably because of how they patients feel about going to
>> the dentist, and that they are frequently causing pain. It sounds a
>> bit far-fetched, but not totally implausible.

> Heh. I don't think that includes my dentist. He is a very jolly
> fellow) He knows how I hate needles so he doesn't tell me about it, he
> just creeps up on me ))

You're lucky!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Armed Forces Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 1dys 16hrs 40mins
If a man has had any connection with
Harvard University, the Marine Corps,
or the State of Texas, he will find a

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 17 May 2008 01:52:18a, Ophelia told us...
>
>>> I can't substantiate this, but I read somewhere years ago that
>>> dentists, as a category of occupation, have the highest incidence of
>>> suicide, presumably because of how they patients feel about going to
>>> the dentist, and that they are frequently causing pain. It sounds a
>>> bit far-fetched, but not totally implausible.

>> Heh. I don't think that includes my dentist. He is a very jolly
>> fellow) He knows how I hate needles so he doesn't tell me about it, he
>> just creeps up on me ))

> You're lucky!

Mine is four years older than I am and I'm older than mud. In addition
he hums under his breath the whole time he's working and he's starting
to slip in his work. I'm looking for a new dentist now but no one I know
will recommend their's so I guess I'll have to Google every damned
dentist in town to see if there are many or any complaints against them.

I hate changing medical people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 17 May 2008 01:52:18a, Ophelia told us...
>
>>> I can't substantiate this, but I read somewhere years ago that
>>> dentists, as a category of occupation, have the highest incidence of
>>> suicide, presumably because of how they patients feel about going to
>>> the dentist, and that they are frequently causing pain. It sounds a
>>> bit far-fetched, but not totally implausible.

>> Heh. I don't think that includes my dentist. He is a very jolly
>> fellow) He knows how I hate needles so he doesn't tell me about
>> it, he just creeps up on me ))

> You're lucky!

yes I know He is the best dentist I have had, although he charges an
arm and a leg!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Nexis" > wrote
>
>> Because of all the acid washing over my teeth, and in spite of constant brushing

> Change that to "because of constant brushing" ... if you throw up, you
> aren't supposed to brush, just rinse to get the acid off. Too late now,
> unfortunately. Aren't there rinses now that replace enamel? If there
> are, I'm sure your dentist recommended them already.
>
> nancy

Actually, they gave me this stuff called MI paste...tastes horrible, but it's
supposed to help.
It's supposed to be strawberry flavored. Whatever. If strawberries tasted like that,
no one
would ever eat them! lol
I also use Sensodyne Pro Enamel, which was recommended by Birdie, the gal who does my
cleanings.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Aren't there rinses now that replace enamel? If there
>> are, I'm sure your dentist recommended them already.

> Actually, they gave me this stuff called MI paste...tastes horrible, but
> it's supposed to help.
> It's supposed to be strawberry flavored. Whatever. If strawberries tasted
> like that, no one
> would ever eat them! lol

(laugh) Just let it taste bad, trying to flavor it makes it worse.

> I also use Sensodyne Pro Enamel, which was recommended by Birdie, the gal
> who does my cleanings.

That's probably what I was thinking of.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:34:49 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

> It did numb me,
>for which I am grateful, but eating was not easy to do the rest of the day!

I wouldn't worry about the eating part, it's just a few hours. You
can always go for liquids like smoothies, if it's hard to chew. I'd
be more annoyed by the talking part and feeling like I had a fat
tongue or lip.

>Luckily,
>I still feel somewhat numb, so there's no pain ;-)

That's the good part. Hopefully, you won't have pain after it wears
off. I had a split tooth that took 2 two hour sessions to fix. My
jaw was very sore for days after, not from the tooth but from having
to be open so wide for such an extended period of time.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2008 01:25:41 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>Oh, Wayne, you have my sympathies! Abscesses suck, big time.
>I have problem teeth because when I was pregnant, I had hyperemesis
>which is just a nice way of saying I threw up all the time...morning, noon, and
>night.
>Because of all the acid washing over my teeth, and in spite of constant brushing as
>much as I could stand, I lost some of the enamel, which makes me really prone to
>cavities and breakage.

Talk to your dentist about coating them. I have good teeth, so I
can't tell you what they use these days, probably some sort of
plastic. I had a period in college when I was under enough stress
that my mouth chemistry changed and I had a flurry of cavities. When
I remarked to the Dr. about how unusual it was, he coated my teeth
with fluoride and the cavities stopped. I haven't had any since.

Here's an FYI...
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0312125606.htm

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2008 08:37:19 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 17 May 2008 01:25:41a, Nexis told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> . 184...
>>> On Fri 16 May 2008 10:34:49p, Nexis told us...

>>> Coincidentally, a week ago I went to the dentist with a very painful
>>> tooth, to learn that it was a very bad abscess. I've been taking an
>>> anti- infective drug since then and Percoset as needed for pain. I
>>> went this morning to have the tooth extracted. The dentist remarked,
>>> from looking at the x-ray, that he had seldom seen anyone with teeth
>>> that had such long roots. Just what I wanted to hear. :-( In any
>>> event, he may have used that same local anesthetic on me, because it
>>> remained numb far longer than anything else I'd experienced before.
>>> Boy, when that finally wore off tonight I thought I'd hit the ceiling
>>> with pain, so took a dose of Percoset, which has helped somewhat. I
>>> *wish* I was still numb! :-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright

>> Oh, Wayne, you have my sympathies! Abscesses suck, big time.
>> I have problem teeth because when I was pregnant, I had hyperemesis
>> which is just a nice way of saying I threw up all the time...morning,
>> noon, and night.
>> Because of all the acid washing over my teeth, and in spite of constant
>> brushing as much as I could stand, I lost some of the enamel, which
>> makes me really prone to cavities and breakage.
>> It's 1:23 am, and I was at the dentist at 10 am...and the numb is just
>> starting to wear
>> off now! I took a motrin/tylenol combo for the pain, which is more in my
>> jaw than anything else. That was the longest I have ever been numb! lol
>>
>> kimberly

>Thanks, Kimberly. I can really appreciate the problem with lost enamel,
>too, although I wasn't pregnant and throwing up. :-) For an unknown
>reason, I lost most of the enamel on my lower front four teeth years ago.
>They became so sensitive I could barely stand to eat, or extremes of either
>hot or cold. I didn't have cavities in them or any breakage, but the
>dentist said the only solution was to put crowns on them. I haven't had
>any problems since then, but I do have some other dental problems that I'm
>not looking forward to resolving. There always seems to be pain involved.
>
>I can't substantiate this, but I read somewhere years ago that dentists, as
>a category of occupation, have the highest incidence of suicide, presumably
>because of how they patients feel about going to the dentist, and that they
>are frequently causing pain. It sounds a bit far-fetched, but not totally
>implausible.

I somehow have my doubts about that. We now have the 3rd generation
of dentists from one family. In fact there are 2 dentists in the 3rd
generation.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote
> Heh. I don't think that includes my dentist. He is a very jolly
> fellow) He knows how I hate needles so he doesn't tell me about it, he
> just creeps up on me ))

haha! Really, I don't think it would be advantageous to have a super
sensitive
dentist. Better jolly, get in there, get it done, get out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote
>> Heh. I don't think that includes my dentist. He is a very jolly
>> fellow) He knows how I hate needles so he doesn't tell me about
>> it, he just creeps up on me ))
>>

> haha! Really, I don't think it would be advantageous to have a super
> sensitive
> dentist. Better jolly, get in there, get it done, get out.

Yep That is Andy my dentist)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2008 12:07:44 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

>I somehow have my doubts about that. We now have the 3rd generation
>of dentists from one family. In fact there are 2 dentists in the 3rd
>generation.

There are worst ways to make a living! I would hate being a roofer or
in any profession that made me work near hot tar all day long.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 17 May 2008 10:07:44a, The Cook told us...

> On Sat, 17 May 2008 08:37:19 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat 17 May 2008 01:25:41a, Nexis told us...
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> . 184...

>>> Oh, Wayne, you have my sympathies! Abscesses suck, big time.
>>> I have problem teeth because when I was pregnant, I had hyperemesis
>>> which is just a nice way of saying I threw up all the time...morning,
>>> noon, and night. Because of all the acid washing over my teeth, and in
>>> spite of constant brushing as much as I could stand, I lost some of
>>> the enamel, which makes me really prone to cavities and breakage.
>>> It's 1:23 am, and I was at the dentist at 10 am...and the numb is just
>>> starting to wear
>>> off now! I took a motrin/tylenol combo for the pain, which is more in
>>> my jaw than anything else. That was the longest I have ever been numb!
>>> lol
>>>
>>> kimberly

>>Thanks, Kimberly. I can really appreciate the problem with lost enamel,
>>too, although I wasn't pregnant and throwing up. :-) For an unknown
>>reason, I lost most of the enamel on my lower front four teeth years
>>ago. They became so sensitive I could barely stand to eat, or extremes
>>of either hot or cold. I didn't have cavities in them or any breakage,
>>but the dentist said the only solution was to put crowns on them. I
>>haven't had any problems since then, but I do have some other dental
>>problems that I'm not looking forward to resolving. There always seems
>>to be pain involved.
>>
>>I can't substantiate this, but I read somewhere years ago that dentists,
>>as a category of occupation, have the highest incidence of suicide,
>>presumably because of how they patients feel about going to the dentist,
>>and that they are frequently causing pain. It sounds a bit far-fetched,
>>but not totally implausible.

> I somehow have my doubts about that. We now have the 3rd generation
> of dentists from one family. In fact there are 2 dentists in the 3rd
> generation.

You're probably right, Susan. As I said, it was something that I read many
years ago and cannot substantiate it. Looking briefly this morning, I
haven't found anything that confirmed it at all.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Armed Forces Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 1dys 13hrs 15mins
Save the whales! Collect the whole set!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> Mine is four years older than I am and I'm older than mud. In addition
> he hums under his breath the whole time he's working and he's starting
> to slip in his work. I'm looking for a new dentist now but no one I know
> will recommend their's so I guess I'll have to Google every damned
> dentist in town to see if there are many or any complaints against them.
>
> I hate changing medical people.

Yep. Almost every woman you talk to will say the worst part about
moving a long distance is finding a new gynecologist.
:-(

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 17 May 2008 09:09:27a, Nexis told us...

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Nexis" > wrote
>>
>>> Because of all the acid washing over my teeth, and in spite of
>>> constant brushing

>> Change that to "because of constant brushing" ... if you throw up, you
>> aren't supposed to brush, just rinse to get the acid off. Too late
>> now, unfortunately. Aren't there rinses now that replace enamel? If
>> there are, I'm sure your dentist recommended them already.
>>
>> nancy

> Actually, they gave me this stuff called MI paste...tastes horrible, but
> it's supposed to help.
> It's supposed to be strawberry flavored. Whatever. If strawberries
> tasted like that, no one
> would ever eat them! lol
> I also use Sensodyne Pro Enamel, which was recommended by Birdie, the
> gal who does my cleanings.
>
> kimberly

I've used Sensodyne toothpaste for years, but I'll have to look at this
version. Thanks, Kimberly.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Armed Forces Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 1dys 13hrs 10mins
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but
nobody wants to die.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> You're probably right, Susan. As I said, it was something that I read many
> years ago and cannot substantiate it. Looking briefly this morning, I
> haven't found anything that confirmed it at all.

I read the same thing, Wayne, you didn't dream it up. Didn't
seem plausible to me, either. As I recall, dentists also had a bad
habit of losing all their money in bad investments and maybe that's
why they'd commit suicide. I have no idea if that's true, either.
But I do remember reading about that issue.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:54:08 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>On May 17, 12:34*am, "Nexis" > wrote:
>> is a strange experience!
>> I am, apparently, hard to numb. The dentist said it has to do with bone density, and
>> said that it's good to have it, but makes it harder to numb. So, after seeing in my
>> chart that the last attempt at fixing this tooth resulted in 5 shots of Novocain and
>> lots of throwing up, he tried something new. I think it's called Marcaine? He didn't
>> tell me until after the needle was in that it lasts 8 or more hours! It did numb me,
>> for which I am grateful, but eating was not easy to do the rest of the day! Luckily,
>> I still feel somewhat numb, so there's no pain ;-)
>>
>> kimberly

>==================================
>
>Never, never let them numb both sides at the same time.
>All you do for the next several meals is drool.
>
>Lynn in Fargo

i enjoy drinking beer from a bottle when my mouth has been
half-numbed. a unique sensation, hard to describe.

(but then i enjoy drinking beer from a bottle under most
circumstances.)

your pilsner pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 17 May 2008 09:55:30a, sf told us...

> On Sat, 17 May 2008 01:25:41 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:
>

>>Oh, Wayne, you have my sympathies! Abscesses suck, big time.
>>I have problem teeth because when I was pregnant, I had hyperemesis
>>which is just a nice way of saying I threw up all the time...morning,
>>noon, and night. Because of all the acid washing over my teeth, and in
>>spite of constant brushing as much as I could stand, I lost some of the
>>enamel, which makes me really prone to cavities and breakage.

> Talk to your dentist about coating them. I have good teeth, so I
> can't tell you what they use these days, probably some sort of
> plastic. I had a period in college when I was under enough stress
> that my mouth chemistry changed and I had a flurry of cavities. When
> I remarked to the Dr. about how unusual it was, he coated my teeth
> with fluoride and the cavities stopped. I haven't had any since.
>
> Here's an FYI...
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0312125606.htm

Actually, BTDT year ago and had the flouride treatment every 6 months for a
number of years. No doubt it probably helped, but my teeth (although they
look perfect) are not in very good shape. I suspect I will end up with
dentures within the next few years. Tbe thought of that itself doesn't
bother me too much, but the thought of the extractions and the pain really
does.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Armed Forces Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 1dys 13hrs 5mins
The secret of success is sincerity.
Once you can fake that, you've got it
made. --Jean Giraudoux
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 17 May 2008 10:50:03a, sf told us...

> On Sat, 17 May 2008 12:07:44 -0500, The Cook >
> wrote:
>
>>I somehow have my doubts about that. We now have the 3rd generation
>>of dentists from one family. In fact there are 2 dentists in the 3rd
>>generation.

> There are worst ways to make a living! I would hate being a roofer or
> in any profession that made me work near hot tar all day long.

Aw, gee, and I thought maybe you'd want to join my tar and feathering
business.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Armed Forces Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 1dys 11hrs 55mins
I've got an overload of bottomless
thought right here in my left fist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 17 May 2008 11:52:16a, Nancy Young told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>
>> You're probably right, Susan. As I said, it was something that I read

many
>> years ago and cannot substantiate it. Looking briefly this morning, I
>> haven't found anything that confirmed it at all.

> I read the same thing, Wayne, you didn't dream it up. Didn't
> seem plausible to me, either. As I recall, dentists also had a bad
> habit of losing all their money in bad investments and maybe that's
> why they'd commit suicide. I have no idea if that's true, either.
> But I do remember reading about that issue.
>
> nancy

Thanks, nancy. At least it wasn't all in my imagination. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Armed Forces Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 1dys 11hrs 55mins
I've got an overload of bottomless
thought right here in my left fist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> is a strange experience!
> I am, apparently, hard to numb. The dentist said it has to do with bone density, and
> said that it's good to have it, but makes it harder to numb. So, after seeing in my
> chart that the last attempt at fixing this tooth resulted in 5 shots of Novocain and
> lots of throwing up, he tried something new. I think it's called Marcaine? He didn't
> tell me until after the needle was in that it lasts 8 or more hours! It did numb me,
> for which I am grateful, but eating was not easy to do the rest of the day! Luckily,
> I still feel somewhat numb, so there's no pain ;-)

If you want an interesting experience, have a sip of beer. For some reason, cold beer
feels hot in a frozen mouth.

I am hoping not to have to endure any more freezing for a while. I had to have the roots
of a tooth removed last month. My dentist said that he could do it. After 40 minutes of
poking, prodding and yanking, he gave up and sent me to a dental surgeon. Luckily. I was
able to get an appointment for the next week. My mouth was just starting to feel better
from the first bout of torture. The surgeon froze me up and then sliced the gum to get
at the root. I could hear the sound of the gum being cut but didn't feel anything. A
few hours later when the freezing started to wear off I started to feel it :-(
Luckily, he gave me a prescription for some good pain killers.

It is nice to be able to eat regularly again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Coincidentally, a week ago I went to the dentist with a very painful tooth,
> to learn that it was a very bad abscess. I've been taking an anti-
> infective drug since then and Percoset as needed for pain. I went this
> morning to have the tooth extracted. The dentist remarked, from looking at
> the x-ray, that he had seldom seen anyone with teeth that had such long
> roots. Just what I wanted to hear. :-( In any event, he may have used
> that same local anesthetic on me, because it remained numb far longer than
> anything else I'd experienced before. Boy, when that finally wore off
> tonight I thought I'd hit the ceiling with pain, so took a dose of
> Percoset, which has helped somewhat. I *wish* I was still numb! :-)

You poor dear! You have my empathy. I had my mouth and neck nuked about
a year and a half ago and I know only too well how bad oral pain can be.

Feel better soon. I wish I could send you some chicken soup.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> Yep. Almost every woman you talk to will say the worst part about
> moving a long distance is finding a new gynecologist.
> :-(
>
> gloria p

I still go back to New Jersey every year to see mine. (I also see my
kids and grandkids <g>) He delivered all 3 of my children. Several
years later he removed the "revenue generator"

I had no problem changing physicians or dentists, but somehow it feels
almost adulterous to see a different gyno.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2008 19:08:44 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 17 May 2008 10:50:03a, sf told us...
>
>> On Sat, 17 May 2008 12:07:44 -0500, The Cook >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I somehow have my doubts about that. We now have the 3rd generation
>>>of dentists from one family. In fact there are 2 dentists in the 3rd
>>>generation.

>> There are worst ways to make a living! I would hate being a roofer or
>> in any profession that made me work near hot tar all day long.
>>

>Aw, gee, and I thought maybe you'd want to join my tar and feathering
>business.

<backing away slowly trying not to tick off Wayne>

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 17 May 2008 01:40:20p, Janet Wilder told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Coincidentally, a week ago I went to the dentist with a very painful
>> tooth, to learn that it was a very bad abscess. I've been taking an
>> anti- infective drug since then and Percoset as needed for pain. I
>> went this morning to have the tooth extracted. The dentist remarked,
>> from looking at the x-ray, that he had seldom seen anyone with teeth
>> that had such long roots. Just what I wanted to hear. :-( In any
>> event, he may have used that same local anesthetic on me, because it
>> remained numb far longer than anything else I'd experienced before.
>> Boy, when that finally wore off tonight I thought I'd hit the ceiling
>> with pain, so took a dose of Percoset, which has helped somewhat. I
>> *wish* I was still numb! :-)
>>

> You poor dear! You have my empathy. I had my mouth and neck nuked about
> a year and a half ago and I know only too well how bad oral pain can be.

Thank you so much, Janet. It sounds like you had it far worse than I did.
I trust everything is fine now.

> Feel better soon. I wish I could send you some chicken soup.

Thanks, again. It's offers like that that make me wish Star Trek's little
machine was a reality. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Armed Forces Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 1dys 8hrs 20mins
'Nothing so immunizes the brain to
evidence as ideology.' - O.W.Holmes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 17 May 2008 02:14:02p, sf told us...

> On Sat, 17 May 2008 19:08:44 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat 17 May 2008 10:50:03a, sf told us...

>>> There are worst ways to make a living! I would hate being a roofer or
>>> in any profession that made me work near hot tar all day long.
>>>

>>Aw, gee, and I thought maybe you'd want to join my tar and feathering
>>business.

> <backing away slowly trying not to tick off Wayne>

Have no fear, you could never be a target, uh, customer. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Armed Forces Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
1wks 1dys 8hrs 15mins
'What a maroon!' -- Bugs Bunny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 16 May 2008 10:34:49p, Nexis told us...
>
>> is a strange experience!
>> I am, apparently, hard to numb. The dentist said it has to do with bone
>> density, and said that it's good to have it, but makes it harder to
>> numb. So, after seeing in my chart that the last attempt at fixing this
>> tooth resulted in 5 shots of Novocain and lots of throwing up, he tried
>> something new. I think it's called Marcaine? He didn't tell me until
>> after the needle was in that it lasts 8 or more hours! It did numb me,
>> for which I am grateful, but eating was not easy to do the rest of the
>> day! Luckily, I still feel somewhat numb, so there's no pain ;-)
>>

>> kimberly

Piggybacking on Wayne's post because the original post by nexis didn't
show up. It sounds like your dentist gave you too much Marcaine I have
never had it last longer then 4 or 5 hours. My dentist gives me a faster
acting agent so he can start work and then follows it up by Marcaine.