Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default America's Test Kitchen

Anyone watch it this week? I'm making the chicken chili and cornbread
tomorrow. We were drooling watching the show.

And I was drooling over the 100-year-old cast iron skillet they had.
I just can't seem to keep mine seasoned. I have to keep starting
over.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Anyone watch it this week? I'm making the chicken chili and cornbread
> tomorrow. We were drooling watching the show.
>
> And I was drooling over the 100-year-old cast iron skillet they had.
> I just can't seem to keep mine seasoned. I have to keep starting
> over.

Could be what you are using it for. I try to use mine only for dishes that
don't involve deglazing. If you are adding wine, lemon juice or anything
acidic to the pan it will take some or all of the seasoning off it. It took
a while to realize that was the major drawback for me in keeping the pan
well seasoned.

Also don't wash it with soap. Ever.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Anyone watch it this week? I'm making the chicken chili and cornbread
> tomorrow. We were drooling watching the show.
>
> And I was drooling over the 100-year-old cast iron skillet they had.
> I just can't seem to keep mine seasoned. I have to keep starting
> over.

Then you are abusing it! I read all the time people explaining the correct
way to keep it seasoned, so what's wrong? Mine is about 108 years old. It
was my granny's and will be my kid's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:41:02 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> I read all the time people explaining the correct
>way to keep it seasoned, so what's wrong?

I don't know. I'll season it a few times, and then when I cook with
it, food sticks....bad! By the time I get the food scrubbed off, the
pan is no longer seasoned.

A couple weeks ago (I can't remember what I cooked in it), it was so
bad I decided to start from scratch. I put it in the oven and ran the
self-clean. Then I washed off all the ash, and I've been
re-seasoning. I haven't cooked with it since, but I'm going to use it
for that cornbread this week.

I heat the pan up on the stove really hot, then I put some crisco in
it and let that cook for a while. Then when the pan is cool, I wipe
out the excess with a paper towel. Is that right?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a phobia about not washing any pan. I wash my seasoned cast
iron pan, dry it immediately with a paper towel, spray it with Pam and
rub it in the pan with a paper towel.

The food never sticks, and I have no problems with rusting, and my
cast iron pan is black and well seasoned.

iuki

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> schrieb :
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:41:02 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:
>
>> I read all the time people explaining the correct
>>way to keep it seasoned, so what's wrong?

> I don't know. I'll season it a few times, and then when I cook with
> it, food sticks....bad! By the time I get the food scrubbed off, the
> pan is no longer seasoned.
>
> A couple weeks ago (I can't remember what I cooked in it), it was so
> bad I decided to start from scratch. I put it in the oven and ran the
> self-clean. Then I washed off all the ash, and I've been
> re-seasoning. I haven't cooked with it since, but I'm going to use it
> for that cornbread this week.
>
> I heat the pan up on the stove really hot, then I put some crisco in
> it and let that cook for a while. Then when the pan is cool, I wipe
> out the excess with a paper towel. Is that right?

No.
Use some peanut or sunflower seed oil.
Heat the pan, pour in a little oil and wipe the pan with a newspaper.
Wipe until newspaper doesn't show fat.
Let it cool.
Repeat that at least 5 or 6 times before you cook with it.

That's the way it's cleaned, too (without pouring oil in).
My seasoned pans never see water or soap.

My oldest pan has been in the family for at least 200 years; still
works perfectly.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:41:02 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:
>
>> I read all the time people explaining the correct
>>way to keep it seasoned, so what's wrong?

> I don't know. I'll season it a few times, and then when I cook with
> it, food sticks....bad! By the time I get the food scrubbed off, the
> pan is no longer seasoned.
>
> A couple weeks ago (I can't remember what I cooked in it), it was so
> bad I decided to start from scratch. I put it in the oven and ran the
> self-clean. Then I washed off all the ash, and I've been
> re-seasoning. I haven't cooked with it since, but I'm going to use it
> for that cornbread this week.
>
> I heat the pan up on the stove really hot, then I put some crisco in
> it and let that cook for a while. Then when the pan is cool, I wipe
> out the excess with a paper towel. Is that right?

I personally heat it, add grease, scrub off with salt to grind the grease
into the pores. I rarely have to do that, but every once in a while someone
who doesn't understand cast iron helps in the kitchen. I have done it more
often with my steel wok, which does get scraped more when I make sticky
sauces.

To clean, I run some clear hot water in if there is residue, use a steel
curly scrubber to remove anything, then rinse, dry and heat on a burner. If
there is no residue, I use salt and a paper towel to clean the pan or wok.

You may want to re-season every use for a while until it's really really
solidly seasoned, and still it is possible for something to stick a tiny
bit. It is not Teflon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ha scritto nel messaggio
>I have a phobia about not washing any pan. I wash my seasoned cast
> iron pan, dry it immediately with a paper towel, spray it with Pam and
> rub it in the pan with a paper towel.
>
> The food never sticks, and I have no problems with rusting, and my
> cast iron pan is black and well seasoned.
>
> iuki

No it isn't. Seasoned doesn't just mean food doesn't stick to it, it means
that a part of every meal cooked in it remains and flavors foods cooked
later.
Since you need to heat it very hot to dry it afterward, it will be cleaner
than a SS pot that has just come from the dishwasher.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 1:18*pm, wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:41:02 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:
>
> > *I read all the time people explaining the correct
> >way to keep it seasoned, so what's wrong?

> I don't know. *I'll season it a few times, and then when I cook with
> it, food sticks....bad! *By the time I get the food scrubbed off, the
> pan is no longer seasoned.
>
> A couple weeks ago (I can't remember what I cooked in it), it was so
> bad I decided to start from scratch. *I put it in the oven and ran the
> self-clean. *Then I washed off all the ash, and I've been
> re-seasoning. *I haven't cooked with it since, but I'm going to use it
> for that cornbread this week.
>
> I heat the pan up on the stove really hot, then I put some crisco in
> it and let that cook for a while. *Then when the pan is cool, I wipe
> out the excess with a paper towel. *Is that right?

Use your cast iron pan as a roasting pan. I used mine repeatedly for
pork roast, and it's now as slick as a whistle and beautifully
seasoned.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:46:53 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>Use your cast iron pan as a roasting pan.

Thanks for all the tips!

I will say, my carbon still wok is jet black and completely non-stick.
So I did something right there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:22:29 GMT, wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:46:53 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>

>>Use your cast iron pan as a roasting pan.

>Thanks for all the tips!
>
>I will say, my carbon still wok is jet black and completely non-stick.
>So I did something right there.

apply the same practices to your frying pan and you should be set.

your pal,
blake