Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Stuffed Acorn Squash

I ran across this while searching for info on the farmer's market at the
Agricenter. I haven't made it yet but I love acorn squash and I love wild
rice. What could go wrong? LOL I only have two acorn squash so I'll have
to adjust the recipe accordingly. I also have to find apple brandy first.

Wild Stuffed Acorn Squash
a.. 3 large acorn squash, halved (lengthwise) and seeded
b.. 2 tablespoons olive oil
c.. 1 small onion, minced
d.. 2 cloves garlic, minced
e.. 1/2 cup apple brandy
f.. 1/4 cup apple cider
g.. 3 cups cooked long-grain wild rice
h.. 3 cups cooked wild rice
i.. 2 egg yolks
j.. 1 cup toasted pecans
k.. 1 cup grated Gouda cheese
l.. 1 tablespoon fresh sage
m.. 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
n.. Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place squash in a large baking dish and set
aside. Heat oil in a large saute pan over high heat until hot. Add onions
and garlic. Saute 2 minutes. remove pan from heat and carefully add brandy
and cider. Set pan over high heat and reduce until mixture is nearly
evaporated, about 4 minuutes. Remove pan from heat and let cool.

Transfer cooled mixture to a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, mixing
well. Divide stuffing among prepared squash. Bake until squash is tender,
about an hour. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 4:23*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I ran across this while searching for info on the farmer's market at the
> Agricenter. *I haven't made it yet but I love acorn squash and I love wild
> rice. *What could go wrong? LOL *I only have two acorn squash so I'll have
> to adjust the recipe accordingly. *I also have to find apple brandy first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I ran across this while searching for info on the farmer's market at the
> Agricenter. I haven't made it yet but I love acorn squash and I love wild
> rice. What could go wrong? LOL

It seems to be missing the sausage.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I ran across this while searching for info on the farmer's market at
>> the Agricenter. I haven't made it yet but I love acorn squash and I
>> love wild rice. What could go wrong? LOL

> It seems to be missing the sausage.

LOL no, it's not! If I wanted sausage I'd add it, silly.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 3:23*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I ran across this while searching for info on the farmer's market at the
> Agricenter. *I haven't made it yet but I love acorn squash and I love wild
> rice. *What could go wrong? LOL *I only have two acorn squash so I'll have
> to adjust the recipe accordingly. *I also have to find apple brandy first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> On May 13, 3:23*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > I ran across this while searching for info on the farmer's market at the
> > Agricenter. *I haven't made it yet but I love acorn squash and I love wild
> > rice. *What could go wrong? LOL *I only have two acorn squash so I'll have
> > to adjust the recipe accordingly. *I also have to find apple brandy first.

> > Jill

> Around here, apple brandy is really expensive (relatively) especially
> if you don't drink it or use it in anything else.

It's AKA "Calvados" and it's wonderful. Mix one part of that with two
parts of spice-mulled apple juice in a mug and nuke it until steaming
when you have cold (it won't cure the cold, but you won't care).

Check at a Trader Joe's if you have one handy.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 May 2008 21:28:15 -0700, isw > wrote:

>It's AKA "Calvados" and it's wonderful. Mix one part of that with two
>parts of spice-mulled apple juice in a mug and nuke it until steaming
>when you have cold (it won't cure the cold, but you won't care).
>
>Check at a Trader Joe's if you have one handy.

Calvados is the french stuff. Apple brandy is American. Either is
good, but Calvados is better.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:23:35 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>I ran across this while searching for info on the farmer's market at the
>Agricenter. I haven't made it yet but I love acorn squash and I love wild
>rice. What could go wrong? LOL

posting random recipes, jill? tsk, tsk.

your pal,
blake