jmcquown

Default Presentation, presentation, presentation!

Anyone else think this price is ridiculous?

http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/ca...rod3810076&cmC
at=search&_requestid=4275

Granted, I can't make puff pastry look like a fish, but puleeeze

Jill

Herself

jmcquown > wrote:

> Anyone else think this price is ridiculous?
>
> http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/ca...rod3810076&cmC
> at=search&_requestid=4275
>
> Granted, I can't make puff pastry look like a fish, but puleeeze

A hundred bucks!? Yeah, little outrageous. And no guarantee on taste
(er...in the mouth.).

--
'Tis Herself
Frogleg

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:47:52 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Anyone else think this price is ridiculous?
>
>http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/ca...rod3810076&cmC
>at=search&_requestid=4275
>
>Granted, I can't make puff pastry look like a fish, but puleeeze

Yes, it is pretty pricey. However, don't sell yourself short. Dear
Julia has shown how to combine puff pastry and fish in a fish-shaped
thing. I don't believe she mentioned a seafood mousseline filling, but
it only took 30 mintues (TV time) :-)
jmcquown

Frogleg wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:47:52 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Anyone else think this price is ridiculous?

http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/ca...rod3810076&cmC
>> at=search&_requestid=4275
>>
>> Granted, I can't make puff pastry look like a fish, but puleeeze

> Yes, it is pretty pricey. However, don't sell yourself short. Dear
> Julia has shown how to combine puff pastry and fish in a fish-shaped
> thing. I don't believe she mentioned a seafood mousseline filling, but
> it only took 30 mintues (TV time) :-)

Uh huh, and how many "takes" over 2 hours? I think I actually have a
fish-shaped copper (jello) mold someplace in one of my boxes... that would
make it easier, wouldn't it? <G>

Jill

Anny Middon

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Anyone else think this price is ridiculous?

http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/ca...rod3810076&cmC
> at=search&_requestid=4275
>
> Granted, I can't make puff pastry look like a fish, but puleeeze

I got a Chef's catalog the other day, and I thought just about all the foods
they presented were way overpriced. I can get good chicken enchiladas
locally for a lot less than $70 for 24. And $40 for 2 quarts of tortilla
soup? The gourmet biscuits may be delicious, but $45 for 2 dozen? (Plus
$13.50 for shipping!)

There are a lot of comapnies offering pre-made entrees and sides for large
sums of money, so there must be a market.

Anny

Frogleg

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 06:44:31 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Frogleg wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:47:52 -0500, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:
>>> Granted, I can't make puff pastry look like a fish, but puleeeze

>> Yes, it is pretty pricey. However, don't sell yourself short. Dear
>> Julia has shown how to combine puff pastry and fish in a fish-shaped
>> thing. I don't believe she mentioned a seafood mousseline filling, but
>> it only took 30 mintues (TV time) :-)

>Uh huh, and how many "takes" over 2 hours? I think I actually have a
>fish-shaped copper (jello) mold someplace in one of my boxes... that would
>make it easier, wouldn't it? <G>

No, Jill. I don't think a fish mold is the answer. You got y'r fish
and y'r puff pastry (from the freezer case, unless you're
over-supplied with spare time and butter). Fish doesn't have to be (or
even *should* be) a fish-shaped critter. Doesn't even have to be
*fish*, for that matter -- could be a flatish meatloaf. One rectangle
of puff pastry; one layer of fish thing (or meatloaf). Another
rectangle of puff pastry to cover. The usual "brush edges with egg
wash to stick together." Carve a fish shape -- shallow empty tail;
blunt head. Carve shallow cuts for "scales". Use puff pastry scraps
for a fin or 2. Indent an eye. Carve a smile. Bake. Cute as can be.
jmcquown

Frogleg wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 06:44:31 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Frogleg wrote:
>>> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:47:52 -0500, "jmcquown"
>>>
>>> Yes, it is pretty pricey. However, don't sell yourself short. Dear
>>> Julia has shown how to combine puff pastry and fish in a fish-shaped
>>> thing. I don't believe she mentioned a seafood mousseline filling,
>>> but it only took 30 mintues (TV time) :-)

>> Uh huh, and how many "takes" over 2 hours? I think I actually have a
>> fish-shaped copper (jello) mold someplace in one of my boxes... that
>> would make it easier, wouldn't it? <G>

> No, Jill. I don't think a fish mold is the answer. You got y'r fish
> and y'r puff pastry (from the freezer case, unless you're
> over-supplied with spare time and butter). Fish doesn't have to be (or

even *should* be) a fish-shaped critter. Doesn't even have to be
> *fish*, for that matter -- could be a flatish meatloaf. One rectangle
> of puff pastry; one layer of fish thing (or meatloaf). Another
> rectangle of puff pastry to cover. The usual "brush edges with egg
> wash to stick together." Carve a fish shape -- shallow empty tail;
> blunt head. Carve shallow cuts for "scales". Use puff pastry scraps
> for a fin or 2. Indent an eye. Carve a smile. Bake. Cute as can be.

I can handle crab cakes, they are round. I could even handle Beef
Wellington, whether it be a whole beef filet or individual ones. Fish
shaped puff pastry I shall pass on, thanks

Jill

Frogleg

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:30:07 GMT, "Anny Middon"
> wrote:

>I got a Chef's catalog the other day, and I thought just about all the foods
>they presented were way overpriced. I can get good chicken enchiladas
>locally for a lot less than $70 for 24. And $40 for 2 quarts of tortilla
>soup? The gourmet biscuits may be delicious, but $45 for 2 dozen? (Plus
>$13.50 for shipping!)
>
>There are a lot of comapnies offering pre-made entrees and sides for large
>sums of money, so there must be a market.

Precisely. If you have money and not time, expertise, or interest, you
can probably put together a pretty nice buffet with mail-order or
catered foods. A bunch of biscuits, delivered, has overhead costs of
certified kitchen, packaging, and shipping, AND profit in addition to
ingredients. I can make cheese biscuits with a 33-cent biscuit mix, an
ounce of grated cheese, a little garlic powder, 2 minutes of prep and
8 minutes for baking. If I had a lot of money and a lot of guests
coming, I might opt for a caterer or mail order sources instead of
clever kitchen work for a couple of weeks. "What the traffic will
bear" is not an unreasonable principle. Ooh. I see those biscuits. Who
on earth...? But evidently some people *will* order 'em. Of course,
they *are* "packed by hand." :-)
Bob Pastorio

jmcquown wrote:

> Anyone else think this price is ridiculous?
>
> http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/ca...rod3810076&cmC
> at=search&_requestid=4275
>
> Granted, I can't make puff pastry look like a fish, but puleeeze

The price is high. I'd have charged that much in my restaurants or
country clubs.

Two things:
1) this fish is made of brioche, not puff pastry, and
2) you certainly can make a fish puff pastry.

Wrap the fish in bread dough of any kind and you'll get near this one.

As for making one from puff pastry, it's a snap. Frozen puff pastry
sheets, fish filet (or two), seasonings (and/or a mousseline), egg.
Lay down a sheet of thawed puff pastry. Brush it all over with egg.
Lay the filet on it (I always do it diagonally so I can trim it to
look more like a fish), top it with mousseline or just season it, top
with second filet if using. Lay out another sheet of puff pastry and
brush it with egg. Lay it egg side down on the fish to cover it such
that there's at least an inch of overlap all the way around (TIP: you
might want to gently roll the top layer of puff paste out a bit to
make it larger to be able to cover the mound of fish before egging
it.). Press the edges all the way around to seal. It won't look like
the one in the picture. It'll have seams at the edges unlike the one
wrapped in brioche.

With a very sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the outline of a fish out
of the pastry making sure to keep at least 1/2 inch away from fish
filets. Use trimmings to add eyes, fins and gills. Press lines into
fins and tail. You goddit.

Pastorio

jmcquown

Bob Pastorio wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Anyone else think this price is ridiculous?

http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/ca...rod3810076&cmC
>> at=search&_requestid=4275
>>
>> Granted, I can't make puff pastry look like a fish, but puleeeze

> The price is high. I'd have charged that much in my restaurants or
> country clubs.
>
> Two things:
> 1) this fish is made of brioche, not puff pastry, and
> 2) you certainly can make a fish puff pastry.

I'd rather not

> Pastorio

Jill

Presentation z z General Cooking 32 23-05-2012 05:18 AM
PRESENTATION HAMIDA General Cooking 0 12-05-2008 08:14 PM
Another Rib Eye Presentation DWACON General Cooking 5 13-02-2006 04:53 AM
decoration and presentation. [email protected] General Cooking 2 26-10-2005 05:11 PM
How important is presentation? Hassen bin Lai Sushi 2 05-10-2004 08:25 PM